DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Time to build (open)

Sieve

Geirrin stood a few paces into the woods staring at the trees surrounding him picking out the ones that he would use making a mental note of each.  He wanted this to be perfect so he was careful with his selections.  The idea had come to him early on in his training though at the time he did not possess the skill.  He was so absorbed in his training that he had not thought much on home.  As much as this project was for his own enjoyment, it would also right a wrong in his life.

Geirrin seized a hold of saidin barely noticing the sickly sweet taint that came with it.  By this time he was quite familiar with it and did not pay much attention to his body which want to double over voiding the contents of his stomach.  He channeled a thin flow of fire marking each tree which he intended to use with an "X".  He scanned the area until he was satisfied that he had marked them all.  Most of them were oak and the remainder were beech.  Oak for the hull and supports, beech for masts and spars.

At first he thought of going deep into the woods so he could be alone to work on the fishing vessel in private.  Even though it was a personal project he decided that he did not care who watched or wanted to see what he was up to.  Over time he had become quite proficient at shaping boards, planks, and all manner of wooden items.  If any of the soldiers showed an interest then he would gladly show them how to do it and let them make their own projects.  He pushed the thoughts form his head and began cutting down the trees he had marked starting with the oak trees.       

It was late in the day when Geirrin had finished cutting down the trees that he would use.  When he was done or the day he had two neat piles ready to be cut into braces and planks.  He was soak in sweat a reminder of the struggle with Saidin.  Channeling Saidin sapped a man's endurance almost as much as physical labor.  Even though they did most everything with Saidin they still performed physical labor as a way of conditioning in addition to their exercises.  Satisfied with his progress he made for the inn, a drink or two and a bite to eat would be do him well...

Geirrin returned the next day finding his piles of logs undisturbed.  He seized the source filling himself with Saidin.  One by one he removed a log from the pile with flows of air.  He eyed each log picturing the number of planks, braces, or spar he could make trying to get the most wood out of each.  He cut them into rough pieces and began sorting them into piles based on their use.  After lunch he would begin shaping them.  He had a free day today so he was hoping to get all the pieces shaped.

Geirrin returned to his site after lunch.  He rubbed his belly as he looked over the piles.  He had eaten way to much so he decided to wait a few minutes before starting his work.  Instead he walked around the piles trying to envision each piece going into place.

Gale, once more at home on a ship at land, could not help but notice the wood now that it was starting to come into shapes he recogonized. He studied the beams somewhat approvingly and settled himself down comfortably once noting that the Geirrin was taking a break.

He'd seen the man a few times before in various classes. Here, everyone was more or less family - even though interacting with the various levels of that family wasn't quite the same. So, Gale had gotten to know a good many of these people by face if not by name. He gave a quick, friendly grin and scratched at the Illianer-cut beard gracing his square jaw.

"You do be constructing a ship, yes?" Gale had already decided, seeing as he'd finished lunch quickly, that he would help if the opportunity presented itself. "I do know a bit about ships myself. If you do no mind the company..." Gale spread his hands to finish the rest of that sentence for him.

He was envisioning each piece when he noticed the man approaching.  He was not sure of his name but he had seen him around the training grounds.  The man gave a quick, friendly grin and scratched at the Illianer-cut beard that framed his square jaw. 

When the man spoke there was no doubt from where he came "You do be constructing a ship, yes?" "I do know a bit about ships myself. If you do no mind the company..." Some Tairens and Illianers did not like each other from centuries of disagreements that were common with neighboring countries though Geirrin felt none of he.  He had been a simple fisherman who had no reason to hate another or even hold a grudge for something he knew nothing about.  Plus they were family here.

He smiled at the man, he obviously knew ships since he had reasoned it out just looking at the planks, spars, and braces.  To anyone but a sailor they would have just looked like pieces of wood.

"Yes I am, a fishing vessel, you are welcome to join me if you wish.  I was just about to begin shaping the beams so I can begin to frame out the hull."  As he spoke he was still eyeing the wood to make sure that he had cut enough.  "I've worked 'em but never built one before so I'm not sure if I've cut enough wood.  Well if not there is plenty more where that came from."  He waved his arm at the forest around them.  "Have you any skill with shaping?"

"I do no have much skill, but I know my way around a ship." He puzzled over the shaping bit for a moment, wondering if all he'd learned could really be applied to this so soon. Truth was, he'd been here only a month or so and his skill was lacking. Still, he hoped experience would help in that regard. After all, he was a natural born sailor. How hard could it be?

"It do no be an easy task to build a ship." He surveyed the wood laid out, some of it shaped and some of it just settled aside to be shaped later. He thought there could be a few more logs laid out, but Gale had only overseen a few ships built in his time and only helped in one of them. Besides, this was a first of sorts for him - especially considering the size. But, nevermind that. The man was right, if they needed more wood it was there. "Let us get on to shaping. Show me what you do need from me."

Gale assumed the Void without any trouble, but waited to sieze the Power until directed. Despite everything, he was still a little leery on grabbing at the source without the others knowing there be a reason for it.

Geirrin listened to Hale as he spoke.  Well the man's knowledge of ships would come in handy and in return he could show him some weaves and help the man along with his training.

Geirrin told the man to embrace the source doing so himself.  Geirrin wove flows of fire directing them at a nearby tree.  As the tree began to fall he caught it in flows of air directing it softly to the ground.  The latter was completely unnecessary though it would help the other with his training.  The more uses you could find for the power the faster you learned.  Practice cutting down some trees as I showed you. Once you have a dozen or so you can begin cutting the trees into sections like this.  Geirrin used the same weave to cut the tree into sections as he had when he cut it down.  Once you are finished with that we will see about cutting the sections into planks or braces.  If you need any help I'll be right here.

As Gale began Geirrin turned his attention to the wood he had cut earlier.  He began cutting the logs into planks with flows of fire using flows of earth wherever necessary to smooth and shape them.  Occasionally he would look over at Gale to see how he was making out.  With each tree he cut he could see the man becoming more proficient with the weaves.  Geirrin looked up at the sun to gauge the time.  Perhaps the man would be finished before sunset, if not there was always tomorrow. 

((OOC: Just keep cutting away, take a break if you wish, then cut them into sections and we'll call it a night ))

Gale seized the Power as soon as Geirrin instructed, letting the sickly sweet male half of the source flood into him. It wasn't the most refreshing feeling in the world, but there was still a sense of wonder to holding so much energy within his body. Gale didn't let it get to him, however. The moment of reflection, if it could be called such, came and went like so many other thoughts drifting outside of the Void.

"I think I do be able to manage," the Illianer spoke with ease. He stood up and kept the desire to stretch from reaching his muscles. Instead, after following the weaves of the other man and touching back on previous training, he found the Power relatively easy to instruct. That's not to say he did all this work without trouble. No, it was still a strain - especially slowing the descent of these trees. The first few simply fell, his thick threads of Air shattering almost instantly upon impact. That is, when he could get them up in time.

Channeling quickly was still difficult. By the fifth or sixth one, however, he had fallen into a decent rhythm. He was in no way a master - but he wasn't in danger of hurting Geirrin or himself. Not exactly, anyway. He managed to drop enough logs - at least as many as he felt they'd need, which did turn out to be around a dozen -  he began the process of shaping.

The sun had fallen a considerable distance, however, and Gale was finding more than one strain on his body. He had barely begun to cut one or two of the huge logs into the proper sections before it was about time to call it quits for the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Geirrin came back to his project after a couple of days away.  He looked over their progress to capture in his mind where exactly they were.  The Blacksmith, true to his word had delivered a handcart full of nails and spikes.  It was nice to be back to work on the project, he was excited to see it all come together.  It was nice to have someone with an interest in ships helping him.  On top of that the man was refining his skills and possibly learning some new weaves.  It was a learning experience for both of them.

Geirrin embraced the source then wove flows of air picking up the proper beams and supports.  He laid them just so then with another flow of air picked up a spike.  With flows of air holding the pieces in place he created another flow of air and began pounding the spike into the wood.  He looked over his shoulder feeling Gale's presence. 

"You can finish cutting those other logs then join me when you are finished."  Turning his head back to his work he drove another spike while Gale got to work.  The man was coming along nicely and his knowledge of ships would payoff when they got deeper into the project.  Piece by piece it began to come together.  A few more days and it would be complete.  He had grown accustomed to how much could be done with the power.  it was good to find a use for it other than destruction.

Gale saw Geirrin back at work and decided to head his way over there. He'd done a bit of touch up on the wood but not much in the way of refining anything too further. After all, this was Geirrin's project and he was just assisting on it. Not only that, but they kept him rather busy at the Farm even without this side project.

Still, Geirrin had his mind already set to a project. They'd progressed almost to the point where words were no longer necessary. Gale gave a quick nod and siezed the Power without a second thought now. He was more comfortable around Geirrin now and it was obvious that Gale would need the ability to channel to start at this task. Still, managing so many weaves such as Geirrin was...

Gale started on the remainder of the wood, a few hefty logs yet to be sliced. He began quickly, burning through rested energy at a surprisingly slow pace. The work was fun and not as violent as the usual training. Perhaps that had something to do with it. Gale didn't know when he'd be comfortable taking another person's life with the Power. He'd gotten into his fair share of brawls over the course of his life but to date he'd not killed anyone. The prospect didn't appeal to him much.

Once he'd finished, Gale moved his way back to Geirrin, allowing the man to finish off the task he was on before coming closer. He continued to hold the Power, sweat beading on his brow, while he awaited the next order.

Geirrin noticed Gale watching him so he hammered the last piece of the frame into place then turned to face the man.  Geirrin saw the work the man had done and was impressed.  "Very good, you're a making excellent progress.  If you want you can start hammering those planks onto the frame so we can see what she looks like with a hull.  If you run out of planks then just make some more." 

Gale responded then set off to work.  While Gale was hard at work Geirrin decided to get started on the masts and spars.  Embracing the source again he drank in the power.  The Dark One's taint made him want to heave though he pushed it aside.  If not for the taint holding saidin was marvelous.  Everything was sharper, colors were brighter, life seemed dull when not holding it.

Geirrin picked out the perfect log from which to make the main mast.  Well it was the only mast for the fishing vessel would not be that large when it was complete.  It would most likely have a crew anywhere from two to four fishermen.  That was if it ever made it to the water.  That was something that he had not figured out yet though somehow he would find a way.

Geirrin wove the flows and began shaping the mast.  He took his time with it as he wanted it to come out just right.  Geirrin glanced over at Gale and smiled, the man was coming along nicely.  Perhaps the man would become a friend, it was something that he did not have many of here at the farm.

Gale gave a brisk nod in response, not one for lengthy replies to orders. Ship life had some applications for the Black Tower, even if those applications were few. The young man moved his way to the planks once more and began to work.

Shaping had been relatively easy when compared to this new task. Managing so many flows at once held difficulty for him. The difficulty was slowly lowering as his own mastery increased but the strain was still there. He channeled through the Power, both repulsed and reveling in the sick sweetness of it, weaving Air where it was needed to lift planks, hold them in place. Another weave for the hammer, one for the nail.

He supposed the advantage to all this came in not missing the nail for a thumb. Still, with how much extra effort got expounded from the task, a bruised finger would be much more appreciated. Gale was not one for complaints (not without a few rounds in him, anyway) so he worked in silence and found some solace in the memories the job brought back for him. In a sense, it was like fusing his old life with his new one. Gale was reborn, almost, in this project. Hopefully it would all turn out well.