DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your favourite wheel of time book?

slynese

• RP - PLAYER

Is difficult for me to say, I have no idea what happens in each book. I even find extremely awkward to work out the initialisms used for the book titles on the forum (yes, even though the forum explains them, I've only been here a week, somethings will take time).

The beginning of the Aiel story through tDR and tSR, is great and I think probably is the part of the story that carries much of the rest of the plot. An awful lot of the plotlines are ultimately disappointing taken on their own, imo,  it is them taken together that makes the book the masterpiece it is. 

Though if I must choose, I would go for the tEotW. The subtle way the story is spun out, really drew me in, with the background being laid down by unreliable narration, and the emphasis on the breaking and the past, that for at least (maybe I am slow) not apparent what the main plot line was, and your understanding evolves organically as you progress. I think it may have been stronger if the book had kept some of this haziness about the past, the Aes Sedai etc., really seemed to have far too much knowledge about the past, even down to biographical information about the Forsaken. It could have made the world seem more real, and would be a greater contrast to sources of knowledge directly out of the AoL, or the surviving Ogier accounts, etc.

Especially as this should have been a chosen one to save the world trope, I am still amazed by it, how such a story line can be presented subtly. Thinking about it, this is something that the show could never do - it had to layout the essence in a press release to sell it to potential viewers, the plot boiled down to one line, hence the whoisit of season 1, and possibly why season 1 so far seems so much weaker than season 2.