DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Art: Creepy and Creative II 777: Lawn decorations!

Torrie

Welcome to the class everyone. As you are driving around your neighborhoods I am sure that you see the lawn decorations and some of you may wonder: How is that done?

Well I am here to help you out!

I have several patters and how to guides to get your front lawn decorated and ready for all those trick or treaters!

Now we are going to start off with a ghost! I have several other patters that you can work on, curtsy of Lowes, that include Spiders, candy corn, and mummies among other things.

This is your pattern. If you want to make a bigger ghost then head on down to the copy store and enlarge your pattern!

http://images.lowes.com/animate/halloween_decor_ghosts.pdf

Tools

•Jig saw

•Sandpaper

•Hammer

•Dust mask

•Goggles

•Hearing protection

Materials

•Artist's brush

•Carbon paper

•Wooden stakes

•Finish nails

•1/4" ACX or BCX  plywood

•Paint 

Cutting the pattern

1. Place a piece of carbon paper over the plywood. Lay the pattern over the carbon paper and trace all the lines. Be sure to press hard so the pattern transfers to the plywood.

Good idea:  If you've had the patterns enlarged, you may need to place several sheets of carbon paper between the pltwood and the pattern.

2. Use a jigsaw to cut the plywood along the pattern's edge.

3. Smooth the edges with sandpaper.

I have never used the carbon paper either. I traced it like you said but I figured it would be nice to put in here.

Ok and the last few steps:

4.Nail the pattern to a stake.

5.Paint your decoration using the detail lines and color recommendations from the pattern. (of course if you wanted to paint it differnt colors, feel free)

6.Allow the decoration to dry and then stake it in the yard.

Cutting and Pasting!

Step 1:

Print out the Halloween skeleton craft template shown or use it as a guide to create your own. Allow the ink to dry. Spread craft glue across the unfinished side of a cereal box or old gift box with a scraper or use a glue stick. Attach the parts of the skeleton to the chipboard and smooth the paper with your hands. (All these images need to be enlarged.)

46291_65x95_aspect.jpg46295_65x95_aspect.jpg46296_65x95_aspect.jpg46297_65x95_aspect.jpg

Step 2:

Cut the parts of the skeleton out with scissors, noting which part it is on the back side. Place the skeleton's pieces on a clean, clear workspace. Use a hole punch to make a hole in each place where you see a black dot.

Step 3

Attach the head of the skeleton to the ribcage with a brass fastener. Place the round, flat end of the fastener on the front of the skeleton, and put the tabs on the back. Ensure that the fastener is loose enough to hold the pieces together, but not so tight that they can't move freely.

Step 4

Attach each upper arm bone to the shoulder joints. Attach the lower arms to the upper arm bones at the elbow, pointing the thumb bones inward. If they're pointing outward, switch the lower right arm bone with the left. Attach the top portion of the skeleton's pelvis to the lower part of the ribcage.

Funny Story... our Art teacher just used this very same pattern for my kids. She'd actually found it to do with the 5th graders who are doing the bones in the body right now, so she just altered it to fit Art for everyone else. *smirks* Small world...

That is odd. I was hopeing to find the one the Twinny was talking about but I could not find it. I will have to get the pattern from her. It sounds like a ton of fun to make and I am sure the girls will love it!

I bought one of the ones that I am giving the intructions for a few years back. If I had realized how easy it is to make I would have saved some money and done it myself. lol

Ok on to the last steps:

Step 5:

Secure the upper thigh bones to the holes in the lower part of the hip bone. Make sure that the top part of the hip bones are pointing inward. Attach the skeleton's lower leg bones to the upper bones at the knee joint, feet pointing out.

Step 6:

Attach the kneecaps over the brass fasteners at the joint between the upper and lower leg bones. Use hot glue for a more secure bond.

Step 7:

Tape the finished skeleton to a door, wall or window for display. Pose the skeleton by securing his bones in place with tape. Make a loop out of the tape and attach it to the back of the skeleton.

Archived