DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Good Advice [Attn Brand]

tismeb4u

OOC: with the error that happened resulting in missing posts this is a continuation of the same titled thread that was just starting.

Life had it's ironic way of kicking a man when he was down. At least that was Corin's view on it; more so when he was unexpectedly met at shift change by the Commander himself. Corin had made sure over the past few weeks that he was like clockwork for his shifts. Never changed one, always was early and made sure a smile was plastered to his face when others where around. The facade was perfect he thought until the invitation in person arrived. Even as he tried to state reasons why he could not meet Brand for drinks he found himself bundled along by the Commander and in short order in front of a warm fireplace with a bottle in hand facing the man he had hoped believed everything corrected. Corin respected a Commander that took a personal interest in the well being of his men, it spoke highly of his character. He just was not fond of the interest being put in himself; especially in regards to the problem he was desperately trying to find a solution to.

“I have been doing well Commander, really I hope I have not missed something. I have ensured that duty has been returned to the forefront again.” Even if the duty is not what you believe it to be, I know in my heart that is where my duty lies. The mind was a funny thing how it completed unspoken truths and always brought light to the darkest of thoughts and lies. It was truly a good thing that Aes Sedai could not read the minds of men. “Um ... as for the .. personal matter it is ... I mean ... I'm working on it still.” He voice was slightly hesitant and he mentally cursed himself. She had taught him better; scorn his weakness if she was here to witness it. Firming his voice and taking on the tone and appearance of the steady man he had been, he tipped back the bottle briefly before continuing. “I assure you Commander the issue I have will not effect my duties and loyalties to the Tower and the guard. Certain things of delicacy need longer windows of time to be properly dealt with. But that being the case I will not allow it to effect my duties.” I will find a way to bridge that chasm created by mine hand. I will ensure her safety somehow, that is my duty. A vow spoken in the darkness that same night as their first meeting played through his head but no indication touched his outward appearance.

“I thank-you for asking Commander but assure you I have all well in hand so you mustn't worry over it. You have far more important concerns I'm sure. If there is anyway I can help please do not hesitate to ask. Between wall duties and the mentee's in my care I still have a little time now and then to assist others.” His smile was warm and natural in every aspect, diversion; change the focus to the left hand when you wanted to hid the right. More of his path training that had interwoven into his character.

• 2 weeks later...

Brand was a balance man. He’d been that way his entire life, balancing between family and duty, between what was right and wrong. He was known to make well balanced decisions, have a well balanced company, and do many well balanced… things. He was also known as a charmer, a friend, and a master of the path of misdirection. He knew that when the left hand was waving it you, the right one was preparing to hit you in the face. Besides, he’d talked to Isabella, and Isabella had said that Corin had seemed shaken by a conversation the man had had with Aran. Now while he could imagine that that would upset a person, his beloved had said that there seemed to more to it, as if Aran stepped on something in Corin that hurt a lot. A lovers quarrel perhaps?

Not that Brand suspected that Corin swung that way… Aran, perhaps, but Corin was just too… proper. Then again, they said it was always the quiet ones. Still, he didn’t think Corin was the type, and Isabella hadn’t either. And she knew such things. He’d take her word for it. Still, something about that argument stirred something in Brand. Brought back memories. Ah, how lost had he been when his Isabella had turned away from him? And how happy when she finally allowed him to win back her favour? He looked up at Corin, watching the man smile at him, seemingly convinced that he had Brand fooled. The man was up for a surprise. Brand was a Balance man, a Misdirection man, and he saw the avoidance in Corin’s eyes.

Unfortunately for Corin, Brand had no intention of letting it slide. He was also known as a meddling man. He nodded thoughtfully at the end of Corin’s speech, letting a deep silence fall between them. “Well, I suppose I will call on you when I need your assistance.” Brand said, grinning at Corin. “But meanwhile I just can’t shake the feeling that there’s something going on that you’re not telling me. Now I’ve made time this evening, excusing myself from all my duties, including some quality time spent with my woman, to try to find out if there’s something I can do for you. I’m your Commander, after all, and you’re a Tower Guard. I need to take care of all of those under my command, even those that don’t like being taken care of.”

Brand leant forward, placing his elbows on his knees. He then looked into Corin’s eyes, making sure he had the other man’s attention. “In your case that means that you’re not leaving this room until I’m convinced that I’ve helped you. You can try to run, of course, but if you feel that need, let me first remind you that I’m your Grand Master, as well as your Commander, and I have no qualms with tying you up in a chair for the duration of this evening, if that will loosen your tongue.” He sat back again, grinning. “Now out with it. What has you so down? Woman trouble? Man trouble? Family matters? I’m an expert on at least two of those things.”

~Brand Ryota

Commander of the Guard.

Ooc: sorry for the delay on this. Lost my inspiration for a while.

The intent in Brand's eyes and the smile that sat easily on his face set well into Corin's mind that there would be no easy way out of this conversation. Until the man was thoroughly satisfied he had solved the problem facing the younger guard before him he would not relent. Corin drew deeply on the bottle in hand as Brand eased back into his chair; drew deeply until the memories of the meeting several weeks ago with Aran found life in his stomach. A brief sensation of nausea swept his mind before he crushed it to the back.

He had tried foolishly to face a certain blade master of scorn thinking he could match wood with her and had paid for it; both by her hand and by Sirayn's later in the infirmary. Now he was beginning down that same false hope road with Brand. The man was the Grand Master of his path, what did he foolishly hope to gain by trying to match tactics. Still, the only way to grow and prove one's self was to challenge those above. But in pieces and small bits that remained manageable. It seemed a simple, slight of words and change in direction would not suffice to ease the need of his Commander to fix Corin's life. So a different plan was needed ...

“A relation problem if you really must know,” his voice twinged with dejection. “It seems that which I wish to talk to in view of closeness I can not, and that which I wish to talk to in view of friendship and not closeness I also can not.” Drawing another short sip from the distraction in his hand allowed him to focus the path he would try to walk. Avoiding the eyes of the other man he let his focus rest on the hypnotic dance of the flames in the fireplace as they licked at the wood. “So readily could I find warmth with one. Had she been first to the mark I would have fallen beyond recovery to her ... into her eyes. But alas it was another that holds the strings of the heart, a distant one who is only seen in memories now. How does one resist the temptation of heat and offered companionship only to stand in the cold with bare a memory to comfort the soul?” His voice trailed off with the question as brown and grey eyes once more met across the distance in his mind and battered at his soul. It was time to dance once more, only this time he had to be the meek and accepting guard saved by his great and illustrious Commander.

Why is it you haunt me Lavinya. I should be able to resist your charms and the tender touch of your hand, yet it confuses me and brings doubt to my purpose with you dear Sirayn.

• 2 weeks later...

Brand took a swig from the bottle in his hand while he listened to Corin ramble about love. It was as Brand had thought, the man was in love, in lust, and in duty, as Isabella often called it, while smiling at him fondly. Love, on it’s own, was a fierce opponent, ready to pounce on a man when he least expected or desired it. But when the heard was torn by not one, but two? Brand repressed a shiver, feeling sorry for the young man sitting opposite to him. To be so deeply devoted to someone who barely saw him standing, and then to be tempted by another. Brand knew all about the way such warmth could distract a man from what he really wanted. For a while, at least. In the end, the heart decided what a man needed, and once the heart had made it’s choice, it would not change it’s course easily.

“Ah, women…” Brand started, pressing his fingers together. “I could kill a man without blinking and without breaking a sweat. I could run for miles and miles without faltering. I can do many things, remarkable things, things that make me stand out in a crowd because I am among the best of the yards. And yet, should my Isabella wish it, she could break me as easily as I could break a twig. And yet I trust her, and have faith that she will not do so.” Corin wasn’t as lucky though. From where Brand sat, he could see that even now two forces were tugging at him, and sooner or later the man would break. That would be unfortunate, because he was a talented Tower Guard. Talented at politics as well as strategy and battle, a combination that Brand didn’t see in people all that often.

“I take it that the one your heart truly desires is beyond your reach.” It dawned on Brand that, here within the White Walls, that could only mean two things. The woman was either married to another man, or married to a ring and a shawl, and a purpose far greater than to simply love another. As for the other woman… “You’ll have to determine for yourself what your desires are worth. If you cannot live without the one who holds your heart, then you can never have the one who warms it now.” Brand took another swig, buying himself a moment. “You must make sure that she remembers who you are, and what your heart desires from her. If she is always on your mind, then you need to make sure that you are always on her mind as well.”

~Brand Ryota

ooc: not in good shape, sorry about that. just imagine that Brand said something very clever and enlightening there ;)

Always on her mind .... live without .... never have. If it was only so easy as that. “Why are women so complicated and yet so ... needed.” The thought made open to the world as a soft utterance lost in that thought. Quickly he tipped the bottle back to regain composure and focus; the liquid spreading warmth within him. “Have you ever tried to make sure you are on a woman's mind. It's hard enough as it is but when you can't even be near them or associate with them then you may as well sing a tree to grow sideways for all the luck you have. I mean really, how do you suggest a person be on someone's mind if they want nothing to do with you in the slightest?” A bold thought blazoned across his mind as the final words tumbled fro his mouth. A remembrance of a visit to the infirmary for his mentee. What if ... what if the tension in that hand was not over belief I had caused the issue? What if the tension was because she ... could she .... could she still really care what happened to the darkfriend that held her captive and threatened her with madness in isolation? The thought was to large, to stark in different to the reality he found himself in.

She had made it perfectly clear she wanted nothing to do with him again; had kept to that original vow from what he had seen. Never sent for him since, never directly conversed or went out of her way to be anywhere he was. But still, a fragile thin glimmer of hope in the dark abyss of depression twinkled weakly and he latched on to it as a life line. Suppose she is still at the game; still playing a part, her part. Unable to reverse a decision made in haste; against her character. Quickly plans began to form in his mind as he contemplated the man across from him. Bit's and pieces kept, as each was discarded as unsuccessful or impractical. But the bits and pieces still offered hope if he could put them together in a cohesive plan. Now the question became how he could leverage Brand and his lady friend toward the end he sought.

Again the bottle went to his mouth as the gears in his head worked options, the dance once more in motion to the rhythm of his mind. “The problem with one is, I believe, under control for what is needed. Control being the balancing act we do daily with sword and step. But tell me this if you would Brand, what would draw the mind in a positive way while not drawing near in presence?” Corin leaned slightly forward as he eyed the man who had opened this discussion and set their feet on the path before them. Watched as he tipped the bottle back for a long drink.