DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RECIPE EXCHANGE - Side Dishes

kutie_pie

Post anything you would make with a main meal, such as potatoes, rice, pasta, vegitables etc.

This is my favourite rice recipe its a modified version of one I found in a recipe book a long time ago(have no idea which one).

Fried Rice

2 cups rice

4 cups water

salt (optional)

oil

Frozen veggies

Soy sauce(use as much or as little as you want)

2 eggs

Cook the rice, ahead, as you normally would(combine the rice, water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes).

Put the rice in the fridge to cool it off.

In a wok(or a large frying pan) heat some oil, add the rice and break up any large pieces. fry up the rice. Add frozen veggies and soy sauce. cover and let cook until veggies are cooked, stir occasionally.

make a "hole" in the rice mixture, and break the eggs into it. scramble the eggs util cooked thouroughly and combine with the rice.

Variations:

Make less rice for less people(make the amount of rice you normally would for a meal).

Make the egg before frying the rice and put it in a bowl and add after the veggies are done.

This recipe comes from the Kosher By Design Entertains cookbook. It's addictively good (I never thought I'd hear cauliflower compared to crack, but it happened when a friend of mine tasted these) and I'd imagine it's a great way to get kids to eat vegetables or a healthy snack

Cauliflower Popcorn

2 Heads Cauliflower, cut into medium sized florets, stems discarded

1 tsp Salt

2 tsp Sugar

.25 tsp Onion Powder

.25 tsp Garlic Powder

.5 tsp Paprika

.25-.5 tsp Tumeric

6-8 Tbsp Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients other than the cauliflower florets

Add the cauliflower and toss to coat

Place in a single layer in a large baking pan and roast uncovered 30-35 minutes. (Don't worry if some pieces burn a little - they're very good crispy anyway)

Eat a few before you serve them or make sure they're the last thing you put on the table, or they'll be gone by the time you sit down to eat!

My mother's recipe - unbelievably good

Bourbon Sweet Potatoes

5lb Sweet Potatoes

4 tbsp Margerine

1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar

1 Tbsp Vanilla

.5 tsp Salt

.25 Cup Bourbon

Peel and cut the potatoes into .5 inch slices. Boil the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.

Melt the margerine and add all the other ingredients besides the bourbon and the sweet potatoes, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the bourbon, cook 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens

spray a glass dish (do not use a metal pan) with non-stick spray, add the sweet potatoes and pour the sauce over them.

Bake uncovered at 375 for an hour, basting occasionally

Archived