DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nature of Mat's memories

Silent

I hope that members of the Band could help me discover the true nature of Mat's memories from past lives.

I am sure that there has been some theories about my dilemma, so it would be just as helpful if someone would be kind enough to instruct me where to search for them.

To be more precise, there is a lot of chapters in which Mat expresses his belief that "old" memories were actually memories of other people, planted into his head when he passed through the ter'angreal in Ruiden, to grant one of his three wishes and to replace the gap caused by the dagger from Shadar Logoth. It seems to me that both Robert Jordan and Brian Sanderson more or less indicate that Mat's belief is correct.

However, there are some fact that seem to oppose this theory:

1. When Mat meets Thom in Two Rivers (The Eye of the World) and Thom tells stories, Mat expresses his interest for battles,

2. When Morianne & Company fight trollocs during their escape from Two Rivers, Mat shouts the battle cry of Mantheren,

3. While cured from effects of the dagger from Shadar Logoth in the White Tower, Mat shouts in the Old Tongue,

4. After cured, Mat remembers fighting for Mantheren against trollocs.

5. When Mat entered the ter'angreal in Tear, he didn't need a translator, unlike Morianne and Rand, because he spoke the Old Tongue fluently.

5. All events ad. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 happened much before Mat passed through the ter'angreal in Ruiden. I am sure there are more examples.

It is quite obvious that Mat has already had a considerable grasp to "old" memories" from the very beginning. Therefore, I believe it would be fair to say that Eelfinn actually increased Mat's peculiar ability, but they have not caused it! If so, there must be another explanation for the phenomena. One of the explanations could be that Mat is one of the Heroes of the Horn, so that the "old" memories could be his own memories from past lives. One could say, off course, that other Heroes do not remember their past lives when reborn (as Birgitte claims). In opposition to this theory, it could also be mentioned that Artur Hawkwing, when the Horn was blown, recognized Rand as the Dragon, but not Perrin and Mat. If Mat is not a Hero of the Horn, could his old memories have to do with his ta'veren nature? I mean, Rand also remembers his past life. The same as Mat, he believes that he has another person in his head. Off course, in Mat's case, there are many persons, not just one. But than again, Rand did not have the help of Eelfinn, as Mat did. Please note that before Ruiden, Mat only remembered fighting Trollocs on Mantheren's side and the Old Tongue, so it seems that his natural ability was limited to one person's memories, which would be similar to Rand's case. In favor of this idea, maybe it could be pointed out that Ishamael, both as himself and as Moridin, claims that he has fought Rand many times. If that is true, it could be that both Rand and Mat lived many times, but without help of Eeflinn, Rand could only remember one of those.

I hope that the mystery will be answered in the last book. In a meantime, I would very much appreciate help of other members, especially those from the Band.

P.S. Obviously my nick choice was not so good, as it turns out that I am not so silent :)

I've always thought Mat's memories were of his past lives and the eelfinn simply allowed him access to those memories because Mat wasn't specific enough about what memories he wanted restored. Everyone in the world of wheel of time seems to have lived previous lives but Mat is one of the few who can remember them. But I don't think the eelfinn did it to help him but rather hinder. And in some ways though Mat may have had some echoes of these past lives I doubt he'd have ever remembered half the things he does without the eelfinn's 'help'.

I think its probably a good thing they didn't do the same to Rand as Lews Therin's madness seems to have a strong enough effect on him already without him having perfect recall of him.

Anyway I think most people in the series could probably recall their past lives with eelfinn help. The fact that Mat could do this slightly on a subconscious level could be due the the power of his mantheren ancestory or because he's taveren or it could be just a fluke and perhaps their are hundreds of other people in the world who can also remember fragments of past lives but haven't realised what they are.

Anyway I think most people in the series could probably recall their past lives with eelfinn help. The fact that Mat could do this slightly on a subconscious level could be due the the power of his mantheren ancestry or because he's taveren or it could be just a fluke and perhaps their are hundreds of other people in the world who can also remember fragments of past lives but haven't realised what they are.

I agree with this. But as he did remember fighting on the side of Mantheren, it is probably the union of both being ta'veren and having such a strong ancestry.

And the Eelfinn just amplified it. I don't think there are many other possibilities, really.

Places you can check out for theories is the Book Discussion board here or I know Theoryland (another site) has tons of theories.

Anyway I think most people in the series could probably recall their past lives with eelfinn help. The fact that Mat could do this slightly on a subconscious level could be due the the power of his mantheren ancestry or because he's taveren or it could be just a fluke and perhaps their are hundreds of other people in the world who can also remember fragments of past lives but haven't realised what they are.

I agree with this. But as he did remember fighting on the side of Mantheren, it is probably the union of both being ta'veren and having such a strong ancestry.

And the Eelfinn just amplified it. I don't think there are many other possibilities, really.

This i agree with too..

I think it has everything to do with being ta'veren

Archived