DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Munsters Reboot

Emperor

I don't know about this....

Director Bryan Singer (“The Usual Suspects,” “Apt Pupil,” “X-Men,” “X2,” “Superman Returns,” “Valkyrie”) has agreed to produce and direct NBC’s new “Munsters” pilot from Bryan Fuller.

Fuller, the creator of “Dead Like Me,” “Wonderfalls” and “Pushing Daisies,” wrote all the best episodes of “Heroes.”

Singer is no stranger to TV either. He directed the pilot for “House” and for his trouble continues to collect a regular paycheck as the executive producer on that series.

If memory serves, the new “Munsters” pilot is for an hourlong series that imagines that Grandpa Munster was long ago the inspiration for Dracula, and Herman Munster was built by Grandpa to court daughter Lily.

At a party I threw about a year ago in Beverly Hills, I remember Harry Knowles pitching 6’5” “Look Around You” mastermind Peter Serafinowicz to play Herman. We'll see if the Bryans heed that advice.

Both are giant Trekkies who have been independently developing separate “Star Trek” TV series, both preparing for the day Paramount decides it might want to get back into the “Star Trek” TV business.

Fuller wrote for “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager” early in his career. Singer played an Enterprise crewman named Kelly in 2002’s “Star Trek; Nemesis.”

Whether “Munsters” goes to series or not, it’d be nice if Fuller and Singer could pool their resources to get a new “Trek” show on the road.

Archived