DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

X-COM and SYNDICATE reboots/remakes confirmed

Werthead

X-Com and its two sequels were classic, beloved games that people play to this very day because of their heady mix of isometric turn-based combat and the global strategic mode in which you could research new technologies to fight the alien menace. It was all great stuff (if unapologetically ripped from the 1970s Gerry Anderson TV series UFO, but there you go), and way, way ahead of its time.

X-Com is now returning. And of course, since the original game was beloved for being a careful, rational strategy title, the new version will be a first-person shooter (although it sounds like a strategic angle may be maintained, in some form, possibly cribbed from Rainbox Six or Ghost Recon).

Interesting. Could be fun. Will be nothing like the original though. One cause for hope is that it's being developed by the same people who did Bioshock 2, which was serviceable.

In related news, all-but-confirmation that Synidcate is also returning with a new game from Starbreeze Studios (the team behind the Riddick games and The Darkness). I have much higher hopes for this, as Starbreeze do good work.

Yeah, heard about this earlier. I've only dabbled in x-com so I don't really care. But if they mess Syndicate up I'm going to be pissed. F*ck FPS, ThirdPS, or consolifying it. Update the graphics, change around weapons and upgrades, add a new plot and missions and that's it.

Archived