DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gump 2: Peas and Carrots

Emperor

Guest Emperor

Not the actual title...

Just when thought it was safe to go back to the South, word seems to be that everybody’s favorite accidentally famous Alabaman is returning to the big screen. That’s right, the Forrest Gump sequel might actually happen after all.

The script was written years ago by Eric Roth, who also scripted the original, and is based on the sequel novel Gump & Co. by Winston Groom. The script has been sitting in a file in some movie mogul’s office for the last decade and change, but has apparently been dusted off and shown the sun in recent weeks.

Gump & Co. takes place in the 1980s and 1990s with Gump a single, unemployed father following the collapse of Bubba Gump Shrimp and his long-time love Jenny’s death. Once again, Gump will find himself stumbling into famous people and events that marked the later quarter of the 20 Century.

Forrest Gump producers Steve Tisch and Wendy Finerman are heading up the project once again. Reports are that Tisch and Finerman are in talks with both Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise about returning to their roles.

You know, when I think back about that movie the only thing that usually comes to mind are all the stupid catchphrases that have become so freakin' cliche.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

"Like peas and carrots."

"Run, Forrest! Run!"

And, of course, "Life is like a box of chocolates."

I typically just roll my eyes and convince myself that the movie was nothing but hype.

But then, every four or five years I actually watch the damn thing...and find myself completely engrossed and bawling like Empy at a John Tesh concert.

Go figure.

Not that I'm saying a sequel movie is necessarily a good idea. It would be very difficult to recapture the magic of the first film...particularly if they can't score Hanks and Senise.

Guest Yveva

Dm HATES me today!!!! I keep writing posts and having them eaten when I click submit :P

Anyhow, what I was going to say is that the books are very different from the screenplay, now I want to reread them to be reminded of just what those differences were.

And I love that movie. But I bought it several years ago and I haven't watched it since...

Guest Yveva

here's my mental comparison.

Bridget Jones' Diary (1) the book was weirder than the movie, but both book and movie were good.

Bridget Jones Edge of Reason, based on a weirder book than the first one, and the movie suffered in trying to stick with the books without getting too weird... it just didn't translate.

I'd think a Forest Gump 2 would have a similar problem.

Archived