DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Shadow Waits (Finally Free Part 3)...(attn. Perivar)

Eqwina

Standing at her window on the Northern most side of the palace Kabria stared towards the direction of the Blight, her eyes transfixed. In the two days since they’d reached Fal Moran she done nothing but pace these rooms and study every old book about Aridhol the Librarian had been able to put in her hands. Even Perivar had taken to reading, if only for a lack of nothing better to do. When she was in a mood like this he wouldn’t leave her side, and as beautiful as he seemed to think she was even watching her pace could on sustain a man so long. Kabria could feel his eyes now, like a gentle caress on her soft skin, but the worry she felt through the bond negated all other emotions.

“I still know not a stitch more than I did two days ago. Whatever is infecting the city could be a single person tainted by the Shadow, a Black Ajah member, or a Dreadlord.” One possibility she feared to mention was the evil that had consumed Aridhol its self. The city was not closed off in anyway and while most were smart enough to pass by there could still be a few who were drawn by the legends of gold and treasure hidden within the damned cities walls. “I sent a letter back to the Tower, two in fact” She felt the surge of hope in the bond, but shook her head and kept staring out the window. “I did not request aid, any help would be too long in coming to be of any use. I sent pigeons asking questions of Sister’s more knowledgeable about this type of evil than myself. Still I am not sure we can sit idly by and await a response.”

There was a quiet knock on her door that gently rattled the beads. The woman that entered was not a servant as she expected, but a Lady.  “Good evening Kabria Sedai, Good evening Perivar Gaidin.” Her knee’s dipped in a curtsy and Kabria shook her head while the woman’s eyes were downcast. A Lady showing subservience to a maid’s daughter! Would her grandparents bow and scrape too?

“A message arrived in the coop for Darlan Sedai, but since she is not in residence I am bringing it to you.”  Handing over the note she dropped her knees one more time and left quickly. The biggest surprise upon arrival in Fal Moran was the King’s lack of an Aes Sedai. It seemed she’d simply left without explanation and had not returned. Examining the seal before breaking it Kabria gasped when she read its contents. 

“It’s seems our problem is not contained to just one village. This is from the Aes Sedai in Fal Dara, thank the Light she has not disappeared as well! Apparently a small village outside of Fal Dara has come down with the same ‘sickness’ as well. It would be a week gone they shut their gates and have refused to open them even for the soldiers. “

Handing the note over so Perivar could read it in full Kabria started to pace the same track she’d been wearing in the carpet for two days gone. “What if the same can be said of every major city in the Borderlands? A small village lost in the Shadow just to its South? The implications and possibilities are endless for someone who knew how to use what they had. It is too much to hope that whoever is behind this is a fool.”

Sitting down at the small writing desk she scribbled out three more notes and summoned a serving girl to see that they were sent out right away. They had been addressed to the three other Aes Sedai she knew in the capitals of Arafel, Saldaea, and Kandor. Staring at the serving girls back a terrible thought crept into her mind, what if her own family was caught in some Shadow’s trap? Or Perivar’s?  It wouldn’t be fair to give them any more attention than the others so Kabria closed her eyes and sent up a silent prayer to see their families safe. Never once did she think to mention herself.

“ I need to go speak to the King at once, this is not knowledge that can be kept from him. Perhaps his soldiers along with others from the Borderlands can provide the small army we will need to fight this.” Grabbing her shawl from the back of a chair she wrapped it around herself and became dignity personified. Dealing with royalty was new to her and her first meeting with the King had not gone well. She’d tried to ride roughshod over him like she did everyone else, and had managed to offend his pride. Kabria would go easier this time and try and curb her tongue.

“Perivar, I need you to start talking to local’s to find out what you can about the layout of the small village outside of Fal Dara and the one here. Any information you can gather will be more than we have now. Find out anything at all that can link the two villages to make them easy targets.” This kind of work was not his strong suit, but he would do what he must.

Perivar watched Kabria pace back and forth deep in thought or study portions of books for the better part of two days.  Seeing her like this had him on edge.  He would not leave her side so his only relief was to read whatever was to hand when he desperately wanted to do something physical.  If the room had been larger he would have pushed everything to the side and worked the forms while she thought on their little problem though that was not to be.  Better to wish that the problem they found in the village would fix itself.

“I still know not a stitch more than I did two days ago. Whatever is infecting the city could be a single person tainted by the Shadow, a Black Ajah member, or a Dreadlord.”   He sensed that there was more but he did not press her.  He felt relief as she mentioned sending letters to the Tar Valon.  Finally she had given in and requested aid.  His hopes were dashed as she went on to describe the contents of the letters. 

Perivar had no chance to object as a Lady entered dipping a curtsy to Kabria while offering her greeting.  Perivar smiled at the Lady as he felt the frustration through the bond.  Kabria was decidely uncomfortable with people bowing and scraping to her.  It was bad enough with servants, maids, and the like, but now she had a Lady doing it which was even worse in her eyes.  He watched Kabria as she took the note clearly studying it while the Lady made her departure.  Perivar murmured words of thanks then went back to studying Kabria.  Her gasp made his already large eyes go wide in consternation as she continued to read.

Kabria delivered the bad news then handed him the note so he could read it for himself.  Why she would hand it to him he did not know.  He would never doubt her word nor was he intelligent enough to discover more from the letter than she had.  Even so he dutifully read it while she spoke.  Clearly she was speaking her thoughts aloud for her own benefit and not his.  Suddenly she seemed to reach a decision.  In short order she had three hastily written letters in her hand and was summoning a servant to deliver them.

Kabria mentioned her intention to see the King again and picked up and donned her shawl.  Hopefully this second meeting went better.  The first time had not gone so well.  Kabria was so used to strongarming others into seeing her way though the King had not taken her approach well. 

“Perivar, I need you to start talking to local’s to find out what you can about the layout of the small village outside of Fal Dara and the one here. Any information you can gather will be more than we have now. Find out anything at all that can link the two villages to make them easy targets.”  It was like being punched in the gut, he hated leaving her side.  To make matters worse he had to go speak to men who clearly only tolerated him because he was tied to the White Tower.  There was bad blood between Sheinar and Arafel.  Without giving him a chance to object, Kabria glided from their rooms to have her audience with the King.

Hours later Perivar returned to their rooms more frustrated than when he left.  His encounter with the locals had been decidedly unpleasant.  Finally he had to rely on the soldiers for whta little bit on information that he was able to gather.  Kabria was deep in thought when he entered, he was not sure if that was good or bad.

Dropping his swordbelt and harness to the floor he looked at Kabria.  "I hope your audience went better than my encounter with the locals.  Most were stubborn as mules or reluctant to speak with an Arafellin no matter that I was attached to the White Tower."  It was not like him to complain but he was decidely lacking in social skills.  He would rather pummel someone than speak to them with kindness and respect that they did not deserve.  He purposely left out losing his cool and the threats of violence he had made in order to garner what little information he had aqcuired.  Even the soldiers had given him a hard time.

"I have the layouts of both villages."  He pulled the two rolled parchments from his coat with the hastily drawn layouts of the villages.  "They are very similar, all of the buildings are built with a dual purpose, both villages can be easily defended with lesser numbers." 

"Now for the good news.  As much as they have shut their gates and denied entrance to newcomers, they do send out raiding parties to attack merchant trains and capture necessary supplies.  If you have secured a detachment of Sheinaran lancers then I think I have a plan."  Perivar waited for her nod before continuing.

"First we will need a few wagons, three should suffice.  We take a small group of soldiers, no more than ten and dress them as merchant guards.  You my dear will be the lovely merchant.  We lure the raiding party out of the village then lead them on a chase where we will eventually ambush them with the remainder of the guards.  Once we have captured or killed the raiding party, we have the soldiers don the clothes of the raiders.  Then we return to the village led by the Sheinarans dressed as the raiders with the captured wagons in tow.  The fools in the village will be so elated with another successful raid that we should have enough time to surprise them and take control of the gate.  Once we control the gate the remainder of the Sheinaran soldiers can enter and occupy the village.  As soon as we gain control of the village we can begin to set things right."

Perivar waited as Kabria mulled over the plan that he had just laid out.  If he missed anything she was sure to notice and adjust the plan accordingly.  They would only be able to work on one vllage at a time.  It would be her decision which village to hit first, that is if she accepted his plan.

Kabria squared her shoulders and adjusted her shawl as she walked out of the King’s chamber. She’d not once raised her voice, even when the man had bowed to her, and she‘d had a disposition as sweet as honey. The poor old King had been so shocked by her sudden agreeable nature that Kabria could have had his crown if she’d  only put out her hand.  Instead she asked for a detachment of soldiers under her direction. Their Lord was to meet her in a few hours in her chambers to go over her plan.

Her plan It wasn’t until those words were spoken that she realized there was no plan. In the halls on the way back to her room she sent up a silent prayer that Perivar would rescue her once again. Finding their room still empty she took up her place by the window trying to think of a way to rescue both towns. If it worked here word could be sent to the others, and they could handle their own villages. That would save her and Perivar a trip as well as free up more time to rescue her lost Sister and visit family.

Feeling Perivar approach Kabria subconsciously adjusted her skirts over her hips and tugged at the neckline of her dress. When she realized what she’d done she shook her head in disgust. There were villages all along the Blight fallen to Shadow, two missing Aes Sedai, and her subconscious mind was still thinking about being beautiful in her Warder’s eyes. When there was time she would have to ask some of the older Sister’s if those feelings ever faded. "I hope your audience went better than my encounter with the locals.  Most were stubborn as mules or reluctant to speak with an Arafellin no matter that I was attached to the White Tower."

She could tell that there was more to say about the matter, but she let it rest. She knew his dislike for social interactions with anyone but her and she hated making him uncomfortable. "First we will need a few wagons, three should suffice…..” Kabria’s silk skirts swished as she began her slow circuit of the room again. It was nice of him to include her in the plan, so often he tried to make her take a back seat well out of harm’s way. “……….As soon as we gain control of the village we can begin to set things right."

“It’s a sound plan as far as I can see. It will have to be the village near Fal Dara, too many know our faces in the other.” Glancing in the stand mirror she sighed and shook her head. “I am afraid my unique appearance may be remarked no matter how plainly I dress, but there is something I can do for that.” Digging into her large wardrobe she pulled out the plainest dress she’d brought along with her. It covered her from neck to chin and would do to cover her tattoo’s, gloves would see to the rest. The next part she hated to do, but it was a small sacrifice to defeat the shadow. Taking out the scissors from her sewing kit she went back to the stand mirror. Not taking time to explain to Perivar she carefully cut the dyed red ends from her hair, sighing as they fell to the floor. The hair would grow back, but she still felt a tinge of regret seeing her wavy locks lying on the floor.

“The commander of our soldiers should be here soon. Help me change and then you can brief him on the plan. I would like to move today, I won’t leave those villages another day to the Dark One.”

And so it was that three hours later saw them in the saddle, or the driver’s seat as it were, on the road to Fal Dara. It was not a short ride, but that pace she set would see them their first thing in the morning. The commander of the soldiers sat in the seat next to her with the reins, a grim look of determination in his eyes. Perivar rode on her other side on his stallion, with a slight tension around his eyes. With the bond such a jumble she could not say if he was scared for her, or for the people stuck in their Light forsaken towns. Trying to comfort him wouldn't be any use, even if he could hear her at less than a shout. Hanging on to the side of the wagon with an iron grip she looked ahead towards the Blight, and towards fal Dara, where their personal battle with the Shadow would be.

Perivar nodded as she said it would have to be the village near Fal Dara mentioning how they would be easily remarked in other village.  In his haste to set things right he had overlooked the fact.  It had not been easy fleeing as they had.  Some would call it a tactical retreat though to Perivar it was as close to being a failure as made no difference. 

Perivar stared in disbelief as the dyed ends of Kabria's hair fell to the floor.  Why that should cause such a reaction he did not know.  Kabria would do anything for a cause yet she loved her hair.  He felt the loss through the bond yet the scissors did not slow a bit until it was finished.

Fortunately the Commander had been punctual though it was still nearly three hours before they were underway.  Perivar rode alongside the Kabria's wagon thinking on the task ahead, his fancloth cloak tucked away in his saddle bags.  Occasionally he glanced at the ten plainly dressed Shienarans in mismatched armor that had been chosen to act as the merchants guards.  He memorized each face for they were his responsibility.  If they failed to return home then the blame would lay at his feet.  It was something that had been ingrained in him by his father since he was a young child.

Occasionally Perivar dropped back to speak with the ten men impressing upon them the importance of their duty.  He made sure they knew their parts well.  He did not want any mishaps, not with Kabria being among them.  He could not even bear the thought.  The difficulty was making hardened Shienaran soldiers appear to be mere merchant guards.  They could not afford any mistakes.

The remainder of trip was uneventful though Perivar remained on edge.  When they reached the point were the ambush would take place the Commander stepped down from the wagon seat to be replaced by a veteran wagon driver.  Perivar would not risk Kabria's life to any but a seasoned driver.  The Commander began his preparations while Perivar and the ten Shienarans grouped around the wagons.  "You all know your parts, may the light illumine all of you for we must not fail."  He fixed each one of them with a look making sure his words sunk in.  He was no orator or Gleeman used to making grand speeches.  His words were plain and his tone was grim.

With all the formality he could muster he intoned "Kabria Sedai..." my love he whispered softly.  He wanted to smile though his face was stone.  Despite his face, trumpets should have been blaring and bells tolling wildly announcing the love he felt for her. "With your permission we will depart."  Even plainly dressed she looked more regal than a queen.  He waited for her command, it would be less than an hour before they were back at this spot springing the trap.

Adjusting her skirts Kabria took a deep breath and stood up on the wagon’s seat so she could get a better view of all the men and so they could see her. It was for them, and Perivar that her stomach turned summersaults. She never had care for her own health or survival, except for its tie to keeping her Warder whole. "Kabria Sedai..." Two words were all it took to make her knees weak and send a chill through her body. The fire he ignited within her burned not one whit less hot than the day they’d first began. "With your permission we will depart."

“A moment please.” Her voice didn’t carry farther than a few paces, but she still did not add ‘Light of my Heart’ as she’d so desperately wanted to. “I grew up reading stories of the courage of Borderland men, and hoping that one day I could have half their courage. You have already surpassed any story I ever read just by following me here today, and I am proud to ride with each and every one of you. I know that we will have a victory over the Light today, but for those that may give the ultimate sacrifice may the last embrace of the Mother welcome you home.”  She smiled widely, a look usually only reserved for Perivar and tried to memorize each face as her eyes met theirs. “Tai’Shar Shienar” She said quietly as she regained her seat.  Each and every man the King had chosen was battle hard and had likely seen more campaigns that she was years old, and yet for a few simple words they sat straighter in their saddles and had a renewed look of confidence.

“You may depart.” The plan was as simple as it could be. Their presence with the wagon was to lure the raiding party out of city. It shouldn’t be too hard, the trick would be holding off the ambush until they were out of sight of the walls. It was for that need that they had decided to come at the village via the North road. A quarter mile from the village wall the road curved around a low hill and for a full half a mile blocked the view from even the tallest tower. From there the real trick began once they had taken the village. Whatever they would have to fight would not go down easily, even with their plan foiled. The Dark One was not a lenient master and he was known to deal harshly with failure.

The Shienarian in the seat next to her sat stiffly, but every time she glanced his way he stiffened more. It was if her eyes were slowly turning him to stone. “If you get any tenser you may crack solider. Relax, all will be well. The wheel weaves as it wills, but I cannot think it means the Dark One to win this day.” His posture didn’t change a hair and Kabria shook her head. “I did not think you Borderlanders knew the meaning of fear?” Her voice held a tinge of venom, but it was the fear over those she wouldn’t be able to heal or help coming through, not anger at a simple solider. Ducking his head slightly the large man, with a scar than ran the length of his face muttered something she only half heard.  “Oh he did? Well you pay Perivar Gaidin no mind. It’ll not be your hide that is damaged, it will be his for thinking I need to be wrapped in swaddling.” Honestly! Thinking he needed to tell off a man to do nothing, but drive and guard her back, then threatening him to see her safe. Exasperating as he was, the thought for Perivar was still fond.

“It’s time.” Pulling up the hood of her plain gray woolen cloak she motioned the party to a slow meandering trot. Quicker than she’d expected the walls and barred gate of the village came into view. “Steady” she whispered as the horses pace picked up just a hair. As the long shadows from the walls touched the lead horse on her team the gates swung outward and men with mismatched swords and breastplates poured out from the gates set to surround them. The power flooded her in an instant and the blood pounding in her ears drown out any other sound. She held steady and didn’t strike out, even when a poorly swung sword narrowly missed her ear. With the dagger at her belt she slashed at any hands that came close to her or the reins. The experienced Shienarian driver had the wagon turned with very little damage and had them racing back down the road. Clinging on for dear life Kabria tried to see if all of her men had made it out. Jostled about she could only count and pray. The hill drew closer and the walls were dwindling and finally the power that was busting within her was released as flows of air knocked two of the horsemen back, careful not to harm the mounts.

Ciaos broke out and there was no more time to think. The dagger in her hands slashed as readily as clubs of air and bands of fire as she fought to keep them off her back.

Kabria's brief speech was inspiring, lifting the spirits of those proud men around him.  The battle hardened Shienarans all sat their saddles straighter and wore confidence like a suit of armor as a result of her words.  The Shienarans offered kind winds for Kabria in return assuring her that they would serve her faithfully and fight the shadow 'til their dying breath.  He was more proud of her at that moment than any other time that he could recall.

“You may depart.”  A simple command that would begin it all.  He rode to each of the men, the last of the preparations had been made and he was making sure that everyone knew their part.  “It’s time.” Kabria said lifting the hood of her cloak then motioning them to begin.  "Move out!" He shouted to the soldiers and the wagons lurched into action.  Perivar rode near the lead wagon, Kabria's wagon.  He should have known she would make her driver take the lead.  The only benefit was that it was her wagon that should turn first.  Should was the key word, he had given the wagon driver strict orders though he knew Kabria would discover what he had done.  Occasionally he checked on the men though there was little to do.  His job would be much more difficult when it all began.

Perivar grew more focused as they caught sight of the village.  Any moment and the gates would be swinging open to allow the raiding party at their prey.  As if his thought had been a signal flare the gates swung wide and the feral raiders poured out attempting to surround them.  The soldiers dutifully placed themselves between the wagons and the raiders though there were too few Shienarans to keep all of the raiders from reaching the wagons.  "Light and peace!"  He murmured a quick prayer to the creator to see Kabria and the Shienarans safe.  "Turn and ride hard!"  He shouted as he desperately tried to fend off the raiders assaulting the wagons.

Time grew so slow that Perivar felt like he was wading through molasses.  As soon as he fought off a raider another appeared alongside one of the three wagons trying to gain control of the reins or kill the driver.  Thank the Light that Kabria was still perched atop the bench of her wagon alongside the wagon driver who was whipping furiously at his team to get more speed from them.  Perivar's heart sank anytime a raider neared her wagon, he had seen her fighting courageously with her daggers not able to use the power in sight of the village.  His head whipped around, Light how many of the Shienarans under his command were dead?  The thought was distant, a product of the void though the weight he felt was real.  He would not push that away, he felt every last ounce of it.

Thankfully the hills drew closer, they needed to hold out a little longer before they could spring the trap.  The wagons crested the hill then barreled down into the valley with the raiders in hot pursuit.  A handful of Shienarans still harried the raiders buying more time.  Once into the valley the trees seemed to come alive, Shienarans thundered in from every direction to surround the raiders.  A few raiders tried to put up a fight but they were taken down hard with little remorse.  The Shienaran soldiers cursed their shadow stained countrymen.  There were beatings as well though bannermen quickly put an end to the rough treatment.  Perivar glared hatred at the raiders, he wanted to lay waste to all of them.  "Strip them of their arms and armor and place them under guard.  We ride in less than a quarter hour." Perivar shouted above the commotion.  The Commander set his men to their tasks, the thirty or so raiders were stripped of arms and armor to be replaced by the same number of Shienaran soldiers for the return back to the village.

Perivar made his way over to Kabria who was standing on top of the wagon seat surveying the men obviously calculating the losses.  "They are mine" he said to her when he stopped Nightdancer alongside the wagon.  Kabria looked down at him, clearly she thought the weight of responsibility was hers though it was not.  Their deaths lay on his shoulders.  It was his plan, he should should bear it, it was his duty.  "We lost a few soldiers and one wagon driver.  Fortunately the wagon team was so scared that they kept on running."  It was all said matter of factly, the Wheel weaves as it wills he thought.  He knew she wanted to jump down and see to the wounded though she could not.  There was much to be done and she needed her strength for the next phase.  "The men will be ready to ride shortly."  Perivar held his hand to his forehead to shield his eyes from the glare of the sun so he could judge the progress of the men taking the place of the raiders.       

Almost as soon as it began the ambush was over; all around men were groaning in pain and others wore the glazed expression of death. Shaking her head she praised the Light that their casualties were small and sent a prayer to all that were dead and dying. "They are mine"

Smiling fondly she lay and hand on Perivar’s cheek and gave him such a look of pity that he appeared taken back. He would take those deaths as his, but it was her work and what she was that had led them to this place. He may be the battle commander, but she was the queen of battles and the blood stained her hands. "We lost a few soldiers and one wagon driver.  Fortunately the wagon team was so scared that they kept on running." She nodded calmly, her eyes still surveying the field. Her hands itched to heal the wounded, but she couldn’t chance being tired when the real battle came. So she watched as men’s arms were set back in place and wounds were sewn with a clumsy hand. "The men will be ready to ride shortly."

“Yes, and I suppose we should be ready as well.” She accepted his hand in getting down from the driver’s seat, and again to be helped back up into the back of the wagon; posed as a prisoner to be brought to ‘justice’ in the Light forsaken village. Kabria shuddered to think what kind of justice a woman could expect in a place like that. For the thousandth time that day she sent up a prayer for all the women who had not escaped molestation and worst at the monsters hands. Perivar must have sensed her angst for he put a comforting arm around her, but never took his eyes from the preparations. He was nothing if not punctual and focused. Leaning back against the wagon Kabria tried to focus and formulate a plan, as the wheels turned in her mind the sounds of the wounded lessened in her ears. They were all counting on her to jump in and rescue them from whatever lay hidden in the dark places, but it was hard to make a plan when you were walking in blind, deaf, and ignorant of what you faced.  The weight of the wagon shifted as one of her newly dressed ‘raiders’ climbed back into the driver’s seat. Placing her hands behind her back she gripped them together as they would be if they were tired and tried to brace for the bumpy ride ahead.

As they jostled and bounced closer to the village Kabria closed her eyes and pictured a babbling brook, the water flowing slowly, bubbling over the rocks occasionally sending playful splashes up into the grass. The long green grass blowing ever so gently in the wind, accompanied only by the sound of the few fallen leaves as they dances across the plain.  When her icy blue eyes opened, all thoughts of the dead and worry over how they were to accomplish what they came to do faded and she even wore a small smile that she had to force away. When she’d been alone after Shenesta had dropped her on the docks the one thought that had gotten her through was that ‘the wheel weaves as it wills’ and ‘all are sheltered in the creators palm’. Today would end in favor of the Light…somehow.

The sun was beginning its sharp descent, only two hours until dark he thought as he ran alongside the wagon as it bounded towards the village.  Perivar's hands were bound with rope which was tied to the side of the overburdened wagon as were the others who had been the merchant guards.  He offered to replace the original guards though they had come to him asking to see it through.  He would not insult their honor and pride by denying them their request.  The ropes holding them were loose enough that they could pull free when needed. 

A chill was in the air matching his grim thoughts.  Thousands of outcomes were running through his head as he tried to formulate several plans to cover every possibility.  He could not fail, too much counted on their success.  Perivar looked up squinting into the sun.  Kabria sat in the bed of the wagon atop a crate obviously deep in thought.  Her hands were behind her back as if bound.  He did not like seeing her so even though he new she was no prisoner, still it was not something he liked to look upon.  He studied her for a moment wishing he could ease her mind though he was not sure how, not until it was over.

On and on they went growing nearer to the village.  Three wagons and a handful of prisoners escorted by thirty or so supposed raiders.  Perivar went back to his own thoughts trying to run the potential scenarios through his head again.  A quarter of an hour must have passed as they were now well within sight of the village.  When he looked up again Kabria seemed different.  The bond had changed as well, it was as if she were on an evening stroll not riding to possible disaster.  Perivar could not help but smile up at her...Light send that the Commander did not delay in coming to their aide, he was not so sure how long he could hold out.

The gates opened as they approached, the men on the ramparts hooted an hollared at the prospect of pillaging the wagons.  They filed in through the gates with the supposed raiders peeling off to each side of the gates.  The wagons came to a stop just inside the gates in a cloud dust making Perivar cough.  He may have looked a dejected prisoner though he was ready to move in the blink of an eye.  At anytime chaos could break out.  The Shienarans acting as raiders hurried to the prisoners leading them away from the wagons as the shadow cursed villagers rushed to pillage the wagons. 

Perivar let himself be led away, he was purposely kept near Kabria, she was the key.  All this would be for naught if she was not able to solve the riddle of what was making these people act so.  She was the key but they needed to gain control of the village first before she could solve the riddle.  The Commander would know they were inside now, the remainder of the Shienarans, a sight more than fifty would be rushing towards the village.  They had to hold out...

Perivar guessed it had been less than a quarter of an hour before a shout rang out from the rampart above the gate.  The villagers had been so focused on the plunder, the guards that were supposed to be facing outward were instead watching the commotion around the wagons.  The time for their ruse was up.  Ten Shienaran soldiers ran up the stairs on either side of the gate to secure it.  Once the village guards on the ramparts had been taken care of the Shienarans with their bows could wreak havoc on the villagers from the ramparts if it became necessary. 

Perivar, Kabria, and the remaining eighteen Shienarans formed a ring around the gates.  Perivar stayed by Kabria's side, he would keep her alive and allow her to draw on his strength.  The villagers faced them from twenty paces reluctant to charge.  Clearly they knew that death awaited many of them.  In the void Perivar could hear the thundering of hooves, it seemed distant though he knew they were close.  Not long now he thought, perhaps they could keep the villagers at a stalemate until the remainder of the Shienarans arrived. 

His hopes for a peaceful resolution ended when a tall thin man pushed through the villager with ten heavily armored companions.  The villagers backed away from the newcomers giving them a wide birth.  Those nearest the man and his band of ruffians were cowering.  The man shouted insults at Kabria, Perivar and the Shienarans then turned his back to them addressing the villagers.  Perivar took a step forward challenging the man to a duel.  If he could he stall their attack by fighting their leader one on one then victory would be theirs, unfortunately the man refused.

In mere moments their leader had them hooting and hollaring as he promised them more riches and fat plunder.  Their newfound leader shouted again and the villagers charged.  The first rank took only one step before twenty arrows poured into them from the ramparts above the gate.  Kabria began channeling and he felt for her, clearly she wanted to save the villagers not harm any of them but their lives were on the line.  The thundering was getting closer.  Hurry! Perivar thought then pushed it from his head as he readied himself to meet the charging villagers.  Hopefully Kabria had enough sense to step back when the charge came closer allowing him to shield her...the ten armored men were heading right for the middle where Kabria and Perivar stood. 

Kabria's arms raised...though something caught his attention to his left.  He turned his attention to the left as the villagers charge struck home but the Shienarans were holding.  Swathes were being cut in the ranks of the villagers by the battle hardened Shienaran soldiers.  Shrieks and shouts pierced the air to join the sound of metal on metal.  When he looked back the middle of the attackers line was in disarray.  Light what had he missed?  Whatever Kabria had done had made their middle falter.  Several of the armored men in the middle were staggering about in a daze or wrything on the ground.  Those in the vicinity that were unaffected by whatever weave she used cowered then fell to the ground begging for mercy.  The fight and determination that had raged in them earlier simply left them.  Light he had only looked away for a few moments and it was nearly over.  The light be thanked that it had gone their way, he certainly had little to do with their success.

The thundering was so loud now that the ground was shaking violently.  Perivar shouted for the ring to move forward, salvation was near, victory was at hand.  As they moved forward the Shienaran lancers poured in through the gates to either side of Kabria's men to surround the villagers.  The villagers dropped whatever weapons they had picked up and put their hands in the air realizing that the brief skirmish was over.  Every able bodied villager had been in the square so there was no doubt that any were roaming free.  Now it was time to solve the riddle and discover the source of the taint that affected the villagers.     

All would be well and all manner of things would be well, the Light willing. Her hands twitched when one of the Shinearians pulled her roughly from the wagon, but she kept her eyes downcast; hiding the confidence that burned within them. Staring at the paving stone she could see Perivar boots and longed to reach out to him. He was worried for her, more now than before. When they were well away from prying eyes she did step close enough to whisper words of love in his ear. 

No more than a quarter hour could have passed before their next struggle began. Running towards the gates she tried to face every direction at once. She wanted to save all of her men and villagers too. Saidar filled her until a pain crept into her temples and the ecstasy of it all became a sweet tingle of death. When the leader stepped out from the pack her hopes of a bloodless win soared until she heard the vile words he spouted at them. The tingling pain grew and on the brink of destruction , but still she only watched as Perivar tried to goad the man into a duel. It could have held their attention long enough, perhaps. When the fool refused Perivar shot a worried look at Kabria. But whether it was for the dangers of the crowd or the reflections of pain felt in the bond she wasn’t sure. As the flood of bodies descended upon them Kabria lashed out with air, striking in wide sweeps to knock the men from their feet. It pained her when she saw a woman’s face or that of a boy little more than a child, but still she struck out anywhere it looked as if the ranks needed help. Perivar stayed at her side only daring to dart forward for seconds to add his support where it was needed.

Suddenly a charge came that air alone couldn’t face and with a gut wrenching scream that was swallowed by the din Kabria delicately wove Fire with touches of Air and a wall of solid flame, as wide as her out flung arms,  that burned white hot rushed towards the armored men. At the same time she drew on her greatest strength, Earth, and sent showers of dirt and rock that pelted warriors and villagers alike. It only took seconds but seeing their comrades die rattled the rest and when the lancers poured through the gates all semblance of fighting ceased and silence hung in the air. Still there were small noises of the dead and dying, but an exhausted Kabria used all her strength to stand up straight. Fire was her weakest element and using it drained her until she could hardly stand. Perivar wrapped an arm around her to help support her and from once she was grateful for his public concern. “Captain, see to the wounded. I am sure there is a Wisdom in this mangle somewhere to lend assistance and confiscate anything that can be used as a weapon. I want these people kept unarmed and under eyes until I can figure out what’s happened here.”  Even with her now short blonde hair tangled, and dirt on her face she maintained dignity while she allowed Perivar to help her to the nearest house. Once inside with the doors shut and curtains drawn Kabria’s resolve fumbled and waivered and tears fell silently down her cheeks. These people needed her help and protection and her first act upon taking the village had been to burn its inhabitants to a crisp.

Wiping the tears away from her eyes forcefully she took deep breaths and tried to compose herself. She couldn’t fall apart now, not on the brink of success. When she turned back to Perivar her tears had stopped by lines marred her face where the tears had run tracks through the dirt. Silently he found her a wash basin and cloth, handing it to her without a word. No doubt he could feel her shame in the bond and didn’t want to shame her further. Borderlanders didn’t cry, at least in Kabria’s own mind so any mention of her tears surely would had started a war.

“Well, the village is ours, but I have to be honest when I say I don’t know where to go from here. If it is some object taken from Shadar Logoth it couldn’t have affected so many villages at once, which means it is a person, more than likely a channler. As much as I hate to assume that leaves very few options… It could be a Dreadlord, or Asha’man, or even Aes Sedai. I wouldn’t think the Forsaken would be so mild.” They were all facts and speculations that she’d voiced 100 times since they’d escaped the village in the night. “We could try and interview the whole town, but that could take days we do not have.”

An old quote she’d read a thousand times sprang into her mind. “Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain.” Kabria was avoiding the decision she had to make. Perhaps part of her had known since the first day, but she’d like to think she was not such a coward. “I know what we have to do Perivar. I need to rest but I know what we have to do.”

Taking a seat in one of the houses padded chairs she sunk back into it and closed her eyes. There would be more deaths before the day was over, but these deaths would be for the Light. The weight on the chair shifted and she opened her eyes to see Perivar perched on its arm, looking down at her with his eyes brimming with affection. “I never knew that doing what was just and right could be so hard.” She murmured against his hand pressed to her cheek. Talking quietly and a touch sadly she spun her plans for the poor villagers in the tiny town.

“If the Wisdom in the first is any indication, half this village may have been forced to swear to the Dark One. Paper thin shackles they may be, but the Dark One holds tight once he gains a minion. All it would take was a few people to plant the seeds, and a few more to be made examples of and suddenly the entire village would be lost. Repeat this process in enough places, enough times, and suddenly an entire nation is worshiping a Lord they did not choose. It is so simple and yet its planning took time. Whoever devised this plan was truly a genius at their craft.” Closing her eyes again Kabria drifted off to sleep, her dreams troubled by images of villagers engulfed in flame.

Perivar wrapped his arm around Kabria to support her as he surveyed the scene.  He could feel her exhaustion through the bond, he knew she was drawing on his strength though she never uttered a word.  She never would, not in public.  He could feel the Shienaran Soldier's eyes on her, most showed awe though a few held concern.  All knew that it was her presence alone that ensured their victory.

Despite her exhausted state Kabria still worried over the soldiers that had followed them to this village in service to the Light.  They had led them here though he knew she felt personally responsible for each and everyone of the soldiers.  He may have formulated the plan and issued some of the commands though the mantle of responsibility was her.  The soldier's efforts were in service to the light not to her specifically however she would not see it so.  Kabria bore the weight of duty as if she were the cause not the solution. 

Kabria could not be held accountable for the ways of the world, no more so than you could blame a farmer for a poor harvest though again she would not see it that way.  The world was at war with the Dark One and his minions, all those faithful to the Light would be called on to battle the forces of the Shadow when Tarmon Gaidon came.  Telling her any of that would do no good, it frustrated him for she would not see it so.  No amount of talk could convince her otherwise.  He wanted her to let him shoulder the weight but she would not, no amount of begging and pleading would change that.  She would lean on him when needed but she would not let him take full ownership of their cause.  As Aes Sedai, Kabria was the one who represented the White Tower, he was just her warder.  She would never word the latter that way but it was the cold hard truth.

Perivar began guiding her towards one of the nearby houses though she would not leave without issuing commands to see that the wounded were cared for.  The woman could barely stand yet she was concerned for others not for herself.  Despite her battle weary appearance she still managed to look regal.  It was an amazing feat given what he felt through the bond.  He knew her worry for the injured included those that had been injured by her own actions.  Perivar wished he could wash it all away from her or somehow carry the burden.

Once inside Kabria let her emotions free, it was as if the flood gates had opened.  Perivar steeled himself knowing she would need a shoulder to lean on.  It was not what he was best at but he tried to support her by not drawing attention to it.  No doubt she could feel the pride and love as bright as a noon day sun through bond but it would not wash away what she felt inside.  As much as his end of the bond would provide some certainty for her he knew it was not enough. 

True to form Kabria began to compose herself almost immediately.  After a few moments searching throughout the small house, Perivar returned with a wash basin and wash cloth.  He said not a single word as he set it down beside her.  As much as he wanted to speak to her or ease her mind, doing so would only bring more attention to it causing her more harm than good.  She needed to release it and move on.  It tore at his heart to see her so, using the void he steeled himself further, he was a rock, all emotion was distant.  He was not good with emotions though at times he let his guard down to show her his softer side.  This was not a time for him to be soft.

Perivar listened dutifully as Kabria voiced her thoughts aloud letting her reason it out herself.  Had he anything new to add he would have given voice to it though sadly he had nothing to offer.  It usually went this way when it came to matters of intellect.  Perivar understood weapons, battles, horses and the like though not much else beyond that.  He felt the lack of knowledge keenly and it shamed him to admit it.  He had been nobly born, had the best tutors that could be found and he squandered it all.  Like most Borderland boys he dreamed of battles and adventure caring little for his lessons.

“I know what we have to do Perivar. I need to rest but I know what we have to do.”  Kabria did not elaborate on what they needed to do, she would explain when she was ready.  He watched as she took a seat in one of the padded chairs and closed her eyes.  He made his way over to her wanting to be close by.  Sitting on the arm of the chair he caressed her face with his hand.  “I never knew that doing what was just and right could be so hard.”  The words hung in the air.  He thought of several sayings that could fit but he simply nodded.

Again he listened as she spoke.  Whatever they were up against was not going to go away easy.  He could sense their was much more to say though exhaustion won out.  Perivar brushed her pale golden hair from her face as she drifted off to sleep.  After a few minutes he left the house to see to a few things.  Finding a handful of guards nearby he gave them orders to stand guard over the house where Kabria was resting.  He made certain that they understood that she was not to be disturbed for anything.  Perhaps he was going overboard, none of his tasks would take him where he did not have a view of the house.

Perivar found the Shienaran commander and gave him several orders regarding the troops.  It seemed odd as the man was nearly twice his age.  First and most importantly he told him to have the men eat from their own rations and drink from their own waterskins.  Under no circumstances were they to take anything from the villagers.  He also told him rotate the men on guard duty so that none had any long term exposure to the residents.  Who new how this sickness could spread.  Perivar and the Shienaran spoke for roughly a quarter of an hour before he was convinced that everything was being taken care of.  It would not help for Kabria to wake and find things in disarray. 

It was a frustrated Perivar that returned to the house to remain with Kabria while she rested.  He made certain not to disturb her when he entered.  Sitting in one of the padded chairs he watched Kabria as he thought on a matter that was puzzling.  He checked every casualty and all of the prisoners yet the leader was unaccounted for.  How could the man have slipped away unnoticed.  He relaxed though kept a vigil over Kabria as he waited for her to wake.

Kabria’s eyelids fluttered and twitched as her dreams became more haunted, and as the guilt from all the innocent dead sunk into her subconscious. Killing dark friends and criminals was right and just in the Light, killing virtual slaves was abominable. Sometimes she whimpered or cried out, but most of the time she just slept the disturbing sleep of recovery.

It was the haunting image of a woman she’d had to burn in order to stop the soldiers that finally decided her time of wake. She bolted upright in the chair with a scream barely contained on her lips. Blinking several times to clear the image she fell back against the cushions and tried to clear her head. “How long did I sleep?”   Perivar only shook his head, as if to say it didn’t matter. “Everything was fine while you rested. The soldiers are doing as they should and almost all the villagers are accounted for.” 

Still half asleep and groggy from her abrupt change of state Kabria only nodded and pulled a comb from her pouch to attack the knots in her hair. Every time the comb reached the end of its stroke it stuttered as if looking for more hair. She was still not used to its shortened state. Not bothering to count to her hundred strokes she stopped as soon as her hair was passable. It wasn’t until she had rinsed her face and washed out her mouth that she really heard what Perivar said. “Did you say almost all the villagers.” Drying her hands on a scrap of towel she tossed it over the back of the chair. “Who is missing? That fact might be the key to solving this mystery.”

When she heard it was the mobs ring leader Kabria’s eyes brightened and for the first time since the fight had began she looked and felt hopeful. “I want to search his house.” With no more explanation she was out the door and into the throng of people, demanding in a cool calm to know where he’d lived. The villagers still scoffed and spit at her, but this time Kabria knew what to do. She wove an illusion, a ‘mirror of mists’ and suddenly appeared to grow to a height taller than the cities walls; only then did the frightened people yield the man’s home. Dropping the mask and releasing Saidar all together Kabria stalked up and streets until she found the two story house, with blue curtains in the window stuffed between a baker and an Inn. She hesitated at the front the door. With the village so tainted she felt unease and the dark one everywhere, but on this door step it was if the Dark one was breathing down her neck.

Perivar tried to move her aside so he could enter first, but she forestalled him. Embracing the source she checked carefully for hidden traps or weaves, but even after finding nothing she still pushed the door open with a thick cable of air. On first glance it was a city house like any other, with a tidy kitchen and wide wood planks throughout. The large table had the look of rough craftsmen ship, probably hand made by the owner of the house, but the rest of the furnishings were a fine quality.  They could have fit easily into a merchant’s house or a minor noble’s. How had a simple man come by such fancy things? “I will search upstairs, you search down here. Before you ask..I do not know what we are looking for, but I am sure I will know when I have found it.”

The stairs at the back of the room seemed sound, but she still tested them and the air before ascending to the second floor. The room above was even more lavish that the downstairs, with a marble fire place, and a hand-carved gilded bed. “You could not pay me to believe the man was innocent now.” She muttered to herself as she started opening drawers in dressers and desks. She searched under the mattress and behind the chest; she even cut into the down pillows. When the physical search was done she canvassed every inch of the room with Saidar. It wasn’t until she headed back for the stairs that she saw the trap door to the attic. Jumping up as high as she could she tried to reached the cord. It wasn’t until she had jumped three more times and caused Perivar to coming running to see what was wrong that she realized she could have easily used air.

With an exasperated sigh she wove air and the ladder slowly descended from the ceiling. She insisted again on going up first, pointing out that she could not only check for traps, but could provide light. With Perivar grumbling and muttering she went up first. When the small sphere of glowing light appeared above her palm she gasped at the array of trinkets and toys and most the disparaging clutter of odds and ends she’d ever see arrayed before her. More troubling still was the residue of Saidar that she felt in the room. Reaching out to touch a child’s doll she pulled her hand back when she saw a small lock of hair sewn to its hand. “I….Perivar..what is this?” Her voice was breathy and not far from shocked as she picked her way slowly through the clutter.  “Its…” She shook her head and bent to touch a small silver spoon laid haphazardly between a ceramic plate and a lace kerchief.

“What do you make of this Perivar?”