DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

330K for virtual property...

Emperor

World records involving someone spending tons of cash on something ridiculous don’t come around nearly as frequently as I would like, and that’s why this latest world record news has me so damn happy. See, a guy named Buss “Erik” Lightyear recently set the record for the most expensive virtual item ever purchased when he threw down a whopping $330,000 for the Crystal Palace Space Station in the MMORPG Entropia Universe, Edge Online reports.

Upon winning the auction, Lightyear posted on the game’s forum, "I was really hoping to win this auction. I believe Crystal Palace can be amazing since it won’t just be owned by some investor, but instead a very active, and very old player who loves Entropia Universe."

Since Entropia features a thriving virtual economy in which virtual money can translate into actual cash, this purchase isn’t the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, since, as the game's creator, MindArk, pointed out, Lightyear will be able to generate solid money for himself if he manages the station responsibly.

This latest purchase breaks the previous record (also set within Entropia) of $100,000 spent for Club Neverdie – The Virtual Space Resort and Nightclub.

*currently sitting in his Bank Managers desk at work*

Catagorically, No.

I can picture it now...

"Yeah, uh, Hi, uh, I need like, a loan for like, this space station?"

"You are buying the international space station?"

"No, its like, in this game that I play. I can make real money from it"

"It's a rental property? Investment? Wait did you say it's in a game?"

"Yeah, Entropia Universe it's called"

"Get out of my office."

You're going to have all sorts of issues with title deeds and zoning laws. I'm not even going to try to picture doing a property valuation or property report on it...  :P

Archived