DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Getting started, from the bottom up. (attn sangreal)

Belig was wandering the warder yards, wondering what to do now. I got here, now I just need to figure out what I have to do to advance... Belig looked over to the line of trainees doing push ups, sit ups and other exercises.I guess i could use to get into shape... but where to start?  "Blast it! I hate not knowing!"

Sandre was just setting up for a class. Looking at the rack he had brought out with iron rods and leather straps with buckles and round iron weights it looked more like he had planned to build something than teach a class but he gave very precise instructions on where to meet... then it occurred to him that when he was a trainee he didnt know where anything was at either. Well they had to learn, and if they were late well, they would learn from that too.

There was a lot to teach so if his entire class was not bright enough to ask where his class was going to be held there would be the pit of doom to pay for that one. It was suppose to be small. He believed it since he only saw one lost looking trainee who had not yet asked anyone. Folding his arms and looking like the guy was tromping through his garden Sandre gave him a look that could kill. How long would it take him to figure this out?

OOC I believe we are waiting on one other... maybe two.

Llewelyn was pacing the training grounds looking around to see if a class was about to begin where someone as inexperienced as he could participate. He still lacked most of the basics that would allow anyone to train daily on his own. The lad remembered the notice posted in that common room informing Sandre would be holding his very first class this morning somewhere around this parts.

He noticed Sandre that was standing next to a rack with... - Llewelyn wasn't sure what it was exactly - heavy looking utensils of some sort on it. The boy hadn't spent much time with the newly raised Tower Guard but he could still recognise him on the first glance since he had seen him along Elyan and Edana more than just a few times.

Sandre seemed ready to kill as he glared at some other trainee who looked lost. Before this escalated in a bloodshed, Llewelyn appeared at the trainee's side and greeted him : "Howdy there ! I'm betting that you're a new trainee like me. I'm Llewelyn Naese by the way, and I guess you're looking for some place to start training. Well follow me !" he said cheerfully as he headed toward Sandre.

Llewelyn wasn't sure whether he should act as if Sandre was still sleeping in the bedroom next to his or if he should address him with the due respect for a Tower Guard. He doubted Sandre would send him to Thera's office if he wasn't respectful enough, but as newly raised in his rank, surely Sandre needed to assert his authority. Thus Llewelyn decided to play it safe in front of a yet unknown trainee : "Good morning, Sir. I am here to attend the training," he said in an almost military fashion.

The boy glanced backward to the if the other trainee was following behind him.

"Howdy there ! I'm betting that you're a new trainee like me. I'm Llewelyn Naese by the way, and I guess you're looking for some place to start training. Well follow me !"

Belig was taken aback by the sudden entry of this young boy into his personal space. Llewelyn had popped in and then left in such a rush, Belig could tell there was a sense of urgency to move toward the man carrying the heavy equipment. He must be the instructor I read about this morning... But why does he look so agitated?  Belig pushed the thought from his mind and followed Llewelyn towards the man and waited for Llewelyn to finish his introduction.

"Sir, Belig Zu'Katsu reporting for training sir!" Belig said as he snapped into his salute.  "What are your orders sir?"

"Sir, Belig Zu'Katsu reporting for training sir!" Belig said as he snapped into his salute.  "What are your orders sir?"

Sandre nodded. "First and foremost Trainee Belig ask directions if you dont know where to go. No instructor here will tolerate tardiness. Fall into line."

Sandre looked at the class... if it could be called that. It was all of two students. Well that was much more to his taste. These two would hate him when it was done but he wasnt going to settle for anything less than two trainees who will only need to concentrate on their academics.

"I am Sandre Kaldun and for the next week or so I will give you the exercises you will be using as a foundation of your training. While you may pick up more as you go along what I will give you is the Towers minimum daily requirements and a few more. You should appreciate the extras Belig, they are from your homeland." He said as he paced back and forth.

"From this day forward when practicing forms for your weapons you will do so with a weighted iron rod sized and shaped to be similar to your own weapons." He said as he motioned to the rack behind him. "Pick one heavier than your own weapon and heavy enough that you can barely handle it but still perform your weapon forms correctly."

He stopped pacing and motioned towards the straps and weights. "These go on your biceps and a second set above the knees. The weights will make it hard to move but remember that in this class and the rest of your lives WE DO NOT JOG!" The last he emphasized with his finger pointing at them in a stabbing motion and a stern voice that said he meant it. "You run as fast as you can or you walk." Stepping out of their way he walked over to the rack and motioned for them to choose their rods and weights as he himself began to strap on weights.

OOC Go nuts guys. Grab a rod and strap on some weights and go ahead and have your characters move around and try it out.

Belig listened with intense curiosity as Sandre gave out his instructions and filed the information to the back of his mind. Shouldn't be too hard, I did this before when father trained me... but where the weights so large back then? Bah! who cares?

Belig went over to the rack and looked through the chest and thigh weights and selected a set that weighed about his own weight. Light enough for me to maneuver and run in, and heavy enough to give me a proper work out.  Belig strapped each weight on with careful precision, remembering what his father had taught him in his few weeks of training.  Strap them on tight so they don't swing around and cause you to lose balance. If you ever have armor like that in a battle you might as well go in with nothing on at all.

Belig then looked over the iron rods and selected one that weighed about twice as much as the normal one handed longsword he was used to training with. then a thought occurred to him.

"sir, if I may ask; I was trained in the use of a sword and shield for a bit. Not a complete training but a start. Do you want me to use a second rod to set as a shield weight or are we working two handed forms?"

Llewelyn paid close attention to Sandre's instructions. But his focus was shattered and he had to try as hard as he could not to laugh at the "WE DO NOT JOG" sentence, he hardly managed to shrug it off with a wide grin. So, yes ! Jogging are for pussies and Warders are not ! Pussies, that is... Llewelyn allowed himself to think it was the kind of attitude typical to Sandre, or at least what the boy had learned about him from Elyan and Edana.

But his grin was soon wiped off his face as he didn't know where to start with the provided equipment. He was inwardly thankful to Belig who quickly advanced toward the rack and began strapping tightly the iron weighs around different parts of his body with an ease that indicated his experience in handling those. Llewelyn observed him before trying to mimic his gestures. He wasn't sure whether he had chosen weighs adapted to his own strength, he just tried to choose whatever felt heavy in his hands before fixing it on himself.

After having covered every limb with iron strappings, he tried to move a bit to accomodate, but of course, his movements were hampered and he felt as if he was climbing a steep slope with each step. Would he even be able to battle in such condition ? He clumsily hobbled to seize an iron rod on the rack, heavier than his usual sword as Sandre had instructed. Already sweat was dripping from his back.

Light ! This training would be hard but most effective, Llewelyn could already tell.

He just kept on walking around, swinging his iron rod from time to time until further instructions.

(OOC : I may be going beyond the boundaries of PG-13 rules with that first paragraph, PM me about it and I'll edit this part)

Sandre watched as they strapped on the weights and chose a rod the suited them. After everyone was weighted Belig approached him with a question.

"sir, if I may ask; I was trained in the use of a sword and shield for a bit. Not a complete training but a start. Do you want me to use a second rod to set as a shield weight or are we working two handed forms?" Belig said.

Sandre considered it a moment before answering by walking over to the wrack and picking up a small but heavy weight. He had to make sure it was heavy enough before he handed it to Belig. "Keep this in hand if you wish to simulate the handle and weight of a shield."

When everything was adjusted properly and Sandre made sure to help Llewelyn with the straps he announced. "Ok lets start with a run to the river. If you feel you can not run any more walk, no jogging. The impact is unnatural and will destroy your knees." Sandre pointed a certain direction and continued his instructions "Run that way. You should see an few large boulders and brush in one area. Thats where we are going. I will catch up in a moment after I get some trainees to put away the training equipment left over."

He watched as the two set out at a run. They wouldnt last long in those weights and carrying the rods to simulate running with their weapons. However it was as close to the experience of moving in weapons and armor they would get until they had to start carrying both regularly and it was good exercise besides.

OOC I laughed at that actually. I never heard a girl talk like that even when shes RPing a guy. Feel free to go ahead and decide how much running your characters can take like this. You can be a strong runner or not its up to you.

"Ok lets start with a run to the river. If you feel you can not run any more walk, no jogging. The impact is unnatural and will destroy your knees." Sandre pointed a certain direction and continued his instructions "Run that way. You should see an few large boulders and brush in one area. Thats where we are going. I will catch up in a moment after I get some trainees to put away the training equipment left over."

Belig started running in the direction Sandre pointed to. Running as fast as he can he felt glad he made sure to strap down the weights tight to his body. Belig kept on running as long and hard as he could, losing Llewlyn after the first five minutes or so. I remember when i first started this... it was difficult, and it still is. I hope Llewlyn doesn't tip over though... it's rather hard to get up after falling forward if I recall... Belig pushed the thought from his mind and pushed on. controlling his breathing and maintaining his pace. "One, Two, Three, Four. one two three four." Belig made it to about the top of the hill after running for about half an hour and finally came to a walk. "*huff* well... *huff*  not as far *huff* as I wanted to *huff* go. *huff* but it'll do for today."

In truth Beligs legs were freaking killing him, and felt like they'd go out from under him at any moment, but he wasn't going to admit it. He kept trudging forward ignoring the pain as best as he could. He finally made it to the river about ten minutes after he had finished his dead run and then turned around and begun his long walk back to the white city.

Llewelyn listened again to Sandre's instructions as to where they were headed. So there is indeed a rational reason for the no jogging order ! he thought, surprised.

And as he was ordered to, he started running as fast as he could in the pointed direction, but it was far from easy as he still wasn't accustomed to the weighs that felt unnatural on his body thus his movements were frantics and his stride wasn't steady nor balanced. Besides he had to watch with every step he would not tip over as he sensed he was dangerously close to definetely lose his balance and fall flat on his back. But he gave it his all anyway. He had to walk some way, though, to catch his breath because his muscles felt sore and the exercise was rough on his still growing body.

While he walked he noticed that he couldn't see Belig ahead anymore. Llewelyn remembered Sandre had said the weighs came from the Shienarian's country, and he had probably trained with those seeing as he didn't so much as break a sweat.

Llewelyn had finally managed to somehow steady his breathing, so he decided he would give running another go, but his muscles burned and ached all over as he started, it felt even worse than when he had stopped to walk. Yet he tried to surpass the pain and move forward.

After some time, it didn't burn as much and he noticed he was more comfortable with the weighs but now it was his throat that started to burn as thirst was the natural reaction to the sweating...

Llewelyn felt he could cry of relief when he finally spotted Belig near the riverbank and the designed rocky formation, but he held it in and just hurled himself to the riverbank to plunge his head in the cold and refreshing water. After his first burst of frenzy, he quieted down and formed a bowl with his hands to drink from the river and sooth his burning throat, but he was careful not to drink more than needed as it would make his belly heavier. After some tricky moves, he finally managed to stand up on his feet and began stretching his sore muscles while waiting for Sandre. He asked Belig for some help and they both ended doing some stretching exercises.

"So, if I understood it right, those are made in Shienar ?" he asked Belig pointing at the iron weighs, in an attempt to establish dialogue and satisfy his never-ending curiosity. "And I can see you've already trained with those ! What are you ? A son of soldier ? Wouldn't be surprising from a Shienarian..." he said with a grin, his tilted eyes becoming no more than slits whenever he was smiling.

"So, if I understood it right, those are made in Shienar ?" Llewelyn asked Belig pointing at the iron weighs "And I can see you've already trained with those ! What are you ? A son of soldier ? Wouldn't be surprising from a Shienarian..."

Belig smiled a bit and nodded. "yea these are made in shienar to help train soldiers to maintain balance and endurance in suits of armor as well as a good way to build up the strength in the legs and arms. And yes, I am a son of a soldier. My father was a pretty strong warrior, but it was my eldest brother who taught me and trained me in the ways of the shield."

Belig took a good look at Llewelyn, noting that the weights seemed to be still pretty awkward. "You adapt pretty fast. The weights you chose probably are a bit too heavy and by far are two loose. How did you avoid falling over?"

Sandre approached and saw the two talking. They had got there faster than he expected. He had a few more things in mind before they hopped in the water but they would find the chilly waters a blessing by the time they did. "Alright guys lets get back to this."

He took them through some standard situps and pushups. On the push ups he explained the purpose of using powerful pushes as opposed to slow and steady. "It will increase your ability to swing faster and harder. You likely wont notice anything out of the ordinary for a couple years then one day realize that you severely beat your fellow trainees in your ability to swing fast and hit hard."

He introduced them to a new exercise of going to a squat and jumping up and landing back in a squat to work on balance which was harder with the weights on. It would also give them fast legs.

By the time it was done both were exhausted and Sandre himself was winded. He then stripped off his weights and told the others to do the same. He removed his boots and took the iron rod into the water. He allowed them to cool off in it a few minutes and talk before the next exercise.

Llewelyn grinned when he heard he was right about Belig being the son of a soldier, and brother to another... "When you meet a Shienarian, either he's trained in the ways of war himself or his family is, but most of the time, both of these facts apply." as his father told him. Llewelyn himself felt lucky he was born in Saldaea : it was one of the Borderland country, participating in the never ending struggle against the Dark One and maintaining the other countries safe from waves after waves of Trollocs. Yet, Saldaea was different from Shienar constantly under attack, it was much more quieter.

When Belig asked how he managed not to fall over and pointed out his weights as too loose or too heavy, Llewelyn checked it out by himself and Belig was right : appart from the straps Sandre had helped him with, the others were not strapped tight enough, thus he began tightening the loose one and answered Belig with an "It was freaking hard and I had to focus all on the way here on my balance but I guess I never tipped over. I walked from time to time though."

And as he was saying that, Sandre arrived right behind them. Llewelyn honestly thought that he wouldn't have made it to the river before Sandre, even as he was given extra time. Sandre probably had a hard time finding someone to help him with the remaining materials. Most of the trainees were fleeing the Tower Guards they were not in training with in case they would be alloted more work than necessary. It was still weird seeing as Sandre had only been recently promoted and he was well acquainted with most of the current trainees.

And their training kept on with pushups and situps that left again Llewelyn with a striking disadvantage, seeing as he had only practiced those to brag in front of Shera and to show her how much stronger men were than women, after which she pouted for a whole week and he even had to present his excuses, for some reasons that eluded him but he had managed to lighten her mood by doing so. Thus pushups and situps were, once again, not his forte while he was accompanied by a TG and a soldier in crib. Still, he once again gave his best, huffing and puffing as it was getting harder and harder with the weights on, sweating buckets after buckets.

When he could no more and sensed his limbs would yield beneath him, he just stopped for some time, hopping not to be yelled at, rested a little before starting again.

With the squatting and jumping exercise, he was at dismay seeing his jump was so low even as he tried his hardest. The constant pressure of the weights and the long time of training were starting to take their toll as he had to pause more and more frequently.

When they finally stopped, Llewelyn noticed he wasn't the only one exhausted, which comforted him somehow. And he would have jumped in joy when Sandre announced they could take off the weights, but he hadn't enough strength left to do that. Or so he thought, when he managed to get all of the straps off his body, the sensation of lightness was amazing. But he already knew it wouldn't last... Again he went to the riverbank and took a sip of clear water as he thought it important to maintain himself well hydrated in such conditions. And he stretched again as he knew it would make it easier for the next exercise and he would be able to get out of his bed the next morning without getting killed by soreness.

Belig went through each exercise that sandre ordered without complaint. The push ups and sit ups were natural to him as he did 100 each night before bed and 100 after he wakes. The jumping exercise caught him a bit off guard though. Jumping wasn't a exercise the Belig often, mainly because a shield man doesn't jump because the shield would throw them off balance.

Bloody blazes! my legs are killing me... thought Belig as the training continued. Suddenly as though the thought beckoned misfortune, Belig lost focus on his balancing act between the rod for his shield and the one for his sword and landed hard on his left foot throwing him off balance, and naturally he fell with a loud "OOMPH!" He could tell Sandre was chuckling at his mistake. Belig got back up without needing help, but he still felt embarrassed at the fact he fell. Light, I am out of shape. Belig focused and completed the remaining jumping required and then joined Llewelyn by the river for a drink.

"You did surprisingly well considering it's your first time in those weights. See how keeping the weights tight to the body help?"

The cold water felt great. However the two trainees seemed a little reluctant to get in the water. "Get in the water guys. Bring the rods." The current was not swift in this part of the river which is why he chose it.

"Ok here is what we do. Your going to practice swinging the rods against the current. Go as fast as you can without doing the technique wrong. The point of this is to work on a different set of muscles which again affects speed and power."

It was a little more relaxing than the usual work outs. He made only minor corrections. The cold water made it all rather refreshing for him at least.

"After this we will swim... against the current. The further you go up stream the more difficult it will become as the speed of the current increases. I will be behind you in case you push yourself too far."

Belig had met with Llewelyn by the river to take a sip as well. "You did surprisingly well considering it's your first time in those weights. See how keeping the weights tight to the body help?" at which Llewelyn answered with a grin : "It sure does, but it still ain't easy at all ! But since you're complimenting me, I guess I'm stronger than I look !"

He was cut off when Sandre suddenly jumped in the river with the iron rod he had brought with him. The boy stared at him, wondering what he was up to, when he asked the two youngsters to do the same. Llewelyn got is rod on the grass before he slided into the water more than he jumped in it. It was icy cold and after the first shock of the difference in temperature, it sure felt refreshing on Llewelyn's sweating body. Again, he listened to Sandre's instructions before complying. He swung the rod as fast and as hard as he could for he knew his body temperature would drop if he didn't work out quickly. It wasn't too tiring as the current wasn't very strong in this part of the river. And he managed to swing the rod again and again until he was told to stop without having to pause : a first until then.

Llewelyn winced when he was told to swim upriver for this, he was sure, would exhaust him much more than the previous exercise, and he was pretty sure he hadn't much more strength left either. Besides, he wasn't much of a swimmer, but he began swimming the crawl nevertheless.

He was slow, very slow. But it was the only way he could last a fair distance.

After some time, Llewelyn noticed his swimming didn't take him forward anymore, rather he was at a standstill. He pushed himself to swim faster, decreasing his stamina little by little but swimming forward again. At some point though, he had to cling on a root bulging from the riverside to catch his breath. He hadn't made much progress but Tar Valon was far behind him already. Llewelyn glanced around to see if either of his companions were in sight.

Belig jumped into the water, or rather he fell in. His legs were not cooperating still after his bought of jumping. As the cool water touched his legs he felt the soothing cold tighten up his muscles as they contracted to preserve heat. He held his iron rods tightly with him and begun to swing each against the current in a alternating patter. right, left, right, left, and again, and again, and again. He did this until ordered to stop and then began to swim forward as fast as he could. I either stop swimming, or swim as fast as i can. there is no in between, Belig thought to himself. swimming hard he kept a good pace with Llewelyn, Llewelyn had stopped only a bit before Belig was forced to, gaining only about 10 yards more. Belig swam to a shallower area and then latched to the bottom of the river using the iron rods, leaving Belig in the middle of the river stretched out straight like a board.

Sandre followed close behind the two. Llewelyn made it safely to the side of the river and Belig decided to just stop. "Come on you two. Lets call this a day. We will walk back and stretch to cool down."

He helped the two out of the river and led them through some stretches before walking back. "I have had you both excused from training tomorrow and put you both on water detail. Its simple, carry a large water skin around the yards for the thirsty trainees. I also arranged specially prepared meals for both of you to get the most out of what you just did. Take the rest of the day to eat as much meat and water as you can and study your academics. Stretch ever hour. I am trusting you both to empty eight water skins every day. I will see you both back at the meeting area in two days."

The two of them would not be able to move tomorrow if they didnt listen. (It may not hurt to check on them.) He was going to save the surprise that they did a work out that would normally be saved for someone who had been here a year until the end of the week.

OOC Check the req, this may be enough. However if you wish to continue I am ok with torturing you both a while longer :)