DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A path begins [ATTN Vasilis]

tismeb4u

Corin looked out over the moon lit yard; a mist still held the soft grass covered ground from sight. Dawn’s faint light painted the edge of the horizon with a tingeing of light and set the spire tops to twinkle in the dark sky above them. Today was the day he would be breaking in his new assignment. Why the Mistress of Trainee’s saw fit to assign the boy to him was beyond all reason short of spite. He would have to spend some time thinking later on what he had done to rile the foul women up and earn him this payment. Sure he had perhaps had a few instances that were out of the norm with his previous and present trainee’s. But was that really a reason for assigning this wayward soul to him.

He had enough on his plate already with the one trainee he had. The kid could get into more trouble then Corin could possibly imagine. Sean had never been that much trouble, and then there was his personal life. Sure his duty was to the Tower and it’s needs, which at the moment seemed to be training all these wet noses to be a useful tool. But he still had not found a way to mend the mess he had made with a certain storm-eyed woman. It was all too much rain in a barrel for one person, but of course his cursed life could not be so simple as to stop there. No, there was still the unfinished matter of a certain Redhead that had his insides tied in knots when she was in sight. He may as well spend the rest of his day’s under the watchful eye of the Commander in punishment of all the wrongs he knew his future must hold. There was simply no way he could see of there being an absence of trouble when he was still stuck between them.

The soft approach of hesitant steps caught his ear and he took a moment to unclench his jaw. Between the two of them they had him walking on pins and needles most of the time now and it was really starting to ware on him. “Vasilis, it was smart of you to heed my warning.†His voice was empty again as he addressed the trainee approaching from behind. “Today is the start of a very long and hard journey. I am here to see that A; you can be useful to someone when you have finished your time as a trainee and B; make sure that it is a long and hard journey to reach the Red Cloak.†He turned to face the boy who was now near him and tossed a lathe to Vasilis, “tell me have you ever used a weapon before?â€

He waited for the boy to catch the wooden practise bundle and begin to speak before he moved. With a quick kick from his foot a second lathe flipped up from the depths of the low ground fog. Snatching the hilt with ease he drew it through a smooth arc as he dropped to a knee and stopped the bundle just short of the boy’s exposed side. “First lesson, expect the unexpected. Always,†for the first time since he had spoken that morning an edge entered his voice emphasizing the last word. Rising back up on both feet he motioned for the boy to follow beside him as he set out across the yard toward the armoury. “Now you were about to tell me what you know of weapons.â€

Vasilis woke in the gray twilight of the false dawn. He lay in bed wishing for more sleep, but he knew that there would be consequences if he did not. If Corin wanted him to be up at dawn, the he would be obliged to do so.

He got up from the bed and put his clothes on and left. While he made his way to the yard, he noticed the moonlight reflecting off the freshly fallen dew. It reminded him of home. "No!," Vasilis thought to himself. He had to put his past behind him. He could not allow himself to be distracted by his past. If he was going to give his life to Aes Sedai, then he would have to leave his past self behind. It was time to become a weapon.

When he arrived at the yard, he saw Corin standing with his back to him. He appeared to be lost in thought. Not wanting to disturb his mentor, he approached slowly, trying to be quiet.

"Vasilis, it was smart of you to heed my warning. "Corin spoke with his back still turned to him, and his voice was as emotionless as ever. Light, did this man have emotions? "Today is the start of a very long and hard journey. I am here to see that A; you can be useful to someone when you have finished your time as a trainee and B; make sure that it is a long and hard journey to reach the Red Cloak." "Well that's just great," Vasilis thought to himself, "All I need is someone making things harder than they already are. Why did Corin seem to dislike him so much?"

Corin turned around suddenly and threw the lathe in his hand to him. He caught it in his right hand, and then Corin asked,"Tell me, have you ever used a weapon before?"

"Yes, I've used-," he began to answer his question, when Corin suddenly kicked with his foot, and before Vasilis knew what was happening, Corin was on one knee and another lathe was stopped inches from his side. “First lesson, expect the unexpected. Always,†he spoke as if Corin himself always followed this advice, and that if Vasilis didn't, there were going to be consequences. It seemed like harmless advice, but was it? Was his mentor telling him that he was going to do this at random intervals throughout his training. If he did, Vasilis was going to go insane.

“Now you were about to tell me what you know of weapons.†Corin turned and motioned him to follow. Vasilis was having a hard time keeping his emotions in check. He thought that if his mentor kept this up, he would be primed for murder. "I only know what my father taught me," he said. "I know how to wield a quarterstaff fairly well, and a sword somewhat. My father always won the competitions at the feast days at home, but I wasn't as good as him." When he finished talking, he realized that they were outside of a large building that Vasilis could not remember seeing before."Where are we?" Vasilis asked, with a slight nervousness, he realized. "What are we doing here?"

Corin listen to the boy explain his prior knowledge with half an ear. Memories flooded his mind of a boy who arrived in Tar Valon on a ship with wide eyes and larger then life dreams. A boy who had faced a man cold and hard and at times wanted to come to blows with. That boy had been Corin and the man had been the Master at Arms and his mentor. Reikan, Some days I could really use your advise. So many things had happen on his journey to the cloak; through all of it he had come to respect the man and it had been hard to say good bye to him that morning he left the yards for good. Somewhere out in the world Corin knew his soul still traveled and perhaps one day he might reunite with the man he had come to think as much of as his own father.

He had already successfully trained one boy; bringing him to the steps of becoming a man and watching him take the oaths and done the Red cloak. It had been his greatest achievement and he had felt a swelling of pride in his chest, one he had pondered about when he was but a mentee himself. Shawn was becoming a very good Tower Guard and Corin still could not resist the urge to monitor his progress now and then like a curious father watching in the shadows as his child began to set a path for his life.

As they arrived at the squat blocky building a new emotion of mixed apprehension and longing swept through him, drawing him in with the picture of the armoury. It was in this place; in the dark with the rattling echo of thunder low overhead that his true destiny began. The red glow from the forge in the back room had been his only warning to the path his feet were about to be placed on that night and he did not heed it’s warning. Now he was tied to a little old lady with a presence that commanded complete attention and whom’s simplest gaze brought many a strong willed to their knees in submission. Only that was a mess right now and he longed to fix it.

“In the Towers armoury the forge master has created every conceivable weapon know to man.†His voice had lost some of its edge with the growing memories; “In there you will find a weapon that fits you; that matches what you feel to be your calling.†Turning to Vasilis his face remained unchanged but the voice that came from it seemed at odds with it slightly. “You have what time you need to choose the weapon or weapons of choice for your future. Choose wisely Vasilis, for to change your choice in the future is not always an easy task.†Corin’s hand came to rest on the boys shoulder for a moment and his voice seemed almost hesitant before he was able to clear all signs of emotion from it again. “Go an make your choice. I will wait here for your return, then we will continue your training.â€

As the door closed behind the boy his eyes swept to the Tower rising above them. She was in there, some where on it’s ramparts or mazes of corridors the women he needed to be next to was alone and there was little he could do about that. A tear he had not know was there tipped over the edge of his lashes and began its slow journey down his cheek. It was good that the boy was inside and not witness to his weakness. Drawing it away with the back of his hand he moved to the side of the building and leaned back to await the return of his newest problem.

OOC: Okay you can find a description of the Armoury in on the Warders site. Write out how it appears to Vasilis's eyes, his impression of the waepons and his choice. Once he has selected you can have him meet up outside again.

Vasilis Daemon's eyes lit up in wonder upon seeing the inside of the great armoury. The walls were covered in weapons. There were axes, whips, swords, bows, the list went on. He could hardly conceal his excitement.

Vasilis was startled from his musing, when he noticed that he was not the only one in the room. He could here the clang of a forge. He saw boys about his own age running in and out of the forge, bearing more weapons to be placed on the racks, and walls. Where to begin?

He decided that the racks in the middle of the large chamber would be the place to start. He walked along the racks, every now and then placing a hand upon the hilt, and picking it up. Or trying to pick it up in most cases. He had to find something that he could use to his greatest effect. "A sword," Vasilis thought, "a light sword would fit me well." Now, where would he find one?

Hours had past, and he had begun walking around the wall of the armoury. He knew that Corin must be getting impatient, and it was probably not in his best interest to make him wait too long. He looked at the wall and came to a complete stop. He saw a sword that seemed to be calling to him. He placed his hand upon the hilt, and took it off of the wall. He looked at the blade in front of him. The slightly curving blade was not too heavy, but neither was it light. The length did not feel akward, but just right. He had found his weapon.

He took down the scabbard and slid the blade into it, and then walked to the doors. He hardly noticed the grand weapons all around him, because he knew that they could not match the one that he had in his hand.He reached out with his free hand, and opened the door. He eyes were immediately assaulted by the bright sunlight, for after the near darkness of the armoury, the sunlight was dazzling.

When his eyes had finally grown accustomed to the light, he looked for Corin. He was leaning against the side of the building. "I've made my choice," Vasilis said, smiling and holding out the sword.

• 2 weeks later...

Images flashed and flicked through his mind as he leaned against the stone building where it all began. Images of sharpened edges; different styles and shapes and sizes all designed for one thing. To end the life of another and remain concealed in a small sheath until that time was needed. The way they fit in her hand; so small and fragile in comparison to his own. The shortened fist knife that finally seemed to fit and marry to her hand. It had all been a start, a dance to a future he at one time believed possible. Foolish dream really, to believe in something not tangibly there at the start.

He played at a game where he had only a child's knowledge; was not born to it's intricacies. Did he really believe he had a chance in a game of nobles? A dagger slipped from his sleeve to twirl idly in his hand. It held the small carving in it's hilt that he used to impress the sealing wax on the reports he had sent to her over the years. Had come to be his sigil as if he truly was a member of a house that mattered. Foolish!! It was all a fools hope that he lived in; hoped for. From what he had gathered and learned over the years she and the tiny tree carved into her signet ring indeed held a true place in this game. Her veins held the flow of blood worthy of a house name. He was nothing more then a stable boy hoping to sit at her table and for a moment believe the dream could truly be.

The door popped open again and the boy materialized from the darkness within, a sheathed sword clutched in excited hands. A quick strike to the mid section with the lathe still in his other hand could crumple the boy in a heap while his eyes still adjusted. None of this is his fault. The dagger instead slipped silently back into it's sheath as he waited for the boy's senses to return. Stepping away from the wall that had supported him in his journey of the mind he moved over to the boy; hand closing on the swords hilt. He watched the expression on Vasilis's face as the soft sound of steel on steel spoke of the blades release from it's scabbard. Interesting Corin's eyes travels to the blade as he moved it through a few forms of motion. “Indeed you have, may it serve you well.â€

Drawing his arm back he sent the blade tumbling through the air. It's tip finally biting into the ground 30 paces away; the hilt swaying as the blade worked to dissipate the stored energy from the toss. “Remember it is just a tool, if you take care of it it will be there when you need it most.†the lathe in his other hand sliced up swiftly clipping Vasilis in the wrist; the boy's lathe falling to the ground. “But your senses will be what makes the tool useful. Always be away of your surroundings, now pick it back up and go get your sword. It's time you really learned how to use it.†His voice had taken on it's empty tone again as he turned and headed toward the Ogier grove. Remember Corin he is just a boy, he is not the cause of your problems.

OOC: post feelings, thoughts and your procession to the ogier grove and we can call this complete. On to the next ... :)

Corin reached over to grasp the hilt of the blade. His blade. He drew the sword out of the scabbard, and worked it through a few forms. “Indeed you have, may it serve you well.â€

Vasilis felt extrememly pleased with himself. He had found the blade, and felt that it was meant to be with him. It was like a part of him, and when Corin had drawn the blade, he had felt...bereft of something, something that he couldn't quite place a finger on. Not having possession of the blade was like not having his arm, he had lost a part of himself. It seemed like madness to him, but he couldn't describe it any other way.

When Corin threw the sword, an expression of horror crossed his face. It felt like someone had wreched his heart away from him. If Corin drawing the blade had made him feel uncomfortable, this was like murder. He couldn't explain it. His eyes couldn't register anything but the swaying of the sword buried in the ground. But he vaguely heard Corin say, “Remember it is just a tool, if you take care of it it will be there when you need it most.â€

A slap on the wrist brought Vasilis out of his trance. He looked at Corin, noticing that his eyes were blank of all emotion. "Does this man ever feel anything?", he asked himself.

“But your senses will be what makes the tool useful. Always be aware of your surroundings, now pick it back up and go get your sword. It's time you really learned how to use it.â€

Corin turned and started walking away from where his sword stood in the ground, so Vasilis ran to get his sword. He plucked it out of the ground, sheathed it, and then ran after Corin. Ran after the man who would teach him how to use the sword in his hand. He would learn how to use this to show Corin that he did belong here. He would. "Why does Corin dislike me so much?" Vasilis asked himself,"Why?"

• 2 weeks later...

As they walked Corin worked to keep the agitation of his life from his work with the new boy. Be gentle yet firm, the boy will learn but it takes time. Not all are as Dorian has become, perhaps this one will turn out to be another Shawn. The thought stirred an emotion on the outside of the void; slipped of the glass like surface as dissipated like smoke without ever touching him. His training would be so much better if he did not have this constant worry about two women that occupied that symbol of light and hopefully triumph over the Father of Lies. They were out of his reach for the moment; this boy was his concern now, should be his concern.

“Vasilis, this place we go to is where we will meet each day after breakfast. This is where I will begin to introduce you to your new way of life. That does not mean I do not want to see you before sun rise at the track. A body must be strong as with the mind so I expect little if any alcohol to be consumed while you are in my care for the duration of your training here in the yard. I trust I do not need to explain the consequences,†He glanced over his shoulder with a raised brow and received a hurried nod. “Good, see that you stick to that agreement.†Bloody ashes now I am beginning to act like her, I need to get away from here and recollect my thoughts. “So boy, what is your goal in all of this, and do not tell me the obvious. Tell me why you really want to do this?â€

OOC: Okay, once you have posted your reply we will be in compliance for the thread. Sorry, got the post count mixed up with others. My fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Vasilis walked behind Corin as he led him through the yards. He could not reason out why Corin seemd to dislike him though. It was an ever elusive puzzle that just seemed to slip away from him everytime he thought he had an answer. He had to trust that Corin knew what was best for him, but Corin also had to trust him. So far, he had shown none. He could not stop thinking that something was wrong here. How could he have ever been stupid enough to decide to train here. He should have considered his options more carefully. But then he would have felt that he had forsaken his duty. He owed a debt to the Aes Sedai that he had to pay for in full.

“Vasilis, this place we go to is where we will meet each day after breakfast. This is where I will begin to introduce you to your new way of life. That does not mean I do not want to see you before sun rise at the track. A body must be strong as with the mind so I expect little if any alcohol to be consumed while you are in my care for the duration of your training here in the yard. I trust I do not need to explain the consequences.â€

Vasilis nodded hurriedly as Corin gave him his orders. He had never taken a drink of alcohol in his life. He would not have to struggle to comply with that rule. "Good, see that you stick to that agreement," Corin said,"So boy, what is your goal in all of this, and do not tell me the obvious. Tell me why you really want to do this?"

Vasilis thought about giving Corin a false answer, but decided against it. What use what it to lie, when he could probably tell if he was lying? "I do this for three reasons. One is to fulfill a debt that I owe to the Aes Sedai for Healing me, the second is to find that bandits that attacked me and kill them. The third, is to learn more so that I will never be forced into a situation where I cannot defend myself." Vasilis forced a rough smile and said,"I only wish that I knew where those bandits were right now. If would make my job easier."