DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Netflix, not just for Xbox anymore?

Emperor

A job listing noted by Gamasutra suggests that Netflix is expanding its streaming-to-consoles service to new platforms.

Netflix is looking for a high-level engineering leader with "deep experience developing and testing media rich applications on current generation gaming consoles." Candidates should "Expect to help build a small technology team to rapidly prototype and iterate on a variety of platforms."

So it appears Netflix is at least exploring the idea of streaming Netflix movies and TV shows to the PS3 and Wii. Whether any kind of plan or deal is in place remains to be seen, but given the success of Netflix on the 360 (over one million Xbox Live Gold subscribers have used Netflix' application since it launched in November 2008, and users have watched 1.5 billion minutes of Netflix) I would be surprised if it wasn't in the works.

Streaming Netflix straight to your TV has, for me, been all but flawless. My only gripe is that there just isn't enough content available. But still, "some" is better than "none," and I hope the service expands to the PS3 and/or Wii.

Think about this: If Netflix streams to the PlayStation 3, but doesn't charge any more than you pay for regular Netflix now, and you didn't need to pay Sony any kind of extra fee, it could change a lot of people's minds about which console to buy. Yeah, that's a lot of speculation, but it could happen.

Archived