DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

We are (probably) getting a Season 3

Chivalry

2 minutes ago, JeffTheWoodlandElf said:

Yeah but the majority of the 10/10 reviews were also left by book fans... and Amazon bots. So we've reached an impasse. 

Amazon Bots? What do you mean by that? Ultimately, as I stated in my post looking at @MatsPips analysis - a lot of the 1* reviews are left claiming points that aren’t even relevant or true.

20 hours ago, Terry05 said:

But...but... the 7.2 imdb rating... how is this possible /s ???

I'd be more concerned with how the show is jumping off a cliff in popularity. Just in the last day, WoT has dropped 21 spots on imdb's list of popular TV (down to 70). And that's on the back of another 20+ point drop last week. Compare that to The Witcher which only saw an 11 spot drop and is still at 22.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/tvmeter/?ref_=tt_ov_pop

1 hour ago, Andra said:

Which would also mean that any property that had any pre-existing fan sites (like this one) would have the deck stacked in their favor.

Do you know of a link to how they calculate their scores?  Because the only thing I could find that specifies a difference from conventional ratings is their statement that they limit their scores to the first thirty days after the premiere.

Their methodology is....nebulous to say the least.

What is Demand? | Parrot Analytics Help Center

They don't measure viewership - they measure online engagement and demand, i.e., how much was the show talked about on social media, and try to correlate it as some metric of demand. The issue: its biased towards shows that have a weekly release, which create longer timeframes for online engagement. Also you'll notice they place Arcane in front of Squid Game, so they're clearly not measuring viewership.

Tldr; Parrot Analytics measures stuff like whether the name is being searched for on Google and (primarily) online chatter - including the negative kind.

On a side note; there was a pretty huge and humorous thread on r/television regarding these stats, with the overwhelming majority of top responses being something along the lines of "how?" or "it was meh".

6 minutes ago, Rmp said:

On a side note; there was a pretty huge and humorous thread on r/television regarding these stats, with the overwhelming majority of top responses being something along the lines of "how?" or "it was meh".

I posted about this thread the other day. For all that's been said about how toxic fans have tanked the imdb/metacritic score, one look at a more casual community and it's immediately clear that the show left almost no impression on anyone who watched it. If any score is underrepresented, it's all the 5/10 reviews that people were too apathetic to write. 

13 minutes ago, JeffTheWoodlandElf said:

I'd be more concerned with how the show is jumping off a cliff in popularity. Just in the last day, WoT has dropped 21 spots on imdb's list of popular TV (down to 70). And that's on the back of another 20+ point drop last week. Compare that to The Witcher which only saw an 11 spot drop and is still at 22.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/tvmeter/?ref_=tt_ov_pop

I'll admit that I myself am deeply skeptical of most of the metrics that Amazon/WoTshow are constantly throwing up. Personally I think the shows sucess was largely built upon fandom hype and an unprecedented marketing campaign.

The only true "tell" (lol) we'll get is how season 2 goes - if it really impressed a large group of new fans, and the critical members of the WoTbook fandom are really just a "loud minority", it'll replicate or surpass the sucess  of season 1. 

From what I can gather from in person anecdotes and observation of various communities online, alot of people who watched it weren't impressed, and a fair amount of the shows goodwill in the community has been burned. If the first few episodes of season 2 don't knock it out of the park, its gonna get rough IMO.

7 minutes ago, Rmp said:

Their methodology is....nebulous to say the least.

What is Demand? | Parrot Analytics Help Center

They don't measure viewership - they measure online engagement and demand, i.e., how much was the show talked about on social media, and try to correlate it as some metric of demand. The issue: its biased towards shows that have a weekly release, which create longer timeframes for online engagement. Also you'll notice they place Arcane in front of Squid Game, so they're clearly not measuring viewership.

Tldr; Parrot Analytics measures stuff like whether the name is being searched for on Google and (primarily) online chatter - including the negative kind.

So "Demand" = "Buzz."

Which in the streaming world doesn't translate to $.

5 minutes ago, JeffTheWoodlandElf said:

I posted about this thread the other day. For all that's been said about how toxic fans have tanked the imdb/metacritic score, one look at a more casual community and it's immediately clear that the show left almost no impression on anyone who watched it. If any score is underrepresented, it's all the 5/10 reviews that people were too apathetic to write. 

It has been interesting observing people outside the WoT fandom and cloistered online communities react. Pretty much anytime new content comes out regarding the upcoming LOTR show, at least half the reactions seem to be something along the lines of, "Please please don't be like WoT."

3 minutes ago, Andra said:

So "Demand" = "Buzz."

Which in the streaming world doesn't translate to $.

So the show undeniably did well in terms of initial viewership - as I mentioned in another comment, between fandom hype, availability of Amazon Prime, and a huge marketing push, it's not surprising at all.

But there was a lot of "buzz" about The Rise of Skywalker. And....yeah. 

We can all sling various stats, figures, anecdotes, and personal opinions on the show all day long - the only true deciding factor it the overall performance and reception of season 2 when we get it. The show won't be able to rely as heavily on book fandom good will this time around, the quality of the first 2-3 episodes will probably decide the future of the show IMO.

22 minutes ago, Rmp said:

So the show undeniably did well in terms of initial viewership - as I mentioned in another comment, between fandom hype, availability of Amazon Prime, and a huge marketing push, it's not surprising at all.

But there was a lot of "buzz" about The Rise of Skywalker. And....yeah. 

We can all sling various stats, figures, anecdotes, and personal opinions on the show all day long - the only true deciding factor it the overall performance and reception of season 2 when we get it. The show won't be able to rely as heavily on book fandom good will this time around, the quality of the first 2-3 episodes will probably decide the future of the show IMO.

Absolutely.