DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapters End, Chapters Begin (Bennu's Arches)

Zentopia

"Bennu, are you going to eat at all this morning?" Rose Miland's cajoling voice cut into the Novice's distracted study of her latest discovery in the library, An Examination of the Battle of the Wine-soaked Piglet.

It was an odd little text about a minor bit that occurred in the Saldaean region during the War of the Hundred Years. Everyone was at everyone else's throat during that time, truly told – and this little battle proved that politics wasn't the only thing that could set off hostilities. Truly intriguing, to the point that Bennu was totally engrossed in it at the breakfast table. The other novices arranged around the table shook their heads and murmured to Rose to give it up and give over, before going back to their own meals.

All because a loose pig caused a vintner's horse to shy and overturn his latest delivery of malmsey! This is the most ridic –

"Bennu....Seriously. Your breakfast is getting cold, and there's only another half-hour till class!"

The Tairen looked over at her fellow novice, somewhat annoyed, as the story seemed to be getting to the good part just then. "I'm perfectly fine," she told Rose, putting the book down and waving her spoon at her for emphasis – but then her stomach growled quite audibly. One novice snickered. "...okay, maybe I'm not."

Rose smirked. "Put a marker in it and eat your porridge, Bennu. Honestly. Sometimes I think that's my only task as your roommate – making sure you don't die of hunger." She held Bennu to that, not taking her eyes off her until she obeyed.

Bennu gave her roommate a smile as she put the book aside dug into her now tepid porridge. They'd become friends about two years into novicehood, and when their previous roommates had both gone on to Accepted, they'd asked and been given permission by Valeri Sedai to room together. It had worked out to be for the best for both of them.

There was a slight commotion at the other end of the room; Rose nudged the Tairen. "Hey, Bennu?"

“Now what?" she muttered irritatedly. "I'm eating like you sa -"

"No, no! Look over there. It's Valeri Sedai." The brownhaired girl jerked her head in the direction of the older woman. "What's she doing up this early?"

"Uhm, because she can be?" Bennu shrugged, not understanding why Valeri Sedai would be associated with time to begin with. Every novice and Accepted knew there was never any time of the day or night that the Mistress of Novices could not - would not - discipline someone in need of it. That door was always open, and the appletree switches always ready. That didn't mean she wasn't curious about the Aes Sedai's intentions as well, but she kept eating. Slower now, though, so she wouldn't miss anything.

The room fell silent as Valeri made her way across it, all eyes following her, and a wave of whispers rose in her wake as she passed table after table. Clearly, she was looking for someone...

And found her. Catching Bennu's eye, she picked up her pace and angled right for her. Bennu's eyes grew wide. She nearly choked on the porridge that her throat suddenly refused to swallow. The whispers rose to a clearly audible buzz.

"Bennu!” Rose hissed. “What did you do?" All eyes at the table went to the darkskinned girl. One redheaded novice casually grabbed her plate and began to leave so as not to be within Valeri Sedai's blast radius. Always a wise strategy, particularly if you had nothing to do with whatever it was. Sometimes you'd get blamed just for being within two inches of the accused. Or twenty feet.

"Nothing!" The novice's mind raced as she went over the last few days. "There's not a thing I could have gotten in trouble f -" She stopped in mid protest, the entire table freezing as the click of heels announced Valeri Sedai's arrival. Somehow, Bennu managed to get the lump of porridge down her throat, and all the novices found other more interesting things to stare at rather than the one getting the weight of the Mistress of Novices' gaze that day.

"Bennu Abravanel," Valeri Sedai said after a brief pause. "Good morning."

Making one last prayer to the Light to absolve her of whatever she didn't remember doing, the novice took a breath and looked up. “Er, uhm, yes, good morning to you, Valeri Sedai." The words tumbled like a baby bird fresh out of the nest. "How may I assist?" That was always safe to ask.

"You have been called to take the test of Acceptance, child." A twitch of one side of her mouth could have been the beginnings of a smile. "Rise, and come quickly." With that, she turned to go.

Bennu nearly fainted dead away. She's serious, she thought, gazing at the Mistress. Aes Sedai can't lie. She got to her feet, somehow, her balance not feeling all too secure.

Gasps, both surprised and envious, rose from the Novices seated around her. An amused yet wistful look on her face, Rose gently pried the spoon out of Bennu's suddenly nerveless hands before she walked off with it too. "You heard her, Bennu," she said softly. "I'll take your book back to the room, no worries. Get going, and come back in that banded skirt!"

Edited by Chikara

Bennu followed the Mistress of Novices silently as she lead her through the twisting halls of the Tower. The first part of the way was familiar, sending them through the novice quarters and past the classrooms, where wide-eyed novices watched them pass, curtsying instinctively as the Aes Sedai went by. The few Accepted that were present, however, recognized the small procession of two for what it was, and nodded slowly to Bennu after making their own curtseys. A grim good luck, in a way, though they'd not recognize her as one of their own until she came back with a claim on the banded skirts.

Or maybe not at all. Bennu had heard the stories, and the lump of porridge in her gut turned to a brick worthy to add to the Shining Walls.

In time, their roundabout journey took them to a section of the Tower she'd never been in. Bennu hadn't even known it was there. It was a domed chamber where the ter'angreal made of three rounded silver arches stood, bounded off from the rest off the room in a silver ring. Teams of Aes Sedai, all shawled, sat in deep meditation at each arch. The room also held a table with chalices of silver filled with what appeared to be water. A redheaded sister, clad in her white shawl, stood behind the table, face impassive.

As they entered, Valeri Sedai placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, squeezing slightly to make sure the girl paid attention. "Bennu," she said softly, "there are two things that no woman hears until she enters this room. Once you begin, you must continue to the end. Refuse to go on, no matter your potential and you will be very kindly put out of the Tower with enough silver to support you a year, and you will never be allowed back."

Bennu nodded, eyes not leaving the arches across the room. She remembered hearing of one novice leaving a year ago after refusing to continue. Her roommate had wept for a good three days. Perhaps they had been pillow-friends, to have made her so distraught.

Valeri continued after she was sure that information had sunk in. "Second. To seek, to strive, is to know danger. You will know danger here. Some women have entered, and never come out. When the ter'angreal was allowed to grow quiet, they – were – not – there. And they were never seen again. If you will survive, you must be steadfast. Faltering leads to a failure."

This is your last chance, child. You may turn back now, and you will have only mark against you. Twice more will you be allowed to come here, and only at the third refusal will you be put out of the Tower. It is no shame to refuse. Many cannot do it their first time here. Now, you may speak."

Bennu nodded. There was no way she could ever turn back and shame her family. "I know there's no shame, but I will not refuse." She squared up, lifting her chin. "I'm ready." This does not mean that I'm not afraid, though.

Valeri Sedai gazed deep into her eyes for a brief moment, then nodded. She did not wish her well; instead she drew her forward to the table. And it began.

The white Aes Sedai regarded them both for a beat before asking, "Whom do you bring with you, Sister?"

Bennu mentally mouthed the words along with Valeri Sedai as the ritual began. In the last year, she'd practiced them over and over so often she could speak them in her sleep. The words hadn't changed in a thousand years.

Thank the Light the Mistress of Novices was calmer than her! "One who comes as a candidate for Acceptance, Sister."

"Is she ready?"

"She is ready to leave behind what she was, and, passing through her fears, gain Acceptance."

"Does she know her fears?"

Quite well catalogued, Bennu couldn't help but think.

"She has never faced them, but now is willing."

How nice that they didn't ask me about that, but....well.

"Then let her face what she fears."

The Mistress of Novices turned and looked at Bennu expectantly, face schooled to serenity as always.

Oh, right, my clothes... You had to be clad in the Light for this; she remembered that much from her readings. The Tairen started in on the buttons to her novice dress with trembling fingers, trying to slow down her breathing. She was actually going to do this. She was.

Actually, according to Rashi Sedai, a lot of the ancient rituals required EVERYONE to be clad in the....Light, stop woolgathering! Finally the last button was free, and Valeri Sedai took her to the first arch. No delay.

"The first time is for what was," she said, as they faced the softly glowing oval of white light. "The way back will come but once. Be steadfast."

"I will," she said, and moved into the arch.

One step later, Bennu stumbled. Hard.

Grabbing for purchase, her hand came up against a sturdy wooden wall. What the...? This wasn't he - She blinked as things around her came into view, and she found herself gazing at something all too familiar. Ah. Father's step up into his audience chamber got me again. I wish Mother would insist on either fixing that or covering that window – but father loves his sun! She rubbed her eyes. Blinds me every time and I'm never ready.

Her hands moved to smooth wrinkles from her silken gray skirts. Odd, for some reason I thought I was wearing white before I walked in here.

"Ah, poppet! are you all right?" Her father rose to his feet, reaching out to assist.

"I'm fine, father." She waved him back, hastened to the side of his chair and curtsied, smiling at his nickname for her. "I apologize for my lateness – I didn't mean to have all of you waiting on me."

"That's all right, my dear," he said, settling back, hand resting briefly on her head, then cheek, in benediction. "We could never start this family conversation without you." He jerked his chin in the direction of seating. "Go and join your brothers."

Inclining her head in acceptance, she moved away quickly, weaved through the small crowd of servants and attendants, and settled into one of the few empty chairs that were carefully arranged around the room. She patently pretended to ignore her the glare of her eldest brother, Aneurin, since Father had excused her tardiness, and smiled in welcome at the other two...who simply gave her nods. Honestly. They could be a bit more polite. No wonder I end up glad-handing in the library's receiving chamber. Inwardly, though, she wondered.. That was most certainly not a look of annoyance at her delaying the proceedings...what was this family meeting for, anyway?

She couldn't remember. That truly bothered her. She never came to a family meeting unprepared.

As she sank into the velvet cushion and began to turn her attention back to the family Head, she heard a whisper in her ear, faint, but intent. The way back will come but once.

Who said that? The novice blinked and turned – out of the corner of her eye there was a flash of silver. She frowned.

"Is something wrong, dear?" her mother asked, idly waving her fan to and fro in the somewhat stuffy room. The semiprecious jewels in her cap glinted as she tilted her head to gaze at her youngest querously.

That noble lady had a way of dragging you off any track you were on with just a quiet word. "N--no. Sorry." She blushed.

"No doubt, your mind is on your work." Her mother smiled warmly at her. "Admirable, but please focus on us now. Or rather, your father."

"Of course, mother." She composed her hands in her lap and gazed back in his direction.

Be steadfast.

Steadfast about what? If her head could clear, she could remember...

"Thank you, dear." Her father straightened up in his office chair and gave them all his most serious look. “Now, you know your mother and I have been closeted for the last few hours, considering the futures of our trust and thus, of you all. You all have been a credit to House Abravanel; all of you have done us proud. However. Although we will expect the assistance of all of you to take the House and Library into the future, only one can be head."

Oh. Oh my. He was going to do that today? Well, she supposed that Aneurin would want her office space, it had much more room...

The senior Abravanel's gaze turned towards his only daughter.

"We commend to you all the lady Bennu Abravanel, will become Head of the library when I step down in a year's time. Now begins her training."

Bennu's jaw dropped. Oh, Light, that was the reason for Aneurin's scowl of displeasure. That was the reason Father had said no to her request to apply to the Great Library – he'd been preparing her for this. The library. The house. I will head it. I...wait. Why am I...?

"If you will, rise, daughter," her mother said. Her father lifted the family seal from his lap. She hadn't seen that five seconds ago – what was wrong with her today?

She got to her feet on instinct. "Father, I --"

And that was when she saw the gleaming silver arch coalesce in the hallway.

The way back will come but once.

And then she remembered. I can't do this now. No. There's someplace else I must be. "I – I cannot. A moment please, father." Bennu turned away, walked out of the study, and headed down the hallway. The arch glowed, beckoning her onward. Just a few more feet.

"You cannot? Cannot what?" Aneurin snarled, seeing his chance. "See, father, I told you that I --" His voice was drowned out by the chatter and gasps of the servants present, waving and gesticulating in her direction.

"Quiet, Aneurin! Bennu Abravanel!” The family seal hit the floor with a metallic clang-thud, but she didn't dare look back. "Come to order right now!"

"Daughter! How dare you abandon your duty to the House and our charge?" She heard the swish-swish of her mother's heavy skirts as she too rose, calling her back.

The words stung. "But I'm not, Father, Mother. I just have more duties than to -"

Her foot entered the arch, and she was through before she could finish the thought.

The waterfall of cold water pouring over her head and shoulders brought her back to her senses. Shivering, she looked into the face of the redheaded Aes Sedai from earlier as she finished emptying the first silver goblet over her.

“You are washed clean of what sin you may have done and of those done against you. You are washed clean of what crime you may have committed, and of those committed against you. You come to us washed clean and pure, in heart and soul.”

Crimes - she shuddered, desperately fighting her chattering teeth. I suppose throwing everything over to be an Aes Sedai might be considered that in Tear. But it's not like --

As Valeri Sedai drew her further along, she murmured thoughtfully, "I gave it up, in there. I could have been family head had I been listening to my father when he said no years ago. If I'd wondered why he said no when I wanted to go to Cairhien...if I'd just realized..."

“Perhaps,” Valeri Sedai said, shaking her head as they walked together to the next arch. "Perhaps not. The arches do not necessarily show what truly would have been. They show...possibilities. I suppose you could call them those. What could have been, had things gone differently."

Aneurin would have hated me forever. The youngest supplanting the eldest. That would not have ended well. My other brothers would have taken his side, and.. She suppressed a shiver, remembering the hatred on his face. That was two fears faced. Being in charge, and abandoning the family. Well, he's got the spot now for sure. But...it would have been nice. What could I have done...?

But it was too late for that now. The next arch beckoned, and Bennu felt the channeling of the Aes Sedai surrounding it, humming through her every pore.

The next arch. It's what is. Who am I now? What was she possibly scared of now, here in the Tower?

Valeri Sedai announced, "The second arch is for what is. The way will come but once. Be steadfast."

Bennu drew herself up, took a breath, and entered, and the world went white once more.

Edited by Chikara

“Accepted Bennu Abravanel!”

The sharp, insistent voice made her jump and turn, banded skirts swirling – wait. Banded skirts? – and the book she'd been holding (ah, Flora of Andor) nearly dropped from her hands into the patch of carefully minded herbs at her feet. It was a lovely spring day, and the garden had been growing nicely, so she'd decided to take a stroll through the rows of plants.

“I, er, what – WHOA!” Bennu stuttered as she desperately juggled the book so it wouldn't hit the ground. Getting a stain or mark on the tome really would not impress her mentor in the Brown Ajah. She finally got control, pulling the tome safely to her chest. “I'm sorry, Aes Sedai--” she finally managed, dropping a curtsy. “ I mean, Norene Sedai,” she said after a beat, her vision clearing so she could recognize her. “How may I assist?”

Norene Sedai gazed long and hard at her, before she sighed and shook her head. “Light, child,” she began, hitching up her blue-fringed shawl in a clear display of annoyance. “They do say the Ajah picks you, not the other way round, but sometimes I do wonder...”

The way back will come but once... The still small voice drifted on the edges of her perception, then vanished the minute she tried to focus on it. What was that?

The blue Aes Sedai was staring at her again. One eyebrow went up.

The Accepted blinked, color flooding her cheeks in shame. “I'm sorry...What?” Light, I did it again.

“Never mind that, but I'll have you see the Mistress of Novices after we are done here, and explain that you have a serious attention problem,” the older woman grated. “Perhaps she'll be able to get you to take your head out of a book and remember to breathe!” The small gaggle of novices that the Aes Sedai had been shepherding giggled at Bennu's discomfiture, putting their heads together to whisper – but immediately went silent when the Blue turned and gave them a look They might wish to get used to those, they'd be seeing them a lot, no doubt...

But Bennu said nothing, merely curtsied again. “My apologies for my distraction, again, Norene Sedai...”

The Aes Sedai waved off the apology. “What's done is done. Now, attend, Accepted.”

“I hear and obey, Aes Sedai,” Bennu replied instinctively.

“Good.” She indicated the four girls behind her. “These are some of our newest Novices in the Tower,” Norene Sedai said. “From what I have been told, you hold promise in scholarship, but part and parcel of that is passing on what you have learned. So, I would like you to instruct these girls here in the basics of the Power. None of them are wilders, and none have Embraced the Source...as far as I know.” The Blue gave the girls another long look, and they gazed back, faces so innocent that butter would not have melted in their mouths. “You will teach them Embracing, and I will watch you until I am satisfied.”

Be steadfast.

Teaching? Already? But she hadn't been an Accepted all that long...The serpent ring on her finger seemed a palpable weight as she curtsied to Norene Sedai once more. “Thank you for the honor, Norene Sedai. I'll do my best not to disappoint you.”

“See that you don't, child. They are the future of the Tower, after all.”

“Yes, Aes Sedai.” Her heart skipped a beat as she beckoned the four novices forward, and the small class settled on the warm spring grass.“All right, let me hear your names, one by one.”

Under Norene Sedai's watchful eye, Bennu led the novices through the basic exercises. It had been so long since she'd been in their position, but really, they were so simple if you thought about them the right way. Carfully she watched, urging them to think of the rosebud, think of it opening...

Be steadfast.

Bennu scowled. WHAT was that, it was ruining her concentra -

A surge of saidar pulled her attention left, away from the voice.. Years of performing the rosebud exercise herself had made her attentive to the ebbs and flows of the Power, and she expected to feel the same off the novices, who were just learning to touch it. But this sensation....this was far too much!

“Wait. Minata, yes?” She focused on a pretty young Sea Folk girl, whose eyes were clenched shut in effort. “Ease up there, you're drawing too much. Stop -”

“No, miss, I can do this!”

And then it was too late. A scream rent the air, and novices ran shrieking as Minata burst into flame.

“LIGHT, NO!” Bennu lunged for the girl. Norene Sedai moved at the same time, and Bennu felt the first weaves of Water forming to douse the moaning novice. Five feet behind, the silver arch appeared.

Oh, Light, no! Don't make me choose, not right now. She had to help Minata, help her regain control. She couldn't let her teaching come to this! How did it go so wrong?

“Accepted! Assist me! NOW!”

“I...I can't!” Try as she might, all the flame...and Light, that smell made her sick. She staggered back as another surge of flame fought Norene's water.

“Help her, burn you, or I'll have your guts hung out to dry! You there, get a Yellow!” The novice ran.

And Bennu ran....right into the arch.

Again, the water brought her back. Crisp and cold, it flowed over Bennu, drenching her once more. “You are washed clean of false pride. You are washed clean of false ambition. You come to us washed clean, in heart and soul.”

Washed clean, yes, but she could still smell the smoke, smell Minata's skin burning to a crisp. And washed clean of thinking I know what I know. What I told her could have killed her. Do I even stand a chance of being a teacher? Can I be trusted with that responsibility?

There was a metallic ting as the Aes Sedai placed the goblet back on the table. Bennu blinked away drops of water and wiped her face with a hand.

“Are any of the possiblities real, Valeri Sedai?” she asked as they moved to the third and final arch. Please don't tell me I could fail someone like that.

“No one knows, child.”

“But novices have never come back. Do they stay, or...” What happened when the light faded in the arch? Did life go on in that little world, or was it extinguished as quickly as she could a candle with Air or Water?

“No one's been able to figure that out.” Even Valeri Sedai gave the arches another look. “If it does all end when the channeling stops, I hope the end comes quickly for whoever decides to stay. We may not know that 'til the end of time, though.”

Bennu nodded. If she made it through this, she would search out the novices to see if there was a girl named Minata. She wasn't sure if seeing her name would actually be a good thing or not, though...

No. I will not fail her if she is here. I won't. I cannot.

With one hand on her shoulder, Valeri spoke one final time. “The third time is for what will be. Be steadfast, for the way back will come but once.”

Nothing can be worse than what I just saw. What I just did. Nothing.

Bennu moved, and white swallowed everything.

Edited by Chikara

“Give it up, Bennu. It's over.”

The sharp tang of the sea filled Bennu's nose as she paused at the pier's edge to catch her breath, heart racing like a triphammer.

She was out of time, the Hall was out of time...The Black had moved faster than she ever expected. Thunder cracked, and rain poured down, making a mess out of her dark blue and bronze-spangled skirts and causing her brown fringed shawl to adhere to her back and shoulders like a second skin. She looked like a drowned cat, she knew, and probably worse off than one to boot. Oh, she knew the necessary weave to keep the rain off, but she had other things to concern herself with right now. First and foremost, staying alive. Especially now, since her Warder couldn't do it for her. Souvran...no, she couldn't think of that now.

First, the young Brown had to make it out of the city.

She could weep for him, later. Souvran died doing his duty to her; that was all he'd ever wanted, and Light bless him for it. Now she had to survive, for his sake and the Tower's. Bennu wiped a lock of soaked hair out of her eyes along with the burgeoning tears, straightened up, and gave the woman across the way a look that could have melted stone. Well, if not for the fact that she absolutely looked ludicrous right then.

Over them rose the mighty stone of Tear, the stronghold that had dominated her view of the city since Bennu was a child. It was said that it would never fall until the Dragon came. But now he had, and the Stone had fallen. Her home was now a study in chaos, as people – nobles and commoners alike – fled the region any way they could. By horse, by carriage, on foot...like her, right now.

At least I have this. She clutched the shoulderbag in a vise grip. Thankfully most of the ter'angreal had been moved out safely, and were on their way to the Tower under the direction of a likely Green and her four Warders. However, the key to those ter'angreal were with her – a large book where, over the last few years, her studies and observations had unlocked the use of a large number of them. Her talent for sussing out the purposes of the Power-wrought items had been something of a surprise, but most certainly not unwelcome in those days.

It hadn't been deemed wise to ship both the objects and the book together – safer by far to split them up. Of course, no one had expected the counterattack by the Dark to come so soon. And led by the Black Ajah! Light!

“How could you?” she asked the motionless woman standing across the way, who was not currently getting drenched in the downpour. From head to foot, the woman – who she recognized as Jenavira Sedai, formerly of the Blue – was absolutely in impeccable condition. “After all this time, all this work, how could you betray the Light now?”

“I don't care to explain my motives to you. Besides, there's no reason to. I have you. Give me the book, Bennu,” Jenavira said. “Hand it over, and I'll let you live. After all, your work will aid in the Dark Lord's ascension.”

“I'm sorry, I didn't hear that...” the woman said stonily, drawing herself up to her full height.

“Besides,” Jenavira went on, “I've sent ahead a message to the Amyrlin. She and thirteen sisters are going to be so happy to see you once you return. The trial should be...shall we say....spectacular. I'm afraid I won't be able to get a front row seat myself since I'll be busy, but...”

Pause. “I'm sorry? WHAT?” What is this insane woman going on about now?

“Oh, I'm sorry, Bennu, but you've been running too fast for me to tell you,” the blondhaired Black said with just a touch of venom in her dulcet tones.

“For good reason --” Bennu snapped back.

“Yes, yes.” Jenavira replied dismissively. “That shipment of ter'angreal you boxed up for delivery, and sent with that Green...what was her name... So many of them running around nowadays, they're like rats. Ah, yes – Torene? Already intercepted, and on its way to our side, for our use.”

Since Jenavira didn't say anything about capturing the Green, Bennu could already guess what happened. Oh, Torene, Bennu thought, soul saddened by the loss of the vibrant, determined young Aes Sedai. I hope you took a few of them with you before you went to the Light.

But Jenavira was still talking. “Did I mention that they still have all your seals on them? Your personal seal?”

The Tairen gasped, one hand going to her pocket. My personal seal? I sealed that crate with the seal of the Tower, not my.... Her eyes widened as she saw Jenavira waving a rather familiar cylindrical object. Oh, Light. Light, no, they didn't! They switched the seals! How did they break that weave without destroying the...?!

The Amyrlin is going to be absolutely shocked that you'd put your name so flaming clearly on the invoices and the directives to send it somewhere other than Tar Valon.” Jenavira's smile slowly grew at Bennu's obvious distress, and she dropped the seal back in her own pocket. “Shocked, I tell you. After all, you're such a practical person. So reasonable.”

Light, please. This cannot be happening. Not her life's work. Not all the studying she had done. It was not about to end like this, under accusations of betrayal!

Be steadfast, the voice in her ear told her.

Her spine turned to steel. No. I'm getting out of this some way. I can clear my name. I will not be stilled and die for something I didn't do! You are going to pay for this, Jenavira. I swear it. For this, and Torene, and...

“Now, Bennu. About that satchel...”

“Not a chance.” If she didn't care to be polite and use the titles they'd earned, Bennu didn't much care to be polite to her, either. “This will be going back to the Tower,” she went on with a very determined smile of her own, hand never letting go of the satchel's strap. “And so will I. If you do not choose to desist, well....all I have to do is make one move, and neither of us walk away with this.” The last words dropped like stones in a pond.

The Black was taken aback. “You're serious.” Then she laughed. “You wouldn't dare.”

Bennu's eyes narrowed. “Didn't I swear the Three Oaths? I can't lie. Unlike you. Traitor.”

Jenavira's face contorted, and suddenly the Brown saw the massive net of threads the Black threw out heading for her. Trying to shield her.

I may not be as strong as you, but by the Light there's something I'm good at here. Weaving swiftly herself, Bennu began to slash those threads. But as quickly as she ended them, more surged forth.

Be steadfast. The way back will come but once. Once again, the doorway flickered into being – right off the edge of the pier over the sea. Bennu's jaw dropped. Oh, burn me! They HAVE to be kidding. There's no way I can – there's NO way...! I have to clear my name!

...more importantly, I can't let the Black Ajah have this!

She severed a narrow thread of Spirit, and one rather thick Water and Air braid that, if it'd connected, would have brought the waves up the pier and driven her off balance. She couldn't keep this up, she was too tired.

Light! What do I do?!?!?!

Instinct took over where reason did not.

Jenavira wove flows of Fire and Air at her. Bennu snapped the Air thread in two. As the remaining strand of Fire surged towards her, Bennu swung the satchel up, right in front of it. The leather, along with the book inside, immediately burst into flames. Five seconds later she shoved it away, hissing in pain as the fire singed her fingers.

The screech of rage from the Black Ajah member rang out above the roar of the waves. “You couldn't have just done what you did! You wouldn't.”

Bennu smirked. “Oh, you saw what I just did,” she replied, taking a few steps back down the pier towards the arch, which was starting to flicker and fade. “That's not to say it didn't hurt, losing all that work...”

“But you're a Brown,” Jenavira shrieked over the crash of waves. “You'd never destroy knowledge! That goes against all your Ajah is!"

“All that I am opposes what you are. I'd think that's quite enough.” Bennu shot back. The arch began to flicker, and with one last surge of energy, she ran off the pier and leaped through just as the Black fired one last gobbet of flame over her head. “And we can start all over again!”

“And HOW are you going to clear your name now? You're dead, Bennu Abravanel Aes Sedai! DEAD!”

What will be, will be, the young Tairen thought, before the light took her.

The burn sting still prickled her fingertips as Bennu tumbled back out of the third arch, and found herself surrounded by a rainbow of color. The novice squinted at the circle of Aes Sedai as her eyes readjusted themselves to the chamber's light. Except for the Mistress of Novices, still in the place she'd left her in, she didn't recognize a single one of the sisters there.

At the sight of the blue shawl around a darkhaired sister's shoulders, her gaze immediately fixed on the woman's face...and she visibly relaxed. The Blue noticed, and gave her the most curious look in response. Thank the Light. No, not Jenavira. Now, unlike the previous arch, she hoped the people she met didn't exist. She didn't know what she would do if she met Jenavira Sedai in the hallways of the Tower, or someone who resembled her. Run, scream, cry...

Light, she was so tired.

But it wasn't done yet; the last few active parts in her brain told her she needed to keep going. Not another arch; just a few more steps. Bennu staggered forward and knelt in front of the Amyrlin, who was cradling the last chalice of water in her hands.

The Amyrlin Seat emptied the final chalice over the novice's head.“You are washed clean of Bennu Abravanel of Tear,” she intoned in a clear, crisp voice. “You are washed clean of all ties that bind you to the world. You come to us washed clean in heart and soul. You are Bennu Abravanel, Accepted of the White Tower.

“You are sealed to us, now. Welcome, daughter.” The chalice was handed off to one of the waiting sisters, and she picked up a gleaming gold ring in the shape of a serpent biting its tail. In a smooth, practiced motion, she slipped it onto Bennu's finger, and urged her to rise. “Welcome, Daughter,” she said, kissing the unsteady young woman on her right cheek, then the other. “Welcome.”

“Thank you, Mother,” the new Accepted murmured, and started to don her new banded dress that the Mistress of Novices proffered. I've got a lot of work to do.

Edited by Chikara