DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let's Learn about Saidin! (attn: Kura)

Talavin

Ze'el had to admit that he liked his new barracks a lot more than the old ones. The Soldier barracks weren't exactly the most comfortable of living spaces. They were small, and yet you still had to share them with another man, and you never knew who had been there before you. The furniture wasn't in the best of states because they had been used by many men, all of whom channeled the power for every chore. To make a long story short, Ze'el hardly liked the Soldier barracks. The Dedicated barracks... well they were a step up. Less people made it past Soldier level, many burning themselves out or giving into the taint, and those that did generally took better care of their belongings.

The thoughts about living space reminded him of his recent change of attire. Ze'el glanced down at silver sword-shaped pin on his collar. He had gotten the adornment only a few days ago, and he was glad for the raise. If he had to deal with that fool of a roommate for much longer... Ze'el smirked but didn't continue the thought. Apparently after Sheinar he had proved his worth, and so was promoted to Dedicated. His merry thoughts sobered a little when thinking of Sheinar. That battle had taught him his mortality, as well as his weakness. He had always known that he was weaker in the Power than many other men, but seeing the lightning bolts and other awesome weaves that the Asha'man wove was humbling. Even his fellow Soldiers and Dedicated wove better than him. However, the reason they were dead and he was not was his intelligence, and Ze'el intended to keep it that way.

Since the battle, Ze'el had been letting a little more of his true self show through the mask of Kassian. He found that it was much harder than acting purely innocent and cowardly like Kassian. He had years of experience being Kassian, and it was hard to moderate how much of his natural malevolence showed. Nevertheless, he was managing, and today he would have his first lesson as a Dedicated. He was conflicted, he knew that Dedicated learned stronger weaves, but at the same time he didn't really want to learn the massively destructive weaves that most Asha'men favored. He would rather learn weaves that were sneakier... stealthier, but he supposed that in open battle stealthy weaves didn't help you all that much. Wondering what exactly he would learn, Ze'el arrived at the place where he was supposed to meet his teacher.

Sereth walked to the training grounds with a bounce in his step, he loved teaching! TO instruct others was to impart knowledge, and that he knew was the key to bettering mankind. Even if this particular knowledge would most likely only be used for killing, the people who would be killed would undoubtedly hinder the growth of man, and by extension, limit the growth of knowledge. Something the self-proclaimed philosopher would never forgive them for.

To top it off, this student had intrigued him for the moment that he had met him before. Not to mention that the knowledge he had gained from the previous instructors, especially the lack of strength in the power that most men possessed provided the need for alternate methods of training, not to mention the need for alternative lessons.

As such, the Asha'man doubled timed it to the grounds. Finding Kassian, he smiled broadly. "Hello Kassian, I am Asha'man Sereth Arian, I believe we met once before. Your former teachers tell me that you are a bit weaker in the power, but with perhaps a touch of skill. As such, I have doubts that telling you how to channel earth and fire together, to literally tear the earth asunder in a flaming explosion guaranteed to roast any unfortunate beak-mawed trolloc into Sunday dinner would be quite useless." Sereth had his trademarked slanted goofy smile upon his lips, and his voice matched.

"Still, there are other ways to use the power, and you might be more suited to weeding out darkfriends from among our ranks, perhaps even duels with dreadlords. Though I posses little skill myself, I shall impart what little I know of a few subtler uses of the one power. Unless of course, you'd rather learn the previously mentioned sunday-dinner weave." He let out a chuckle, but it was a serious question. “Though of course, you will be expected to do your part in any major battle we encounter. Though I hear you are a survivor of Shienar, so I doubt that will be to much of an issue.” His eyes closed for a moment, obviously shaken by the memory, though he recovered quickly.

Now was the time for new lessons, not those previously learned.

Ze'el wondered what exactly he was getting himself into when his instructor came skipping down towards him. The man smiled broadly at him, and Ze'el managed a small smile in return. This man was unsettling, it was almost like the strange Asha'man was studying him like some sort of insect. When Sereth told him that they had met once before, he scrambled to try to remember the meeting. How had he acted? What had he said? Finally, he remembered back a couple months to meeting this man in the Inn. He certainly had a good memory to remember that meeting when Ze'el himself had to think about it.

He was a bit irritated as the man decided that he needed to flaunt his weakness. Maybe he couldn't weave impressive weaves that would tear the ground asunder, but he was smarter than most of the buffoons that occupied the Farm. He forced himself to return to apathy, and then listened to the rest of the man's speech. Apparently he was a tad bit more skilled than other men. He was perhaps a little bit more skilled than average, but he was by no means the most skilled man around. Still, the man did stroke his ego a little bit, and so Ze'el would work with him. The man didn't look like he was extremely concerned with physical activities, and judging by the odd way he spoke and acted, Ze'el would say that he was the scholarly type. He could work with that.

"I would prefer not to have to fight at all... I'd rather make peace with our enemies... but after Shienar I know that it's impossible. Those monsters... they..." Ze'el took a breath, feigning the need to regain composure. "They killed so many people, and didn't even blink when their own comrades died. I want to find a way to defend myself and my friends from those things," Ze'el said with conviction. Half of it was true: he did want to defend himself. "But to answer your question: you're right. I may be able to do some of them, but flashy weaves won't do me any good. I want to learn weaves that will get things done, and weaves that I can use, not the weaves that will needlessly rip apart the earth and tear people to shreds."

• 1 month later...

Sereth nodded, the man's innocent heart striking a familiar cord in the philosopher's own. Still, there was something odd about him... Ah, oh well. Who on the farm didn't have something to hide? "Then let's begin Kassian. The first weave I am going to show you is made of spirit, and admittedly won't be of much use in a large scale battle, however, it just might come in handy if you find yourself cornered by people you do not want to tear asunder. It is called, quite aptly, sleep." With the intro done, Sereth embraced the source, drawing only partially upon his strength in spirit, he didn't want to flaunt his far superior strength. He wove as deftly as he could, twisting the strands of spirit, "Just aim it at their head, and they will pass out, here, I'll demonstrate on some local wildlife." With that, he slammed the weave against a chipmunk sitting in a tree. Instantly it fell asleep, and Sereth wove air to stabilize the animal, with a small air club to wake it up without hurting it.

"Simple and effective, it might save your life some day. As you can tell, the weave is easily abused, but I do trust you won't use it to take advantage of a woman, or perhaps rob someone blind, would you?" Again he flashed him his award winning grin, and trying to hide his scrutinizing eyes with a happy gleam.

Ze'el's eyes flashed as he watched the demonstration. The uses of that weave... Doors that were previously closed and locked were now wide open. He had always told himself that he would find a way to use Saidin subtly in a way that didn't require large amounts of strength, but after so long of seeing only flashy weave after flashy weave, he had been beginning to loose hope. This weave though... its uses were limitless. While his opponent was expending his energy engulfing the world in infernos, he would be putting them to sleep harmlessly.

Ze'el got a hold of himself before Sereth turned around, returning his hungry and eager gaze to the familiar meek expression of Kassian. Still, he allowed some of his excitement to leak through. Ze'el had to suppress a cackle at the weave. Not only was it perfect for combat, but it also suited the peace-loving image of Kassian. The Asha'man that defeated people not by breaking their bones but by putting them in a harmless sleep. Unfortunately, it was easier said than done.

He was more than strong enough in Spirit for the weave (for it required almost no strength to weave), but it was very complicated. It was definitely the most complicated weave that Ze'el had ever attempted. He failed many times before he succeeded, and he could sense that the skill required to create the weave was at the very limits of his own skill. Still, he was able to do the weave (if barely) and practiced it until he could form it perfectly. Then, Ze'el began targeting small animals, watching as they collapsed harmlessly into a peaceful slumber.

Sereth chuckled at the glee his student felt at learning this weave. He thought he'd like it, it suited the gentle nature that he was told the boy had. He Sereth cleared his throat, bringing Kassian's attention back to him. "I'm glad you enjoy this weave Kassian, if it is a bit of a challenge for you yet, soon enough you'll grow so it hardly requires thought. I've got another wave I think you will like, another non-violent utility weave."

With that the philospher wove one of his own favorite weaves, one that he picked up on more by chance than anything else. Among the explosion crazed students of the tower, it was hardly ever seen. He wove all five elements in moderate quantities, still knowing that Kassian would struggle with it. The weave's effect was perhaps not so obvious, as a circle, half white, half black with a curving line separating the two appeared in the air. Kassian might reconize it as a unification of the dragon's fang and the flame of Tar Valon, but from his studies Sereth knew it as the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai, and now more commonly the Dragon's Banner.

The image filled him with mix emotions, as it always did. Sadness, at how far male channelers had fallen, yet a sense of joy that they were making their come back, and this ancient symbol was being flown once again. "An illusion, I am sure you can think of many, many uses for such a tactic. Try it out, it is a bit difficult, but I have confidence that with determination you can pull it off."

• 2 months later...

OOC: Ahaha... only three months wait... I'm horrible I know :P Anyway, Mat's sites are down, so that means no My One Power Weaves site. I'm just going to wing it and assume that it would be a really difficult weave for Kassian/Ze'el

IC: Ze'el could definately see the uses of the weave that Sereth showed him. Illusion and trickery were more his style than the huge explosions the rest of the Tower seemed to favor. It was also a weave that "Kassian" would prefer, because it wouldn't harm anyone. Of course, Ze'el knew that there were many ways of hurting someone other than phsyically, and using illusions was one of them.

The weave seemed simple in theory but was much harder in practice. It required all of the elements to use, and was one of the most complicated weaves that Ze'el had ever used. However, he was lucky that he had around the same strength in each element, because if he had been weaker in one it would make his task much harder. Ze'el could do nothing but grit his teeth and keep practicing.

He tried to create an image of an apple, but didn't do so well to start. Eventually he managed to get a red, round blob. After a while, a green oval became a leaf. Although it was far from the design that Sereth had created, it was definately an improvement.