DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[PS3] Heavenly Sword

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

I recently rented Heavenly Sword and [lair=http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,22117.msg572349.html#msg572349]Lair[/url] this weekend, Beat Heavenly Sword sometime Sunday night.

The story is not very predictable, it tells a tale, and a complex one at that. While there is a 'big baddie' and a 'good goodie' (sorta, you gotta watch the prologue)

The story does have some meanings under the currents.

Escentially the Story is about this world, and houndeds of years before the story started, there was a war between two clans, good/evil. The 'bad' side was being led by a the Raven King, "Big guy, covered in shadows, possibly having wings". His side was winning until a warrior made of light came down and battled him. After he defeated the Raven King, he departed leaving behind a sword.

That sword was than taken and fought for by everyone who seeked to gain its power, Until Your Main Characters Clan comes upon the sword, and safe guards it. There was also a prophecy attached to the swords legacy, that a 'messiah' so to speak would be born, and 'bring' peace to the land.

However that said child, Nariko, was supposed to be born a man, not a woman. Causing her clan to distrust/loath/hate her. Her Father, who tried to kill her, decided not to and trained her instead, the ways of his clan, and to guard the Heavenly Sword.

Fast Forward to 5 days ago (in the game). Nariko's Clan comes under Attack by a man called King Bohan, and they are left to Defend against his attacks to destroy them, and take the Heavenly Sword as a Trophy.

Nariko takes up the sword, which is against everything her clan believed to try to defeat King Bohan.

Thats about all I can say with out spoiling the story to much, as most of it is a 'paraphrase' of the prequal to the game in animated format.

Story:

The story of the game is pretty straight forward, however, it starts out with your main character killing wave after wave of people before collapsing. Then your character Nariko has a flash back, to 5 days ago, when everything happened.

The game is filled with a colorful staff.

Nariko, the lady who bears the Heavenly Sword.

Kai, The Twing Twang Girl, who has A.D.D and an infantile mind.

King Bohan - Evil baddie who can be angry/laughing than switch to utter calm and order you to your death mid speed.

Roach - King Bohans Bastard Fat Mutant Son.

Flying Fox - One of the best baddies in this game.

Whiptail - Remember those ladies with the 'tentacle' on there head in star wars? Think that, except its a 'hat' and the gills on her face were 'carved' there by King Bohan.

There is a point to the story, it starts out by a prophecy gone wrong, and the main theme is basically "Choice" for the side of good, and for the side of the baddies "Greed can topple Empires".

Gameplay:

I'm not a big fan of button mashing, God Of War style combat. Quite simply, I just hit buttons till I do something cool. :P

The game doesn't really incorporate any 'new' mechanics in the fighting department. Though it does offer this.

When throwing objects/shooting with a bow/cannon, you can 'guide' the projectile using the motion sensing controller like you would an airplane. This allows for some real 'Xena' Action with big round metal disks.

It also has the famous 'kill button mash' sequences you see in God Of War nd other games like Prince of Persia.

She does have some 'unique' ball busting moves....  (They are painful! >_<)

Graphics:

They were pretty good graphics, considering this is an upclose and personal fighting game, the Animations are also top notch in this. There are VERY few CG's as it is All cutscenes are done In-Game, and even the cutscenes almost look like CG. :P

CG:

There are only a few of these, and they are wonderful. The best part? There is only a 'mild' difference between ingame graphics/cutscenes and the CG's, you 'almost' can't tell the difference, there is one, but its not as glaringly obviously like Matrix 2, when Nero would go from 'real' to 'plastic cg' in the net frame, and back again...

Music:

Pretty good, the sound effects were top notch, though, the 'fireworks' were probably a lil to 'squicky' imo.

Voice Acting:

Top Notch, now whlie the characters had rather 'big' mouths and 'eyes', the voice acting was top notch, the quality of the actual sound was great to, And best of all? The voice matches the characters, its hard to picture anyone Else but the people who did them for that part!

Replay Value:

The game has relatively low replay value, no online play, which obviously kills that.

However if your a '100%' completion fanatic, there is alot of replay in this game. You have to collect 'glyphs' to unlock new moves, and new 'extra features' like pictures and stuff. There is also 2 difficutlies.

Normal,

and

Hell Mode, that can only be reached by beating the game.

Story: 10/10

Gameplay: 9/10

Graphics: 9/10

CG: 10/10

Music: 8/10

Replay Value: 6/10

If anything, its a rental. I'm personally not going to buy it, 'cause I already beat it' and don't feel like buying a game i'm not going to replay.

But the story is well worth the rental.

Here are also some of my favorite scenes from this game.

Relatively spoil free.

Not like most of ya have a ps3 anyways. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF-lLXLZsUE&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpcCktgk7OM&mode=related&search=Heavenly%20Sword%20Kai%20PS3%20mummy

Great Review.  This was a game I that may have moved me over to the system... but probably not worth it if the game is only rental worthy.  I do like the graphics and gameplay though. 

The system buying game is MGS4 and FFXIII :P

But yea, I'd classify it as a rental if only your the kind of person who likes to just 'beat a game for its story' not 100% completion.

Then again its like God of War, and the other action/fighting games.

Archived