DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A new power...

brown_hound

Thinking out loud en-masse is a wonderful thing.. Creator bless the forum!

The True Power is drawn directly from the DO.

What are everyone's thoughts on another power provided, and drawn directly from the Creator?

With all the 'yins' and 'yangs' to the series, there would be no surprise!

Speculate!

According to the Wheel of Time D20, which was reviewed and approved by RJ, the True Power is a form of the One Power that is drawn from the True Source directly into the DO's body.  It is corrupted by the Dark One's evil and can not be touched unless a person is linked to the DO like the forsaken are.  Once the link is broken, as it was with Ishmael in EOTW, a person can no longer tocuh the True power.

Whoa!  I've never heard this before, but it makes total sense.  On the other hand, are we sure (even though RJ approved it) that this is "canon?"

EDIT:  I just came across this in another post, and now I'm sure you are right, but I never knew this before and it really makes sense:

Week 9 Question: We've read in the Forsaken's POVs that channeling in the Pit of Doom would have some...unpleasant...effects. Is this related to the nature of the opposition of the One Power to the True Power or is it the Dark One consciously acting against the channeler? If so, why should the Dark One care?

Robert Jordan Answers:It is a matter of the Dark One consciously acting, though interactions between the One Power and him, the source of the True Power, can be unpredictable. The Dark One is not pleasant. He is also highly distrustful. He…dislikes…things that happen outside his control or not at his order. Call him the ur-control freak. Combine these two facts, and anyone channeling in the Pit of Doom without permission can expect swift punishment on the assumption that failure to ask permission means you intend to do something he won't like. It isn't that he believes anyone can harm him, just that he is in charge, and your failure to ask permission, your presumed intention to do something he wouldn't like, means that your faithfulness quotient has just suffered a severe downturn. Myself, I'd sell you short in a skinny minute.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html

This is a way cool revelation for me!  The TRUE POWER is just the DO's twisted version of the ONE POWER that he pulls from the True Source and then makes available to both men and women.  This certainly has to be important.  I always assumed that both the TP and the OP were completely separate from each other, and that the OP comes from the True Source, but the TP comes directly from the DO and he is the source of the TP.  This, however, clarifies that the TP also comes from the True Source, but then is twisted/changed by the DO and is only available if linked directly to him.

Very cool!

Well the OP and TP are seperate...,,

The OP is formed only after it is split into Saidin and Saidar.....

The TP is never split.....it is the power that the Aes Sedai who made the Bore were wanting to study.  Because they thought the could harness it not realizing what it truly was.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived