DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Change in Plans, atn Kabria

Visar Falmaien

A dark-haired young man rode northwest on his mount, already weary of traveling.  Torvus squinted, his keen, tilted eyes observing shadowed shapes on the distant horizon.

Those are not trees.  I must not be far, then.

"Hyah!" he kicked his spurs sharply into his horse, Bastion, urging the stallion to pick up the pace.  He was almost there.  He had been riding for three days now, with almost no sign of any civilization.  But he would reach the village soon.  And then, with luck, he would be able to take a bath and rest in a real bed.  It would certainly do wonders to the aches and sores he had accumulated.  He was too tired to do more than take off his boots when he finally got to his room at the inn.

Later the next morning, Torvus let out a contented sigh, soaking in a warm bath.  What would he do without the finer points of civilization, he wondered?  Without a bath and bed, he probably wouldn't do much better for himself than a trolloc.  Finishing, Torvus awkwardly got out of the small wooden tub.  Limping to a towel, he dried himself off with his left hand, and slowly dressed, putting on his small-clothes, breeches, shirt and short coat, and boots.  It was difficult to dress with only one functional hand, but Torvus was beginning to manage.  He wished it didn't take so long, however.  Finally, he fastened his bracer to his right hand.  That helped since he could now grip some things, but it was still a slow process.

After a while, Torvus was fully dressed and ready to go down to break his fast.  He felt like he had not eaten anything in days.  Clutching his stomach with his right hand, Torvus descended the stairs carefully.

"Good morning" he said to one of the passing serving maids, hoping that she would notice his presence and serve him some food as quickly as possible.  He limped across the common room, glancing around at the other guests.  Most seemed to be from the area, but a pair caught his eye: a well dressed woman and a swordsman who looked like he knew how to use his weapon.  Averting his gaze lest the warrior take some offense, Torvus limped over to the bar, resisting the urge to glance back at them.  He took the nearest available stool and slowly sat down, tucking his injured leg so that he could get back up if he had to on his good leg.

"Brandy, double please." he ordered gruffly as the serving maid came over.  She gave him a disapproving, incredulous look, but went to talk to the innkeeper to get some brandy.  "And whatever food you have this morning, too." Torvus added to her back.  He hoped he would not have to repeat his order.

His legs and sides ached from traveling, and he had not had any spirits to dull the pain for two days.  It was never too early for a nice, strong drink in his opinion, however much others disapproved for someone as young as he drinking so early in the morning.

His drink delivered, though with a stern reminder that it would cost extra, Torvus paid up and was glad to be left alone.  After a while, he finished his drink and started eating.  Bread, cheese, and a beef and potato stew warmed up from last night, with a bit of spicy ice peppers mixed in.  Not much, but it was fresh enough and far better than hard tack and dried fruit.  Torvus asked for another brandy.  This was going to be a good day, he thought.  Might as well face it properly inebriated so that he would not be in as much pain.

-Torvus

Kabria had nearly reached the end of her rope and the end of her reserve of strength. If she drew anymore from Perivar she was sure that they would both end up flat on their faces. Still, as they rode through the Saldean countryside both held themselves erect in their saddles. They had spent nearly two months fighting the war that raged along the whole length of the Blight, and there was still more work to be done. But even the mightiest of warriors needed time to breathe….

Drawing back on Blade’s reins Kabria pulled the warhorse to a halt just insight of the small villages walls.  These were terrible days, and everyone who roamed the country was watched with eagle’s eyes. With Perivar at her side she allowed her mount to go forward at a walk. As was custom in most places in the borderland Kabria threw back her hood to show that she was a friend. Few people dared to ride alone this close to the Blight, and even without the ageless face she was taken for an Aes Sedai.  It was said that Aes Sedai could be found in every land and in every court, but in no place was that as true as it was in the Borderlands. Aes Sedai were becoming almost common place these days, but not so much so as to not cause comment. A few of the guards nodded to Perivar in respect, but gave Kabria a deep bow. Raising a hand to them, she stopped and spoke a few words. It still baffled her that people could be comforted by the word of a Sister; but she was not the kind to refuse to give aid however insignificant it may seem.

Perivar chose an Inn for them that was at the small villages’ center. It seemed as if he was not willing to take any chances…even small ones…not these days. He held her stirrup for her as she dismounted and she reached out to gently stroke his cheek. More than once in the last weeks he’d saved her life, and she his as many times again. There was nothing like near death experiences to make you remember how much you love someone.

By the time they were shown their room Kabria was swaying on her feet, and ended up fast asleep before she’d even undressed. The sky had still held a tiny of sliver of light when they’d fallen asleep; so they both awoke well before the sun. Kabria luxuriated in a long bath, before dressing slowly in clean crisp silks before taking to the common room for breakfast. Silks and skirts were of no use to her in battle, but she’d found that days without a bath and wearing week old blood soaked pants made her long for skirts. Delighted in her short reprieve from death and mutilation she ordered a large breakfast and chilled wine.  She and Perivar chatted about idle things; the bond telling them both to avoid the more serious matters at hand.

Even in the midst of her temporary gaiety Kabria noticed the suffering around her; she always did. She pinched Perivar under the table, urging him to give the serving girl a larger tip. Her face was pale, and she looked to have missed at least a few meals. Kabria decided that she would inquire at a more appropriate time if the woman would accept healing.

Lazily her eyes scanned the common room and landed on a young man, who seemed intent to drown himself in brandy. The sun was not yet at it zenith, and already she’d counted this mug as his third. Many people were giving him disapproving looks, though he was making no nuisance of himself as of yet.  Still, brandy at this usually meant either heartache or physical pain.

Reading her intent the bond Perivar laid a hand on her arm and slowly shook his head. Already on this trip she’d picked up a few strays and he was growing weary of the babysitting that followed. “This time will be different my Gaidin, you will see.” Laying aside her napkin she crossed the room, her blue eyes intent.

The young man was about to order another brandy, but Kabria lay out gold on the bar. She held it firmly under her tattooed hand, fixing the innkeeper with a steady gaze. “I shall pay this if you refuse him the drink, or twice whatever he offers you.” The old man’s eyes popped and as soon as she lifted her fingers he snatched at the coin. With the coin safely tucked away, he went back to polishing his mug; keeping half an eye on what the young man would do.

Through the bond she could feel Perivar tense; but Kabria was completely calm. She had no fear of this young man, he seemed to innocent to ever harm a woman. “I think that perhaps you have had enough brandy this early in the day?” Her melodic voice was soft as a caress, but her eyes hard on his. She may be confident and self assured but she knew that there were still many ways this could go. Few things angered a man more than taking away his drink.

Kabria Delondre

Green Ajah Sister

His vision starting to blurr, Torvus squinted at the small shiny object that was suddenly placed on the table.  Glancing up, he saw the same woman that he noticed earlier.  Is she paying for my drink?  That's awful nice of her...

But she did not talk to him initially; rather she instructed the innkeeper to withhold any further drink!  Torvus frowned.  Why would she want to do that?  He was just getting started and...

Torvus belched and clutched his stomach, wincing as what he had eaten and drunk did not agree well with his digestive system and wanted to escape.  

“I think that perhaps you have had enough brandy this early in the day?”  the lady said, but Torvus stumbled quickly to his feet, ignoring her, attempting to run as quickly as possible for the door outside.

He tripped, forgetting that one of his legs didn't travel like it used to, and fell flat on his face.  Groaning, Torvus picked himself up, and could not help but hurl the contents of what he had consumed onto the wooden floor.

Coughing as his throat and nostrils seared from stomach acid, Torvus stared disgusted at his own vomit.  At least he had avoided puking all over himself.  His body shook from the sudden upset, and his vision was spotted with many different colors.  Disoriented and rather embarrassed, Torvus glanced up.

This is a great way to show my compliments to the innkeep!  Get drunk and hurl all over his nice floor! he thought sarcastically.

-Torvus

There was always wisdom in being cautious. Glancing back at her table, she made a calming motion to Perivar and took a few steps towards the young man as he turned and lurched for the door. Lurched was truly the only word to describe what he did. Each appendage seemed to move independent from each other, and it was evident by his first step that his final destination would be the floor. No one made a move to catch him, and though Kabria embraced the source she let him fall. Some lessons had to be learned.

With so much blood in her recent past, she had seen far worse than his regurgitated breakfast and didn’t react beyond wrinkling her nose. “Honestly!” For all the world sounding like a woman twice her true age she walked over to the fallen young man; picking her way carefully around the chunky mess and squatted down to put her face level with his. It was not the most lady-like of positions, but she didn’t think he was in any condition to stand. Leaning in closer to the boy and his foul order she pitched her voice low.  “I do believe that you have just gotten yourself into a bit of trouble.” Glancing over his head at the innkeeper she could see that only her being Aes Sedai was keeping the man from throwing this..child..out into the streets. “I can help you, but you have to promise not to vomit again. It’s truly unsightly.”

Using weaves of Air and Water Kabria scooped up the mess and deposited it out the alley window. Everyone’s jaw dropped, including the jaw of the drunk young man at her feet. Obviously he had missed her ring.

It was a recent habit of Kabria’s, picking up strays. She’d always had a compassionate heart, but every since her Ajah had taught her to be a weapon and to wield death she’d felt even more compelled to help and heal where she could. It had done nothing to dull her sharp tongue, but many found it a pleasant addition to her list of attitudes.

Reaching out she put a finger under the boys chin and lifted his face so she could see is eyes. They were glazed over, and she could tell that until he was healed he would be completely worthless. Laying two more fingers on his face she wove a delving and let it settle on him. She was surprised to find more than just a sour stomach and pounding head. Kneeling down, careless of getting her silks in the left over mess, she gripped his head in her hands and quickly wove healing. He was not dying, but he’d been injured more than once, all older injuries that should have been tended to.

At feeling her shock Perivar had crossed the room, and was now gripping the boy by the shoulders. He knew the convulsions that would come. As the weave lay on him and took care of his fractured leg, and mended as it could his wrist the boy jerked away from her hands and let out a long sigh as he collapsed into his own filth.  Perivar let him down to the floor gently and stood up giving Kabria one of his looks. For once Kabria remained calm, and held her tongue at bay. She gestured to the Innkeeper and Perivar turned to begin damage control.

Looking down at the floor Kabria shook her head, making her red tipped waves dance around her face. He was starting to come to his senses and he seemed to realize that he was in front of an Aes Sedai. “You have given me a mess, and a mess of trouble. You are much like a young puppy who has not yet learned that he must ‘go’ outside and not chew on his masters’ shoes.” Laughing softly, a rare sound, she stood and saw that Perivar already had the Innkeeper back to work and the patrons at their tables. “But perhaps you would prove yourself worth the effort?” Her dry tone and Perivar’s loud snort said that neither believed that it would prove true.

Kabria Delondre

Amused and ready for a bath

A face came into view, an exotic, tan face, with eyes like blue ice.  Torvus blinked, registering that this was not someone from Saldaea, but having no clue as to the face owner's origins.

“I do believe that you have just gotten yourself into a bit of trouble.” the face said in a low, feminine voice.  Torvus tiled his head to the side, not wanting to take his eyes off that strange face.  Glancing down nervously, he observed the mess he had made and groaned, both from the pain of his unsettled stomach and from knowing what he had just done.

“I can help you, but you have to promise not to vomit again. It’s truly unsightly.”

Torvus nodded in agreement, still somewhat dazed.  He blinked, his jaw dropping as the mess on the floor suddenly leaped up and flew out the window.  How on earth did that happen?!  He glanced back at the woman, his eyes narrowing suspiciously.  Did she have something to do with that?  He glanced over her person, noticing a strange ring on her finger that was somewhat conspicuous, but in his confused state of mind he did not realize what exactly that meant.

Yet something about this woman's presence was comforting, and Torvus found himself relaxed and letting her do whatever she was... Just what is she doing!  That's cold!!  Surprised at the strange convulsion of ice surging through his body, Torvus fell backward, jerking his body away from the woman's touch.  His vision danced again, and he sighed, suddenly wishing that this incident was all a dream and that he was back in bed.

But he could not wake up for some strange reason.  The woman was still there, and she said something, probably annoyed at helping him.

“But perhaps you would prove yourself worth the effort?”

"The effort...?" he started, confused.  "Who are you?" he asked.  "What...what just happened?"

Kabria rolled her eyes, and nodded towards Perivar. Her warder was much larger than the boy and had no issue picking him up and setting him on his feet. Taking a step closer to the young stranger, she reached for his head; only to have him try and dance away. But Perivar’s iron grip was to strong, and he was held steady. “I am not trying to hurt you, hold still.” This time he only flinched as she gripped his head gently between her soft hands.

“There is nothing left to heal, but perhaps the brandy has made you forget. Why don’t we step out into the air.” The idea was more for her own sense of smell than his sanity, but it would serve both purposes. Leading them out into the streets she had Perivar lead him to a small bench along the wall, and flop him down. He was not unkind, but she could tell that he was growing annoyed with her desire to fix everyone. “We will be fine Gaidin, why don’t you see if you can help the Innkeeper in any way.” Her voice was crisp and her emotions said that she would brook no argument. Besides it would go easier with only her alone. The boy was starting to regain some of himself and she had a feeling Perivar would only make him nervous.

Taking a seat on the bench next to him, she tried to make her voice calm and patient, but the fact was she was growing rather annoyed with herself as well. “ I am Kabria Delondre, and even though I have healed you of great injury, stopped you from drinking yourself into a stooper, and cleaned up your vile mess you have still not graced me with your identity.”

“As to what you have done, you decided to make a nuisance of yourself and fall over drunk in the middle of the common room in the middle of the morning. Not to mention showing us all your breakfast once again. I am not sure I can make it any more clear to you than that.”

Kabria Delondre

Wondering if she made a mistake

The warrior moved forward, and in his strong grasp Torvus could do nothing to escape as the woman with the strange touch advanced.

“I am not trying to hurt you, hold still.”

Ice-cold shuddered through him again, and he flinched, but the feeling was less uncomfortable the second time.  In fact, somehow he felt much better, though he was not sure why his body was coming to that conclusion.  And he was still very tired, as if he had not slept a wink the night before.

“There is nothing left to heal, but perhaps the brandy has made you forget. Why don’t we step out into the air.”

Heal?  She had been healing him?  Torvus blinked.  The only women he knew that could make inanimate objects fly and heal people were... An Aes Sedai?  Torvus felt his head clear considerably, and he glanced down at the woman's hand.  Sure enough, the ring she wore was that of an Aes Sedai.  He didn't know whether to bow and scrape, thanking the woman for her trouble, or try to make a run for it once they were out the door.  Few men became indebted to Aes Sedai without regretting it later.

He found himself moving towards the door anyway to fulfill her request for air.  As he stepped, something felt missing in the way he walked.  It was as if his limp had completely vanished.

"My leg!" Torvus muttered in amazement, finding that he could place more weight on his previously crippled leg.  It cramped, the muscles not used to the sudden strain placed on it again, but it didn't hurt nearly as much as before!

His mind a blurred mix of wonder and fear, Torvus sat down, feeling like there was nothing more he wanted to do but take a nice, long nap.  The woman that had helped him spoke, introducing herself as Kabria Delonde.

She seems to be quite irritated that I've been a bother to her...Ah, she wants my name?

Torvus didn't think he had the strength to stand and bow, so he merely said,

"I'm Torvus Arathel of House Schaim. I was on my way to Maradon to become a scholar." He wasn't sure why he told her that, but she seemed to demand every necessary detail about himself without being long winded. "It's an honor Kabria...Aes Sedai.  An honor.  I believe I find myself indebted to you for...for..."

Torvus yawned, suddenly finding it almost impossible to keep his eyelids open.  He wanted to thank her, he wanted to tell the inkeeper that he was sorry and would pay for his drinks and the disturbance he had caused.  He wanted another drink to be able to process the fact that he had just met an Aes Sedai and his leg seemed to be cured and...

Instead, Torvus dipped his head in the direction of Kabria's lap, as if to try to bow to her while still seated, but slowly his head collapsed limply forward as his body shut down to sleep.

-Torvus

Kabria could not hold back a small laugh as she watched the realization trickle down the boys face. She could imagine that realizing you vomited on an Aes Sedai would be akin to a punch in the gut. Not a comfortable feeling after such a display.

“Torvus” She whispered to herself. It was not the name of a rapscallion or someone who should be drinking so early in the day. There was a story lying with in him, and she intended to discover what it was. Kabria was considered something of a scholar herself, and highly versed in the cultures of the world. Her insistence on always carrying a book, had made many of the Brown’s drool when she’d been preparing for the Shawl, but she’d always known in her heart that her life lay in other paths. Books had been a means to understanding a world she knew little about, they had been a way of reacclimatizing herself to shore bound culture; not a passion or a way of life.

“You are not indebted to…” The words died on her lips as his head sank into her lap. For all the world they looked like young lovers who had only paused for a rest. Laying a hand gently on the side of his head she stroked his hair and made soft noises until she was sure he was asleep. Trhough the bond she sent need to Perivar and when he exited the Inn to see his head in Kabria’s lap a rage erupted inside him.

“He was tired; there is an internal pain in this boy far deeper than our eyes can see. Have him carried to his room and I will leave my instructions with the serving staff.”

Leaving Perivar to see to the boy, Kabria retired to their rooms. Somehow on her one day of break in this bitter war she’d managed to find herself another project. For a time she wrote in her journal, before going for al long soak in the bath and then to bed. She was sure she’d been asleep for several hours when she felt Perivar crawl in beside her. As he always did, he wrapped his arms around her and held her close, but she could feel the tension in his arms. “Do not worry my heart, this boy with not be like the others. He will be my responsibility, not yours. He wants to be a scholar not a warrior besides.”

Closing her eyes she fell away into happy dreams…dreams of a world with no Dark One and no wars, a place where there would never be “strays”. When she awoke Perivar was already out practicing his forms, and so she went to sit with Torvus, wanting to be there when he woke.

Kabria Delondre

Torvus woke the next morning, his body feeling somewhat stiff, as if he had decided to sleep through an entire day, possibly more.  Groaning, he sat up, and regretted the sudden rush of colorful lights to his eyes.  Blinking his slight dizzy spell aside, he noticed that there was a woman sitting on the chair next to his bed. 

He cocked his head slightly to the side, briefly trying to figure out if she was a figment of his imagination or a real person.  Convinced finally that she was the latter, he squinted, trying to remember what had happened the day before.  He was riding, he went to the inn, he woke up, he got a few drinks, his leg was healed by an Aes Sedai...wait!  His leg was healed?!

Torvus flapped up the covers, checking his leg.  It was better!  Almost as if he had never fallen off his horse those months earlier!  And his hand felt different; he could actually open and close three fingers without the use of the brace, even if his hand did not have its original dexterity.  Daring to hope that this was not some horrible dream, he looked again at the woman.  The Aes Sedai. 

He felt exposed then, almost as if he had nothing on.  An Aes Sedai!  And she was right there!  He averted his curious gaze, blushing slightly.

"Good morning." he finally managed.  Wait...what was her name again?

"Kabria Aes Sedai." he finally managed after he remembered it.

"How uh... how may I help you, my lady?" he asked, managing a weak smile. 

She must want something from him, he thought. She had healed his leg and now he could at least walk.  That miracle alone demanded some form of reparation he knew, but what exactly would an Aes Sedai want?  His life in service perhaps?  But she already had a warder.  His money perhaps?  But he didn't have all that much, just enough to get to Maradon and rent a room in the city before he found a job.  Something else?

Kabria’s face brightened to see Torvus’ eyes flutter awake. She had the bit in her teeth, and was set now on learning his past; the sooner the better in her mind. She needed to return to the fight, but a few days more would not cause any greater harm. Leaning forward Kabria kicked her legs up and folded them on her chair, propping her elbows on her knees. With her chin in her hands, and her tall leather boots she looked much more like a simple girl, than a warrior, but her knowing eyes still glittered. With a small smile she reached over and rang a tiny bell.

In no more than a few heartbeats the maids rushed in with a meal enough for five men. While they bustled around setting two places at a small table they’d also carried in, Kabria sat with her chin in her hands smiling like the cat who’d caught the canary.  She knew the power of silence and the power of a pretty face. She would use both if she must to learn this boys story.

Once they were both seated at the small table and had full mugs of wine did Kabria speak. “You my first help me, by clearing all the food you see before you.” She’d only prepared a small plate of bread and cheeses for herself, leaving the rest for him.

“Um..M’La..Aes Sedai…I.” Torvus stuttered.

Kabria held up her hand and shook her head just slightly. “You have been healed and I know you are starving. We will speak of my price for helping you after our meal.” Popping a small piece of cheese in her mouth, she made small yummy noises. “ You see, it is very good. Eat..eat..and while you eat you may tell me your story.” 

Torvus didn't think he could eat all that food that she had brought in, much less afford to pay for it afterwards.  He tried to protest but Kabria held up her hand and shook her head.  She told him to eat and he did, surprising himself at how hungry he was.  He forced himself to eat slowly, since eating too quickly had resulted in a most unpleasant mess the day before.

"My story?" he said, as if to digest her words well along with what he ate.  She probably wanted to know where he was from and the details of his injuries, he gathered.

"I was born and raised on the family manor, about a week's ride southeast of here.  My father, Turan, serves the Queen in the cavalry and my mother...keeps the house well organized." Torvus grinned, thinking fondly of his mother.  She always seemed to exactly know what to do.  He wondered what stories she would tell if an Aes Sedai came to her and asked.

"I've wanted to follow in my father's footsteps for as long as I can remember, but since the accident about half a year ago..."

The Aes Sedai leaned in, and Torvus broke off a little, observing how Kabria held her chin in her hands just so. He blushed again, realizing that he was staring for no good reason, and resumed.

"The accident, ah yes.  I wish I could tell you I was injured doing something heroic, but that's not how it is.  I fell from my horse." he said flatly, and found himself giving more details despite not wanting to lay out the embarrassment.

"I was riding with my friends.  We were training for the cavalry.  My girlfriend, well, girlfriend then... She was watching.  I...I tried to show off and do something that I hadn't practiced enough and, well, I fell.  I was almost trampled to death by my horse and the horse behind me.  But I recovered, mostly, save for my leg, my right wrist and hand, and this."  Torvus gestured to the wide scar on the side of his face.

"After that, I knew I couldn't keep up the soldiering career, so I dove into books as a solution.  My mother thinks I have it in me to be some great scholar, but I'm not so sure.  I was headed to Maradon to study and find a career there.  And...that's when I met you."

Torvus paused, not sure what to say next.  Reflecting on the current situation, he wasn't as sure about going to become a scholar anymore.  He could use his leg again, and could probably figure out a way to get past his right hand if he tried long enough...

-Torvus

The word ‘story’ could be taken in many ways. It was why, when wishing to learn of someone’s past Kabria always begin with asking just that. For some they would given her the story of only the last week of their lives, for others it was a detailed account from birth until how they’d met. Torvus fell somewhere in between. 

He seemed to be giving her the bullet points of his life, avoiding too much details but not trying to be rude. It was a typical response when speaking to someone you considered your better. Give just enough but not too much lest you seem boastful. It was a tactic she’d learned well during her years as a Novice an Accepted.

The slight pause in his tale made Kabria grin. Once she’d scorned the attention of men young or old, but with Perivar’s help she was coming to accept her odd brand of beauty and the mystery that her title beheld. When he finally stopped Kabria reached out to trace a finger gently along the scar. “I am sorry that I can do nothing for this, but you are still pretty enough. In some lands and to some people the scar would only make you more so.”

Torvus’ face flushed, and Kabria shook her head. Sometimes only learning of a people from their books made for awkward social interactions. Pulling her hand from his face she reached out to clasp his right hand. Examining the fingers that still did not seem to work properly. Gently as she could Kabria traced her fingers along his hand, from one finger to the other. There was a disconnect somewhere, perhaps one of the Yellow’s could find it. “It may be that it could be helped, but any more repair is beyond my abilities.” Patting his hand she pulled it back and gave him a slightly sad smile.

“Still, you will have at least regained some of your function. Perhaps if you wished to travel to Tar Valon and speak with one of my Yellow Ajah Sisters it could be more fully healed. For now, though while you finish your meal you may tell me about why you want to be a scholar.”

Torvus leaned in as she reached out to touch his face, as if he wanted that icey touch and nothing else.  To his surprise, nothing supernatural happened, and his facial scar stayed the same.  She even complimented him on it, which made him flush furiously.  How come she could do that with just a touch when it would have taken a very attractive Saldaean girl dancing the Sa'sara to produce a similar a similar result?

She touched his hand next, and he looked down at it with her.  She said that she couldn't heal it all the way, but it certainly felt better than it had!  Strangely, he did not mind as she examined the hand carefully. 

“Still, you will have at least regained some of your function. Perhaps if you wished to travel to Tar Valon and speak with one of my Yellow Ajah Sisters it could be more fully healed. For now, though while you finish your meal you may tell me about why you want to be a scholar.”

Torvus nodded, and continued to eat.  Why he wanted to be a scholar...

"To tell the truth," he said in between chewing.  "I'm not that sure.  My mother always said I had a knack for reading and finding out about all sorts of things.  It was mainly her suggestion to go to Maradon, even though I do like to study many different subjects.  My father doesn't seem to care about what I do anymore; he's obsessed with my younger brother becoming a soldier like him these days.  I'm doing it because there seemed to be no other option to make a name for myself in the world.  And traveling by myself to a place with a larger library, such as the one in Tar Valon, seemed a bit of a stretch."  He didn't mention the fact that the idea of studying with Aes Sedai made him very nervous.  What else could they do to a man, he wondered, if they could make things levitate and heal his body.

Torvus glanced at Kabria again, wondering what she was thinking.  She was from Tar Valon; an Aes Sedai who probably had complete access to the Great Library there.  Why did he need to go to Maradon if he could go to Tar Valon with Kabria and become an even better scholar.  Or perhaps find something better to do now that he could move his legs like normal again.  He didn't dare ask that, however.  He was probably going to have to pay a steep enough price as it was for the help Kabria Sedai had given so far.  No need to make it something he wouldn't be able to pay back, or so he thought.

Not commenting or making any face Kabria listened patiently while he talked of his father and his life at home. No doubt it hurt to be disregarded just because you were not as able bodied as you once were, but there was more to it she was sure. To her Torvus seemed to be lacking something, lacking a fire, a passion for what he was about.

During her years spent in isolation in the Tower she had become convinced that there was no way to live besides living in your full passion; a life without would be hardly worth living. “For any man who claims the desire to be scholar should not find Tar Valon so far from reach.” If you wanted something bad enough and with your whole heart you would fight to attain it, and this young man did not seem willing to fight, at least not for this. “It seems to me that being a scholar may not be your destiny, but as something of a scholar myself I would be willing to help you try and realize that dream. Though, it will cost you. I fear that having to tell my Gaidin that I am taking you on will be dreadful, and I will not bear that without a chance at regaining some of what I have paid.”

There had been surprise in his eyes when she’d spoken of destiny. No doubt some part of him wondered if she could read the future, it was a common misconception of her kind. Very few had any part in reading the pattern now, and Kabria thought that for the best. Even the hardest hearts may not be able to handle the dark days that were sure to come.

“Do not fear what I ask of you will not be monitory compensation; I have more than enough money of my own. Neither will you find my requests to be unpleasant ,and by The Oaths you know my words to be true. ” Finishing off the last of her meal she rang the small bell again and this time the serving girls cleared away all but the wine. They replaced the dirty dishes a small fruit pie. Torvus’ eyes popped when Kabria pushed it before him, but she knew that he would eat that and still be able to eat more.

“So Torvus Arathel of House Schaim, do you wish to see the greatest library in the world?” 

“It seems to me that being a scholar may not be your destiny, but as something of a scholar myself I would be willing to help you try and realize that dream. Though, it will cost you. I fear that having to tell my Gaidin that I am taking you on will be dreadful, and I will not bear that without a chance at regaining some of what I have paid.”

Torvus frowned, instantly suspicious.  How would she know what his destiny was or wasn't?  She had only met him!  Or was this some form of Aes Sedai power beyond his comprehension?  She implied she was willing to take him on, which was fantastic in any other circumstances, but there was still the issue about the "price" involved.  What could he possibly offer her that she did not already have?

He focused on eating for the time being, not really sure what to say to all this.  He was Healed, and the first thing he wanted to do was test his legs and his grip.  But he was still hungry, somehow, and he stared wide eyed as somehow he had eaten everything.  And still felt like he had room for a fruit pie!

His fingers sticky from the pie, Torvus chewed and swallowed, licking his fingers and hoping this gesture would not be taken as being rude.  He could not resist the temptation to ask about the price, even though he would probably come off as abrasively direct.  "I would indeed love to see such a wonder; there would be so much to learn from this library.  But at what cost?  You have mentioned a price but have not yet elaborated on what exactly that is.  Furthermore, I don't think I could pay it as I am now.  I'm only seventeen, and hardly possessing a fortune worth mentioning; my family isn't exactly rich.  I have no particularly useful skills worthy to serve you properly, and although I dare say I can learn quickly, I don't think there's any secret knowledge I know that you don't, or anything of much worth to you.  What could I possibly offer you to repay what you've already done for me, much less your offer to go to see the library?"

-Torvus

Kabria closed her eyes for a moment and fought the urge to sigh. When she was younger, before she’d gone to Tar Valon she had been accounted pretty and yet strange because of her tattoo’s and her nose ring. The odd combination of good looks and body art had made her seem an exotic beauty to many, and so those that spoke with her always looked for hidden meaning in her words. Surely someone so ‘exotic’ would not speak outright. Then once she’d arrived in the Tower and enrolled in the Novice Books no one had paid any mind to her words until she was an Accepted and even then she’d been taken with a grain of salt. Then finally she reached the shawl, and she was sure that no longer would people dismiss what she said or look at her strangely, but neither proved to be true. Dealing with those other than Tower intimates always meant a searching look and suspicion, but it was the bad that she had to take with her blessings.

“No doubt you are reminded of the saying that when an Aes Sedai speaks the truth it may not be the same truth you hear?” Her voice was devoid of emotion and her face completely calm, and still Torvus sat back a little in his chair.

“I told you that I would not require more of you than you could give, and still you worry that I would ask too much? You do not presume to doubt my word I would assume? Not after I have been so kind.” Leaning back in her chair she laid her hands in her lap, her right thumb gently rubbing across her compass tattoo as she considered what she would ask of him. She had been vague, hoping to call for her price when this boy’s purpose with her became clearer, but she’d meant that she would never require anything he would dislike.

Like all the Sister’s of Tar Valon, the intricacies of Daes De’mar flowed in her veins. Manipulation and deception for solitary gain or the gain of the greater good; truly The Great Game was personified in all Aes Sedai. Though Kabria put less stock in it than some. She preferred to speak outright when she could and deal with matters in a more direct manner.

“For now I only require that if you begin the journey with me, you will not depart until we are done. I ask that you pull your own weight, not get in the way, and listen to all that Perivar Gaidin and I have to say. These are dangerous times and I would not have you killed so soon after healing you. Beyond this trip I only ask that you remember my service to you should I ever have some need which you could meet.”

Leaning forward slightly she held his eyes. “Did I speak that plain enough for you?”

Torvus was getting the feeling that his direct question had offended her.  Of course she would let him know what the price was when it was time to be "paid".  That seemed to be the way Aes Sedai did things; mysteriously and yet not unfairly.

“I told you that I would not require more of you than you could give, and still you worry that I would ask too much? You do not presume to doubt my word I would assume? Not after I have been so kind.”

Torvus shook his head vigorously, wishing that his questions had not quite had this affect.  The last thing he wanted to do was to anger an Aes Sedai.  He noticed one of the tattoos that were on her skin.  It looked almost like a wheel or perhaps a compass.  He wondered what its meaning was for her.

“For now I only require that if you begin the journey with me, you will not depart until we are done. I ask that you pull your own weight, not get in the way, and listen to all that Perivar Gaidin and I have to say. These are dangerous times and I would not have you killed so soon after healing you. Beyond this trip I only ask that you remember my service to you should I ever have some need which you could meet.”

Torvus slowly nodded.  It was still a little vague, but he would not object to doing his best in their company.  Though he wondered what business they had been doing.  Surely nothing very safe, this close to the Blight.  The advice on not getting in the way suddenly made a lot of sense.

He felt trapped by her gaze as she leaned forward and looked directly at him, but he did not feel threatened.  Quite the contrary, he felt himself wanting to be of some sort of use.

“Did I speak that plain enough for you?”

"Yes, Kabria Aes Sedai.  I will do my best to...not be in the way.  And perhaps be of help to you if that is, uh possible." he added, smiling nervously.

He voiced his thoughts on the present out loud, hoping not to be too presumptuous.  "I suppose this means I am not going to Maradon?  I think my mother would be displeased, but I think I am old enough to be able to accommodate a reasonable change in plans; my parents' opinions don't really matter anymore."  Torvus felt that it was strange how easy it was to dismiss the ones who had nurtured and taught him almost everything he knew.  As if his child-self secretly objected to what he had just said, but was powerless to stop him.  Even if he didn't really bear any real grudge to his parents, it would be good to strike out on his own and not follow their every whim for a change.

Torvus idly wondered if he should at least write his mother letting her know about going to Tar Valon.  It was not every day that one's son had the honor of serving an Aes Sedai, even though he was still not exactly sure what kind of service this would entail.  He wondered how much she would really care if she knew.

All along the Blight Kabria had met and helped people; making acquaintances in all the small villages they had passed. She was leaving a line of men and women who were in her debt. Not consciously, but perhaps in the back of her mind, she was thinking of a day when she could call the Borderlands home again. Or perhaps, it was also her desire to acquire her own network of eyes and ears. She made use of the Green Ajah agents she knew about, but it would be good to get a feel for the pulse of the land even when she was in Tar Valon. Though, that did not account for why she was taking in a stray.

She would need at least another week to finish up her duties here before she could head South, and even then her stop in the Tower would be short. She and Perivar were making a habit of being out of the Tower as much as they could these days. They found a freedom on the open road, that they could not within the gleaming walls. 

Telling her Gaidin that they were to have a companion would not go well, so she made a decision to ease his burden as much as she could. “I do not know what your experience is with a sword Torvus, but I will ask that you remain at this Inn for one week’s time. I have dangerous business to be about and I cannot have you under foot. If you are like most Borderland men I know you are about to protest, but I would not advise it. I believe you have pushed me as far as I will allow for today.”

Standing up she motioned for him to do the same. Reaching into her belt pouch she pulled out a small coin purse of mixed gold and silver and passed it to him. “I do require something else of you though. While we are away I want you to gather food provisions for us and our mounts. It will need to last until Tar Valon, so choose wisely. The riding may be hard and we need to travel light. I assume you know enough of the world to know what to purchase?” Torvus nodded and Kabria relaxed her face, allowing a small smile.

“I believe that you will do well in Tar Valon, though I doubt it will bring anything that you are expecting. It is a city of wonders, I hope that when we arrive you may find what it is you are searching for.” Without another word Kabria went to face her Gaidin and tell him of what she’d done.

“I do not know what your experience is with a sword Torvus, but I will ask that you remain at this Inn for one week’s time. I have dangerous business to be about and I cannot have you under foot. If you are like most Borderland men I know you are about to protest, but I would not advise it. I believe you have pushed me as far as I will allow for today.”

Torvus opened his mouth to protest, but closed it before he said anything foolish.  He was too young to be considered much of a soldier.  He had not practiced with a sword in almost a year and was no doubt abysmal since he was not used to doing everything left handed. His aim with a bow was adequate but still less than satisfactory.  He would only get in the way with "dangerous business", he was sure.

"One week." he said in confirmation, and then added with a wry grin,  "I'll try not to ruin the good innkeeper's floors while I'm here."

She stood, motioning for him to do the same.  He did so slowly, and still felt a little dizzy.

“I do require something else of you though. While we are away I want you to gather food and provisions for us and our mounts. It will need to last until Tar Valon, so choose wisely. The riding may be hard and we need to travel light. I assume you know enough of the world to know what to purchase?”

Torvus blinked.  She wanted him to help provision the journey?  That would not be very difficult, he thought.  Or was there some form of hidden meaning in her words?

"Yes, I think I can handle that," he said confidently.  Perhaps this was a test to see what he could do at an easier level?  It was hard to tell until all was said and done.

“I believe that you will do well in Tar Valon, though I doubt it will bring anything that you are expecting. It is a city of wonders, I hope that when we arrive you may find what it is you are searching for.”

Torvus nodded.  He hoped he would find that too.  Perhaps there was some source of knowledge, some skill, or some purpose out there that was truly worth his total dedication.  He looked after Kabria as she left, almost sad to see her leave the room.

He shook his head.  Here he was fawning after an Aes Sedai, and he was still in his smallclothes!  Torvus quickly got dressed, finding it conveniently easier to change into his clothes.  He took out the small purse Kabria Sedai had given her, and took out pen and parchment.  It was time to get to work.  Counting the money, he would have to estimate the needed supplies and then go around town and find how much everything would cost down to each penny.  He suspected that an Aes Sedai would want him to do as thorough and flawless a job as possible, and he had an entire week.  Unless there was something else she wanted from him.

The only problem he saw was the fact that he would be extremely bored sitting in a tiny village for a week.  He had read all the books he had brought with him more than twice, and he doubted this tiny speck of civilization had many more books than the ones he had in his pack.

This tiny Inn only had two floors and Kabria reached her room much quicker than she would have liked. Perivar had since finished his morning practice and was waiting for her. She could feel his wariness and suspicion through the bond, pausing she took a deep breath and assumed her most commanding look. It rarely worked with him, but she felt as if she would need some advantage.

“Before you say a word.” Her only hope was to bowl him over with words and not give him much of a chance to speak. Though he was not, Perivar did not think himself very elegant or wise and he often deferred to her “superior” knowledge. “He is not coming with us this last week. He will be here gathering supplies so that he may accompany us to Tar Valon. It will save you the work and allow us to spend more time with the men we came here to defend. I know that he is only a child, and perhaps that is my reason for compassion. I have seen too many young men die in these last months to leave him in a land so wrought with destruction. And BEFORE you can spout your Borderland pride out honor and obligation and mountains and duty, I will tell you that there is nothing you can do t change your mind. I have promised to show him the great library of Tar Valon and I will not go back on my word.”

Finally pausing to take a breath she prepared herself to mount a defense against the onslaught that never came. There was a familiar look in Perivar’s eye and veins of gold pulsed in the bond. Crossing the room in a few strides he wrapped her up into a hug and pulled her face to his chest. “Oh Kabria, you are truly a trial, but a wonderful woman with the largest heart of any I have ever known.” The sweet sound of laughter erupted from him and nearly brought Kabria to tears. He had not laughed since before they’d left Tar Valon, and she was beginning to think that he would not again.

Pulling back far enough to look into his eyes, Kabria gave him a sly smile. “And just how many women have you known Lord Perivar?” His rich laughter filled the room again and Kabria laughed with him.

When their laughter did finally die, Perivar issued only a small request.  “I know that I cannot change your mind in this, but do not make me promise not to worry about this decision for I will have to disobey you Aes Sedai.”

The next morning they left before the sun was up, but Kabria saw to it that her store of books and her locked chest of clothes were moved to Torvus’ room. They needed to travel fast, and even if the boy stole her blind everything could be replaced.