DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Finding a light - and a weapon (Arturus)

Guest Celes

Sleep was overrated and Lyv had snuck out of her room early that morning, so as not to wake her roomie. As she headed down to the Infirmary to check up on a student she had delivered to Fayth Sedai that evening before, she wondered about her own trainee. Arturus was like a storm of emotions and power that came with a young man who still had to grow into this role of a fighter and a defender. She would not be surprised if he showed up in the bed next to Tess, the trainee she came to visit.

The woman was sleeping now and the Yellow on duty told her that her broken arm and bruised leg would heal, but that she would probably have to do some simple things for a few months first. Like learning how to control her arms and legs again after a few weeks of bed rest. Lyv nodded, she would offer to help Tess if her mentor did not mind and again she thought of Arturus and the way he stormed through his life. Although, she had only just met him and it was a new day to begin with. After a quick breakfast, Lyv had run through her morning exercises and was now waiting for her student to arrive.

She was curious what other hidden treasures this day would bring, his skill in water training might prove him someone for the Path of Water training after his promotion. Would Neroin have felt this way about Lyv when he taught her how to swim and how to use the water as an opponent rather than as a trap? Would he have seen the potential so soon or was Lyv just hoping to gather more students who used fluidity, speed and balance all combined in their training. It was too soon, but here he was and she was ready to commence the lesson.

“Good morning Arturus,” she started and together they walked into the Armory, he did not seem to be at all surprised at the number of swords on the wall. The number of shields that hung on a rail for cleaning purposes. “You will spend many an hour here,” Lyv said with a wink as Loari looked them both over,” this is Master Blacksmith Loari Aladith-Thewen and she is in charge of the Armory and any chores you could be doing here,” Lyv added and greeted Loari.

Then she moved on with her lesson, “You can have a good look around, you can ask me about what you want to know but then you will chose two weapons that you can study. Later on you can chose more weapons to study but in your training days we prefer you to use only the two,” she nodded then headed outside and sat down leaning against the old tree. She would give him ample time to decide and she had the feeling that he was not going to be overwhelmed by what to chose, but more by what to leave behind in the Armory.

Lyv Tylin

“Good morning Arturus,” Lyv told him as he approached the armory. He smiled and gave her a respectful nod. Already he had been up awhile. He started with the punishment chores from Thera, a well rounded breakfast, and a quick run to and from the river to bathe and loosen up a bit for the days training. Lyv began explaining the purpose here. Today he would choose his weapons. He walked right past the other weapons only giving them a glance. He stopped in front of a rack that held several Bastard swords and began inspecting them. He was seeking one that had a decent balance for him, that at least he knew how to look for, as well as the best metallurgy used with the making, straight, and properly weighted. He knew which he would use the moment he picked it up. Whoever made this weapon knew it would be good work. Arturus tried a couple basic moves. Impressive looking when he performed it sure, but actually using it in the heat of battle was a different thing entirely. He knew he didnt know how to strike properly or follow the movement of an opponents body to predict their strikes as well as properly execute his own. But meditation had taught him to "feel" their movements though that was useless unless you knew how to strike in the first place. He began to check scabbards and glanced at Lyv and Loari and Lyv just looked amused while Loari beamed with a smile at Arturus's blade selection. She had obviously made this blade. Looking at the scabbards he began to look for something specific. He wanted a steel casing as not all duels need to be fought with an open blade and when a drunk draws steel on you, sometimes a sound thrashing with a cased weapon is better than killing the man. But inside the case he sought out a waxed wood. This would allow him to draw his weapon without the sounds of metal scraping metal. He was thankful when he found a single scabbard that met his needs and by chance also fit the weapon and matched appearance. He wondered if it was luck at all.

Arturus then walked over to where the dirks where kept. This section he noticed was largely unused as many students probably did not care about the short ranged throwing daggers when you could use a bow or a throwing spear. But Arturus had been playing Daggers and Targets with his father since he was a child. It was a useful way to teach children and even adults range, speed, and distance. His father also made him use his left hand as his father told him his right would more than likely be wielding his sword. Balance was key to these daggers for accuracy but not just the weight distribution but the weight of the weapons itself mattered. The more weight, the more damage, but also less distance when there was too much weight, at least less when you wanted to be accurate. Using a small target in the shop he began testing for a set suitable for him. He found two sets. Lyv had raised an eyebrow at him when he used his left hand to test them. Looking at Loari and holding up both sets she nodded. One came in a case that was meant to be strapped on the arm. The other set went on the sword belt.

Walking back to Lyv he looked her in the eyes. "I have found my weapons Master Lyv."

• 4 weeks later...

Lyv watched her student as he progressed past the weapons and tried to find the one that would fit him. He was knowledgeable of weapons, he did not fear them and knew how to handle one. He tested the weapons like one skilled would and she watched him closely, curious to see what she could learn about him. When he found his weapons, she wondered if he would be interested in the lessons about care and handling of a weapon. But still, she would teach him and he would listen and probably chose to do with the information what he could. She headed outside and took one of the blades from him, then produced some cloth and showed him how to clean the sword. “Water, blood and whatever else may stick on the sword will corrode the metal,” she told him some things about what herbs could be found to make a nice paste that cleaned dried up blood or kept a sword sturdy against rusting. It was a short lesson, but one that needed to be taught even to one who seemed so comfortable handling and caring for a sword already.

“Tell me, Arturus,” Lyv said as she handed the sword back and watched him as he cleaned the second blade. “Do you have an idea of what you want to do here?” it sounded vague she realized as he looked up in her face. Lyv grinned and asked, “I mean, what do you hope to learn from the Yards, from me?”

Lyv Tylin

Mentor of Arturus

OOC: RP cleaning the blade, using experience and or Lyv’s lesson, then talk about what you expect to learn. Since we need 8 posts in total, perhaps we can discuss life in the Yards? Work as a tower guard or warder?

Arturus sat next to Lyv out on the yards with his newly chosen weapons in hand. They were his now and that came with a sense of pride.

“Tell me, Arturus,” Lyv said as she handed the sword back and watched him as he cleaned the second blade. “Do you have an idea of what you want to do here?” it sounded vague she realized as he looked up in her face. Lyv grinned and asked, “I mean, what do you hope to learn from the Yards, from me?”

Arturus looked up and met her smile. "Honestly I never cleaned a blade that was actually used. I never got to that with training with my father. But I have oiled some that were not in use to prevent rust. So what you are teaching me now I did not know. Nor was I ever trusted with a blade." Arturus ran his hand over the blade of his bastard sword gently. Looking into it to see his own reflection before looking back up at Lyv.

"I dont know much about fighting Mistress Lyv... not toe to toe anyways. I was taught to keep strong, how to develop some muscles that other fighters often neglect to give me a great advantage. I was taught how to throw a knife because my father said that learning to throw with my left hand would be good for days where my right arm is wounded. And swinging with the right arm and throwing a dagger accurately with your left can be a life saver. I was taught two movement forms that have only two basic sword swings and those forms were performed in a river back home to make them more difficult. I know one form to teach balance and get one used to fighting when surrounded that no one has ever been taught and that is also done in water. So in a way I just have been using what I know, not what I need to know. I dont know anything about the things you are going to teach me so consider me a student with no training at all."

Arturus held out the long blade with one arm. He was steady to be sure. Steady enough that in Andor he would have been chosen as a field surgeon. He swung the weapon down once, slowly, trying to go as straight as possible and winced when he failed miserably.

"I also cant hit the broad side of a barn. I cant understand it. I clear my mind of all thoughts but something happens when it all matters. I can most of the time be accurate when practicing but in an actual sparring session I just cant hit, blank mind or not."

Arturus stared at the ground. His problem was a big one. It was also obviously mental and those were tough to break. Something WAS happening though when it really mattered for him.

"What do I want to learn? First. Why dont you show me how to shine these up again so that your pupil can keep his weapons in a condition that would honor his mentor. Then you can set a penance for me because last night I walked into the bath house and realized they were not separated for male and female... I panicked and tried to run out and slipped on water and destroyed some shelves"

His face was as red as a cherry ready to be picked. But Lyv had to know that her pupil could fearlessly stare down twelve angry students some of which who might have killed him as he did. But he was painfully shy around the opposite sex. Except for Lyv herself of course, but she was his mentor and Arturus knew she would remain professional. But Light forbid he had to spar a woman that wasnt Lyv! He thought he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn now!

It took a moment to regain composure and allow blood to go somewhere other than his face. But when he did manage he looked back at Lyv expectantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyv nodded as her new mentee spoke and made notes of the things he mentioned that he knew and could use. She would test him on these later, to see how fast he learned, how he adapted to new situations. He was an interesting young man and his comment about needing punishment made her eyebrows rise. She grinned as he related what had happened the night before and replied, “You must have heard I was once Mistress of Trainees,” she winked, “Not anymore, it’s not my job to punish a disturbance of yours when I don’t witness it, that’s the MoT’s job and she is not me,” with that she would leave it up to him to chose to confront Tirzah if he chose the need for it.

They continued the lesson with new energy and Lyv taught him to clean different types of dirt, then she thought of something. “It might be nice for us to take a walk and discover some herbs that grow in the old Grove. You can use these herbs to make a cleaning paste for your weapons, you can make a healing paste to fasten the healing of cuts or bruises,” she could not teach him all the use at once, nor did she know as many herbs as some of her friends, but she could teach him the basics. “We will start here,” she said and started to walk towards the fence that surrounded the training yard.

She showed him some simple green herbs that one could tie between a piece of a cloth around a bruise, to make the swelling go down. “You can walk home on this, find help from a Yellow Sister and then hear her scowl as she probably finds that you should have stayed lying down until someone got you!” Lyv said and handed him the green herbs to study. Then she moved towards the path to the Grove and stopped at an old willow tree. “It does not work for all, but some say that putting some willow bark in your tea can cure a headache and calm down a fever,” she took a dagger and cut some bits off, “Again, a Yellow Sister can give Healing but they are not always around when you are traveling.”

The continued towards the Grove and Lyv told Arturus about how this an old Ogier Grove and some used it to study their philosophy, to train or to meditate in peace. “It is truly a place of calm and when you find that the training grounds are too busy one morning, you are free to come here and enjoy the space and the open skies,” they settled down and Lyv asked, “Have you learned about nature at all? About herbs, about markers you can make when you travel through the woods, finding your way?”

Lyv Tylin

Arturus followed and listened closely about the herbs. That might come in handy one day. He knew little about them but decided to get a book about it and maybe take a class.

“Have you learned about nature at all? About herbs, about markers you can make when you travel through the woods, finding your way?”

Arturus thought about the question.

"I know that pine tree sap is sterile and can be used to close and clean a wound. I know that it is also flammable when a torch is needed, add some phosphorus stone ground up and you have a mix that can not be removed from flesh, it has to be cut off around the flesh that is not burning and added to the flat of a throwing dagger and ignited before throwing and you have a deadly mix. Until then it will keep burning. Add soap and highly concentrated alcohol and you have an explosive fluid that will burn hot and long. As far as signs. My father and I used turning a rock and shaving a reed before putting it back in the ground with the shaved part buried."

Arturus thought about it. All weapons and war. He should have listened to his mother more. She knew herbs rather well and he never paid attention.

"I appreciate that you have accepted me as your student. I fear I will be difficult."

Arturus looked about the grove and saw two accepted pass by and smile at him outside the grove. He ducked his head with red coloring his face.

"Very difficult."

Understanding what her student was saying, Lyv pondered over something she could teach him right away when she saw his gaze move over two Accepted. The women should know better and Lyv grinned lightly at the red faced trainee sitting next to her. “Women,” she said and smiled as his face turned more red from her comment, “I know, look who’s talking, but I have fancied a man and I know that this life is difficult for the young, who’s heart race at the sight of someone beautiful,” Arturus looked away from her now and Lyv gave him a nudge.

“Pay attention to class and you will become a grand master one day, that will certainly draw their eyes to you,” she did not smile this time as a memory flashed before her eyes. A love once had, then lost and found again briefly, a grand master who had taught her and cared for her, not the trainee but still the student who had much to learn before she was ready to give her heart – give up what she believed in most. She sighed and made a figure in the dirt next to her, “This is the shape of the leaves that you will find when traveling south,” she moved the dirt a bit, “Sometimes it can be rough to find your way so always look around you, mind the details and the little things that stand out.” She taught him about what kind of details she meant, the dead animal can be killed by a bigger animal, but it can also be killed by nature itself.

“Sometimes, a river can suddenly flood over night, huge washes of rain, fish on the grass does not belong there, an odd detail that can tell you what happened there,” she told him about a flood a few months back in the river. “I really did find two fish, mind you very small fish, between the rocks,” she grinned lightly, “I thought I had eaten something gone bad and my mind was playing tricks on me, but the stones were wet and sure enough the next night it was raining again and one of my students got stuck during a dangerous practice round on top of the waterfall, me and two others had to use ropes to get him back down. If he had also seen the fishes and the wet stones, he might not have taken the risk of entering the river like that,” she shrugged, “He was not a good student like yourself, right?” and nodded.

She rose from her seat and stretched out her hand to point out different areas that could be viewed from the Grove. “On a clear day, some say that you can see the ocean,” she said dreamily and then pointed towards the woods,” in a few weeks, we will travel there and do some survival training. How about that?”  As he was staring over where she pointed, Lyv drew her quarterstaff and moved into a basic stance, then quickly hovered into a simple attack, Arturus had not forgotten she was there, but had he paid attention to her along with the scenery he was viewing?

Lyv Tylin

OOC: Just a few strikes to see if he can switch his attention quickly. Try your hand at some basic movement and NPC Lyv returning blows and fending off Arturus' attacks. :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Arturus watched intently as Lyv made the matters in the dirt and instructed a few tips on weather. He raised an eyebrow at the comment of him being a "good student" He wasnt so sure he was. He stared off in the direction that Lyv pointed to where he should be able to see the ocean. He had loved the ocean but his mind was only half on it. The other half was on the two accepted that had passed by. He lost sight of the view completely when he heard the crunch of dried leaves that had to be weight settling and a foot twisting. There was only two reasons to do that. Turning or taking a stance for an attack. He blocked the first blow that came towards his shoulder by simply pulling his sword out half way. It was a move he had seen watching a master deal with some drunks during a trip to Baerlon. However it would be the only strike he blocked... impressive though.

At the same time as his arm first began to move towards his sword he pulled two of his dirks from the front of his belt with his left hand and palmed them. A hasty roll avoided a second and third strike from Lyv and it suddenly occurred to Arturus that she wanted to test what he knew. When she lunged at him again he drew and struck at the same time. He used all his strength hoping to end the duel in one blow. Lyv blocked easily, Arturus had no sword training but he could swing hard and fast. Lyv would lose her staff if she blocked any more, when she switched to parrying Arturus muttered a curse. One shot landed below his collar bone and sent him sprawling backwards a few feet with a roll being the only thing that kept him in the fight. As he rolled back to a crouch he let the two dirks fly. One stuck deep into her staff and a second sailed past her head. A wide eyed look was all he got. He was not a good student after all it seemed... in fact he was a rather tricky and naughty student. From then on she never let any distance come between them. (Well that was my only other trick.) He thought.

What happened after was quite a few feeble swings from him. Some of which Lyv didnt even need to move to avoid. Arturus took a number of shots from the staff and used his left arm to block. Which would have been fine had he been wearing a plate gauntlet, extra thick for dueling. But since he wasnt he used his arm only to block blows that would have other wise ended the duel. If he could not beat her maybe he could show her how much he could take by blocking all the strikes that would end the duel. A few of those got through anyways and he staggered until the third one. Sent him hard to the floor dislocating his arm in the process. A normal student would have known the battle was over long ago. Arturus however, despite his insistence on keeping the battle going even though he was losing was not just getting bruised for the heck of it. Every movement she made he studied. Every glide and sweep with her legs he marked in his memory. Every muscle tensed of relaxed. He was learning.

Knowing she would want to end the duel seeing how he was hurt he rose quickly and lunged with his sword out in front she lunged back parrying the blow, which was much slower than five minutes ago, as easily as though a child swung the heavy sword. He took a few more shots and realized as he fell to his back, with no energy to roll this time, that the time for learning was over. If he was going to try and win he needed a new tactic. As Lyv stood over him he looked up at her and gave her a sheepish grin.

"You know your cute when you are surprised."

Well... it was meant as a taunt but that one even surprised him, perhaps he was hit on the head a little too hard, perhaps he should quit now... Before he realized he had done it he had his sword in hand again. He stepped forward and brought his sword low with the tip just touching the dirt. He flung the sword up attempting to make her cover her eyes to protect them from the dirt. A feint and a dirty move. But all is fair in battle. So was the punch in the gut he had not expected the from someone he thought couldnt see and had been using a staff the whole time.

All in all he was tired as he took a few steps back. He was covered in bruises but she had been careful not to break bones or do any permanent damage. In fact other than a split lip and scratched knees he wasnt bleeding at all. He shook his whole body for a moment to loosen up sore muscles and trying to eliminate some of the tunnel vision. Before giving her another grin.

"Ok I am ready for more."

OOC I dont think Lyv would beat a student within an inch of his life but Arturus is doing his best to make sure the duel doesnt end. Hes inexperienced enough that he wouldnt be as hurt if he knew a thing about blocking or parrying but as it is, feel free to exchange a few more or perhaps end it. Lyv could easily end it but Arturus is trying to make it difficult for her to do so. Hes not sure if hes proven himself to her yet so he is trying not to make her think he is weak by her having to end it. Let me know if you want me to alter this or if I missed the point of the exercise.

OOC: Love the post, no problems at all and great work on showing how your character reacts! Sorry I am s slow to post hun!

IC:

Lyv was not surprised at her student’s quick reaction to the blows she was planning for him, yet she was a bit surprised at how long he could hang on. He was energetic and surprising and she enjoyed the spar as he challenged her as much as she challenged him. She found that he was not experienced and did not always expect the outcome of the blow he dealt, but that made the blows no less dangerous and his actions no less controlled. He might not foresee her defense or expect how she would parry, but he did realize that she would parry and he did anticipate a return blow on his attacks.

After a while, Lyv had almost forgotten this was just a starting student, a trainee she had to lead and train and not a challenge to take on and win over. He was challenging her again now, this time taunting with a flirt and she grinned as a light blush past over her cheeks. Maybe not so much at the flirt, as she enjoyed the attention but she realized who she was charming here and who she was sparring – her student. He had to learn about weapons, about forms and strikes and parry. She moved away a bit, just a few steps and let the air reach him as he rose back to his feet.

“Okay, I am ready for more, he said and Lyv nodded, “Are you sure?” and she fended another blow off, he was growing weary perhaps from the pain as she knew he was hurt. It was difficult for Lyv to assess what was the best course of action. She could be the smart tutor and stop now, send him to the Infirmary for Healing and allow him to rest up after this tiring day. Yet, something told her that he would not rest, that he might be offended if she stopped now and not allow him to give all that he had. And also, she was curious to see how far she could push this young man before he gave in himself, if he ever would? They entered a new round and Lyv could feel the strain in her shoulder where one of his blows had hit home and where her movements had become more strained and with her arms more pressed against her body.

“Once more with feeling,” Lyv said barely audible and danced around the apprentice who gave her little to no leeway and despite his injuries kept fighting back, he found a weakness that Lyv let slip for a brief second and her thigh caught the blow meant for her left knee. Another strike and one of his weapons was tossed in the air, she fended off another blow with her quarterstaff and then said, “I am not sure that you will ever quit, that you have a point where you give up but this is where I call the match ended,” Lyv considered training him more on the topic of chosing his battles. Where do you give all that you have and where do you give a bit less and spare yourself, the recovery is something that is part of training as much as is the endurance during training.

They settled for a bit against the fence and Lyv handed Arturus her water skin, taking a sip and then telling him that he had done well. “You do surprise me Arturus, I have trained many different personalities and yours is a new one for me,” a grin appeared on her lips. “Can you tell me a bit about your tactics?” she was wondering how had found the spar and what he had learnt, or but she was more curious to hear what he found his own strengths and weaknesses to be.

"My tactics?" he answered after a sip of water. He shook his head. "Not much there. I start with parrys and blocks to test the strength of my opponent, I find where the best place I know my strength and speed can take advantage and I surprise them with it. I know I am stronger and faster than most, my father oversees the training of the armies of Andor and he said so himself. But if that doesnt work than if any distance comes between myself and my opponent I use throwing daggers with my left hand. I have been playing with throwing daggers for as long as I can remember and my father made me learn to do it with my off hand for that reason. If that fails I can be dirty and use dirt from the ground which I sweep with the tip of the blade into the opponent's eyes or maybe a taunt to make emotion rule their actions."

He took another sip and handed the skin back to Lyv.

"I was going to try making a false opening to see if you could be lured in but never got a chance. I wouldnt be good at it anyways. Nor would it have done me any good since I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. I dont have too many options. I am not good at feints or swinging the sword by any stretch. I cant parry or block well so I tend to want to dodge when I should parry or block. I am really... not that good at any of this..."

Arturus lowered his head. He knew he had a lot of work ahead of him.

“Knowing your strenghts and weaknesses is the first great step to improving your skill, if you trust in yourself that you can learn, you’re halfway there,” Lyv said and then rose back to her feet. “Come on, I have something to show you,” and she waited before he scrambled to his feet and as they dusted off their breeches they started to walk towards the training grounds. There were Aes Sedai training with weapons there, Green Sisters who were training for a rank in the Ajah, as part of their work in the Ajah. They had to learn all about forms and weapon strength before they were considered a rank in the Ajah. “There are Aes Sedai who are in the beginning of their training for their Ajah’s military rank,” she showed him a spot from where they could look. “They cannot rely on just hteir One Power score, but also need to rely on tactics, weapon abilities and defense strategies.”

“You see, the reason I am showing you is that these Sisters are full Aes Sedai, they have talent and skill with the One Power and probably have some basic handling of swords, they were chosen for the Green Ajah long before they were certain themselves and trained towards that. But still, they have to learn a new skill and they can use what they know to improve on what they learn.” She looked back at Arturus, “Just like an Aes Sedai with many years of training behind her, you too have training behind you and you too have something new to learn. You know what you can do with the weapons you have and I know what new things I can teach you, just remember that everyone has to learn at some point, nobody starts out as the best, they endure long hours of training and accept where they are,” she took her dagger out and showed the handmade hilt and the silvery metal that looked nice but moreover, was incredible sharp and of a strength that held the blade strong even in fervent use.

“I got this from a tutor of mine and I want you to have it, it has the crest of the White Tower, the sign of the Amyrlin Seat herself and I want you to earn its strength by wielding it in training, in spar and whenever else you may need it,” it felt good to be teaching again, Lyv thought as they watched the Greens a bit longer. They were advanced students, one could easily tell as they were flowing through the forms like water in the river. Lyv recognized one of them from a training she had done for a few Blue and Green Sisters and nodded as the woman noticed her. They were too busy to stop and greet now, so Lyv gave her student a soft nudge. “Let’s call it day, Arturus,” she said and ended that day’s training session.

Lyv Tylin