DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What have you been reading and what do you suggest?

Despair

Guest Dashara

I forgot all about the Dark Tower series!  I started reading those in high school and I think read maybe 2 or 3 of them and I remember liking them.  I'll have to look for the set next time I'm at the bookstore.

I haven't started with Martin yet, so I won't comment on any of that stuff.

I'm currently hooked on Raymond Feist, and I'm reading The Empire Trilogy, co-written with Janny Wurts.  Excellent books.  I plan on finishing what Feist has written after that, and then we'll see...

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the major books for Raymond Feist's Midkemia novels. On a scale with 5 stars being the best, I rate Feist's Midemia series of novels with 4 stars

Guest malone_tymes

I just picked up "Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide" by Maureen Dowd.  First few pages are great.  Will tell you how it end when I am finished.

Malone

I'm finishing up Twilightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko tonight and loving it. Russian vampire/morality trilogy. Not a deep read, but unique voice.

I haven't seen anything about CS Friedman, which makes me sad. i really Loved her Black Sun Rising trilogy and look forward to the new book which I guess is set in that universe.

In the Dark Tower series Stephen King says his ultimate book so far is Insomnia. If you haven't read it yet, you should pick it up. It's awesome.

Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books are catchy and quick reads, but also not real deep.

Want more suggestions? that's 12 books right there to pick up...

So what is "Are Men Necessary?: When Sexes Collide". As a guy I get pretty insecure.  :D.  I read a recent speculative scientific report that if you took sperm from every male on earth, then eradicated us, mankind would take a nose dive super fast within 1000 years.  Without aggression and self-serving dominance (inherent in the male side), we would dwindle and die out.  So I guess we should stick around.

As for Raymond Feist, loved everything he wrote!

Hmmm... Book suggestions in no particular order.

S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series, bit of a Ren Fair wet dream with a touch of 'The Postamn', but he managed a decent story with some good characters all the same.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is fanstastic if there is anyone here who hasn't already checked it out to gauge what he might do in finishing WOT. Now I am waiting on him to finish TWO series as Mistborn is still one book short of its Trilogy.... least it appears highly unlikely to extend past that. 

Peter F. Hamilton's Nights Dawn Trilogy which is being broken up into even more books in the states. Any sci-fi nut should be lost for a week or three with those. Fallen Dragon was also good.

Alistair Reynolds Revelation Space series is very good if somewhat rough going... it is a series but the gaps between books are are HUGE. Pushing Ice is a damn fine book on its own.

Neil Stephenson... ANYTHING

C.S Friedman Cold fire trilogy. Agree with an earlier poster that this set should show up on more radars.

John Scalzi, particularly the Old Man's war books. Very good.

Some older stuff...

Stephen Donaldson, if you have never picked up The Thomas Covenant series it is well worth the time. Took me a long time to read through them, kept literally throwing the books away from me in disgust... and yet I kept going back all the way through to the end. Heavy on the symbolism and allegory. He recently picked this series back up but I have yet to see if it is any good.

Orson Scott Card's Ender books... the original three rather than the cash in books he wrote later. Though even a couple of those are enjoyable.

David' Eddings. He basically wrote the same story/series about 3 or 4 times... still enjoyed them all but YMMV. Great time killers as there are like 12-15 books.

M.K. Wren's The Phoenix Legacy trilogy can be damn near impossible to find but well worth the effort.... though it may have recently been re-printed. Not something you will find at the typical book store that is for sure. 

GRRM Tuff Voyaging. I love song of ice and fire... but in many ways I like the collection of Tuff stories even more. They really do play to his short story strengths, and the relative simplicity doesn't keep them from causing some skull scratching. I read ALOT of books, This is one of the few here I could not put down when I started reading it... I read it till I was done. So did my Father.

Dean Koontz: This guy is more prolific than King or Cussler it seems like... and his stuff is fairly standard fare. But there are a few of his books that stand out from his own crowd.  Watchers, Fear Nothing (Sieze the night to a lesser extent), The first Odd Thomas book... and if you like it the next two will probably be enjoyable... but they just don't quite capture the same feel. Of the Bunch, Watchers is by far the best in my opinion.

Stephen King, The Eyes of the Dragon. It is one of his less well known books and it is one of my favorits. Most of his 'fans' seem to not like it because it is so different from his regular fare.

• 2 weeks later...
Stephen Donaldson, if you have never picked up The Thomas Covenant series it is well worth the time. Took me a long time to read through them, kept literally throwing the books away from me in disgust... and yet I kept going back all the way through to the end. Heavy on the symbolism and allegory. He recently picked this series back up but I have yet to see if it is any good.

I started to read them again and just quit. I know his writing is novel, but a four fingered rapist is a drag.  I loved them at the time, but there is so much better now.

Just read Hillary Clintons memoir: Who is Calling at 3:00 AM - Is it my drunk brother or Bill with no pants.

Archived