DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome to Cairhien [ATTN: Myth & Esy]

Guest Estel

Even from where she stood, a good five miles outside the city, the Topless Towers still seemed to rise higher than seemed possible for a human structure. Yet in all their glory, they could not astound Alianna as much as the enormous host sitting outside the city did. Light burn her, why was there thousands upon thousands of Aiel sitting outside the city walls? It was almost as if she had traveled through time, back to her childhood. She had been ten when the Aiel had first crossed the Dragonspine to wreak havoc on Cairhien for Laman’s sin. Looking down at her hands, she knew that she was still standing firmly in reality. A reality that seemed might soon burst into flames.

Uneasily, she made her way through the masses of black-eyed Aiel towards what was known in Cairhien as the Foregate. With any luck, she would find her quarry early on and be out of the city before it turned into a war zone. She could just give up this chase and find some other lowlife to bring to justice but it had taken her so long to chase this one from Caemlyn, she wasn’t ready to just give up because of a few Aiel.

However, as she tried to inconspicuously move through the throngs, she was made agonizingly aware of her attire. Her tan breeches were well past their prime and the tucked into boots that should have been exchanged a year back. Her filthy, formally white blouse was barely covered by a fraying vest and she was lucky it was warm, her threadbare cloak would have provided next to no shelter. Possession-wise, she had none save the heavy quarterstaff she leant on like a walking stick. Overall, she looked no better than any of the lowlifes she might find herself chasing in this city.

When she began asking her fellow travellers for information about the occupying Aiel army, she got angry glares and curses. All she managed to gather was that they were under the orders of the false Dragon she had heard so much about and that they patrolled the city streets, doing and killing as they pleased.

Despite remembering the horrors of the Aiel war, this shocked Alianna and doubts came to her mind. Why would the Aiel be killing random people? That wasn’t like the stories she had heard. They were savages, yes, but as far as she had heard, they were the most civilised savages the Bordelands had ever seen. The black-eyes Aiel were praised in Kandor for their speed, agility and weapons abilities. According to those who had fought them twenty years ago, they lived by a system of honour that, while harsh, kept order among the tribes.

As she neared the city, her natural curiosity was roused and she couldn’t help but approach a tall Aielman. “Excuse me,” she was about to add ‘sir’, but thought better of it “could you tell me exactly why the Aiel are here outside Cairhien? I’ve just arrived in the city and have no idea what’s going on.”

“Excuse me, could you tell me exactly why the Aiel are here outside Cairhien? I’ve just arrived in the city and have no idea what’s going on.”

Cor straightened from his casual stance propped against the wall and looked down into the Wetlander’s eyes, his hand nonchalantly sticking the book back in his pouch. I’ll just have to get some more reading in at some other time… The book was fascinating. A gift from Shaneevae, it delved deeply into military tactics and strategies. She claimed it was from the Age of Legends or before, and that there were probably only a handful of surviving copies in the world. It was a tremendous gift and was the first book he had ever owned. I hope I see her again…

According to its author’s philosophy he and the rest of the Aiel were breaking one of the basic tenets of warfare: “Know your enemy.” He, like most Aiel, normally just avoided wetlanders unless he had to deal with them, but maybe he should heed the book’s advice and interact more…

The tall Stone Dog quickly assessed the woman before him. She was dressed very roughly, but that meant nothing to him. Clothes could be changed as easily as a woman’s mind. What he really noticed was the way she stood and her eyes. She held her quarterstaff like she knew how to use it. The calluses on her hands certainly weren’t from knitting. And her eyes had the piercing look of a hunter who had occasionally been hunted herself. This wetlander was a dangerous woman.

“The Light’s blessing on you, as well, stranger,” Cor joked, his sky-at-noon blue eyes twinkling mischievously. A little humor never hurt, especially when you might be dancing the spears at any moment. “The sound of your tongue says you’re also far from home, and between the two of us I’d like to know more about what’s going on myself.

“As to your question, the Aiel left the Threefold Land for several reasons as I understand it. First, we had to kill a madman who was running around like crazy and trying to kill all the poor Treekillers who call this place home. We did that. Then the Car’a’carn said he needed our help to maintain the peace until he could settle everything down here. That, I’m sad to say is still unfinished. The Treekiller nobles seem to fight each other for power more than anything else while they leave their people unattended, and that leaves us to fight the thieves and murderers who are thicker than fleas in a Shaido rug.

“But I guess the main reason we’re here, is because the Car’a’carn can trust no one else to help him fight Sightblinder’s minions. All in all, I’d not recommend visiting if you don’t have to. Cairhein isn’t a friendly place at the moment. Does that help?”

As the newcomer paused, assessing his response, she began to unconsciously heft her quarterstaff against her palm while she thought.

Cor cleared his throat to get her attention. “And just a suggestion? I’d not do that if I were you,” he looked at her staff then added with a hint of a grin, “Nei’din is a little touchy around you wetlanders. And I’d hate for you to give him a headache with it.” He inclined his head just past her shoulder toward the huge lion that had been lying in the shade and was now watching her, growling menacingly. He added another little joke to ease the tension. “Sometimes he thinks I need a babysitter.”

• 2 weeks later...

As the Aielman stood, she winced as she was forced to incline her head backwards. She wasn’t short, especially not for a woman but all these Aiel were so flaming tall! Now that he stood, and she had moved back a step to see him better, Alianna could better take note of his features. Like most of the black-eyed ones- and ironic name considering that all their eyes were light coloured, his a startling bright blue- he wore the tans and earth colours that no doubt aided him in disappearing into the terrain of the Waste. Despite her best intentions and the pangs of guilt she felt remembering Dominik and that strange boy from the Tower, she could not help but notice he was handsome in that rugged, masculine way. Light blind her, barely a year and a half past her late husband’s death and she was already once again immersed in the world of men.

His deep voice cut off any chastising she was prepared to give herself. The words confused and disturbed her. The Aiel were fighting one another? It was a known fact in the Borderlands that the Aiel raided each other’s clans, but why would they do so outside the Waste? And in such numbers? It didn’t match up with Alianna’s limited knowledge of their ways. And who was this car’a’carn?

At the mention of the lion, she gave a start and despite his warning, reflexively hefted her quarterstaff to fend off an attack. The movement earned her a growl and only the Aielman’s hand and muttered warning kept the lion on its belly and off her. “Blood and ashes.” she swore under her breath. “As dangerous as your people are, it should be no surprise that you keep dangerous pets.”

Before he could respond, she pushed the question most concerning her at that point. “Excuse me for prying, but who is this car’a’carn? My knowledge of your people is limited, though I risk boasting when I say it’s a far-cry better than those here in the south.” At his wondering glance, she remembered his earlier question, though it had not been phrased as such. “My apologies, I come from Kandor though I gave up my traditional garb long ago. Such attachments…” she struggled to find the right words to both say nothing of her past and convey the point that she did not want to talk about it “…make leaving home difficult.”

Alianna Karalev

Former Theif Catcher

About to Work with the Enemy

She is a woman of secrets.

That was understandable, especially if she was so far from home in these troubled times. Cor was careful around wetlanders, but so far he had managed to avoid the automatic hatred that most of his kinsmen felt towards them. He tried to treat them as they treated him, but sometimes it worked out badly when they tried to dance the spears… At least for them, it did.

Still, he always tried to be polite, at least until the pipers began to play.

“Who is the Car’a’carn? He is Jarron al’Tanin.” At her continued confusion, Cor prompted, “You wetlanders call him the Dragon Reborn.”

She gasped and stepped back fearfully, before she composed herself. Most of the wetlanders he met reacted the same way the first time they made the connection. Who can understand these wetlanders? They're all crazier than a Shaido after too much oos'quai. He couldn’t understand it, but there it was.

Cor kept a close eye on her as she unconsciously rubbed her quarterstaff, apparently trying to make a decision now that her life had taken such a drastically unexpected turn. He didn’t want a knot on the head if she decided to act strangely. These wetlanders often did, but she was a Borderlander and they were usually made of stouter stuff. Sure enough, she gained control of her fear straight away, although she swallowed nervously and looked uncertainly at Nei’din again. The Borderlanders were usually good in the dance, as well.

“We’re a long way from the Borderlands, wetlander. What brings you so far and into such a troubled land?”

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: sorry, E but i didn't have your posts all saved for this thread... agh! but i did have the last post of mine on it... so here goes. just pick up from here...

Cor covered his mouth with his hand to hide his smile. The verbal joust had taken a weird turn, but to the young Aiel (in the way of his people) the closer a teasing insult came to drawing blood the funnier it was. And it looked like the stranger had just about reached that point. Are all these wetlanders so thin skinned? All it takes is a few jokes, and they’re ready to pull spears. None of them seem to have a decent sense of humor, but the Light knows they’re all crazy.

As it was, it appeared that things were going to escalate until veils were lifted and the dance began. So he stepped in to intervene. Besides, he could get a funny dig in on the Aethan Dor on top of keeping the peace. Today was turning out to be a very good day.

“That’s exactly it wetlander,” the Stone Dog interjected with a laugh. “They’re afraid you might be a Maiden in disguise, and none of them are up to a game of Maiden’s Kiss. I doubt any of them have ever kissed a woman besides their mother, so they‘d probably stab themselves in the foot trying to get away.” The look of stunned surprise on the Red Shields’ faces was quickly replaced with smiles and then their own jests. But he didn’t bother listening to them, because the female thief catcher looked like she was still mad as a Wise One after an argument with the Clan Chief.

Motioning her outside, Cor added, “They don’t know anything about your would-be killer, or they would have said something before they started playing around. But if you really want to match weapons before we start looking for him, we can have a go outside. Somebody must defend the honor of the Aiel, and it seems these boys aren‘t up to it.”

With a laugh at his spear brothers and a curious look at the woman who still hadn’t introduced herself, he held the door open.

Guest Estel

The banter between the Aiel meant nothing to her except that it served to provide more air for the fires of her anger. Doubt her because she was a woman, would they? Not while she was still alive enough to thwap them over the head with her staff! She had been tracking thieves before these boys were born and would still be tracking thieves when some criminal bested them, sending them all to early graves.

Unconsciously, her hands moved along the staff into the position they would normally be in if she were to bring the staff down upon some poor fool’s head. Alianna gripped her weapon, preparing to strike as the strange men proceeded to further demean her gender. Just on the brink of a physical release of anger and already opening her mouth for a verbal tirade, Cor spoke, cutting her off.

“They don’t know anything about your would-be killer, or they would have said something before they started playing around. But if you really want to match weapons before we start looking for him, we can have a go outside. Somebody must defend the honor of the Aiel, and it seems these boys aren‘t up to it.”

Shutting her mouth, and looking more the fool for opening it without ever saying anything, Alianna stalked out of the building, every fibre in her body bearing testimony to her outrage. Cor led her to a small “clearing” the tents and throngs of people before taking up his spears and buckler to face her.

Not even bothering with a defensive stance, Alianna slid both hands to one end of the long shaft before swinging it up, gaining momentum in bringing it all the way from behind her back to over her head, and then bringing it down on his head... or at least what would have been his head if his spear hadn’t come up to block hers.

Neither opponent fazed by the unexpected attack and equally unexpected block, they slid into what the thief catcher thought the Aiel fittingly called “the dance”. Alianna kept her feet moving and staff spinning, remembering Anton’s lesson and occasionally moving in close, within range of his short spear, but ultimately remaining, for the most part, outside striking distance of his shorter weapons.

• 2 weeks later...

Cor contained his laughter as they walked toward an open area, but it was a near thing. These wetlanders wear their emotions on their shoulders, and few of them seem to be able to take a joke. How can they be goaded into anger so easily? It is a terrible flaw.

The Stone Dog couldn’t get over how much the wetlander thief catcher looked like a furious cat, even down to the too-rigid manner in which she was walking. He could easily imagine her lashing her tail angrily, and he could even picture the hair standing straight up on her back. He didn’t have to imagine the evil hiss a cat makes, because he had seen her mouth wide open in wordless anger back in the guard house. Of course, she didn’t have claws to show her anger, but she did have a quarterstaff.

Without a word, she swung it with all her might, coming down directly over her head with both hands. It was a mighty blow, and would have left a big knot on his head if it had connected. But it didn’t.

He parried the blow easily, then set out to see what this thief catcher was made of. He probed her defenses with his spear, its point darting in and out like the tongue of a desert adder, while he circled her to look for flaws with her footwork.

His initial assessment proved correct. The calluses on her hands and fingers had been earned from hours working with the weapon, and she spun it deftly. Although her initial strike had been a clumsy attempt at surprise, she quickly demonstrated that she was more than capable of wielding her weapon with skill. His probing attacks were met by a solid defense, as she countered his thrusts with quick wrists and stout wood.

Left, right. High, low. He pressured her to search for a hole in her defense. Her longer reach with the staff kept his spear point at bay, but he maintained the offensive just enough to prevent her from mounting a strong counter attack.

What she lacked in speed and strength, and even size and skill, she made up for with toughness and determination. Cor found himself admiring the poise of the woman who was surrounded by strangers yet remained un-intimidated. The crowd that had gathered looked on with cheers and taunts, depending upon who the watcher favored. A smile crept onto Cor’s face as the sparring session continued.

Still, Cor wasn’t one of the youngest society leaders in Aiel history simply because he was good in the dance. His mind had been sharpened long before he had ever learned the spear. As a small boy in a hard land, he had honed it to a razor’s edge, and it had become a subtle weapon with age. So far, he had been merely testing her, looking to see if she was worthy of his help. She was definitely a tough woman, especially for a wetlander, but this lesson was far from over. And she had much to learn herself.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Estel

He was fast, far faster than she was. No matter where or how she tried to attack him, he blocked her staff with ease and throughout the spar she found herself being moved backwards. She didn’t bother chancing a look but she knew the Red Shields were laughing at her. Damnit, she was being made a fool of!

Angry, Alianna remembered Anton’s advice and stepped in closer and in range of his short spear. She parried his first attack but misjudged the second, deflecting it only enough that the tip didn’t come near her but she earned a good bruise along her ribcage from the shaft. Hurriedly stepping back out of range, their positions were now reversed and her space was no longer cramped by the tents he had backed her into.

The pain in her ribs jabbed at her as she tried an overhand hit aimed at his right shoulder. He blocked with an ease that she took as an insult. However, her fury clouded her mind and that earned her an aching elbow. This time, she aimed at his legs, hoping to take them out from under him.

Ooc: bleh, short but my mind is to tired to do more

Cor calmly assessed the wetlander thief catcher as they sparred. She had good natural ability, but her lack of focus would cost her dearly if she danced with someone who was skilled and wanted her blood spilled.

Her face was flushed red with anger, and her blows were becoming wilder as she lost patience. He tapped her on the ribs to encourage her to focus, and then a few moments later on an elbow. But rather than concentrating more, she seemed to grow ever angrier which created more problems for her. The young Stone Dog felt that this spar was going to do more harm than good if he didn’t end it quickly. So he did.

As the woman swung her staff at his legs, he deftly stepped back as her staff swept past him, then stepped in before she had a chance to recover.

Tap. Tap. Tap

Almost quicker than thought, he touched her with his spear haft on the right elbow, the side of her neck, and the back of her head. Then he stepped away and grounded his spear point.

“I think we are done for now, thief catcher,” he said calmly, trying to settle the emotional wetlander down. “You have talent, but you let your emotions distract you. That is why I prevailed this day. But truly, you are worthy with your staff. Few wetlanders have the ability to best you, I think. If you wish, we can try again another time.”

Before she could respond, the tall Aiel warrior added, “But first, I would learn your name, and more of this man you pursue. If the Light wills it, perhaps I can help you find him.”

He looked calmly at the shorter, older woman wondering what she would say.

Guest Estel

It took a minute of sitting, disoriented on the ground before Alianna could make sense of what had happened. When the strange, out-of-place colours finally cleared from her vision, she looked up at the Aielman, anger slowly ebbing as he helped her to her feet. She took his suggestions as constructive criticism despite the whining need for her anger to be vented away.

“I haven’t already given you my name?” she asked taken aback at her own lack of courtesies. “My apologies, I am Alianna Karalev from Chachin in Kandor… or at least what’s left of it since those rat-spawned Dreadlords conquered it.” She snarled, the fall of her homeland still weighed hot and heavy on her heart.

“The man I seek, Esyndor Renethil, is Andoran in colour and size which should make him stand out in a Cairhienin crowd. He’ll be armed and unafraid of kidnapping a man though I doubt he has the stomach for a face-to-face confrontation.”

“I see you, Alianna Karalev,” Cor answered. “I am Cor, a Stone Dog of the Deep Shade sept of the Dragonmount Aiel. May you find water and shade this day,” he said, concluding the formal introduction ritual of his people. “We Aiel know of Kandor.”

The tall desert warrior understood her anger at what had happened to her nation. He could imagine his grief if the Aiel were to disappear under the steel of an invading enemy. But living in the past only meant you wouldn’t see the spear aimed at your heart in the present, so he shoved the emotions aside and dealt with more pressing concerns.

“This man, Esyndor Renethil, would you know him if you saw him? If not, it will complicate things. Such a man will be wary of being discovered, and if he hears we are looking for him he will be much harder to capture unawares. How long has he been here in the Treekillers’ city? These Treekillers are an unfriendly lot, and I doubt if he’s made many friends if he hasn’t been here long.”

Pausing to think for a moment, he reached a decision and motioned for her to move with him, Nei’din joining them as they started walking into the city. “We can talk as we walk. I know a place that will be a good place to start. It is a den of iniquity where whores, thieves, and murderers gather to drink and plan more evil. The Car’a’carn won’t let us kill them unless we catch them in the act, so they know they have little to fear if they keep their hands clean. Still, it may be that they have some knowledge of our prey that we can encourage them to share.”

The hard look in the young man’s cold blue eyes left no doubt that they would be successful at finding whatever they would need.

OOC: Guess its time for me to get caught up in this :P

IC: Esyndor huddled in an alley, finishing a hasty meal of bread and cheese before continuing his search. He wouldn't have thought that finding Lord Esanoma would be so difficult. But then again, he hadn't counted on the Aiel being in the city. Tyran Esanoma seemed to be in the thick of some resistance plot and was understandably avoiding any attention at all. In the few days Esyndor had been in Cairhien he had heard very little. It was almost as if he had disappeared completely.

The frustration was almost more than he could bear. Five years he had searched. Five years of pain and growing hatred. Such an odd path he had been down. More than three years in Murandy had paid off well in the end, allowing him to find a man in Caemlyn who had been involved in his parents deaths. A man who had watched them die. Oh how he had enjoyed 'speaking' with that man. In retrospect, it might not have been the best idea to have let him live, but the information he had provided was worth something. His life seemed a pitiful price for the name he had now. He had not taken an active role anyway. And beside, why would such a lowlife dare go to the authorities to report him?

And now, the man he was searching for, a noble of no small standing and influence, was nowhere to be found. It was maddening. So close ... I can't give up now. Burn him! Esy closed his eyes and leaned back against the wall, planning his next move. There was a hell nearby where he might be able to find something. He hated the places, especially here in Cairhien, but they served his purpose. Someone had to know something, and a hell was the best place to find that someone.

Pulling himself to his feet, he took a swig from his water skin to clear the crumbs from his throat and set off toward the place, trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Difficult in a nation as short as Cairhien, but he managed to keep well hidden. Within a few minutes he had arrived, and took a seat at a table in a dark corner where he could examine everyone inside and hear many of the conversations, as well as watch the front door. You could never be too careful here.

Guest Estel

Alianna had to take three strides for the Aielman’s two and so she was somewhat laboured in talking and keeping such a brisk pace. “I have a fairly decent idea of what he looks like but I wouldn’t be able to pick him out of a crowd of Andorans. However, he would not know me to look on me, either and does not yet know he is being pursued- or at least does not know who is pursuing him. He arrived in the city, probably close to a month back and could very well be using a false name. However, he cannot hide his nationality and between the impending war and the natural enmity between Cairhienin and Andoran, there will be few Andoran in the city.”

For the rest of the walk to the city, Alianna gave a detailed second-hand account of Renethil’s torture and what his victim could gather of the delinquent’s assassination plot.

Cor’s hell was exactly as Alianna had imagined it. On the outside, it was no different from any of the other dilapidated buildings on the narrow, dingy street. Those windows that were not boarded up had no glass panes or else only shards remained. The original colours of the buildings were indistinguishable and it wasn’t until they reached the door that Alianna could tell that the Noblewoman’s Bush- a double-meaning if ever she saw one- was made of brick though so covered in dirt, feces, moss and other signs of deterioration that it was impossible to tell from afar. The former Kandori had the sudden urge to wash her hands even before she grabbed hold of the doorknob and walked in.

None of the patrons even glanced her way until Cor followed her in, at which point silence reined supreme and the room froze for a minute. After a good bout of glaring from the lowlifes, they slowly began to trickle away from what seemed must be a half dozen exits.

Approaching the man who looked most likely to be the owner of this “fine establishment”, Alianna received her fill of glares.

“Oy, lady! You an’ Black-Eyes better git yer sorry hides outta here ‘cuz yer scarin’ away ma customers.”

“I’ll take an ale.” Cool as winter day, she ignored his insults and slid him a gold crown; five times what the drink was worth- or it would be if it had been real. The slimy man snatched the coin up with quick hands and rushed to get her drink. “I suppose you serve mainly locals here.” he nodded in reply as foam spilled over the top of her mug onto his skinny wrist as he set the drink down in front of her. Coin went a long way towards civility though he still glared murderously at Cor and had made no move to get the Stone Dog a drink despite her having paid more than enough for the both of them.

“Damn savages‘re screwing up trade.” Alianna snorted allowed but covered it up by coughing on her ale- the stuff was terrible. The man was awfully brave with a counter between him and Cor but no doubt would be a snivelling wretch should the Aieman move for one of his spears. As for trade, who was he kidding? As if any self-respecting merchant or merchant’s guard would visit this piss-hole!

“I can imagine.” Ali said, faking sympathy. “I just came from Andor myself, looking for my no-good brother. The bastard owes me money and there’ll be a round on me for the man who helps me find his goat-kissing hide.”

“Really?” He feigned disinterest… badly. She had his attention now, all she needed was some answers. “What’s yer name, lady?”

“Marilin Renethil.”

Alianna Karalev

ooc: up to you, Arath, if they're in the same place of not, if not I'll have the guy point Ali & Cor in the right direction...

Esy grimaced as the man he had been speaking with suddenly arose and left the building along with most of the rest of the patrons. Nobody wanted to be seen here, especially by the Aiel. And the man had known something. He was sure of it. He shifted his focus to the newcomers, wondering what would bring a lone Aiel into a place like this.

“Marilin Renethil.”

Only a supreme effort kept Esyndor from coughing into his mug and staring at the woman. This was bad. How in the light had someone found him? Realization dawned on him suddenly, and he silently cursed himself for his stupidity. He should have killed the man.

Only the knowledge that this woman and her giant Aiel friend didn't know who he was kept him from leaving. Doing anything now would arouse suspicion. Unfortunately, it didn't seem that he could avoid some sort of confrontation. A quick glance around revealed that he was the only Andoran out of the now few patrons. A fact that the owner of this place was just now pointing out to 'Marilin'.

Appearing not to care at all, Esy took another sip of the awful ale, not sure if he really wanted to swallow any. A full mug might also make a useful distraction if a quick escape was needed. Watching warily as the dangerous looking pair moved toward him, he considered his options. All things considered, there weren't many at all. He doubted the Aiel man would have any problems catching him if he made a break for it. Esyndor was fast, but he'd never seen anyone move like them. He suspected that some of them might be able to run down horses.

"Not very popular in here are you?" he asked, stressing the slight Murandian accent he had acquired over the last few years. "Can I help you with something? Find someone perhaps?"

Cor coolly surveyed the room, his cold blue eyes quickly assessing the remaining patrons for any possible threats. The majority of the occupants had fled the room when he entered, scurrying away in terror as fast as jackals when a lion appeared.

The image in his mind was amusing, especially because Nei’din was lying just outside in the shade.

His face was expressionless as he scanned for any signs of aggression, the stoic blankness typical of the Aiel, with only his eyes betraying any hint of his thoughts.

There was plenty of animosity directed toward him in the quickly averted gazes and the muttered curses, but there was no open hostility. It would suffice, for now. Still, he hated being around these kinds of places. As he saw it, too much of the Aiel’s time was taken in dealing with the unsavory side of the Treekillers’ citizenry, and it certainly didn’t make his brethren feel any more compassion for the Oathbreakers. The Car’a’carn asked it of them, though, and the tall Stone Dog did his duty as best he could.

Completing his brief, but penetratingly thorough, inspection of the inn’s denizens, he turned his gaze upon the seated man Alianna Karalev was speaking with. Cor silently praised the man’s choice of seating because it prevented anyone from approaching him unawares, although he still wasn’t used to the idea of anyone sitting in a chair around him.

In the Threefold Land, the only person who ever did such a thing was the Clan Chief. And he only sat in the Chief’s Chair for two purposes, to pass judgment or accept surrender. Cor idly wondered if the wetlanders observed such civilized rituals.

Returning his attention to the task at hand, Cor placed himself a bit behind Alianna Karalev and to her right with his body turned slightly toward the rest of the common room. He was content to let her handle the proceedings, because it was her hunt they were on. Wetlanders were more likely to speak more freely with each other than with an Aiel, anyway. Besides, she said she had been a thief catcher for a long time and would no doubt be offended if he tried to step in. He would watch her back and be ready to dance the spears if it came to that.

As the interview continued, Cor got the strange feeling that something wasn’t right. He had grown to trust these hunches, because they had saved his life and his men’s on numerous occasions. Quickly scanning the room around them again for anything out of place, he saw nothing.

Then it hit him. The man Alianna Karalev was talking to was much too relaxed. Even the bar tender had been nervous enough to spill ale on himself when he served her. But the seated patron was strangely calm. Like the calm before a storm.

Cor looked him over again, this time more thoroughly. The man’s hands were both in plain sight, so he wasn’t about to attack. His voice was calm and friendly, but his eyes. There was something about his eyes. They reminded him of a mountain king when it had coiled but had not yet struck. His eyes weren’t relaxed at all.

This man was dangerous.

Guest Estel

Alianna was startled by the man’s thick Murandian accent. According to the victim’s physical description, this man could very well be her assassin but this accent didn’t fit. Never had her informant mentioned an accent and with it being so predominant, he would have picked it up. There was always the chance he was faking it but Ali rather doubted that.

“I am looking for my brother, master…” despite the implied question, he did not give his name. “An Esyndor Renthil, have you heard any news of him? He’s Andoran and bears an odd resemblance to you, in fact. Please, could you tell me how an Andoran comes by a Murandian accent?” If this was her criminal hopefully he’d crack under the pressure and bolt. If not… Well, at least the suspect list was one name shorter.

Esyndor forced a small smile at her questions. This might get tricky if he wasn't careful. "I only look Andoran. I was born near the Andoran border, ins a fairly mixed community with a lot of Andoran blood. But I spent most of my life in Lugard." He shrugged. "Common mistake.

"So, Renethil you say?" Esy rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I spoke to a man yesterday by that name. Didn't give me a first name, but thats hardly surprising considering what he wanted."

At 'Marilin's' inquisitive look, Esy pressed his mug to his lips to give himself a moment to think. He grimaced as the foul liquid passed his lips and recoiled slightly. "I've tasted some bad ales in my time, but this . . ." He noted her impatient expresion and tightening grip on her quarterstaff and nodded. He decided to stick to the truth as much as possible. It would be far more difficult for them to catch him in a lie if it was mostly truth. "Right. He wanted to know the whereabouts of a certain noble. Lord Esanoma." Try as he might, he couldn't keep the venom from his voice as he said that name. The object of five years of searching and suffering. "I have my own reasons for hating that light-cursed fool, so I was more than happy to look into it for Renethil. If there's any man in this city who deserves death, it's Esanoma. The only noble I've ever heard of who does his own dirty work. I'd hoped the Aiel would have killed him by now, since he's involved in many of the pitiful resistance groups, but as long as they fail ... no disrespect intended," he added quickly, nodding to the giant Aiel man. "He's been nearly impossible to track down. Too well connected with everyone."

After a moment of thoughtful silence, Esy decided to ask some questions of his own. "You know, for his sister you don't seem to have the best of intentions for him. I would think that you would want to see the man who murdered your family destroyed as well. So why are you really after him?"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Estel

Alianna eyebrows shot to her hairline at his claim to have been raised in a mixed community of Andorans and Murandians. Andorans and Murandians hated each other on principal and there had been border disputes between the two nations since long before her birth and there were next to no communities that dared live too close to the border for fear of raids and there would definitely be no community of mixed heritage between Andorans and Murandians.

Unless she was terribly off her mark- and she didn’t believe she was as there were far too many coincidences- this was her man, all right. “You know exactly why I’m after you, Renethil.” she said with something of a triumphant grin. She made the move for her quarterstaff but was not nearly as quick as he…

ooc: sorry if I'm moving this too fast, I tried to get ahold of you alst night but couldn't

OOC: Not quite what I had planned . . . but oh well. :)

IC: Luck was with him today. Just as the woman was about to make a move the door banged open and a noisy pair of drunks came stumbling in, apparently fighting. The Aielman instinctively swung around to check the disturbance, giving Esy the second he needed. In one swift motion the horrible ale from his mug was sent flying at the thief-catchers face, and the table was knocked over, crashing into the back of the Aiel's knees.

Leaping to his feet, Esy slammed his elbow into 'Marilin's' chest to throw her off balance as he dashed for the door. Once outside he sent a pile of boxes crashing down in front of the door to buy a little extra time before sprinting down the shadowed alley. He heard the door bang open just as he rounded a corner and a curse as someone triped over a box. Without a moments pause he kept running. He didn't plan on dying here. Not yet.

Cor heard the change in Alianna Karalev’s voice as she said, “You know exactly why I’m after you, Renethil.” He shifted his stance and peered intently at the man’s face as guilt blossomed on it like a desert flower. But before the would-be assassin made a move, Cor was distracted by a tumultuous entrance into the hell.

The Stone Dog swept his head toward the disturbance as he instinctively began to raise his veil. It took only a heartbeat for him to realize that it was just a pair of drunken fools, but it was all the distraction their target needed.

Cor tumbled to the floor as the table slammed into the back of his knees. As the wanted man dashed past, he reached out to grab an ankle, but it was just out of reach. Heaving himself to his feet, he quickly glanced over his shoulder to see the thief catcher doing the same. The chase was on!

Sprinting to the door, he kicked it open, sending a spilled pile of boxes into even more scattered disarray. But he had no thoughts for that. His eyes caught sight of his prey turning the corner into the nearby alley. A woman’s curse behind him as his fellow hunter stumbled over one of the strewn boxes told him she was eager to snare her prey.

The young Aiel warrior flashed an eager smile to the thief catcher as he took off with a sprint after his mark. “Can you run, borderlander?” And quick as a black lance, he was off like a grey-brown blur.

Nei’din roared behind them, a sound that set horses and women to screaming, as he galloped to join Cor in the pursuit.

Smiling, Cor was happy. At least today won’t be boring.

OOC: feel free to do what you want with the chase, although i suggest taking it to the rooftops, at least for a bit. that way, the lion doesn't catch Esy.

also, i'd like to be the one who RP's the "fight scene" where Cor gets bonked on the head, if that's ok. so if it's alright with you two, by the time it's my turn to write again just have Esy hemmed in a corner and turning to fight. i'll take it from there. cool?

Guest Estel

Events conspired against her. The two drunks provided enough distraction to turn her head for just a moment; her eyes left him for only a moment; she let her guard down only a moment. Only a moment and he was moving. Ale was thrown in her face, stinging her eyes and she instinctively closed them, only too late to have prevented anything. Suddenly disoriented, she heard a crash and opened her eyes as the would-be-assassin hit her in the worst possible place anyone could do to a woman: her breast.

Air escaped her lungs as she clutched her chest. Tears stung her eyes and while it might not come near a man being hit in the groin, this was about as bad as it got- minus child birthing and monthly cramps.

Cor was leaping over her by the time she got to her feet. He set off running and she was forced to sprint to catch up to him. “Can you run, Borderlander?” She grunted in indignation. “How do you think I made my living, Stone Dog?”

Adrenaline pumped through his veins as Esyndor heard the mighty roar from the streets behind him. Fear spiked through him and propelled him to greater speed as he tore down the alley's and back streets of Cairhien. Rounding one tight corner, he couldn't help but look back at the beast that followed him. He wished he hadn't. The giant creature was bearing down on him with terrifying speed.

Praying for a miracle, Esy pushed his muscles to their limits, legs screaming from the effort to keep ahead of the death behind him. Leaping over a box, he turned down a very tight passage between two large buildings, hoping it would be too tight a squeeze for the beast. His idea kind of worked; it slowed down a little, giving Esy a little more breathing room. But not enough.

Jumping out of the alley and back into a main street, he wove through the crowd, hearing the shouts of protest as he knocked people over, then shouts of surprise and fear as the lion emerged from the alley and did the same. Knowing he couldn't keep ahead of the beast for much longer, he frantically searched for another option. A low hanging ledge gave him the out he needed. Leaping up, he heaved himself onto the ledge, pulling his legs up just as the giant cat closed the distance. He felt the rush of air as massive paws missed him by inches.

Esy's knees and lungs screamed at him to stop, but he knew he had to keep moving. The lion might not be able to reach him on the roof top, but the Aielman would have no such problems. Pushing himself to his feet, he started moving again. He knew his chances were slim, but if there was a chance of escape, he had to take it.

Guest Estel

Renethil led them on a daring chase through the crammed city streets. It must have been quite comical to the unwitting onlookers. There was an Andoran, chased by a lion, chased by an Aiel, chased by a Kandori. It must have looked something akin to a mouse-cat-dog-hunter chase. Nei’din just about managed to clamp his great jaws around one of the man’s ankles when the Andoran suddenly vaulted himself up on a ledge and onto the rooftops.

Alianna groaned. This would hardly be her first rooftop chase and would be unlikely, despite fervent wishes, to be her last. Cairhien was not as suited to these chases as the Borderland towns and cities she was used to working in which were designed to minimize allies and shadows so Myrdraal were not able to sneak in. This meant all the buildings were close together and therefore there was little jumping over gaps.

In contrast, Cairhien was built with none of that in mind. Since they were in the Foregate, dilapidated buildings made footing treacherous. Often, you’d have only gotten onto a roof before you’d have to jump to the next and so a good percentage of your time was spent with ground twenty, thirty, forty, sometimes fifty and higher feet below. This was the part Alianna hated. She didn’t mind running across rooftops with pavement below her feet, but to fly over nothing where one misjudgement would cost your neck and life, sent her heart into her mouth.

Luckily for them, Esyndor seemed unused to flight across rooftops and had no staff or pole to help launch him across gaps caused by the multitude of allies that ran through the Foregate like ant tunnels. The Andoran managed to get over the first such gap with little difficulty, while Alianna used her staff to launch herself across and land on her feet as her father had trained her years ago. She had barely gone a few yards before she was forced to jump again. ‘Oh Light, please, just let him fall!’

A few rooftops later, Esyndor wondered if he'd be better off trying his luck against the lion. The tiled roof threatened to throw him to the ground with every step, and it seemed that every roof was farther away and higher up than the last. And his pursuers were gaining on him. He half expected an aiel spear to pierce him at any moment, but he kept on running.

The chase nearly came to an abrupt halt as the tiles beneath Esy's feet gave way, sliding off to the ground and nearly taking him with them. Panic swept over him as he realized how high up he was, and how hard he was likely to hit the stone street below. As he reached the edge of the slanted roof he somehow managed to gather his feet underneath himself and leap off with a tremendous shove, praying that he could reach the next roof.

The wall hit his chest with painful force, driving his breath away and bruising his ribs. His face scrapped along the rough wall, adding to the pain. But incredibly, his fingers held their precarious grip on the roof top. Looking down while he caught his breath, Esy considered dropping down to the ground to try and lose the pursuit in the alleys again. He entertained the thought until the lion loped into view again. Blood and ashes ... Gritting his teeth he pulled himself painfully on top of the building, onto the mercifully flat roof. Pushing himself back onto his feet, he looked around quickly for somewhere else to run. What he saw was disheartening. He was now on the most isolated rooftop around, with nowhere else to go. He was stuck.

He didn't turn around immediately as he heard someone else land on the rooftop behind him. Was this it? Defeat? So close to his goal, yet now so far away ... The person behind him approached slowly in silence. Taking a deep breath, Esyndor drew his daggers and slowly turned, ready to face death.

Cor was impressed with the would-be-assassin’s speed as he tore down the alley, across the street, and onto the ledge just barely avoiding Nei’din’s jaws. As the athletic Aiel warrior pulled himself onto the roof, he thought what a strange turn of events today had taken. Just as he gained his footing, he saw his prey leap to the next roof like some ungainly bird unsure of whether it could fly or not.

“Fear has lent him wings,” Cor joked as his crime-fighting cohort pulled herself up. She cracked a smile, and he added, “You run well for a wetlander.” Then it was back to business.

Cor ran easily across the rooftop and leapt the gap with no hesitation. He was no Mountain Dancer, but he’d spent plenty of time climbing in the Dragonwall and even the Mountains of Mist in the wetlands. Heights held no fear for him, and the footing wasn’t nearly as treacherous as the slate, sand, and gravel paths common in the Threefold Land.

He was impressed by the thief catcher’s style, though. She planted her staff like a pole and vaulted over the empty space between the buildings. The technique was obviously something she had perfected through years of use.

Now that he had once again witnessed her skills, Cor decided to leave her to her own devices and catch the criminal as soon as possible. It wouldn’t do to get outrun by some flightless, featherless bird of a wetlander. Laughing to himself, his blue eyes twinkling mischievously, the Stone Dog sprinted across the rooftops of Cairhein.

Rapid bursts of staccato footsteps on shingles were interwoven with brief interludes of soundless flight as he played a symphony of pursuit in the air high above the Treekillers’ city. He was gaining ground swiftly on both Esyndor, he thought his name was, and the thief catcher. He could hear Alianna Karalev still coming at a run behind him, but losing ground.

Cor thought the chase was over when Esyndor, or as he had come to think of him in his head, Ugly Bird, slipped on a steeply slanted roof that was some distance from the next building. But Ugly Bird managed to fly just far enough to land awkwardly on the next roof, perching precariously as his humorous bent imagined it, dangling by the most tenuous of grips at the roof’s edge.

The Aiel stood silent witness as he waited to see what would happen, and as Ugly Bird heaved himself onto solid ground, albeit probably 20 feet up, Cor nodded. The man certainly had courage. But Ugly Bird had flown his last today. The nest he had just landed on was completely isolated from any adjoining structures.

Trotting back to about the mid-way point of his launching pad, Cor sprinted and launched himself into the openness of the sky.

Landing with a roll to soften the brunt of the impact, he came up in a crouch. He said nothing, because there was nothing to say. Who knew what a wetlander would do at any time? And wetlander criminals were probably even less predictable. When Ugly Bird slowly turned toward him and drew two daggers, Cor’s smile turned grim and his mischievous blue eyes turned very, very cold.

Raising his veil slowly, Cor spoke softly. “That was a mistake.”

He sprang toward his adversary without even bothering to draw a weapon. He was a weapon. Ugly Bird’s talons flashed in the sun, but Cor’s hands flashed even faster. As the first talon thrust at him from Ugly Bird’s right hand, Cor’s left hand connected with Ugly Bird’s wrist like an axe blade. The dagger was sent flying harmlessly to the ground as pain numbed Ugly Bird’s hand. Almost faster than the eye could follow, in the same fluid motion Cor’s right knee came up to connect with Ugly Bird’s torso. The Aiel’s kneecap struck the soft spot just below where the rib cage meets above the stomach.

Ugly Bird made an ugly gasp for breath as his mind struggled to stave off the body’s sudden urge to collapse. Cor easily blocked the last, weak attack by Ugly Bird. The talon in his left hand was blocked by Cor’s right forearm to Ugly Bird’s left. The knife fell to the ground as Ugly Bird toppled to his knees in pain, his hands splayed on the rooftop the only thing keeping him from falling onto his face.

Cor circled the would-be-assassin slowly, and he was vaguely aware of the thief catcher landing on the rooftop behind as he finally pulled out a spear to serve justice. He took no joy in killing, but it had to be done. The man had proven his guilt by drawing steel.

Cold blue eyes looked down into a pain-and-fear filled face, as Cor spoke through his veil. “This dream is ended. Perhaps in the next one, you will find happiness. Death will be swift.”

Then everything went black…