DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Arrivals and Departures

(OOC: Seyneru has come to be tested)

Seyneru walked past the walls, his grandmother Estean alongside him.  They recieved many curious and hostile stares for it seemed that woman were not commonly found in the Black Tower.  The level of hostility to female channelers was surprising.  Seyneru wondered how they would react when they found out that he had a sister, and two cousins who were Accepted of the White Tower.  Better, he thought, To keep it a secret unless you want their wrath to descend on your head.

"It would go much better for the both of us if we kept it a secret that I could have become Aes Sedai, and that you have 3 relatives who are well on their way do become Sisters."  muttered a serene voice in his ear.  Seyneru's eyes flicked towards Estean.  He shook his head in resignation, his black hair flying.

"You know,"  he said, with some edge in his voice.  "I would have expected them to be more accepting of female channelers, unlike Aes Sedai."  He said, glancing again at Estean, whose face saddened.  In the light of this hostility, it would be unlikely that Estean would be able to stay. 

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel weaves,"  said Estean sadly.  "And there is nothing we can to about it."

And so they waited.

Seyneru Yoshan

Gentle of the Five

Arath shuffled papers around his desk trying to sort through the daily mess.  A couple of days worth actually, since he had neglected this for a while.  He was half convinced that this was Brent's way of getting back at him, making him do all of this desk work.

A knock at the door drew his attention away from the organized chaos on his desk.  A dedicated poked his head in and announced that another recruit had just shown up wishing to be tested.  With a resigned sigh, Arath nodded for him to send the man in.  Testing could be a tedious process, but it was better than paperwork.  At least the daily recruiting parties hadn't come back yet.  He didn't know if he could take hours worth of testing today. 

Quickly tidying up the desk, Arath settled into his seat and waited.

OOC: Unless she's broadcasting the fact that she channels, or looking down her nose at everyone, there won't be that much hostility.  Women aren't that uncommon at the Farm.  Lots of wives and children and general civilians.

(OOC:  Estean will thus be hiding her channeling status from everyone except Seyneru.  She will reveal it when the time is ripe)

Seyneru and Estean walked through the door.  Estean had had a last minute conversation with Seyneru and it was decided that Estean would pretend to be Seyneru's sister, for Estean looked only about 10 years older than him.  It would not suit well for anyone to come to the conclusion that she could channel from the fact that channelers slowed in ageing, no matter what the gender.  And Estean looked nowhere near old enough to be his greatmother.  Anyone who had read the right book would be able to tell on the instant that either she was lying or she was a channeler.

Seyneru bowed deep to Arath Asha'man, who sat behind a desk and seemed harrassed.  Not surprising considering the amount of paperwork scattered around the desk and even on he floor in some areas.  Picking up the pieces of paper he handed them to Arath Asha'man.  Looking at Estean, who got the hidden message in his eyes and curtsied promptly, he turned back to Arath.

"My name is Seyneru Yoshan and this is my sister, Estean Yoshan."  It did seem odd, the first time one spoke it.  But as he started to speak on, the words seemed to become easier.  "I am here to see if I could be tested to become an Asha'man, a Guardian."  He emphasized the word "Guardian" enough to state that he knew some of the Old Tongue and knew what the word "Asha'man" thus meant.

Seyneru Yoshan

Gentle of the Five

Estean walked into the room, concious that she was staring right at a man who could channel.  She was hiding her distaste behind Aes Sedai serenity, though she was not Aes Sedai, she was adapt at Aes Sedai serenity.  She had thought at the last moment what they would think when they found out that she was Seyneru's grandmother.  She looked nowhere near old enough.  She had no wrinkles, or grey hair.  She might even look younger than Seyneru.  Anyone who was knowledgeable enough would be able to tell eventually that she was a female channeler.

So she tried not to shift uncomfortably when she heard Seyneru say  "My name is Seyneru Yoshan and this is my sister, Estean Yoshan."

Looking around at her surroundings, Estean took note of the load of paperwork that was on the table and the floor.  This man was obviously an important person in the Black Tower, judging from the amount of administrative work that he had to do.  He seemed to be as busy as a clerk, though he apparently did not have a clerk's love of clerical work since she could see tiredness and resignation in his eyes.

Estean Aravell

Wise of the Five

Aravell or Yoshan?  You choose.

He studied the pair for a moment, carefully considering the two.  He wasn't sure if he believed that Estean was a sister.  Recruits occasionaly brought wives or children, but bringing siblings was almost unheard of. 

Arath tried not to roll his eyes as the man in front of him ephasized the word 'guardian'.  A few men seemed to think that they were better than others, simply because they had some knowledge of what the word Asha'man meant.  If that was the case here, this Seyneru was in for a rude awakening.

"Well, lets get this over with shall we?  Were you tested before the Dedicated brought you to me?  If not, we'll do it now."  Seyneru shook his head.  "Very well."

Siezing Saidin, Arath motioned for Seyneru to take a set in front of the desk.  A quick channeling of fire, and a small flame danced in the air between them.  "I want you to focus on this flame, to the exclusion of everything else.  Stare straight into the heart of it, and we'll see if you can become one of us."

"Well, lets get this over with shall we?  Were you tested before the Dedicated brought you to me?  If not, we'll do it now."  Seyneru shook his head emphatically.  "Very well."  said Arath, in a tone that hinted that he would rather be doing other things right then.  Only the self-control that Estean had drilled into Seyneru managed to keep his face blank.  Estean's face certainly tightened slightly, although she managed not to show too much emotion as was wise.

Arath motioned for Seyneru to take a seat in front of his desk.  Seyneru felt something change around Arath, and suddenly a small flame was dancing between them.  Seyneru felt the warmth of the flame envelope his head.  "I want you to focus on this flame, to the exclusion of everything else.  Stare straight into the heart of it, and we'll see if you can become one of us."  Seyneru was aware of Estean looking over, interested despite herself.

Seyneru stared into the flame.  He was the flame.  He became the flame.  He distanced himself from everything around him and simply stared into the flame.  The flame was all.  The flame was everything.  The world seemed to quiet and bend in, to listen, to see what would happen...

And suddenly, something changed within Seyneru, as though he had just flipped open a section of his mind.  He could feel something that was creating the flame.  He could feel it, every particle of the flame.  He waited for Arath to respond.

Seyneru Yoshan

Gentle of the Five

Astonished

Arath watched the flame flicker between himself and Seyneru as he waited.  He wished that the testing didn't take so long.  It varied greatly between men, and how well they could focus, but generally took at least five minutes. 

As the minutes stretched out, Arath took note of the would-be-Soldier and his reactions.  Sweat was pouring down the other man's face as he stared into the flame, the reflection of which danced in his eyes.  He wasn't even blinking, except for when sweat threatened to drop into the eyes.  At least he knew how to focus.

It wasn't too much longer before he felt it.  The resonance that came from a man who could learn to channel.  Without show or preamble, Arath released the source and let the flame wink out of existance.  As he moved to the closet to pick out a suitable black coat, he gave the fateful news.  "Well, congratulations.  You can channel.  Or condolences, however you want to look at it.  Your first classes will be this afternoon.  You'll have a little time before then to acquaint yourself with the grounds and find yourself a bunk in the soldier barracks.  You might want to enjoy a hot meal at the inn too, since it might be your last for a while."  Finding a decent coat, he turned and tossed it to the newest member of the Black Tower.  "If you have any questions," he paused, considering Estean, "If either of you have any questions, now is the time for them."

• 3 weeks later...

"Well, congratulations.  You can channel.  Or condolences, however you want to look at it.  Your first classes will be this afternoon.  You'll have a little time before then to acquaint yourself with the grounds and find yourself a bunk in the soldier barracks.  You might want to enjoy a hot meal at the inn too, since it might be your last for a while."  Finding a decent coat, Arath turned and tossed it to him.  "If you have any questions," he paused, considering Estean, "If either of you have any questions, now is the time for them."

Taking the coat, Seyneru put it on over his other clothes.  It was not so bad.  Although it would be stifling hot in this permenant heat, it could be pretty comfortable if not for that.

Seyneru cleared his throat embarrassedly.  "Ummm...  Thank you Arath Asha'man.  But would my sister be allowed to stay in the Black Tower?  I mean, she is the only family member I have left who stayed beside me when I decided to go to the Black Tower."

Shifting his foot from side to side nervously, he stood to attention and waited for the Asha'man's answer.

Seyneru Kailadel

Strong of the Five

Hesistant