DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Words that Bind - TG Ceremony [Attn those involved] **RETRO*

tismeb4u

A light breeze brought the cool crisp scents of fall to Corin’s nose as he sat meditating in the garden. How long he had sat there he could not say, still working to gain comfort and confidence in the meditative void. Lonrick had introduced him to the powers and possibilities of the void and meditation that Corin now thirsted to master. Something he had finally begun to have the extra time to deeply explore since completion of his basic training under the Master at Arms Reikan.

But with that new found freedom came a decision that he must face that would forever change his course in life and bind him to the Tower as a whole in a way he had almost allowed himself to forget. Reikan had warned him the time would come after he completed basic in which he would have to prove his commitment. That time was now drawing near and he still had to gather the assistance of two who believed and trusted in him.

That in part was the reason he had spent so long this morning at meditation trying to come to grips with his purpose and choice in those he would approach and ultimately the names he would give to the Commander as the two to stand for him during the Ceremony to raise him to the status of Tower Guard.

Opening his eyes he looked to the sky to check the progress of the sun behind the thin veil of cotton clouds that blanketed the sky from horizon to horizon. Autumn was in full force and it covered the land with it’s blazing colours of orange and red, yellows and browns. All splashed through out the garden and grove, leaving leaves to crunch under foot. Rising he began the first part of a journey that would see him willingly bound to the Tower until the Tower had no use for him or the ground consumed his lifeless body. A shiver shot up his spine at the last and he offered a quick prayer to the creator that his date with death be a distant one.

Moving past one of the entrances to the tower he hesitated a moment, pondering if perhaps he should address her first. But his nerves would not allow his feet to make the turn, instead he continued down a pathway that lead back to the yard. He would start with his torturer from the past before addressing the puzzle that enveloped his life since arrival.

A quick scan of the yard revealed the lack of her presence and he began the search in earnest for the one he had traded banters and jokes with over his time as a recruit. Though she maintained the upper hand in almost all of their meetings. Passing by the pond he could not help but break out in a full grin as he remembered the mess she had gotten into with the other poor unfortunate souls she had found that day. One of the few times her trouble did not lay it’s hands on him. Ducking low under a branch as he headed toward the water fall; he could not forget how she seemed to find great joy in seeing him hanging from his ankles in the trees more then once in there time as recruits. Perhaps she had changed now that she wore the Red. But then he doubted anything would take that spark of life from Rosheen. Something he envied her for, but also admired in her ability to maintain under all the changes and adversity the Tower’s grasp had on the people here.

Shaking off the darkening thoughts that tried to creep back in he surveyed the falls and the stream but there was no sign of her here either. Though he spared a moment to watch those who where training there, it would be something me may have to look at in the future. It would certainly improve his fluidity and perhaps his balance as he watched a women’s silhouetted form at the top of the falls working the forms.

After a few moments of revelry he turned and headed back toward the yard still in search for his quarry. The yard was a bustle of activity as usual; mentors and mentees all at training and routine as they prepared themselves and their charges for the future needs of the Tower. But still no tell tail Mohawk in sight. He was beginning to find it rather frustrating not finding the one person he actually wanted to see when an all too familiar feeling crept into his back. Spinning around he found Rosheen leaning against a tree behind him with a smile on her face as usual. Once again he could have became the brunt of some mischievous plan of her’s; only this time he had sensed her presence in time, or did she wait for him to notice her.

“Rosheen, just the women I was looking for. Err, I mean just the guard I was looking for.†He offered her a small smile. He had to get his nerves back, this was ridiculous. She was a friend and it was a simple request, nothing complicated. “Rosheen, I was wondering if I could ask a favour of you?â€

Corin Danveer

Hestitantly begining the journey

To say that life had been good to her ever since she was promoted was a grave understatement. Her mentor had warned her against the high expectations of freedom that some freshly promoted Tower Guards seemed to have. When the time came, she had been ready to give everything to the Tower, her fellow Tower Guards, and her chosen Path and Discipline. Training had been… interesting, to say the very least. New worlds opened themselves to her, and she, being who she was, had always jumped in head first. That had caused her to bump her nose on a few occasions, but she had found that in general it was the best way to approach training, and life in general.

Of course the hard training did not mean she no longer had the time to wander around aimlessly, and pull random pranks on people. It just meant that she had to get up a little earlier to achieve her regular daily goals. After an early morning run, and some extensive strength training with one of her trainees, she had chosen to take a few moments to herself. She found herself wandering through the yards, observing the different fighting styles that were displayed, and the different levels of skill. For a moment she stood next to the waterfall, watching her friend Lyv Tylin go through several swordforms while balancing on the top of the fall. Then she moved on, only to find herself staring at a very familiar back.

The temptation to sneak up to Corin and startle him the way she had done quite often when they were both trainees was large, but she resisted, leaning against a tree instead. If he didn’t see her within a few moments she’d probably do so anyway, just to remind him that keeping his back guarded was still important, especially with certain people around. After a moment Corin turned, smiling a little meekly. Rosheen waved her finger at him as if to scold him, but there was no malice in her eyes. She noted that Corin was tense, even more so than usual when he realised he was about to get tricked by her.

“Rosheen, just the women I was looking for. Err, I mean just the guard I was looking for.†She arched an eyebrow at him. “Looking for me, eh? How many times do I have to tell you that you need to look behind you?†she said, a large grin spreading on her face. Corin still seemed nervous, even after her attempt to joke with him, so she decided that whatever was troubling his mind was worth listening to. She hadn’t seen him this… nervous all that often. “Rosheen, I was wondering if I could ask a favour of you?†With a smile she nodded. It was a silly question, really. Of course she’d help out a friend. “Sure.†She said cheerfully. “What do you need?â€

~Rosheen

TG

WT - Nyssa Deschain, Gray & Black sister

WY – Rosheen Than Sakhr, TG & Ginae Auvriani, MoT

SG - Nona Doronas, DF

FL – Suraya

Her smile helped to ease him yet he still could not force himself to relax, "Well you see. I have finished basic training and ..... well I was told to prepare for the ceremony. In that regard I was hoping that you would stand for me. You have been, among other things," a grin bloomed on his face as he shook his head slightly. Among other things was a long long list, "a friend. It would honor me greatly if you would stand form me at the ceremony in two days time. May I give your name to the Commander?"

He waited on her reply anxiously, studying her expression. Next to Orion his old roommate she was the only other trainee he had spent anytime getting to know. Well know and try several times to get even with. That in it's self was no small feet with the tall women. She could be quick at times though she seemed to prefer not to show that side to often. But he would defiantly feel comfortable in a battle if she had his back, he trusted her. Something he found hard to do with those not of the yard's upbringing.

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

BT Trainee, Lost mentee of Isha

"Life is wonderful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that we trouble over." - Isaac Asimov

Rosheen felt her muscles tense a little when she noticed Corin seemed to be unable to relax. That was just a little too add for her liking. They were talking face to face now, and Corin knew she wouldn’t pull any pranks on him while they were having a conversation. She crossed her arms to keep her hand from wandering to the hilt of her katana. It was hard not to be sensitive to the moods of others at the yards, especially when you knew that each and every one of those training there was capable of killing someone swiftly and efficiently, or was getting there very rapidly. When Corin spoke again she allowed herself to relax a little. She had had a similar conversation a while ago, after all.

By the time he was finished talking she was grinning at him, visibly relaxed. She herself had stuttered through the question, afraid that the Tower Guard in question would mock her for it. “Of course you can!†she half shouted. “If the commander will accept that name as a reliable source, of course.†She winked at him. “Reputations are not always a good thing, after all.†She was fairly sure the Commander would have no issues with her presence though. After all, she had been promoted as well. They wouldn’t have promoted her if she wasn’t a suitable Guard. “I’d be honoured.â€

“So what Aes Sedai have you bribed into standing for you?†she said jokingly.

SG - Nona Doronas, DF

FL – Suraya

With her burst of acceptance Corin relaxed visibly and grinned back at her. He was so relieved that she had accepted and not expected him to prove himself to her or do some errand or such. He even laughed at her comment about the commander accepting her name. It felt so good to laugh again with her. Perhaps he would get more time to catch up with her after he was raised to the guard ranks. But right now the fact that she had accepted elated him, one down and one more to go.

“So what Aes Sedai have you bribed into standing for you?†her voice held mirth but it still reminded him to strongly that he had yet to secure that position. "Well you really are the first one I have asked. I do have a certain Green in mind for the task, though I have not asked her. You remember Sirayn Sedia?" Visions of a conversation under a tree with Rosheen about that same Green played back in his mind. But he refused them attachment to his emotions. He had been seeking information and answers about her then, confused, thinking he could control her. But that was then, he was happy now with Rosheen’s acceptance and accepting of his position with Sirayn for the moment.

"I still have to find her and secure her acceptance before I report to the Commander. But perhaps if I bring the right trinket she will say yes." he offered Rosheen a wink over his mischievous smile. If Sirayn knew the light he was painting her in for the moment he would probably be on latrine duty. Sedia where usually touch about their image, Sirayn seemed especially so at times. But he was with Rosheen and she was not the type to go shooting her mouth off about the littlest of details. But then she did have a way of getting him into trouble. Well not just him, the first time he had met her was because she and another fellow had been caught by his mentor. He had never run so many laps before in his life, though it was not the last time he found himself running laps.

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

"Life is wonderful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that we trouble over." - Isaac Asimov

Corin’s mood, which had lightened significantly when she had told him she’d stand for him, darkened a bit again when she mentioned he needed an Aes Sedai. That was often the hard thing to find for guards, as many didn’t interact with Aes Sedai as much as they did with the Accepted that chose to train in the yards, and the Novices who decided that the time spent ogling the trainees and guards was worth the punishment they would receive for it. She found herself grinning again, thinking of the many occasions she had seen novices and accepted drooling over the people she had come to think of as ‘normal’.

"Well you really are the first one I have asked. I do have a certain Green in mind for the task, though I have not asked her. You remember Sirayn Sedia?" Rosheen couldn’t quite resist the urge to roll her eyes. “You couldn’t just take the easy road, could you? Isn’t there some young and happy Green sister around who will no doubt be more than happy to help you though your ceremony?†She winced as she thought back on her own meeting with the fierce green Sister. Her opinion of short people had drastically changed on the day she met Sirayn Sedai.

“I suppose she’ll do.†She joked. Very few Guards could pride themselves on the personal support of such a legendary green sister. Rosheen smiled at the soon to be Tower Guard. If anyone deserved it. it was Corin, who was always accepted her teasing, and who hadn’t been afraid to get back at her every now and then. "I still have to find her and secure her acceptance before I report to the Commander. But perhaps if I bring the right trinket she will say yes." Rosheen grinned. “Good luck, old boy. I suppose I’ll see you at the ceremony, if you survive your meeting with the Mighty Sirayn Sedai.†She gave him a soft punch on the shoulder, before turning and wandering back towards the barracks.

SG - Nona Doronas, DF

FL – Suraya

Laughing Corin remembered the few tangles he had found himself in with some of the up and coming Sedais. More so the fiasco he had reported to Sirayn about that had seen at least one of his close friends mucking out the stalls in full battle armor. No the young seemed to be too fickle to him; The older ones had patterns and expectations clearly laid out, something that could be anticipated and followed. While with the young, it seemed they did not even know what it was they wanted beyond rebelling.

Accepting the soft punch with a grin and a nod. “I always did like a challenge I guess, take care Rosh, and thanks again. I will inform the Commander. See you at the Ceremony.†With that he headed out across the yard once more. He had one more to secure, one that he was not sure how he would go about making the request. Where he feared trouble and torment from Rosh; with Sirayn Sedai it was rejection and a sense of worth.

His mind worked at the puzzle as he passed through the din of metal and wood colliding and slicing the air. A comforting sound after all his time training, his body yearning to work the forms as his mind worked the puzzle. They had ingrained in him the need and desire to maintain and continually improve on his skills and endurance. But his determination carried his feet across the training area and back to the passageway to the Tower. Here his resolve wavered, purpose and a mired of outcomes dancing in his head; he could not keep his feet moving down that path. The small absent minded though of a new shirt and breeches slowly growing to consume his will. Perhaps the slight diversion was what he needed to calm his nerve.

Before he could even begin to create an argument for the continued progression into the Tower in search of his prey he found himself in motion on a path that would see him to one of the gates into Tar Valon. Mentally he could see those gray eyes judging his lack of resolve and ability to see through adversity. The word drawing a distant memory of a conversation with his mentor during his earlier time as a trainee. His mouth began working silently, defending his decision to both phantoms in his mind. How tight the Tower held him it seemed; yet his purpose would only result in even a tighter grasp.

The streets where busy with the throngs that seized them daily it seemed. More and more people seem to come to the city to seek shelter or audience with the Sedais. Over the continuous droning din of the people and their conversations hawkers shouts of wares could be heard. Some selling foods like cakes and loaves, some tin work; still others needle or jewelry. Tar Valon, a city that seemed so at peace with everything during the dark hours of night; became the seething mass of cramped confusion during the day. But throughout all that lay the scheming undertow of the Great Game. Daes Dae’mar played out in ribbons that threaded throughout the great city. Subtle words or phrases, there meanings deeply seated in purpose and desire wove an intricate net over the entire city and caught the unaware in there snares; slicing through the resolve and defenses mercilessly of those who thought themselves able to sit at the high stakes table and loose.

That was the side of Tar Valon Corin had not know existed until a certain grey eyed creature had wrapped him in her intricate webs and begun to turn him into a puppet; with each twitch of a string he danced. The sudden open space he found himself in rousted him from his revelry and incoherent muttering to look up. Subconsciously he knew there were only a few instances where the milling masses would make way as they did. It was one of those very reasons a cold sweat threatened to breakout on his brow as he searched out the cause and found a silhouetted shape ahead of him looking at the fabric a seamstress had displayed in front of her shop. One gloved hand worked slowly over the fabric inspecting it, turning it. The other, her left lay loose at her side; a measure of lace dangling around it in hopes of disguising it’s true form.

He remembered their first meeting; the armory under dark and threatening skies. He had gone to admire a blade he hope to claim after his raising when she had entered with the crashing of thunder; silver flashing through the door opening around her before it sealed them both into the darkness; flickering candle light bathing the room. A sensation shook at his mind as he remembered their meeting like a burning point prodding him, breaking him back to the here and now. His eyes fixed to her’s, she had turned, how long had he been staring at her? How long had their eyes been locked and he lost in a dream? His expression must have changed as one brow rose. How could he be so foolish, she was a games master, how much had he given away while he was lost? How long had he been lost? Trying to keep a sigh of resignation from escaping he moved slowly toward her.

How to explain? What to say? His mind bombarded him with question after question as he sought words; bowing before her he moved forward with his original goal; there would be too many questions otherwise. “Good afternoon Sirayn Sedia, I was hoping I might find you.â€

Corin Danveer

Confused at emotions

Ordered chaos ran riot across the white city in a tumble of colour and sound. Half a hundred cries rose into the clouded sky as opaque as though an iron curtain had been drawn across it, while a cacophony of different hues confused the gaze and clashed with one another much like a band of mismatched musicians. So many distractions that even her sharp senses tracked only half of them; no sooner picking out one possible threat that the next caught her focus in turn. Despite the drab grey overhead all the disarray battered at her insistently until some small part to her wanted nothing more than to creep back to her quarters and hide … she had never been at her best among crowds and since her disastrous meeting with a certain wayward son the sense of massing danger was only heightened.

Truly she was losing her wits in her old age. How she still laid claim to a green shawl she could not think. The left hand she no longer possessed wanted to creep toward the dagger she no longer carried; so many old habits beaten into her during a long and chequered career, now made useless, just remnants of what she had lost. The morbid lapses of a sister who had gotten old and bitter while the world turned on around her heedless of her presence … and these thoughts were distracting her too much. Keeping a careless composure around her Sirayn directed her concentration once more toward the display she was meant to be browsing; subtly positioned so that the shop’s leaded glass window, an expensive sign of its wealth, provided a mirror to the street behind her. Distorted shadows lurked in the glass like the doubts and fears that still troubled her now.

All the same her thoughts wandered in patterns as cryptic as the silver thread even now dancing before her gaze as it crept across the shimmering fabric; the cloth itself looked like to some sheer veil, but in enough layers it might be decent enough … not something that she would ever do more than look at, not something she would ordinarily even pay interest to. She did not like to show anything more than necessary. Part of it came from her heritage rooted as it was in two conservative peoples … the greater part from knowledge more bitter and immediate than that. It still froze her even to be touched in passing, the briefest contact, and any more than that she didn’t even want to consider.

Footsteps and movement interrupted her chain of thought; briefly she sought out stirring in the reflection before her, picked out, among the sweep of veiling fabric … a well known form. Lifting her grey gaze she found the boy standing before her. So bright in his youth and strength that he eerily mirrored some other from not so long ago; green eyes, in a hard, well made face, for once free of all deception and dissembling. And something was mirrored in his expression that she at first stared at, then narrowed her eyes in order to place … some intense feeling to which she could put no name; and maybe it was longing.

By the time he recovered his wits Sirayn had gone through disbelieving to thoroughly rattled. More than anything just then she wanted to seize him by the shoulders and shake some sort of sense out of him, out of that lying trickery, and find some truth somewhere; something which she could finally rely on, solid ground beneath her feet. For perhaps the first time in recent years she came to consider this web of lies about them as a burden rather than everything she knew. If she could just trust someone … just for a moment, be certain where their loyalties lay … it was a fool’s hope and her trusting days seemed ever more distant. A frustration which lingered in her sharply.

Her face set into stern lines, brows still drawn together a fraction she contemplated the young man now quietly approaching her with a measure of distrust. Hoping he might find her indeed. He had come in search of her or she would be wrong indeed; though how he had tracked her down to this market, to this place, when she had left no word otherwise of her passing she could not think. Maybe his skills were better than she imagined and he could track her through such crowds and such bustle or maybe he was just lucky. “It appears you have found me.†A long, measuring look, before she returned her attention seemingly to the cloth still before her; a shimmer of silk in the grey light. “And what can I do for you, boy?â€

Sirayn Símeone-Damodred

Head of the Green Ajah - 999 NE

White Tower RP Co-ordinator

His eyes darted from her turned profile to the fabric in her hand, so fine and yet sheer, more then he would have expected her to be interested in. Perhaps a ploy to keep me off guard, mind already at work in the game once more. His tongue darted out to moisten dry lips as his attention came to bare on the profile of her face once more. There were so many things he could learn from her if she would just trust him and open up. The incessant game between them caused him more frustration then he had very know before her.

Words that had been so methodically planed and thought out now seemed hard to grasp in her presence. A fine pupil he must be if he could not even control a simple conversation with his teacher; but then nothing was simple or straight forward with Sirayn. Nothing except her stony expression and the harsh tone her eyes carried when she considered actions or words below a level of perfection expected.

“As I am sure you are aware, I have completed the requirements of a guard initiate for general training. I am now at a level in their eyes where my services can be of use to the Towers purpose,†and your own if you would just let me prove that. The silent thought pressing to reach his tongue and be forever committed to the air and her ear but his will held it at bay. Remembrance of a talk in the grove about others offering to much information sometimes. Why did it always have to be Daes Dae’mar between them; would there be nothing else?

The lingering question haunted him in his sleep and now in his waking, something would have to change; he would make it change if need be. A fool’s ideology echoed in the back of his head as he continued, less emotion and more control returning to his exterior presentation. “Unto that end I too believe I am ready to be a valued member of the guard and wish to join their ranks. For that step I must take the oaths during a ceremony as is required by custom and Tower law. That is what brings me to you Sirayn Sedai,†that and so much more, for you have wrapped me tighter then though it self at times. “I would find great honor if you would represent the Tower at the ceremony. Of the Tower inhabitants I believe you would most understand what I may offer to the Tower in service.†He wanted to thank her and speak of how valuable her training was to him, but again her warning’s echoed in his head and held the words from his tongue. It will change before either of us are in the ground Sirayn, I swear it will change. Hard and cold like steel on a winters morning the thought slide under his words, it’s edge never touching his voice but glinted slightly in the corner of eyes that were distant and flat.

“If you are willing to assist me in my oaths to the Tower I would like to offer your name to the Commander in preparation for the ceremony.†His eyes studied every feature of her face looking, seeking out any change or hint she might allow to slip in his presence. Something she had done only once before, though at times he did seem to read some thoughts or emotions in her normally storm gray eyes. The pupil was learning, but the master was still the master no matter how hard he may try. Patience Corin, patience, she has had a life time to perfect a game you are still but and infant at. Best to keep the infants appearance. Inwardly he smiled, thoughts if guarded where still his own and even the master would not know them all.

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard

Suspicion coiling its dark path through her thoughts turned instead to quick interest; intrigued by his message and what it might mean for her. The red cloak came at last for her young apprentice. Had so much trime truly passed since their first meeting? Keenly she remembered the inexperienced boy whom she had first drawn into webs of mystery; an innocence which had long since been beaten out of him and replaced by qualities of better worth to her. Intelligence and cunning his own contributions, but Sirayn liked to credit herself with a key part in making him what he chiefly was … no longer an unknowing pawn in games of Daes Dae’mar but a fledgling player with some formidable skills of his own.

His service was already of use to the Tower’s purpose had they but known it; it stood as testament to his discretion that she did not count herself able to tell his masters all the many purposes she had him serving. Frowning she briefly pondered what this ceremony might signify to her … if the Tower Guard might start to call upon his services more than she herself could; if she could perhaps no longer trust him for the greater part of his duty now lay elsewhere; if he might even ask to leave a service he had never officially entered. The benefit of having no contract spoken or otherwise between them was that it could be dissolved swiftly should it be necessary but the ties between them were coming to be well known all the same. Another danger she could have done without.

Honoured by her presence? A little bit charmed, a little bit confused, sometimes she suspected that she lived in a separate world to everyone else; one much colder and lit by the bitter light of truth. It was on the tip of her tongue to point out that having a crippled coward present did little justice to his notion of honour, nor to the Tower’s proud old image, but perhaps a crowded market street busy with trade and commerce was not the place to let such comments come to light … nobody knew what shadows might lurk to pass on whispers. No, it could not be for that reason that she had been requested to stand for him in ceremony unless his judgement was not half as good as she had perceived so far.

Some other string to bind them together perhaps. Could it be for the cheap prestige of having a sister of her generation and experience present? That might be useful but she had thought better of him than that. Still, regardless of the reason, she could scarcely refuse or do him a great discourtesy. “The red cloak? Not before time.†Ice itself, her tone did not permit any sentiment to be inferred; letting the sleek silken fabric slip from her grasp Sirayn turned carelessly to glance out across the busy city as though by appearing unmoved she might deny the unwelcome importance of this moment.

Truly he deserved the red cloak better than anyone she knew … but that would be cold comfort and lend her little aid in his place if it turned out that she lost perhaps her best and most skilled agent today. “Name the time and the place. I will be there. In the mean time you might as well muse on whether you intend to continue working for me … you do, I presume, have a career of your own to address which I may not be able to best serve from now on. So long as you keep your mouth shut regarding anything you may have learned around me I do not intend to be an obstacle to your decision.â€

Sirayn Símeone-Damodred

When she had mentioned the Red cloak, almost questioning his right to it his heart had begun to sink; reasons and explanations already beginning to form in his mind. But the overwhelming relief of her acceptance to his offer flooded him in the end; a relieved sigh caught at the top of his throat just before it became born of life. The thread of elation that she, his teacher and purpose, accepted him as ready to take the cloak was almost more joyful then the accomplishment itself. It still confused him why he felt the need to please her, to prove his worth in her eyes; yet it was there as plain as the agelessness of her face. One day he would figure it out, but for now he accepted it slowly; each day with less resistance and questioning. He knew it was only a matter of time before he gave in completely, but that time was not now.

"you do, I presume, have a career of your own to address which I may not be able to best serve from now on. So long as you keep your mouth shut regarding anything you may have learned around me I do not intend to be an obstacle to your decision.†The underlying thread of doubt that surfaced with regards to his duties and commitment to her puzzled him somewhat though he refused to let the emotion show on his face. She would have read it in a heart beat; fuel she did not need as far as he was concerned. He was sure he had displayed nothing but open acceptance to her; proven himself true and loyal, but the simple seemingly casual comment left great doubt as to her understanding. Unless she was testing him again, but why now. Foolish Corin … you know Sirayn does everything in a time of her choosing. You will go mad before you understand her workings. Still curiosity bloomed from within; wanting to press the issue with her.

He bowed smoothly in front of her, “Thank-you Sirayn Sedai. It is an honor I will not forget, if you will excuse my leave I will inform the Commander. I’m sure she will send a dispatch to you with the day of the ceremony.†Her nod of dismissal was minimal, the cool authoritive air of an Aes Sedai wrapped in thick layers around her. A smirk quivered the corners of his lips as soon as his face past from her sight; happiness welling up from where he had tried to hold it tight. A step light and on the verge of a bounce carried him through the streets of Tar Valon and back toward the tower. He still had a few things to finish in preparation of the ceremony, but he was confident he would be ready. First off he had to inform the Commander of the two people who had accepted to stand for him.

Even the lack of the Commanders presence at her office would not dampen his spirits today. It had taken only a moment to secure paper and a quill from the Mistress of Trainees in which to leave a message for the Commander. With the missive that contained the names of Rosheen and Sirayn Sedai tucked under the door he made his way back to his shared barracks for what soon would be the last time. The cloak brought with it new rooms and new responsibilities. I will prove myself worthy of you Sirayn, I don’t know why, but I will make you proud. Chuckling at the confused thought he opened the door to his room and stepped in, preparations still needed completing.

OOC: Okay, we are ready to kick off teh ceremony, if you all would not mind posting your arrival to the grove for the ceremony, perhaps converse if you would like that would be great then we can do the actual Ceremony.

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

The notes had been sent out with the time and date of the ceremony, and Elia fingered the bundle she would be presenting to the still-trainee upon its completion. A red cloak, a silver clasp, and a long dagger, plain but well made. It was a token weapon, something as a back up should all else fail, but also a part of the ceremony. The letter to Corin had explained what he should wear and that he should come unarmed, and how he should stand to complete the ceremony. It was all rather superfluous, but the ceremony was old and the Glade of Remembrance was a solemn and serious place. She cast her mind back to her own Tower Guard ceremony, her mentor only recently killed, and it should have been him presiding over it. Evan was still close to her heart, and he deserved the tribute she gave to him every time she acted in her official capacity as Commander. Looking up at her clock and realising that the time was near, she gathered the bundle, checked her clothing one last time, and proceeded to the glade.

Sunlight filtered through the trees above and played over the only feature in the glade - the large stone slab that few knew the real meaning of - and the ground, spots dancing with the wind as branches shifted overhead. Silently, Elia lay down the bundle behind the stone, taking up her position, and waiting for him to approach. It was his last day as a trainee, after this ceremony, Corin would be protecting the Tower and its inhabitants. He would have two people with him - an Aes Sedai and a Tower Guard, and they would vouch for his suitability for the job. The Commander heard people approaching and took in the faces without words, studying all three of them with a neutral expression but considering very carefully whether they were all gathered for the right reasons. Seeing no reason to delay, Elia watched them take up their places, and began, her voice quiet and calm. There was a peace in the glade that she did not wish to disturb, a peace that she had enjoyed after her ceremony was over, so proud in her new cloak and clasp.

"Corin?" She looked at him once more, considering, and nodded. It was time to begin, and the first part was his. With a slight smile, Elia watched him speak, and then let the ceremony flow through words so often repeated, and often contemplated.

~Elia

Commander of the Guard

Feel free to just go ahead and NPC the ceremony, or give me a poke if you'd like me to post again. Hopefully this hasn't been too long to wait. I'm trying to catch up with RPs and things are hectic. Apologies if the length is lacking.

How smoothly he turned aside her question. Control she was becoming accustomed to from him, but this lack of response on a topic important to her … and perhaps, though she flattered herself, representing a fraction’s importance to him as well … struck her as ominous. Could it be that he had already decided that his prospects lay elsewhere and simply waited for the correct moment to inform her? Precious little she could do about it if he did, indeed would not want to hold him here if she could no longer count on his loyalty, but the possibility of losing her best agent in the city disturbed her. Too much already she had come to rely on the skills she had so diligently instructed in the boy. If he were to decide now that she served no further purpose for him Sirayn could imagine how swiftly and decisively she might have to move to protect her interests.

Similar questions troubled her for the intervening period; by the time she presented herself at the appointed hour in the grade she had already analysed what she hoped was every possible way in which this difficulty could fall out. If only people behaved in such predictable ways according to her calculations she would never be thrown off balance again by the many and strange things which happened around her … but it would take actual violence to make any sort of sense from the boy she intended to see raised a man today. Admittedly she did not exactly keep a crowd of obedient young men to serve her every wish, but she had been acquainted with several during her centuries’ career, and none behaved with such maddening lack of coherent sense. The boy had more wit than she had initially credited him with, that was for certain, but what motivated him? Did he seek coin or glory or maybe something darker? No way of knowing; ignorance frustrated her. Still turning it over she headed to the ceremony’s location.

Midday brought bright sun glittering across the busy city. The emerald green shawl draped about her shoulders drew its fair share of stares as she wound her way toward the glade; sisters did not ordinarily wear their shawls so openly save for occasions of heavy ceremony and in her wake half a hundred whispers started. She gave none the satisfaction of a response despite the temptation to tell them that if she wished them to know her business she would inform them immediately. Her sombre dark skirts told no other stories even to a skilled observer, but once trees shrouded her from sight she slipped on the ring commonly worn on a silver chain at her throat; marked most tellingly with a tiny tree and crown. Not a sigil she claimed openly most of the time … but with the world spinning so inexorably onward into darkness, there were few left to contest her right to wear it.

Huge dark firs towered about them. High above their heads the sun blazed; a hundred rays of sheer gold fell across them and painted the gathering in serene tones. The stone slab before them gleamed like a small piece of majesty. The silence here intimidated her somewhat. She had been trying to imagine how in all her years she had never attended this ceremony before, perhaps she had never made much of a link with boys so unbecomingly young before, but the fact remained that only an hour’s determined consultation of some old books gave her any idea what lay ahead of them. Let it never be said that the Battle Ajah did not face challenges bravely. Straightening her shawl with a careless gesture she took up position to the left of that slab, sparing only a glance for her companions, and there composed herself to stillness waiting for the ceremony to begin.

Sirayn Símeone-Damodred

With a great deal of care Rosheen tended to her appearance on the morning of Corin’s Tower Guard Ceremony. She barely remembered how the Tower Guard that had presented her had looked, but it still felt important. The red cloak felt like a comforting weight on her shoulders. She finished the silver clasp, and looked at herself in the mirrors for a moment, before nodding, and turning towards the door. Every bit the fierce Tower Guard. She had her Katana strapped around her waist, but she left her Naginata standing in her room. This wasn’t battle, after all. Just an important ceremony that told the world that Corin had matured enough to be trusted with the lives of those within the White Tower.

As she walked out of the Barracks she vaguely wondered if Corin had managed to convince Sirayn to join them, or if he had chosen a … more approachable Aes Sedai instead. Then again, she had asked the Keeper of the Chronicles to attend her Ceremony, and as promised, Lyanna Sedai had been there. It had meant a lot to Rosheen. She supposed that Sirayn’s presence would have the same significance for Corin as Lyanna’s presence had had for Rosheen. Moments later she arrived at the Glade of Remembrance. Sirayn and Corin were waiting there. Rosheen gave them both a nod. “Ready?†she asked Corin.

She found out soon enough, as she and Sirayn followed the young Tower Guard towards the slab. Roshen stood at the Right side of the slab, while Sirayn stood at the left. She bowed her head for Elia for a moment, before accepting the long dagger she was to present to Corin. It was a solid, warm weight in her hands. It was a sign of trust. She had carried her own dagger around for weeks before finally accepting that she couldn’t take it to bed with her without risking a cut or two. After a moment she straightened herself, and waited for Corin to start the ceremony.

Ooc: If I’m not mistaken the AS present gives the cloak to Corin, and the TG present gives the dagger. It’s probably best if you NPC me and Sirayn through the ceremony, Corin

SG - Nona Doronas, DF

FL – Suraya

Trembling fingers of excitement finished the laces of his white shirt; tucked it into wool pants a green so dark it was almost black. With a quick check in the mirror to ensure all was proper he reached for the door and his sword. A habit it had become since his first arrival in these buildings; this yard of growth and transformation. Looking over at the sword and scabbard he drew a deep breath in an attempt to calm nerves that seemed to have his whole body shaking with anticipation. Today he would enter the ranks of the Tower Guard; be one who could make a difference in the world. But to that end he would have to come open and unarmed, with a slight sigh as the breath left him he swept out the door and into the bright sunlight of the day. It took only a moment to transverse the yard like an arrow seeking it’s target toward the path that would lead to the glade.

At the glade’s entrance he awaited the others, two chosen to represent at the ceremony; to bear witness to his oaths. A solemn bow greeted Sirayn Sedai as she approached. He worked to hold emotion in check as he avoided a verbal greeting, kept his eyes from contacting her’s less she see the battle he worked inside. The silence was quickly broken by the arrival of the tall mohawked Rosheen, her red cloak floating behind as she approached. A grin leapt to his face momentarily before he schooled it back to calmness at the open sincerity in his friend’s voice. They may not be the closet of friends, but she was one Corin always felt he could trust. Turning on his heels he entered the glade with the others close behind and came to a stop in front of the stone facing Elia. Sirayn and Rosheen made their way around the glinting surface of the stone to stand at the sides of the Commander. As Elia bent to retrieve something Corin could no longer hold back the urge to read Sirayn’s face. Her presence here meant the world to him and he sought to find similar meaning in the glace he spared quickly. But Aes Sedai serenity denied him that answer though he knew that was all he would find anyway.

â€Corin?†Elia’s voice touched him softly and he swung his attention back to her considering gaze. She had been talking he thought to Rosheen but her attention was now fully on him. Panic tried to swell up in him as he searched through the chaos of internal emotion to find the bits of the ceremonial process he needed. It all began with him and they stood awaiting his start. With a nod he dropped smoothly on to one knee and then the other; let his head slip forward in a humbling bow. He was here to be accepted; given a right they felt he deserved. Not to take something he felt he wanted.

“I come here unarmed, offering to give myself to the defense of those who serve all.†His voice was strong and emotionless but in side he began to feel the first weight of those words are they left his tongue. He knew the words before; practiced them as all trainees did. But now in the solitude of the glade around him the words began to take on a weight; tall strong tree’s seemed to press down on him. “Who would speak for you†the words rang out from the Commander in ceremonial tones. Reverberated off the conifers who had see them repeated many times from many mouths over their lifetime. “I would speak for him, he is fit.†Rosheen’s voice cut through the silence that ensued after Elia’s words and helped to lighten the weigh he had begun to feel; if only the removal of a feather atop the wall that surrounded the Tower Yard. “Who would trust you?†Unconsciously he held his breath as he waited for the touch of vibration that would be her words in his ear. Waited in the silence of a moment; in this place a moment could feel like eternity while under the unblinking watch of tree’s older then the woman who had offered to speak this for him.

His eyes itched to climb from the stone he knelt at and read the expression on her face. But sheer will alone forced his head to remain bowed and allowed only his eyes to glance out toward her from the humbled position. The small ring on her delicate hand leapt to life in the shaft of sunlight that fell on the small party assembled. The tiny tree and crown on the ring’s surface for which he had never seen adore her hand that he remembered; though it clearly was of deep sentimental value to her. “I would trust him.†The words carried throughout the glade in a flat ceremonial tone as all the rest had. As they entered his being they became so much more in meaning and purpose. Simple words that wrapped around his heart and brought unusual warmth to him. She would trust him and he would lay his life at the butchers counter to ensure she never felt the cold embrace of death should he be able. A silent vow never given life from his tongue; meant for her alone, a different time, a different place.

“Who would accept you?†Elia’s words remained ceremonial in tone but they carried an additional weight to place upon his shoulders. Questions in general became questions of worth and ability in the separation of this glade. No dark thoughts could hide in the brilliance of the blazing sun over head that lit the stone and the souls assembled here. “I would,†nothing different offered in Rosheen’s words but his mind add an edge that bit into his soul. Images of the carefree environment they had shared as trainee’s; memories of antics and the smile that she wore so often. She had been a light of reality to him when the games of this place began to pull and harden him. How distant that part of his life felt now. Would he ever know that feeling again? Could there be laughter and lightheartedness in a future of responsibility?

Elia’s voice broke through the memories and questions mounting in his mind. Her voice flat as it intoned once more,“who would witness your oath who’s word is beyond question?†This time there was no perceived pause before the voice of Sirayn carried to him, “I will.†His mind filled in the edges; added emphasis and inflection where none outwardly existed. The weight of the Tower it’s self seemed to settle on him; dry his mouth at the calculating gaze his mind imagined she leveled on him. So much had he done and agreed to with her; but never an oath of such binding. Never had his soul it’s self been offered in words that crossed his lips. A single string he had sought to tie her with; a thick web he found himself ensnared in. A web that over time had changed him in subtle ways into the man that now knelt before them; changed thoughts of adventure and control into the need to see her safe.

“Do you understand that once pledged you are forever bound to a rule of defense? Defense of all Aes Sedai, the defense of the White Tower?†“Yes,†his voice came to him foreign and distant in flat monolithic tones. Memorized conditioning carried his tongue while his mind still played at the puzzles. “Do you understand that once pledged you are forever bound to a rule of commitment? Commitment to serving faithfully, commitment despite any adversity? “Yes,†scenes of slaughter he had seen in various strategy books; descriptions of the butchers bill he had read, overwhelmed his mind and battered at the walls of reason. But his resolve held and crushed the thought mercilessly under focused determination. “Then give your oath now.â€

For the first time since he had knelt at the beginning of the ceremony his head tipped back from the humbled bow. With back straight and head held high and proud he brought his gaze to Rosheen; locked his eyes to her’s as the words that would forever bind him to the Tower slipped from his mouth. “I swear by the light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, as a Tower Guard to defend the White Tower and all who call it home.†His voice was strong and collected as he stated the first oath, a slight smile touching Rosheen’s lips as if encouraging him. Her back he would watch with his own life if she requested it. She was one of very few he considered a close and trusted friend. Slowly he brought his gaze to meet that of Commander Elia who he would now server under. “I swear by the light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, as a Tower Guard to server faithfully for as long as the White Tower requires me.†Acceptance seemed to reflect in clear blue eyes though she held ceremony still on her face. He would serve her commands proudly; held respect for her and the command she held. To follow her command would not be a hard task to accept.

The speed at which his eyes moved to lock with Sirayn Sedai’s gaze was neither faster or slower then the others; a steady purposeful rate that offered nothing outwardly to the world. But an intensity that had previously not been now twinkled feverously in eyes that, on the surface, reflected her image back to her. She had introduced him to so much in the way of knowledge and skill, but that knowledge had come with a price. The carefree happy youth had been lost; buried somewhere deep and a hard man had emerged in his place. Already he knew in his most inner core that this scene, him knelt before her in servitude, would play out again in their future. Somehow, someway he would see it come to bear fruit. They had spent a lot of time together in comparison to any other Aes Sedai in the Tower; time that had changed him and his feelings toward her. “I swear by the light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, as a Tower Guard to fight the shadow and uphold the light until my dying day.â€

No noticeable change in expression or appearance marked her, but intent as his focus had been on her he was sure she had understood or at least noticed there had been something more then the regular oath in his words and meaning. She would offer nothing in such a public gathering, as they were, that he knew confidently about her. But perhaps when they met alone again he could explore her thoughts on the matter. He would love to know her feeling but that was asking something far too much of the women at this stage. He was all to happy at this point to accept her simple presence as acceptance of him. If she was as good as he believed, she would find the answer to the question she had asked him in the market in that oath.

“We welcome you to the Tower Guard, you that were known once as Corin Danveer of Ghealdan.†His eyes remained fixed to hers as she stepped forward and bent to place the cloak on him. His mind changed the place and time; conjured up differences in ceremony and process. The weight of the cloak was light on his shoulders but it’s meaning and duty weighed heavily on his mind. Silently his heart offered a promise of his life into her hands as the soft click of the clasp seemed to reverberate off the rock in the silence of the glade. Mighty oaks watched down on him from their heights like small tower spires and judged his worth to wear the crimson cloak. His tongue twitched in a mouth firmly closed; wanted to speak an offering to her so near, but his resolve held firm as she stepped away and he brought his eyes resistively from hers to that of the Commander.

“We welcome you as Corin Danveer of the Tower Guard, our brother in arms. Rise and stand as one among many.†An energy from within; not known to him before; some might call it pride perhaps. Corin rose strongly, his head still held high, with pride void of conceit. He was one of there order now; accepted as equal among equals and he would prove their trust in him well placed. From the edge of vision he noted Rosheen step forward and turned toward her; small smile playing over his lips as emotions he could contain no longer began to find cracks in the wall of control. “You came to us unarmed, and as a mark of our trust we place this steel in your hand. May you keep it as a symbol of the trust that has been placed in you, and may it serve you well.†Elia’s words floated around him still in ceremony but his focus was on the glint of metal in the hands of a friend. He had not noticed the blade before as hands came up before him with open palms to accept the gift his new sister offered. The cool temperature of the edged metal in his hands brought comfort and a sense of being to him; nodding acceptance to Rosheen for the long dagger.

From behind he felt a hand soft on his shoulder; only the yards training and Sirayn’s guidance kept him from jumping at the sudden contact. Softly Elia’s words came to his ear, warmth of breath against skin as she bent in to address him alone. “Spare a moment for those who have come before you and to who you have become, as shall those who follow you.†Ceremony was no longer there; a voice soft and threaded with perhaps remembrance? The tone seemed almost foreign being carried by her voice. With such smooth distant ceremony in it earlier he almost wanted to turn and have eyes verify his ears belief in the speakers identity. But the light pressure slipped from his left shoulder as his head nodded acknowledgement. Looking back up he found nothing but the stone and the glade before him. While he had dwelt internally on the thread of emotion that seemed to be wrapped around Elia’s words the remaining two had moved from sight. The soft swish of skirt and flutter of cloaks announced the party’s retreat behind him until that too was lost behind the great protective wall of trees.

They had stood for years and watched men and women come to this place to swear oaths and seal themselves to the Tower. For years they had protected the new member as memories, purpose, and future crashed over them. Their silent vigil both witnessing and comforting those as they needed it. Emotions true weight now pressed down on him as he sank slowly to knees and then sat, tears of joy making slow tracks down his cheeks and dropping in silence to the stones surface. Since childhood he had dreamed of a day when he could make a difference; be the guardian in the gleeman’s tale. He had come in innocence and the Tower had opened his eyes, now it was time for him to see to the world’s problems. His role was to protect and assist those who would make a difference; she would make a difference.

Grey disembodied eyes floated ever watching over the vision of his family; reunited in joy over his new position in life. The picture so vivid in his mind he reached out briefly with a hand to touch his mother. The hand dropped back to his lap as the feeling of separation claimed him and he held the image of family tight in his mind; fresh tears joining the tracks of previous on his face.

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard

The Journey Begins

OOC: Please feel free to post and comments / thoughts your characters have that you would like added. Thanks so much for helping out with this thread :D