DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats so good about the Lotr?

Braus

Yeah well exactly. I'm pretty humble in my opinions really, even though they get very disorganized sometimes :P, i know i like RJ but i never say hes better than say Patrick Obrian, who write another kind of books which ive really enjoyed, or worse.

Just get frustrated when people bash down on him while comparing to others >.< since i got no ammo really to defend him when say a person who love Tolkien says that RJ sucks because of that and that. My answers would most proberly be "i dont agree" again and again.

*lol*  I usually try to ignore people who say things that way. Talk to me intelligently about someone's writing and I'll answer. Otherwise, forget it. Because usually it's a waste of time trying to talk to someone who phrases their criticism in those kinds of terms.  ;)  ;D 

• 3 weeks later...

I loved The Hobbit immediately.  It was very entertaining.  I started LotR soon after and couldn't get past the first 50-100 pages.  I remember complaining about endless description of grassy hills and the ridiculous Tom Bombadil (thank God the movies left him out).  I tried LotR again a year or two later, knowing what I was getting into.  It seemed like throughout The Fellowship of the Ring I would read 50 non-exciting (not necessarily boring) pages and then read like 10 pages that were absolutely riveting.  Those 10 pages were always worth the wait.  Tolkien had me hooked.  The Two Towers I remember I read while I was at Cape Cod (also where I read books 7 and 8 of WoT a few years later :D).  I couldn't put The Two Towers down; it was ridiculously riveting.  Even the parts that were boring in the extremely good movie were exciting.  I remember being surprised at eagerly reading passages about hobbits (I don't really care for hobbits).  The Return of the King was a terrific culmination of the saga.  I always tell people that if they can get through the first half of Fellowship it's totally worth it.  I have The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin and have already attempted reading the Silmarillion twice.  I didn't make it either time, but I'm confident that it too will be worth the effort.  I can't decide whether I like WoT or LotR better tbh.  WoT is so gloriously long and entertaining, but LotR was the first fantasy novel I ever read and once I finished it it had me hooked on the genre (also you have to give Tolkien props for pretty much creating high fantasy).

Archived