DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Start (Open to the First Person that Posts)

Christine

OOC: Open to the first person that posts, after that, closed!  Sorry, just dont want to have to wait on more and more people to post!

IC:

DAMN!  Who in the blasted light built those walls so high?  They weren't even bloody complete, and they still scared Shaylor close to visiting the Dark One.  Add on the fact that she had heard from many villages over the past two days that an army was stationed here, and Shay knew that she was just crazy enough to go there.  Derek had better be here, or else she was just going to give up.  She had been looking for him for over a year now, visiting different villages and towns and learning many things. 

What had she learned about all of this?  Her brother was a fool.  She actually wasn't that bad with a Gladius.  She had learned well from her past lover.  There was a man out there that was now done with the family jewels.  It wasn’t really her fault he tried to grab her.  She was a good Healer.  Men were pathetic.  Yeah, that was a good basis on her thoughts from her travels. 

Aes Sedai were pathetic too!  How could they tell her she couldn’t channel?  She gave her like half a second to stare at the gem before waving her aside.  Given the proper opportunity, Shaylor would have totally made the gem do whatever it was supposed to have done!  And she would have made an amazing Aes Sedai.

The gate began to open and Shay stopped Cuebiyar.  Poor thing.  Her beautiful snow white mare was so tired of traveling.  This would have to be their final stop- at least for a while.  Someone came from the gate and called out, asking her business.  Well, its just like every other blasted town- stick your head in others' business. 

Shay would have been a smart wench, but considering the weapons she could already see were enough to kill her ten times over, she kept her tongue cool and answered politely.  "My name is Shaylor, and I am seeking refuge and searching for my brother.  I carry only a gladius, which I will hand over, and I am alone."

The hooded figure nodded and waved Shaylor over.  She climbed down from her horse, ready to feel her buttox cheeks not so numb.  Shifting the hood on her head, she set it down on her shoulders, her blonde curls setting out on the dark red.  She even shook out her white dress, trying to get the dust from it.  "One moment," she said to the figure approaching.  Pulling up her skirts slightly, she pulled down the breeches she wore under her skirts and got them off, pulling off her riding boots too. 

"Blasted skirts are horrible for riding in," she said, folding up the pants and placed them across the saddle.  The boots went in a spare bag and she pulled on white slippers that matched her skirts.  Ah, there she was, finally feeling proper again.  She may be on the road all the time and have a film of dust settling over her beautiful skin, but it didn’t mean she couldn’t be a proper lady. "I am from Ghealden.  And you are?  Oh, and do you want my weapon?  I will hand it over if you promise to return it to me."

Shaylor Carlisle

OOC: Christine, the band has a rule that nobody 'finds' the citadel. It is too well guarded. You would have been picked up by the scouts long before you actually got to the citadel. If you could modify this post to reflect that, then things can continue. If needed I'll have my character pick you up.

OOC: oh, my bad. I seem to have read it wrong, you're right your character didn't stumble across it, she specifically went looking for it.

IC: Rurak perked up from his position along the gate where he had guard duty. There seemed to be a single traveler coming down the road. Rurak quietly signaled a couple of the guards to ready their weapons but the rest simply looked for other targets. It wasn't uncommon for people to come through here. Stepping to the gate Rurak asked the traveler her business.

"My name is Shaylor, and I am seeking refuge and searching for my brother.  I carry only a gladius, which I will hand over, and I am alone."

Nodding to himself, Rurak silently waved her over while waving his hand to get the rest of the soldiers to stand down. After all, he still had his bow half knocked and it didn't matter who the person was, short of being a shadowspawn his arrow would take them down."One moment" She said, and before he had a chance to say anything, the women began to take off what seemed to be extra layers of clothes. A bit uncomfortable, Rurak turned slightly away, but still remained watchful. It seemed though that she simply wanted to be out of the extra clothes because once she had everything off and her clothes settled, she spoke up "I am from Ghealden.  And you are?  Oh, and do you want my weapon?  I will hand it over if you promise to return it to me."

"I am from here in the Two Rivers and my name is Lieutenant Rurak Gistere." Wow, this lady must have flustered him more than he thought, he never used his rank. "You make keep your weapon, you'll find that you won't make it far if you want to cause trouble here. There are plenty of soldiers around to stop that. And I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. What business do you have with the band of the red hand to have come all the way here to the citadel? If you would come this way..." Rurak slung his bow over his shoulder and picked up his quarterstaff from where it lay against the wall. "Corporal, you have the command here til I return." Rurak said to the soldier nearest him. He really wasn't sure where to take her as of yet...She seemed to have been just passing through, but this was awfully out of the way...

The handsome man had glanced away as she situated into her proper clothing.  What was he, prehistoric?  Well, at least he hadn’t ogled her like some farm boy that had never seen grace and beauty before.  "I am from here in the Two Rivers and my name is Lieutenant Rurak Gistere."  A Lieutenant?  Well, he had to certainly be important then, and Shaylor flashed him a pretty little smile to say her thanks for him being the one to step out here and greet her.

“You make keep your weapon, you'll find that you won't make it far if you want to cause trouble here. There are plenty of soldiers around to stop that. And I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. What business do you have with the band of the red hand to have come all the way here to the citadel? If you would come this way..."

Taking the reigns of her darling horse, Shaylor followed the man, ready to speak and give her answers.  It wasn’t as if she hadn’t given these answers a hundred times before, but they had to ask, and it was only polite to answer.  After all, he had been so polite so far, she felt rude to give him a tart answer. "Corporal, you have the command here til I return."

Shaylor gave a pretty smile to the man that had been acknowledged by the man.  She waited till they had gone a few steps inside the great walls and she noticed the other men with them were stepping away.  She looked back forward again and let the amazing sight greet her eyes.  There were grand towers and buildings, and it seemed like everything was so uniform but still busy.

“Well, Lieutenant Gister,” she said, using his formal name, “to answer your question, I am in search of my brother, Derek.  He is my age, a bit taller than I, and has dark hair but the same green eyes.”  She looked at him for a moment to show the startling family feature that she shared with her only friend.  “He is an amazing swordmaster, and had run away from our family after…” There was no reason to tell him of what had happened with her husband, nor of what had happened to her lover.

“Anyways, I know that he wanted to join an Army and fight for a cause, so I have searched many a places.  I heard rumors of the Band, as you call it, and decided to test my luck.  Irregardless of him being here or not, I would like to join, or at least stay here.  I have no where else to really go, and I have traveled a long way and am weary of the road, day in and out.”

They had approached a stable, and Shaylor turned to her horse real quick.  Petting her thick soft mane, she kissed her ‘Heart’ on the nose before taking a step towards the stables.  “I am an amazing healer and excel at herbs, if you have any need of medics…”   Glancing around for a stable hand, she turned to the Lieutenant.  “I am sorry to be a bother, but is there any chance I can take care of my horse?  I know she is just as tired as me and needs a good rub down.  After that, I will gladly go anywhere you need to take me.”

Shaylor Carlisle

Rurak walked for a while Shaylor, watching as she took in the sights of the citadel. It really was an impressive sight. Rurak allowed her the silence to take things in. Finally after a brief walk she began to speak.

“Well, Lieutenant Gister,” she said, using his formal name, “to answer your question, I am in search of my brother, Derek.  He is my age, a bit taller than I, and has dark hair but the same green eyes.” She seemed to stare into his eyes to make the point. It was all starting to make him feel a bit uncomfortable. “He is an amazing swordmaster, and had run away from our family after…” Rurak figured that since he had opened with his title, it would hardly do to ask here to drop it now.

"Anyways, I know that he wanted to join an Army and fight for a cause, so I have searched many a places.  I heard rumors of the Band, as you call it, and decided to test my luck.  Irregardless of him being here or not, I would like to join, or at least stay here.  I have no where else to really go, and I have traveled a long way and am weary of the road, day in and out.”

As they continued to walk, they passed a stable and Shaylor stopped them in front of it. She seemed to have a great affection for the horse she was leading...even kissing it. Expecting some comment about the horse he was surprised when she continued to list her skills. “I am an amazing healer and excel at herbs, if you have any need of medics…”  She seemed to look around as if searching for something. “I am sorry to be a bother, but is there any chance I can take care of my horse?  I know she is just as tired as me and needs a good rub down.  After that, I will gladly go anywhere you need to take me.”

"My apologies..." Light, why was he attempting all these manners all of a sudden? Things were definitely not going the way he would have expected, especially since according to Shaylor's intentions she would probably soon become one of the newest privates for the band of the red hand. Mentally taking hold of himself Rurak continued. "It seems that you might be looking for a stablehand? I can have him take care of your horse for you if you wish while I can get you signed up and settled in, though if you prefer to take care of him yourself, that is understandable. I don't pretend to understand horses. I prefer the ground under my feet, but I've noticed that many in the cavalry prefer to take care of their own horse personally. It's a beautiful animal..where did you come by it?"

"My apologies..." Amazing! There was a man out there with manners!  She hadn’t met anyone so polite in leagues!  And that was including that stupid Aes Sedai.  She flashed him another smile, as if rewarding him.  All men needed to feel they were being rewarded.  It made them want to continue helping her.

"It seems that you might be looking for a stablehand? I can have him take care of your horse for you if you wish while I can get you signed up and settled in, though if you prefer to take care of him yourself, that is understandable. I don't pretend to understand horses. I prefer the ground under my feet, but I've noticed that many in the cavalry prefer to take care of their own horse personally. It's a beautiful animal.. where did you come by it?"

A stable hand walked up as if to take the reins, and Shaylor held tight for a moment.  She studied the boy, who was practically a man, and he nodded his head.  He seemed to know what he was doing, so she followed the man back to the stall that was empty, and would now go to her beloved horse.  “I do believe she could use a good wash down” she told the stable hand, who nodded and dashed off to get the needed items.

Her fingers were quick and nimble as they slid onto the buckles that held the saddle on.  “Well, my father gave her to me when I was a little girl.  I am from a minor house in Ghealden, and have grown up with her.”  She continued to work on the reins and set everything aside.  The stable hand was back, and Shaylor moved aside to let him work. 

She picked up her saddle bags from where she had layed them and open up her coin pouch.  Taking out a few coins, she slid them into the stable hands palm.  “Take good care of my mare, and you shall see more of that,” she said to the man, returning the smile he gave her. 

Picking up the other bag, she noticed how heavy they were.  Would the Lieutenant offer a hand, ask another man to help them or leave her to her struggles?  “Now, where did you want to lead me?” she asked.

Shaylor Carlisle

Shaylor took a few moments again to respond. She seemed to be sizing up the stablehand, who apparently was found satisfactory. She gave short instruction on what was needed and then while the stablehand was getting the necessary stuff, she began taking off the saddle and gear. Rurak would have offered to help, but truth be told he mistrusted horses a great deal...especially after having taken all that horsemanship from the cavalry. Horses were fickle creatures and seemed to take issues with Rurak. Best to let the lady handle her own animal, it would trust her.

Apparently finally satisfied with the way things were, Shaylor spoke. “Well, my father gave her to me when I was a little girl.  I am from a minor house in Ghealden, and have grown up with her.” She then slipped the saddlebags down and paid the stableboy. With how many coins she had given out he wasn't surprised to hear she was nobly born. Maybe she was just grateful. Despite that, she seemed to be struggling with the bags. "Here, let me get those for you." Rurak said, stepping forward and...waiting for her permission he slung one bag over his shoulder and carried the other in his off hand."now where do you want to lead me"

"Well...first stop for you will be the recruiter's office. You'll have to sign a contract with the band of the red hand and foreswear all allegiance to previous countries, but that's nothing to worry about. After that I'll take you to the quartermaster's who will see to it that you have the proper uniform and necessary equipment for your particular division. For you I would assume that would mean herbs, unless you brought some with you? Anyway, The final stop I guess will be to your quarters. You look like you could use a rest. now, if you'll follow me, the recruiters is this way."

They walked for a bit, and Rurak seemed to be in an unusually talkative mood. "You know, it was only a few days ago that I was here re-enlisting with the band. I'd been away from it for a while for...personal reasons. I got to see the world but I knew my place was here. Anyhow...here's the recruiter's office." Rurak said as he pulled open the doors. Striding into the room Rurak saluted the man behind the desk. "Sir, I have the newest would be recruit for the band. I'll turn her over to you for now." With that, Rurak stepped out of the way and took a seat off to the side to allow the recruiter to interview Shaylor.

The recruiter simply studied Shaylor for a while. Rurak had been around long enough to know that this was simply to put her off, to test her resolve to join. "Well...let me know why the band of the red hand should even enlist someone as yourself. From the looks of you, you're not overly familiar with weapons, though you carry that gladius well. What do you have to offer the band? Should you join you will be required to foreswear all previous allegiances and from the looks of you you're nobly born. Are you prepared to give up those ties?"

"Here, let me get those for you." What a gentleman!  He stepped forward immediately and grabbed her bags.  She smiled and let him take them, enjoying the feeling of blood returning to her hands.  Light, she didn’t have that much, but it was certainly heavy.  As they continued to walk, the Sergeant spoke about the Band, but Shaylor didn’t pay it much attention.  There was so much more to see and look at, she just couldn’t hold her attention to anything for long.

"You know, it was only a few days ago that I was here re-enlisting with the band. I'd been away from it for a while for...personal reasons. I got to see the world but I knew my place was here. Anyhow...here's the recruiter's office."  She realized they were at another building and he opened the door for her, smiling.  He had a pretty smile with his beautiful blue eyes, and she had to return the smile.  There was a man behind a desk that the Sergeant saluted and  then led her to.  "Sir, I have the newest would be recruit for the band. I'll turn her over to you for now."

Smiling to the recruiter, she put her hands behind her back and stared back at him.  After a few minutes, it got a little awkward, and the man finally spoke. ""Well...let me know why the band of the red hand should even enlist someone as yourself. From the looks of you, you're not overly familiar with weapons, though you carry that gladius well. What do you have to offer the band? Should you join you will be required to foreswear all previous allegiances and from the looks of you you're nobly born. Are you prepared to give up those ties?" "

“But of course!” Shaylor said, smiling to the man.  “I am well practiced with herbs and medicine and have trained some as a nursemaid.  I would like to serve here as a medic, sir.”   The man nodded and had her sign a few papers before the Sergeant led her out of the building and onto the next one.

As they went to the next door and the Sergeant reached to open it for her, she stopped his hand with hers, reaching out to stop the door from opening.  He looked towards her in shock and she smiled, speaking quickly.  “I just wanted to thank you!  You have been so sweet leading me around.  If there is anything you ever need, well, since I am here now, I guess you can always find me in the infirmary.”

Shaylor Carlisle

The niceties out of the way, Rurak and Shaylor headed for the door. He was stopped however by her hand on his. Stunned...he could only stare as she thanked him for his kindness. He didn't dare say anything for fear of making a fool of himself so he simply nodded, then motioned her through the door. The quartermaster helped get all of her things for her. Measuring for clothes and gear. Apparently all the herbs and things were off in the infirmary, Where Shaylor would have to report to the next day for work and training.

Noticing how fatigued Shaylor was getting though, Rurak decided to take her straight to her quarters. The buildings were sqat, designed simply to provide shelter and nothing more. The medics seemed to have things better than the rest of the regiments, but no one was about to complain about partial treatment to those who were going to save your life.

"Here you go ma'am. I must return to my post, the corporal has been left in charge long enough. However, if you need anything, just send word to the archers, it'll get to me somehow, or of course talk to your own superior officer. I hope you rest well and enjoy your stay here with the band of the red hand."

And with that, Rurak set her saddlebags inside, turned and strode back to the gates of the citadel while he tried to forget about the newest medic. Likely he wouldn't run into her again for a while. He hoped he didn't run into her for a while, otherwise it would mean something dire had happened.

Rurak just stared at her for a moment, almost in shock.  What, had he never seen a woman be polite and flirtatious before?  He motioned her through the door, and she met the Quartermaster.  He took measurements for gear and clothes, and inspected her weapon and the belt she wore it through.  After getting his approval, she was given her duty to report for training the next day in the infirmary, where she would meet everyone she needed to and find out about training.

Growing tired, the Sergeant knew exactly what she needed and rushed her to her new rooms.  He opened the door and set her saddlebags down, welcoming her to her new room.  "Here you go ma'am. I must return to my post, the corporal has been left in charge long enough. However, if you need anything, just send word to the archers, it'll get to me somehow, or of course talk to your own superior officer. I hope you rest well and enjoy your stay here with the band of the red hand."

With that, he turned around and left her standing there.  What an odd man.  The entire time, he seemed to be more scared than welcoming.  What was to be scared of?  She wouldn’t bite him!  Ah well, she would certainly send word through the archers to see him again.  As he was the only person he knew here, she would make sure to keep in touch.

Looking around her new room, she saw a simple bed in the corner.  There was a wash stand beside it with a cupboard over top.  There was a window that was closed beside that, and she opened it, letting the cool, beginning night air flow in.  Along the next wall was a small wardrobe, which was empty.  Then there was a bench, and a weapons rack.    Last but not least was a small desk.  It was simple, but would do.

Shaylor opened up her bags, pulling a few items at a time out of her bags.  Her breeches and spare dress went up in the wardrobe, and then her extra shift.  She took her other shoes and boots and set them under the bench.  Her gladius went on the rack to one side, and then she took off her cloak and set it in the closet.  Opening up the other pack, she pulled out her few books and set them on the desk.  Next came a few personal care items, which she set in the cupboard. 

Sitting down at the desk, she found a scrap of parchment and a pen and ink.  Staring at the paper for a moment, she considered what to write.  How would it be polite to say she wanted to see the Sergeant again, to thank him for his kindness.  Staring at the paper for another few moments, she pushed it aside, kicked off her slippers, slid out of her dress, and fell asleep on her bed, hair unbrushed, skin unwashed, and stomach unfed, happy to have a new home.