DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Has anyone read Steven Erikson or Jennifer Fallon

Guest dragonsworn1991

I've read Gardens of the Moon, first book of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.  I liked it, and have heard it only gets better after the second book.  Style is diff from WoT though.  The chapters are long and usually cover the space of years (if I remember correctly).  It's also pretty graphic in it's battle scenes.

Never heard of Jennifer Fallon, though.

I've not read Fallon, but I've read the entire Malazan: Book of the Fallen series, and I love it, Gardens of the Moon really drops you in the middle of everything and leaves you figuring out for yourself just what the hell is going on. Personally, my favourite books so far in the series (I've read them all) are Deadhouse Gates (the chain of dogs!) and the Bonehunters. The magic system seems unbalanced at first, with the magic users all being really powerful, however, it balances itself out as the series progresses.

Do read all the books in order though, that is important.

Ian Esslemont is the other author who writes in the Malazan world, both Erikson and Esslemont are old friends who spent years developing the world, including immense amounts of back story, before ever writing in it. I would recommend reading Esslemont's books in respect to Eriksons based on the years that they came out. If you go and read his too quickly you will probably end up spoiling bits of Erikson's series.

Yeah, well, Esselmont's first book (Night of Knives) should be arriving here in May of this year.  I'm hoping to read it as it is set before GotM, but has characters that appear it Bonehunters.  I've got the first four in paperback, and I'm thinking of getting them in HB, too, if I keep liking it.  HB just feels more like a real book to me.

Sorry, I babbled on a bit there...

Guest dragonsworn1991

Those are the gods you were talking about?

I was looking for a new series after WoT, I was planning on finishing my reread in a about four weeks then start sandersons series so I can get the feel for his writing before the aMoL books come out

Ascending isn't the same thing as becoming a god. It is the path there, and an Ascendant is only a short step away from being a god, but it is not in fact actually a god. An ascendant (Trake, whom you'll meet later is an prime example of this) can live for millenia before actually attaining godhood.

The system for it is awesome though, and the complexity of the magic is badass, I quite enjoy it. Its one of the things that draws me to the series actually.

Guest dragonsworn1991

So all gods are ascendants but not all ascendants are god. Kinda like the whole square and rectangle situation.

Guest dragonsworn1991

The weekend my cash is very low as of now.  :'(

I loaned my mom, brother, and aunt all that I have.

Archived