• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

From The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:

Page 130 in Scholastic paperback:

I'm still in a daze for the first part of Peeta's interview. He has the audience from the get-go, though; I can hear them laughing, shouting out. He plays up the baker's son thing, comparing the tributes to the breads from their districts. Then has a funny anecdote about the perils of the Capitol showers. "Tell me, do I still smell like roses?" he asks Caesar, and then there's a whole run where they take turns sniffing each other that brings down the house. I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home.

Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

"Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what's her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I've had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I'm pretty sure she didn't know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

"She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

"I don't know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

"So, here's what you do. You win, you go home. She can't turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.

"I don't think it's going to work out. Winning...won't help in my case," says Peeta.

"Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me."

From To Light a Candle by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory (book 2 of The Obsidian Trilogy):

Page 312, starting with the 4th paragraph, Tor Fantasy paperback.

"I don't think dragons sleep at all, except when they're bored," Idalia said seriously. She shivered, but Kellen could tell it wasn't from cold. "Thanks for getting me out of there. I mean it." She sipped her tea.

"You'd do the same for me. And Ancaladar did all the real work. All I had to do was follow him." He thought about asking Idalia about the odd way the healing had gone, and decided to wait. It didn't seem to be an urgent problem that needed to be dealt with right now. "He wants to come and live in Sentarshadeen with us."

"Well, that should give the gossips something new to talk about," Idalia said. "Though if every time you leave, you bring back another odd stray, they might decide to confine you to the valley from now on." She yawned, her eyelids drooping, and Kellen plucked the teacup from her hand as her fingers relaxed.

Edited by mmeeshal

From Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson:

Harper Trophy paperback...page...53. 3rd paragraph.

The hardest part of the plan to get Janice Avery was to plant the note. They sneaked into the building the next morning before the first bell. Leslie went several yards ahead so that if they were caught, no one would think they were together. Mr. Turner was death on boys and girls he caught sneaking around the halls together. She got to the door of the seventh-grade classroom and peeked in. Then she signaled for Jess to come ahead. The hairs prickled up his neck. Lord.

From A Rulebook for Arguments, Fourth Edition, by Anthony Weston:

Page 34, section 20, in multiple parts.

Work toward the most likely explanation

Since a variety of explanations for a correlation are usually possible, the challenge for a good correlation-based argument is to find the most likely explanation.

Continued:

First, fill in the connections. That is, spell out how each possible explanation could make sense.

NO:

Most of my open-minded friends are well read; most of my less open-minded friends are not. I conclude that reading leads to open-mindedness.

YES:

Most of my open-minded friends are well read; most of my less open-minded friends are not. It makes sense that the more you read, the more you encounter challenging new ideas, ideas that make you less insistent on your own. Reading also lifts you out of your daily world and shows you how different and many-sided life can be. Reading, therefore, leads to open-mindedness.

Continued:

Try to fill in the connections in this way not just for the explanation you favor, but also for alternative explanations. Consider for example the studies that correlate increased vitamin use with decreased health. One possible explanation is that vitamins actually worsen health, or anyway that some vitamins (or taking a lot of them) are bad for some people. It is also possible, though, that people who already are in bad or worsening health may be using more vitamins to get better. In fact, this alternative explanation seems, at least at first glance, equally or even more plausible.