DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First Impressions Last

Evaida

A hot wind whipped down the street of Tar Valon as Evaida wandered leisurely along. As like many new Sisters she had been tempted to wear her Gray fringed shawl so that she would be recognised as Aes Sedai, but a warm summers day was no time to be wearing a shawl so her serpent ring would have to suffice. Every now and then someone would notice her ring and incline their head but for the most part Eva blended into the crowed. Since the day after she was raised to the shawl Evaida scoured the markets in search of something almost as rare as an Aiel with a sword – a good horse, and today was no different. Much to her disappoint today was all too similar to every other day before it – nothing. She must have looked at hundreds of animals in the past weeks and not one of them was the one she was looking for. There were short shaggy ponies, and tall sleek war horses, elegant grays from Noble stables, and geriatric bays from the out-skirting farms. She didn’t have enough fingers and toes to count the number of horse dealers trying to rip her off.

She wandered into the corral where Jon stood holding a tall gleaming chestnut gelding. Eva had purposefully worn her blue riding dress as Jon had promised he found a horse worthy of a trial at least. The animal was well conformed, good length of neck and back, strong legs and well muscled shoulders and hindquarters.

“How old is he?†Evaida asked as she approached, Jon knew well enough not to lie to her but she still checked the gelding’s teeth when he replied that it was 5 years old. She took up on his offer for a boost into the saddle and pressed the animal forward when Jon released the reins. It did not matter what horse she sat on Eva always felt more comfortable in the saddle than she did on her own two feet. The horse was responsive and forward with nice smooth paces but it was only a few minutes before she dismounted and led the horse back to the dealer.

“Not the one Evaida Sedai?†Jon asked with resignation “Not the one Jon, he doesn’t have enough…spirit†Eva replied handing over the reins “A fine horse indeed but I need something more…â€

“Firey?†Jon raised his brow in question “I know exactly what you are looking for but unfortunately an animal like that is hard to come by, you know what Tairens are like with their horses†he winked

“All to well dear Jon all too well. Maybe we will have more luck tomorrow†Eva knew the chances of that were slim, the only way she was going to find the right horse would be going back to Tear and she would not resort to that until absolutely necessary.

Walking back towards the Tower Evaida took in her surrounds. She certainly did not miss the constraints of the banded dress but the responsibility of being an Aes Sedai could be a wary burden particularly when you are the newest member of the Ajah. It was enough to make her drag her feet a little to prolong her time in the city. It was then that she noticed a young man walking just ahead of her, his gait was similar to that of a warder though not quite the stalking wolf of a fully trained Gaidin – a tower trainee perhaps.

Eva watched in alarm as another younger man approached him from behind blade in one hand while the other dipped into the trainees pocket inconspicuously relieving him of his wallet. Pick pockets and cut purses were rare in Tar Valon but it did not mean there was no one game enough to try. Without hesitation Evaida embraced Saidar and pushed through the crowed as the commotion began…

Mors had been wandering Tar Valon during his free time as of late. He used to spend his time training himself beyond that of Master Orion’s training, but that grew tiresome and eventually worsened his improvement when training with master Orion, as he felt as if all he did was drill, which had been essentially correct. After a time, he had found something to do during some of his free time, speaking with Alexis, a pretty, though shy novice who had seemed to show interest in him, and had given him yet another push to become a Warder. Romantic as his reason seemed, it was a reason, and it kept him fairly focused on his goal, while not entirely consumed. With two sturdy reasons under his belt, Mors was well inspired and motivated to become a Warder. However, as of late, Alexis had ceased being present during his times in the Gardens. Being ignorant of the reasons, Mors assumed she was unable to come that way during class, or was forced to pass straight through, not stopping to wait for him to arrive. Novices sometimes experienced changes in schedules, didn’t they?

And with thoughts as those distracting him, it was no wonder the noble Warder-in-training was not in a mindset to detect experienced pickpockets, especially ones that work in groups. In the crowd, he was lost, or so he thought. Difficult to lose oneself in a large mass of people, yet also so easy... all depending on your definition of lost. After a few moments of such intensely absorbing thought, Mors returned to reality, only to find his pockets being ‘cleaned’.

“‘Ey!â€

He gave a short cry, and he noticed the man with the dagger as id moved swiftly for his short-ribs. Moving fluidly aside in a knee-jerk reaction, his body spared him any serious injury, merely cutting his coat and giving him a somewhat nasty, yet light, cut across his side. The pair, realizing they’d taken on more than perhaps they should have, turned to run. Mors, of course, being the rash, romantically inclined (romantic in the more masculine sense, as in an idealized form of the world) Mors chased them into a back alley, trailing blood as the crowd dispersed.

Once he entered the alley, Mors drew his sword. While smaller than the hand and a half he preferred, he didn’t carry such a weapon inside Tar Valon, as using such a weapon in any city becomes quite difficult. Flourishing the blade, Mors called out.

“All I want is my wallet!â€

And he saw the one laughing and pointing at Mors, turning around was a larger, full adult with a not very pleasant looking mace. Turning, Mors found himself in quite a spot. The man laughed and raised the mace, preparing for a strike as Mors sidestepped and made a thrust for the man’s exposed underarm. The man, anticipating this, shifted his body to move out of the weigh, landing a hamfist into his face. Stumbling back, Mors was now not only bleeding from his side, but his face a bit too, as his teeth had unconsiously bit into his cheek.

As he stumbled back, he remember the pair of pickpockets behind him. He couldn’t back up more, or he’d find another blade into his ribs. But he can’t fight off the man before him, as he was more skilled, and stronger than Mors. Light! He thought, praying essentially, Don’t let me fail here... I can’t fail...

Everything happened so quickly that Eva did not have the chance nor the opportunity to do anything before the bandits ran off down an alley with the trainee in pursuit. Dresses were not designed for running so Evaida followed at a brisk walk, the fool boy had no idea what the thieves were capable off and two against one – even a well trained one – were not good odds. She followed the trail of blood around the corner not knowing whose blood it was or what she might find. Still holding the sweet life of Saidar she paused only a second to take in the scene. The two thieves part way down the alley with mischievous grins, a large balding man wielding a mace and the trainee in the middle.

Eva wove a thick thread of air stopping the mace mid swing and another two threads stopping the two smaller thieves in their tracks. It was clear from the confusion on all of their faces that they had not yet spotted her. “You are either incredible brazen or incredibly foolish, the lot of you†she stepped around the large man coming into view of the others in the alley. “By the looks of things I would suggest the latter†she said as she plucked the mace out of the balding mans large hand. Evaida turned to the trainee who still had his weapon raised “Put that thing away, you could take someone’s eye out†before walking over to the thieves. Taking the knife from the first and the wallet from the second and retuning it to the trainee.

She noticed crimson patch growing on the trainee’s side “Oh dear, we can not have you wandering around like a gutted fish†she took his head in her hands Healing the shallow cut, it was only minor but best not left unattended. Occasionally people in the main street would glance down the alley then quicken their step and those that did not only stayed long enough to realise there was an Aes Sedai involved. Moments later a group of Tower Guards entered the alley much to Eva’s relief. The whole situation unsettled her – not that she let it show – what was the world coming to? That even the streets of Tar Valon were not safe.

Once the three men were safely in custody Eva turned her attention back to the trainee. The boy stood almost a whole head taller than her, well built with piercing green eyes. “You are a Tower trainee unless I am mistaken†she spoke with a hint of question, it had been while since she had last visited the yards and his was a face she did not recognise. “I am Evaida Sedai of the Gray Ajah. This was certainly not what I thought I would be doing when I woke up this morningâ€

And miraculously for Mors, that blow did not come. In fact, it stopped mid-air. Astonished for a moment, Mors quickly realized what had happened. The One Power had been used. Since it was Tar Valon, it was highly unlikely that an Asha’man would be here, but the thought was enough to make Mors skin quiver slightly in a desire to crawl. Not with disgust, but fear, plain and simple. Men who could rip him limb from limb without recourse while losing their minds... not something anyone realy wants to think about. It wasn’t a Novice or an Accepted, as he did not think they could use the Power unless ordered to do so. Which left one option left, which was confirmed as the ageless, yet still somewhat youthful countenance entered his sight. Light! He thought to himself, Are all Aes Sedai so bloody beautiful? First Lavinya, now this woman...

As soon as she began speaking and he realised he was entirely safe, he sheathed his blade. In doing so, his side twinged, more blood spurting out slightly, as he’d moved in a way not pleasant for a torn open side. As he was doing so, he almost missed her telling him to put his blade away. Grimacing, Mors attempted to hide his injury, not wanting to waste the Aes Sedai’s time further. However, as many Aes Sedai did, this one had excellent sight, and intuition to boot. As she handed him his wallet, he accepted it, wiping the blood from his cheek and chin. He did feel quite inadequate. This was certainly not how he had hoped to appear before any Aes Sedai. Saved from a battle by an Aes Sedai, the people he was sworn to protect. This role reversal made Mors feel a bit inadequate, though he graciously accepted his wallet. However, before he could say his thanks, the Woman spoke again.

“Oh dear, we can not have you wandering around like a gutted fish.â€

Her words stung like salt in the wound, even as she used the Power to heal him. Shivering as his cheeks flushed, he felt hot yet cold almost simultaneously. This was, after all, his first Healing, and it was something he entirely did not expect... of course, he’d heard rumours and stories... but as an educated youth, he avoided hearsay and tales as much as he could. His cheeks now not only flushed with the Healing, but with his own embarrassment, he felt a sudden pang of hunger strike him, as well as a wave of fatigue. Suppressing this in his speech, he attempted to speak honestly while not uncovering the truth.

“I am Mors Sicarius, Evaida Sedai,†he replied with a deep bow, his side still sore, but more because Mors thought it should than any actual discomfort, “I owe you my life... but I must ask that you forgive my failure... I have no excuse for such poor performance in this incident...â€

It was interesting to watch the trainee’s reaction to all that had happened. Some would have burled off blowing steam trying to save what scraps of their pride they had left, others may have politely excused themselves with as much dignity as they could muster, fewer still would act similarly to this trainee. He apologised, of all things the boy apologised much to Eva’s astonishment. Humility was a rare thing in trainees, a lesson that was often learnt the hard way, Mors was different and Evaida could not quite pin point what it was.

“I would hardly say you failed, bit off a little more than you could chew maybe, but not failed†she said with a smile “Now Mors, you must be famished, I know an excellent Inn just around the corner, that is of course if you do not have somewhere more important to beâ€. It was a well known fact that Healing took a lot out of you and hunger was a side effect of it. Eva could have just sent him on his way with orders to go straight to the kitchen but there was something about Mors that intrigued her, something that she hoped a decent meal and a drink or two might shed some light on.

When she offered him solace, he rejected it within his mind, knowing he had failed for fact. However, he did not wish to offend the Aes Sedai, as she had indeed saved his life, and so he outwardly agreed.

“Now Mors, you must be famished, I know an excellent Inn just around the corner, that is of course if you do not have somewhere more important to be†came the voice from her smiling face.

Light was she beautiful... But Mors made no indication of this, and merely took caution, not all smiles are ones that meant good things for both sides. However, his stomach growled lightly, as he had skipped his last meal, and had just been bleeding and involved in combat, however little. Nodding, he bowed slightly again.

“You honor me, Evaida Sedai. I accept your generous offer.†Was his reply, deeply appreciative. Aes Sedai did not frequently offer a meal and company to a Trainee, at least not without strings attached. But Mors had a feeling there were less strings here than usual. Smiling, he was not sure precisely how to proceed. Did he take her arm? No... that would imply courtship, would it not? Hmm... should he let her lead? He did not know, and so he stood there like a sheepherder...

“You honor me, Evaida Sedai. I accept your generous offer.â€

The pair of them must have looked rather odd and if anything quite suspicious standing in the alley. Though the day was still young the air was starting to warm up, Eva preferred the milder climates and the sea breezes of the coast but had adjusted to the extremes that came with living in Tar Valon. Still she sought the cool of the inn and a cup of chilled wine.

“Very well†Eva looked at Mors standing there rather unsure of himself, “Follow me†she could remember a time when she was young and impressionable, it made her wonder whether the boy really knew what he had gotten himself into, or any trainee for that matter. The White Tower was not a place for the faint hearted, then again Mors seemed to be anything but faint hearted - naive perhaps. It was an environment that forced you to learn quickly, and weeded out anyone not fully committed. Eva doubted Mors would still be there if he could not handle it.

Back in the main street everything appeared to be normal, as if nothing had happened, it never ceased to amaze Eva how people could ignore such goings on. Of the hundreds of people that had walked past while the thieves surrounded the trainee very few had paid attention. Making it all the more clear that the days of The Last Battle were drawing near – the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Stepping into the Fox and Hound was like stepping into a cool room. It was dark and it took Evaida’s eyes a few moments to adjust. The common room of the Fox and Hound was like that of any other inn except for the tall greying woman that stood at the back of the room over seeing it all. Mistress Margaret was no stranger to White Tower patronage, being one of the nicer Inns between the Tower and the North Harbour, it was a popular spot to sit down for some fine wine and a hearty meal between comings and goings. Eva had discovered it on one of her ‘hunting’ trips, it was always peaceful and a convenient place to meet horse dealers to discuss business.

Evaida bowed her head to the Inn keeper who returned her courtesy, and found a table not far from the kitchen. The tantalising aromas of cooking drifted out whenever the swing door opened as the serving girls rushed in and out. It was not long before one of the girls stopped to take their order.

Once the young lady scurried off towards the kitchen Eva spoke up “So Mors, how long have you been at the yards? Are they treating you well and working you hard?†that was pretty much a given, despite the fact that trainees were not worked nearly as hard as novices or accepteds, but it was a good place to start without being too intrusive.

He had hoped his indecision here would not reflect on him in any negative light, however he followed Evaida at the Aes Sedai’s behest. He must have been quite a sight, walking in torn dirty clothing in tow of a lovely, well dressed, regal Aes Sedai. A pauper being led directly by his queen, one might draw the inference. His stomach rumbling, Mors said nothing regarding his hunger. It would be dealt with soon enough, and even if it wouldn’t, it would be rude to complain to an Aes Sedai.

Being led inside, Mors again noted how out of place he looked. However, his present company overrode any real objections by anyone. Aes Sedai were like an organization of Queens. No one denied an Aes Sedai... at least not without dire cause. As they reached their table, Mors quickly moved to pull Evaida’s seat out for her, inviting her to sit. After he gently pushed her in, he took his own seat, letting his muscles relax a bit.

“So Mors, how long have you been at the yards? Are they treating you well and working you hard?†Queried his benefactor, and Mors chuckled lightly.

“Indeed, but not half so hard as I work myself, Evaida Sedai. Master Orion is an excellent Mentor, but he cannot spend the time with me I require to become fully prepared for the trials that will await me on the day I become a Warder. A day I am certain will pass, though I am uncertain when. I train about another 3 hours after Master Orion finishes with me, or anytime I find myself lazing about. However, I have given myself more time for recreation lately, as I was growing too weary to benefit the fullest from Master Orion’s teaching...†Came Mors’s reply, in an earnest and honest voice.

“Indeed, but not half so hard as I work myself, Evaida Sedai. Master Orion is an excellent Mentor, but he cannot spend the time with me I require to become fully prepared for the trials that will await me on the day I become a Warder. A day I am certain will pass, though I am uncertain when. I train about another 3 hours after Master Orion finishes with me, or anytime I find myself lazing about. However, I have given myself more time for recreation lately, as I was growing too weary to benefit the fullest from Master Orion’s teaching...â€

Eva raised an eyebrow at his reply – was the boy trying to impress her? He seemed honest enough, Mors was either extremely dedicated or a good liar, his sincere tone and her instinct suggested the former even though Evaida’s experience suggested the later. “With your work ethic I would think you would do well with your training†she considered him over her cup of wine, he was quite handsome and those eyes had a depth that reminded her of Morikan before their relationship turned sour. She had long since lost the romantic at heart she use to harbour, though she was no where hear as cold as some Sisters she had crossed paths with.

Visits to the yards were a rarity these days, there was always something that needed to be dealt with in the Tower, so she was glad of company other than that of side stepping Aes Sedai. “Tell me a little about yourself, where are you from? What do you do when you are not training?†she settled back and watched as the trainee answered more often than not you could learn more from how people reacted to a question than what they tell you. It was said that curiosity killed the cat but that never stopped Eva from digging a little deeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Mors truly hoped she did not take him for a liar or a fool. He realized after the words left his mouth that such uncharacteristic behavior was most certainly going to be disbelieved. However, taking back the truth would be lying, and would make him look a liar as well. And so he let his words stand. Listening to the query given from Evaida Sedai, Mors moved to reply.

“I was born and raised in a small Town outside of Cairhien. My mother was a former maid in Cairhien, my father a minor noble of Andor. I was born out of wedlock, and my father never knew of me. My mother raised me a Noble, taught me everything about being a great noble, yet neglected to tell me I held no noble claim anywhere. When I went on my seventeenth nameday to make my claim, I was physically removed from Caemlyn as a liar and a con artist. And so, rather than return to my mother, I chose to join the White Tower. I want to prove to those nobles how wrong they were when they tossed me aside. And that is why I will become a Warder someday.â€

He drifted off, looking to Evaida as his stomach protested again. He said nothing, however, not wishing to be ungrateful, and because he was curious about Evaida.

“If you would be so kind as to tell me a little of yourself as well, Evaida Sedai?â€

History and culture never ceased to interest Evaida and when Mors told of his curious background she listened intently. He seemed a very straightforward person and it was beginning to come to light why he reminded Eva so much of Morikan. Being raised with noble etiquette seemed to bring about a quiet arrogance if not blatant egotism, for those who possessed some self control it manifested itself as self-assuredness Mors seemed to be one of these, yet so did Morikan in the beginning. What scared her more, is that could have been her, had she not left Tear when she did she may very well have ended up like Mors’ mother… Alone with a child and with no verifiable noble claim. It made her all the more thankful she found her home in the White Tower.

â€â€¦ And that is why I will become a Warder someday.â€

For some reason that comment surprised her – she did not let it show of course. Perhaps it was her upbringing, none of the Tairen nobles wanted anything to do with the Tower let alone become a warder, then again Mors was not Tairen. Perhaps it was just that so very few trainees actually made it as a warder. His next question posed as a bigger surprise as very few were game enough to ask an Aes Sedai something personal. It did not bother her, she had little to hide and she was versed enough in Daes Daemar and the constrictions of the oaths to know what she could and couldn’t say and how to get around things without lying.

“There is not a lot to tell I am afraid. I have spent most of my life in the Tower before that I lived in Tear with my family. My father was a smithy, my mother a nurse maid and I have a younger sister.†Much of the time when you gave people enough facts they were less inclined to dig, the more illusive you were the greater their curiosity.

“These days I spend my time settling small claims and disputes, and of course there is always paperwork to be done. When I have a spare moment or two I am out here in the streets and markets soaking up the atmosphere, there is nothing like being amongst the people, I enjoy it almost as much as a gallop in an open field†she left it there as their meals arrived. After taking a few bites of her mint garnished roast beef and a sip of chilled wine Eva restarted the conversation “You say you want to be a warder, have you thought much about what you want to do once you achieve that goal?†Often trainees created romantic ideas about fighting trollocs and dark-friends and never fully realised how little of that they actually ended up doing. Particularly for those poached by brown and white ajahs or even some of the grays, spent a lot of their time escorting sisters across the country side or carting books with very little real combat involved. Although such tasks were a good test of dedication they often put trainees off being warders and staying Tower Guards instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed, giving facts often did put one off the scent... unless they knew that that was why so many facts were given. Such was Mors’s case. He knew she did not wish to say much, and so attempted to appease him with simple details. He did not fall for it, but he did let it appear he had. He owed Evaida much, and he held far too much respect for an Aes Sedai to pry into her private affairs and pester her. He listened to her words, intrigued. He didn’t hear much of Aes Sedai enjoying time amongst normal people. They were usually to busy with their own affairs to dabble in others... except of course in life threatenining situations. He smiled faintly at her remark about horseback riding.

“I haven’t ridden in quite sometime... I do believe Thor is still in the stables, unless someone stole him over the past few days.†He smiled faintly, remembering his riding lessons. Thor was always so obedient, and willing to work. Much like himself, some of the time. However, the few times Thor did get upset were always crazy.

There was a pause in the conversation as both ate and drank a bit, before Mors heard Evaida Sedai break the quiet.

“You say you want to be a warder, have you thought much about what you want to do once you achieve that goal?â€

He smiled faintly at such an obvious question. “To serve and protect my Aes Sedai, as any good Warder should. Though, I would like a chance to prove my worth as a noble and a warrior. But, my desire is not my goal, not entirely. If I prove myself to none other than my Sedai, my life should be worthwhile, for surely the confidence of an Aes Sedai is the confidence of a Queen.†Mors smiled again, wondering what the Aes Sedai would make of this.

“If I may be so bold, can I ask what drove you to leave the southlands and become an Aes Sedai? Avoiding persecution in Tear? Or maybe something far worse, yet seemingly not nearly so bad?†He knew she may very well get angry with him, but if that be the case, he’d take the full penalty she wished to divulge onto his person. After all, he owed her his life.

Mors was not to be taken for a fool that much was clear to Eva as the conversation continued. He may have been young but it seemed that his upbringing or his experiences had made him wiser than perhaps he gave himself credit for, it was either that or he had come across Aes Sedai many a time before today. His answer to her question was calculated almost as if rehearsed, the boy was a natural at the game of houses – not surprising for a Cairhienian. Such a high regard for Aes Sedai had become more familiar to Evaida but it was still strange to hear someone so fervent about them. Even being a Sister she regarded herself as a normal person certainly not a Queen, though she knew of some Sisters who would think of themselves in such a manner. The life of an Aes Sedai, as she saw it, was about sacrifice, you gave everything for the Tower forsaking all ties to your old life. With that came a certain sense of distance from the rest of the world but such sacrifice also brought about humility.

Evaida took a sip of wine and almost choked on it upon hearing Mors’ next question. The trainee was a lot more observant than she initially thought, her avoidance of the subject in her previous answer may not have gone unnoticed afterall. He was growing bold as meal wore on but it did not unnerve her as it may have in her younger years, it was actually a refreshing change from the roundabout questions most White Tower residents used to get answers, even if it was a little blunt.

“It is said that it was curiosity that killed the cat, Mors, best you keep that in mind for future conversations with Aes Sedai. Any other Sister would probably have you switched for such a question.†She paused with a raised eyebrow to emphasise her point, “I am not any other Sister however, so I will answer your question†she took a moment to collect her thoughts, on being raised she had let go of her past or at least tried. Her life in Tear had not been the easiest and there were certainly things she would rather forget, the thing that drove her from Tear being one of them. “I was not avoiding persecution, I did not even know I could channel until well after I had left let alone aspire to become an Aes Sedai. All this did not happen until weeks after I had packed the bare essentials and left my home in the darkest hours of the night.†It was difficult to think of that night, she had long since left that person behind, she had changed for the better – or at least she hoped so. “No, it wasn’t persecution or a search for adventure. It was a man, a noble to tell you the truth†Eva spoke as if it were nothing. She barely knew Mors, it was still a mystery to her as to why she was telling him this in the first place, so she was certainly not going to let on that there was more to the story. Sometimes she wondered if her experience with Morikan had somewhat darkened her perspective of high society, maybe that was why she had tried to avoid being associated with such people. One thing was for certain, when it came to men she kept them at arms length.

Fleeing a man, interesting... however, it would be wholly unwise to comment further... Mors thought to himself. Smiling to Evaida Sedai, he heard her response to his question, and her remark about the other Aes Sedai’s tolerance of such questions.

“Curiousity may have killed the cat, Evaida Sedai, but satisfaction brought it back. A switching is a small price to pay to know more of those I may eventually be serving, so as to be beter prepared to serve and to serve without difficulties due to misunderstanding.†Mors was quite earnest about his desire to serve his Aes Sedai, though he still had much training to do until that came through. However, he was still rather ignorant of how to deal with an Aes Sedai.

“If most Aes Sedai would switch a trainee for such words, both you and Lavinya Sedai must be unusual Aes Sedai. If that is the case, I believe I will work best with ‘unusual’ Aes Sedai.†Smiling he took another sip of his drink, and another bite of food.

The boy was pushing his luck and showing more of his true colours Eva suspected. He was wise enough to drop the issue of her leaving Tear, for that much she was thankful. It was interesting to see how truly fervent Mors was to serve Aes Sedai, the lengths he would go to and the risks he would take to be a good Warder, it was either that or he was just using it as an excuse to push the boundaries. Evaida found herself enjoying his company alot more than she thought she would - he was a challenge, and she never shied away from a challenge.

“If most Aes Sedai would be switched for such words, both you and Lavinya Sedai must be unusual Aes Sedai. If that is the case, I believe I will work best with ‘unusual’ Aes Sedai.†his smile was all she needed to know he was indeed talking about the same Lavinya as she knew.

Having spent many of her novice years and even some of her time as accepted with Lavinya she had grown to like the sometimes...perplexing woman. Her reputation around the Tower however left much to be desired, though it occured to Eva that her fellow gray actually thrived on it, she was Domani afterall.

"Interesting that you should mention Lavinya Sedai" Eva said with a wry smile, obviously her friends wyles had caught the trainee's attention, not an uncommon occurance in the warder's yards it seemed "A fellow Gray sister and not a woman to be taken lightly". She could only guess as to what happened between the two but when it came to Lavinya and men her assumptions were usually not far wrong.

"You must have seen some interesting things in your travels between Cairhein, Caemlyn and Tar Valon. Do you ever resent being stuck in the one place for such a long time?" she asked more out of interest than anything else. Eva wanted to see the world, experience the cultures and visit grand cities, she was young for an Aes Sedai and some may have considered her flighty. At the moment the only thing that was stopping her from leaving Tar Valon that day was the lack of a good horse and an escort.

"Interesting that you should mention Lavinya Sedai. A fellow Gray sister and not a woman to be taken lightly". Mors smiled faintly, remembering his past encounters.

"Evaida Sedai, no Aes Sedai is to be taken lightly, as you showed by incapacitating 3 men, at least two of whom were armed, without harming anyone, and with seemingly no effort. With such a display of power, none could take an Aes Sedai lightly." Was his simple reply to that. And to her question, he replied, "I actually did not see too much of extreme excitement. And of course I have moments where I resent being stuck... but you must remember, I grew up in a small village. I can wait to go abroad until my Aes Sedai needs me to, or on tasks throughout my training."

• 2 weeks later...

It was not a loss of interest in the conversation or the company that drew Eva's gaze to the other side of the room. She was listening to Mors but half of her attention was focused on two rather burly men sitting at a table in the opposite corner of the tap room. Evaida was observant by nature and had seen them walk in not long after Mors and she had sat down. The Fox and Hound was not a rough place but on occasion crewmen from the ships coming down river visited for a drink or two.

These two men seemed to be on good terms when they walked in but now their conversation was becoming quite heated. Eva could see the innkeeper watching on worriedly and when the argument escalated into a shouting match she decided it was time to step in.

"Will you excuse me for a moment" she said to Mors as she got up from her seat.

By the time she reached the table where the two men had been sitting they were about to come to blows

"Excuse me gentlemen what seems to be the problem" she asked politely but loud enough that the two men paused.

"It is his turn to buy a round but he refuses" the bald bearded man boomed

"Ya still be owing me from last night" the other retorted

"Perhaps if we all sit down we can sort this out calmly and rationally"

"I owe you nothing!" the bearded man yelled

"Oh yez yer do" the other slurred "Unless I be dreamin' that game of di last night"

"The di were weighted I tell you!" the bearded man replied

"How about you two just settle down" Evaida demanded but she was not heard.

The bearded man swung his mug at the other and Eva was just quick enough to duck and catch his hand in a strand of Air. In the commotion she did not see the second man take a swing...

edit: apologies, didn't realise it was totally whack when I posted, all fixed now :D

• 4 weeks later...

(Wasn't whacked when you posted, it was whack when I went to read it again... lol)

Mors had nodded, “Of course, Evaida Sedai.” In his most polite tone, though it was unlikely she heard him finish, as she was already gone. He had noticed the two men, but had not payed much attention to them... after all, he couldn’t neglect an Aes Sedai, could he? His attention now focused on the pair, as he heard their rough voices, Mors rose and discreetly approached the two, in order to intervene on Evaida’s behalf. When the first went to move, Mors was about ready to leap, and when he saw the second bottle on it’s way for the back of her head, Mors instinctively moved to defend her. Like a viper, his hand lashed at the other man’s, seizing it harshly as Mors’s free hand two fingers outwards, thrusting them into the man’s exposed throat. He gasped, stepping back, choking as he feel into a seat, unable to retaliate. Mors simply stood ready, hoping that was the end of the conflict...

• 2 months later...

There was a blur of motion and dull thump that came from behind Eva as she collected herself. She turned to find the other loud sailor gasping for breath with Mors standly calmly to the side. It did not take much to put two and two together. She took the mug from the first sailors hand before releasing her Air weave

"Perhaps you two gentleman will think twice next time before behaving in such a manner" Evaida spoke sharply and flashed her serpent ring to emphasise the point. Neither of the men said another word, their eyes darting from Eva to Mors and back again.

"Good" she turned on her heel headed for the door. The situation had unsettled her it was becoming more and more obvious that she still had alot to learn, at times she felt like a new born foal trying to gallop before she could walk.

Eva handed the inn-keeper a few crowns to cover the meal and with a curt nod continued out to the street.

She did not look back to see if Mors followed but she was not surprised when he appeared at her side, easily keeping stride.

"Thankyou" she said with a brief smile "I fear I may have had a very sore head had you not stepped in"

Mors, of course, watched silently as Evaida Sedai spoke, glaring daggers at the man who nearly struck her. How dare he attack an Aes Sedai, unintentionally or not? One should be on his best behaviour in the presence of such a person, yet their drunken stupor made them totally disregard such simple facts of life. As Evaida Sedai turned to leave, Mors waited a moment, making sure the two men did not do anything untoward, and then followed Evaida Sedai. After all, he had not yet thanked her for the meal, and for the conversation.

"Thankyou" she said with a brief smile "I fear I may have had a very sore head had you not stepped in"

Mors smiled faintly in return. He owed her far more than that, and he hoped she realized that. He wouldn't want to go his whole life owing it to someone who didn't know it was owed.

"Evaida Sedai, I must do that at least once more before I die. You saved me from two men, from two deaths. I don't doubt I'd have died in that fight, injured against three opponents, even had you restrained the third man, and left me to fight the two. As I said before, I owe you my life."

• 2 weeks later...

The streets had calmed down since they had entered the Inn. More time had passed than Eva had realised with the sun well past it's zenith making it's way back down to the horizon and casting long shadows. It was nice not to have to push through a crowd or yell over the din, a very serene time be in the city as it took on the golden hues of the impending dusk. The events of the day were running through Evaida’s head as they walked back to the Tower, over and over she considered how she may have done things differently. Every time she came back to the same thing, she could not always use Saidar to defend herself, had Mors not been there, things would have turned out very differently.

“Be careful what you say, this mind does not easily forget” Eva glanced at Mors sideways “I may hold you to that one day” she said with a wry smile.

When the Tower gates came into view she looked at them with a tinge of regret. It had been an interesting day with many lessons learnt and she had quite enjoyed Mors’ company. “Well young Mors I fear this is where we must part ways, my thanks again for your assistance at the Inn and for your company, with the few exceptions it has been a most pleasant day”