DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Unexpected Companion (Gianna & Tai'Dashan)

claireducky

Gianna sat in the common room of the River's Crossing Inn, at a table near the front door.  Morning light filtered through the windows, casting squares of light upon the trestle table at which she sat.

She trailed her spoon through the bowl of porridge in front of her.  It was filled with bits of dried fruit and honey, but Gianna hadn't much appetite this morning.  She was starting her ride back to Tar Valon today.  It was disheartening to think that all of these months of searching had yielded nothing in her search for Toram.

Perhaps I should think seriously about going to Cranvall's manor...no matter what my Arches showed.  I am not bonded, after all...so it hardly could play out the same way.

Gianna took a sip of the mulled wine and nibbled on a piece of soft cheese.  She should be going soon, by sitting here she was only prolonging the inevitable.  However, it was nice sitting here and letting her mind wander.  Her horse was already saddled and awaiting her; she could leave when she was ready.

Tai awoke, hardly refreshed but definitely rested. He scrubbed his teeth with salt and soda and dressed in another coat he had brought, this one deep blue with silver embroidery along the cuffs and collar. Running a hand through his wavy hair he gathered his purse from under his pillow and headed down the stairs in search of food.

Halfway down the stairs he spotted Gia at a table near the front door. She was wearing skirts divided for riding and looked ready to head out. He sauntered over to her table feeling especially comfortable at the moment. She glanced up from her seat and a smile played softly across her lips.

"My Lady," He said, bowing. "Mind if I join you before you leave?"

Gianna heard Tai's boots upon the wooden floor as he came downstairs.  He didn't speak as he approached her from behind, and so she pretended not to notice him until he came around to stand by her table.  She looked up at him and couldn't help but smile.  He cut a handsome figure in a dark blue coat with detailed embroidery in silver thread at wrists and neck.  Those ice blue eyes pierced her as always and she had to tear herself away from them.  She thought about the reckless abandon with which she had danced the night before, and a faint blush stained her white cheeks.

"My Lady," He said, bowing. "Mind if I join you before you leave?"

She nodded, holding her tongue before some fool thing came out of her mouth.  Gianna waved a hand at the chair opposite of her, and called the serving woman over to take Tai's orders for breakfast.  That done, Gianna managed to gain enough of her composure back to carry on something resembling normal conversation.

"I trust you are feeling well, this morning, my Lord?  I fear the wine left me with a bit of a headache today, but I have the remedy here for that."  She half-raised the cup of mulled wine in her hand; swirled it slightly.  "Hair of the dog, and all that."  She took another sip of the wine and resumed picking at the crumbs left on her plate.  "Will you be traveling this day as well, Tai'Dashan?  I was unsure how long you were staying in Caemlyn."

She had meant it for idle conversation, and didn't see the more serious look that came into his face for a moment at the mention of travel.

Tai waited for her to nod and wave a hand at the chair opposite her before taking a seat.

"I trust you are feeling well, this morning, my Lord?  I fear the wine left me with a bit of a headache today, but I have the remedy here for that. Hair of the dog, and all that."

Tai hesitated halfway to his chair for a moment before taking the seat. Hair of the dog? His stomach growled as he noticed what was left on her plate. He had not eaten much on his travels to Caemlyn and even less since his arrival.

"Will you be traveling this day as well, Tai'Dashan?  I was unsure how long you were staying in Caemlyn."

Tai thought for a moment how best to answer. He had not told her much of what he was doing here and thank the Light she had not asked. He liked the woman however, she was bold and intelligent, and wanted to help her. He had made up his mind after all.

"My Lady, I came to Caemlyn for a small respite from the mundane day to day of my home." Mundane was most definitely not in it at the Black Tower but in a way it was. "As I told you I do not get out much but decided I needed a change of pace." His eyes found hers quickly as he realized he was gazing blankly about where the neckline of her dress lay. A blush threatened to heat his cheeks and he hurriedly continued. I was going to stay here for a few nights for lack of anything else to do. However I am concerned for your saftey and would sleep much better at night should you allow me to accompany you at least to New Braem." How true the last she would never fully know.

She considered for a moment over her wine before speaking. The serving girl came to take his order of breakfast. Gia waited for her to leave before speaking..

"My Lady, I came to Caemlyn for a small respite from the mundane day to day of my home."

Gianna listened intently.  If his eyes wandered a bit while he spoke, she didn't take any offense to it.  He apparently realized where he was looking, and his eyes shot back up to lock on her face.  "I was going to stay here for a few nights for lack of anything else to do. However I am concerned for your saftey and would sleep much better at night should you allow me to accompany you at least to New Braem."

Her heart tried to fly into her throat and she stomped on it.  It would be pleasant to have his company, true, but that would mean continuing her doe-eyed act.  And it would also mean not channeling a whisker til they parted ways.  She really didn't want to hurt this youth's feelings, either.  She did need him as a contact, and he was handsome, to boot.

If I have to be stuck riding with someone all the way to New Braem, at least he has a pretty face.

She nodded imperceptibly and brought her gaze to rest on Tai.  "It would be my pleasure to have your company, Tai'Dashan.  I feel badly for putting you out and changing your plans, but it would honestly be a relief to have someone to converse with during the ride.  And if we ran afoul of any shady dealers, well, I would appreciate having someone to guard my back."

Gianna slipped a knife out of her dress sleeve and let it fall into her hand.  "But don't think I am completely defenseless, either."

She tipped him a wry wink and rose from her seat. Bouncing the knife lightly in her palm, she headed towards the door.  "Take your time finishing your breakfast, I will see your horse saddled and meet you at the stable when you are ready."  With a final grin over her shoulder, she left the Inn.

"It would be my pleasure to have your company, Tai'Dashan.  I feel badly for putting you out and changing your plans, but it would honestly be a relief to have someone to converse with during the ride.  And if we ran afoul of any shady dealers, well, I would appreciate having someone to guard my back."

Tai grinned in spite of himself. If she only knew what he could do to the "shady dealers" she referred to, her jaw would drop. Training at the Tower had left him quick with both Sword and Power. Suddenly she twisted her wrist and a knife fell into her palm.

"But don't think I am completely defenseless, either."

Tai's eyebrow rose in an impressed gesture. She winked at him and rose from her seat, bouncing the knife lightly on her palm.

"Take your time finishing your breakfast, I will see your horse saddled and meet you at the stable when you are ready." With that she was outside. Tai leaned back in his chair and waited for his food to arrive. He admired her. She was bold and intelligent, quick witted and beautiful.

~Do not lie to yourself.~ Chaos whispered greasily in his head. ~You only wish to satiate the physical desires that burn within you.~

"Shut up." Tai muttered darkly. Chaos had a way of taking any situation, and bringing to the surface all the dark, inhuman, and cruel portions of humanity. He also had a way of flinging them in Tai's face at the most uncomfortable times.

His breakfast arrived and he ate hurriedly. After a brief conversation with the Innkeeper as to his stay he headed up to his rooms. Gathering his scrip and heading outside, he waited for his horse to be brought around.

In the stables, Gianna had the boy fetch Tai's horse and saddle him.  She was already holding her own mount, a grey gelding named Sefer.  Gianna tossed the stable boy a silver penny and told him to run off and let her be once the other horse was brought around.  The scrawny lad knuckled his forehead and did as he was told.

Finally, some privacy.  I can't run the chance of my disguise unraveling in the middle of the day...

She checked the knot holding the Mask of Mirrors over her face.  As she suspected, the bond was weakening and probably would have fallen apart before the day was out.  She quickly dispersed the weave.  For an instant, an ageless face stared out from the cowl of her hood.  Gianna wove threads of Air, Fire, and Spirit in a fine net that covered her face.  When she pushed her hood back, the same face stared out, but one that appeared to be in her twenties.

That little matter taken care of, Gianna gathered the reins of the two horses and led them around to where Tai was waiting.  The man had a perplexed and slightly worried look on his face and was rubbing his arm thoughtfully.

"Here is your mount, Tai.  A fine piece of horseflesh, if I have ever seen one.  Are you ready to depart?"

Tai picked pushed off of the Inn's front wall where he had been leaning. It was taking longer than he would have expected. Leaving his scrip on the ground he picked up his sword belt to buckle it on. The scabbard was a dark gray hide, almost black in color. The tip and the opening where worked with wide, shaped silver. Vines and leaves encompassed the metal and the Hilt was worked similarly. It was a fine sword and only added to the illusion that he was a Lord. In reality it was a gift from his Mentor Arath Faringal.

The man had befriended him when he arrived at the Tower, trained him in the use of the Power, and been there for some of the hardest moments in his life. At his raising to Dedicated Arath had presented him with the sword. It was made that much more special by the fact that Arath was a blacksmith before his life at the Tower and had made the blade himself. It had been strengthened by Saidin and needed sharpening less often than even the finest forge could create. It was not on the level of some he had heard of from the Age of Legends, but it was definitely a fine piece of craftsmanship. He ceased his absent study of the blade and fastened the Silver worked buckle over his coat.

Tai had long since learned the trick of not feeling the cold. As such he was immediately on gaurd when his skin pebbled. He had not seen an Aes Sedai, but if one was in the city he was glad to be leaving with Gia as quickly as they were. Rubbing his arm thoughtfully through his coat he smiled when Gia rounded the corner with their mounts.

"Here is your mount, Tai.  A fine piece of horseflesh, if I have ever seen one.  Are you ready to depart?"

"Indeed my Lady." He said with a grin. Taking his reigns from her with a small bow he picked up his scrip from the ground and vaulted easily to his saddle. "Shall we?" He said, motioning down the road.

The two rode at a steady pace northward.  After passing out of the city gates onto the Tar Valon road it had been easier going, with less foot traffic to impede them.  They made fair time, chatting as they rode.  Tai'Dashan was a bit closemouthed about his life, but Gianna did learn that he was originally a Mayener.  Gianna kept the conversation going, telling fond stories from childhood, yet she managed to keep the topic away from her father and his death.  That line of questioning could easily lead to the Tower if she wasn't careful.

Around midday, they were approaching the rolling plains south of Braem Wood.  Outlying patches of trees dotted the landscape.  Gianna slowed her horse to a walk and smiled at Tai'Dashan when he looked at her questioningly.  "I'm getting hungry, my Lord.  Shall we find a likely spot to sit and dine on a feast of hard cheese and harder bread?"  She laughed and patted the saddlebags behind her.  "Unless you brought some more savory fare in your scrip."

The sun climbed upward on their right as they rode, pale and warmthless in the winter sky. At least there was no snow threatening. Tai would not have been bothered by the cold even though he had not brought a cloak, but snow would impede there journey and slow their progress. As they rode they talked. At first Gianna asked questions about Tai, he was careful to tell her only details about his early life. That he was from Mayne, that he was the son of a jewlery merchant. These things presented no harm. But he kept well away from topics like his father, Aria, or the Farm. Soon enough she moved to stories from home, her childhood, and things she remembered.

As the sun neared its Zenith, some trees started to spring up here and there, dotting the low rolling plains. For a moment Tai was taken back to a smiliar landscape.

The ground opened up beneath Tai and Fireballs streaked through the air where his head had been moments before. Tai channeled without thinking and a platform of Air halted his descent moments before he was impaled on thick stone spikes. Weaving Earth, Tai cut steps to the surface and looked around warily for Dantar. The man was preparing a particularly nasty weave to launch at him but had not completed it yet.

Too slow, you goat-brained, Light-blasted... The oaths continued in his head as Tai sliced the man's weave neatly. Quickly bringing his hands together in front of him, palms out, Tai funneled Fire, Air, and Spirit into a thigh thick bar of spiraling flame. Bending at the elbows he shifted his arms back and thrust them out again, launching the weave at the man. Pushing with Spirit, the Flame spiraled outward hot enough that Tai's throat constricted, and seared a furrow into the ground. A small tree burst into flame as the spiral streaked past. Dantar rolled to the side and Tai shifted his hands, following the man's movements and destroying a swath in its path

Feeling a shiver pass through him that had nothing to do with the cold, he realized Gia had slowed her horse to a walk and glanced at her questioningly. She smiled and spoke.

"I'm getting hungry, my Lord.  Shall we find a likely spot to sit and dine on a feast of hard cheese and harder bread? Unless you brought some more savory fare in your scrip." She added, patting her saddlebags.

Grinning he shook his head to indicate he had not, and started scanning the trees ahead for a good place. In short time they had found a stream not far off from the road where a clearing in the trees provided good cover from the light wind. Trampling the snow Tai thought to himself how easy this would be using Saidin. He could clear the snow with Air and a little Fire and... He let that thought evaporate. He could not channel and that was that. Settling down to light a small fire he soon had a little pile of sticks. Striking flint and steel borrowed from Gia, he was having a little trouble. Seizing Saidin and weaving the barest trickle of Fire he helped it along. Soon enough the fire was crackling warmly and they were munching on cheese and bread. She had not been teasing, it was hard.

The snap of a twig in the snow, brought Tai's head up from his cheese. Three somewhat dirty men entered the clearing from different directions with weapons drawn, encircling the two. Tai seized Saidin and stood slowly as the three advanced. One of the men, with black hair and a runny nose spoke as Tai backed up to where Gia was standing.

"Just give us what ya got of worth and we wont hurt ya." The other two laughed and confirmed Tai's suspician that they would not keep thier skins if they simply gave up their coins.

Runny nose had a sword, the one to Tai's left with a torn coat had a studded cudgel, and the one to Tai's right had a hatchet of some kind. He briefly considered channeling but discarded the idea. Arath had admonished him not to channel where others could see and he didn't want tales to spread of a man channeling in Braem Wood. His hand strayed to his sword and everything happened at once. Torn coat lunged in with his sword and stubmled backward as a knife bloomed in his throat, as Tai drew and blocked a slash from Runny nose. Training kicked in and Saidin pulsed beckoningly from over his shoulder. He met the man's thrust smoothly and brought his blade up, striking at the man's face causing him to back up. Dimly he was aware of the third man backing up and watching the fight. Runny nose sneered and launched himself into another thrust. Meeting it smoothly with a downard swing, Tai brought the blade up once more and took the man at his neck. Roughly he pushed the man away to keep the spray of blood from his clothing.

"Bloody fools." He muttered as the other man turned and fled into the trees. He was angry that he had had to take the man's life. He thought of kicking the man's body but bent to wipe his blade on the man's clothes instead. He sheathed his sword and watched as Gia retrieved her knife from the other man's throat. She wiped it on his clothing as well with an expression of mild disgust.

"Sorry my Lady, I guess we break camp. Unless you want to stay here and finish your meal?" He smiled at her weakly.

Gianna warmed her hands over the fire they had built to eat around.  A bit of warmth was welcome on this cold day, although Gianna had mastered the trick of not feeling the chill when she chose not to.

She heard the men approach from behind her and stood and turned as one stepped on a twig.  They were a sorry-looking lot; dirty and looking like beggars with weapons.

The hungry man is the most dangerous of ruffians...

She felt Tai bump lightly into her back; the man knew they were best defended if they were back to back. 

"Just give us what ya got of worth and we wont hurt ya."

One of them spoke in a gravelly voice, the others chuckled a bit at the demand.  Gianna knew that a regular traveler would not survive such an encounter.  Unfortunately for these louts, they were not regular travelers.

Tai's hand drifted towards his sword, and the ruffians sprang into action.  Gianna wanted to avoid channeling unless absolutely necessary.  As one of the men advanced towards her, Gianna let a dagger fall from her sleeve into her right hand.  She grasped the handle and let loose a precise throw that buried the knife in the man's throat to the hilt.  The man crumpled and Gianna turned in time to see another of the trio dispatched by Tai'Dashan's sword work.

The third man obviously saw which way the wind was blowing, and turned tail for the forest.  Gianna considered wrapping him up with Air to bring to trial, but decided the risks outweighed the benefits.

She stooped and withdrew her knife from the throat of the man with the torn coat.  Grimacing with distaste, she wiped most of the blood off of it with the man's cloak. 

I will have to properly clean this later.

Tai replaced his sword at his side and smiled at her apologetically.  "Sorry my Lady, I guess we break camp. Unless you want to stay here and finish your meal?"

Gianna gave him a piercing stare for the gallows humor, then shook her head.  "No, Tai." 

She retrieved her horse's reins from a nearby tree and mounted.  Not until Tai had seated himself on his own horse did she speak again.

"They would have killed us for our food and money; let the crows feast upon them."

With that, she spurred her horse forward.  "Let us be away from this place.  We have many miles still to cross before we reach New Braem."

Tai almost grinned as Gianna gave him a piercing glare and shook her head. Once they were both mounted she surprised him. Taking on more years then she looked to have she pronounced gravely:

"They would have killed us for our food and money; let the crows feast upon them. Let us be away from this place.  We have many miles still to cross before we reach New Braem."

Tai spurred his horse after her in a spray of snow so as not to be left behind. Once out of the trees they rode on slowly to the road and turned north from there. They rode in silence for a while and he studied her from the side of his eye. She had been practically simpering before, perhaps not quite simpering but...She was a puzzle, and Tai liked puzzles. She had been a young lady in distress but back in the clearing she had become a wise, regal woman, well beyond her young years. The silence stretched on and he felt the need to say something.

"Glad I came with you my Lady." He realized how that might sound and added hurriedly. "Not that you are not capable yourself!" He had seen her with that knife and she had known its use, another piece to the puzzle.

Gianna silently berated herself for the choice of words back at the clearing.  As they had mounted, her tone and words had been every inch an Aes Sedai.  That wasn't what she wanted to cultivate in the mind of this youth.  She saw him trying to discreetly study her as they rode, as if she was a lock he needed to pick.

The silence became thick, broken only by the sound of their horse's hooves crunching through the snow crust.  Finally Tai'Dashan spoke. "Glad I came with you my Lady."

Gianna glanced at him wryly, and he quickly added, "Not that you are not capable yourself!"

She let herself laugh then, the sound like the tinkling of many bells in the silent wood.  "Be at your ease, Tai'Dashan.  You are wondering how a young woman gets hardened to such things as killing.  Well, things like the Aiel War and living among the great Houses of Cairhien can harden a person to all number of things, unfortunately.  You learn the webs of the Great Game at your mother's breast.  And most of all, you learn that if you shrink from killing, you will be the dead one, someday."

Gianna leaned forward and patted her horse on the neck.  She tried to turn the conversation back to him. "How and where did you learn how to handle a sword?"

Gianna laughed and he felt somewhat better. He had not wanted to offend her. If anything she had become far more interesting back in that clearing.

"Be at your ease, Tai'Dashan.  You are wondering how a young woman gets hardened to such things as killing.  Well, things like the Aiel War and living among the great Houses of Cairhien can harden a person to all number of things, unfortunately.  You learn the webs of the Great Game at your mother's breast.  And most of all, you learn that if you shrink from killing, you will be the dead one, someday."

Tai blinked. Aiel War? That had been quite some time ago and by the looks of this woman it was well before her time. A thought drifted across his mind and he felt like the puzzle had suddenly clicked into place. He did not have much time to think on it however. She asked him a question in turn.

"How and where did you learn how to handle a sword?" Tai sat silent for a moment, letting the sway of the horse carry him almost casually as he thought. This woman truly was a puzzle. Very well, let her puzzle over him a bit.

"My Lady, the details are for another time, but i trained as a Soldier of sorts for sometime and am quite adept at fighting for whatever cause is needed. Most nobly and most currently, the Light." And let her think of that what she will he thought satisfactorily...

• 2 weeks later...

Tai'Dashan held himself silent for several moments after Gianna asked about his sword training.  It seemed he was carefully weighing his words before speaking.  Gianna prepared herself to sort the gold from dross when he finally spoke.

"My Lady, the details are for another time, but i trained as a Soldier of sorts for sometime and am quite adept at fighting for whatever cause is needed. Most nobly and most currently, the Light."

Gianna blinked.  Was the man being purposefully mysterious?  Maybe she should have not mentioned the Aiel War, as she could almost see the gears turning in his head.  She decided to dig a little.

"Many a person can claim to be serving the Light, from the ascetic altruist to the zealot who scrawls a Dragon's Fang on the door of a man he disagrees with.  You say 'most currently' as though you have also served forces in the past besides the Light.  And 'what ever cause is needed' seems to suggest a mercenary of sorts, lending your strength where you see fit.  You could call me an observer of human nature, so I would learn more about this.  So tell me, Tai'Dashan, how do YOU define serving the Light?  And what brought forth a young man from the relative safety of Mayene into this dangerous world of armies and bandits and the Dragon Reborn?  What coin was used to buy YOUR allegiance?"

There.  If that didn't throw the boy off balance and make him forget about my slip-up regarding the Aiel War, nothing will.  And he will have my eternal respect for it.

"Many a person can claim to be serving the Light, from the ascetic altruist to the zealot who scrawls a Dragon's Fang on the door of a man he disagrees with.  You say 'most currently' as though you have also served forces in the past besides the Light.  And 'what ever cause is needed' seems to suggest a mercenary of sorts, lending your strength where you see fit.  You could call me an observer of human nature, so I would learn more about this.  So tell me, Tai'Dashan, how do YOU define serving the Light?  And what brought forth a young man from the relative safety of Mayene into this dangerous world of armies and bandits and the Dragon Reborn?  What coin was used to buy YOUR allegiance?"

Tai sighed inwardly as Gianna started to speak. Before she was done however, he was thinking furiously. Tai was not one to lie and would not do so here. How could he explain his comments. He had tried to avoid the question while giving her an answer but she had deftly avoided it and dug straight to the heart. His respect for her grew and he shot her a sidelong glance at her before responding. He chose his words carefully and kept his tone cheerful despite his anxiousness.

"My Lady, if you must know you are correct. Many people claim to serve the Light. No, I have not served forces 'besides the Light' in the past. Just not so directly have i fought for a the Light until now. You see I was young." He chuckled then at his own comment. "Still am. No I have not spent time as a mercenary. However you will find, should i continue to have the pleasure of your company, that i tend to fight vehemently for what I believe in." He paused a moment, considering how deeply to reveal his past. Finally he nodded slightly to himself, deciding and continued. "My father was not around from early on in my life and my blessed mother raised me. She was murdered when i was just 16." He paused to control his voice, the pain was still somewhat fresh. "I swore that I wold do my part to fight the forces of darkness anyway i could. So I left and joined the ranks of the Dragon. THAT is how i define serving the Light." He glanced at her to read her expression but her face may has well have been the still surface of a pond for all it told him.

"Fair is fair," He commented after a moment. "You speak of living through the Aiel War among other such hardships. It seems you yourself share a quality i fancy in observing things about those around me. If it pleases you I would hear more of how you came to know so intimately, a war that is surely before your time. You did speak of living through the war and being hardened by it did you not?" He suppressed a smile. He had given her true answers, all the while keeping his true identity hidden. He prayed that Arath wouldn't be too cross with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Tai seemed to think for a moment about how to respond to Gianna's query, but when he did speak it was solidly and confidently.

"My Lady, if you must know you are correct. Many people claim to serve the Light. No, I have not served forces 'besides the Light' in the past. Just not so directly have I fought for a the Light until now. You see I was young." He chuckled then at his own comment. "Still am. No I have not spent time as a mercenary. However you will find, should I continue to have the pleasure of your company, that I tend to fight vehemently for what I believe in."

He paused a moment, mulling over his next words before continuing. "My father was not around from early on in my life and my blessed mother raised me. She was murdered when I was just 16.  I swore that I wold do my part to fight the forces of darkness any way I could. So I left and joined the ranks of the Dragon. THAT is how I define serving the Light."

Gianna absorbed all of this, trying not to show her surprise at the misfortune this young man had faced and risen above already in his life.  Her thoughts were interrupted when Tai'Dashan spoke up again.

"Fair is fair, you speak of living through the Aiel War among other such hardships. It seems you yourself share a quality I fancy in observing things about those around me. If it pleases you I would hear more of how you came to know so intimately, a war that is surely before your time. You did speak of living through the war and being hardened by it did you not?"

Gianna controlled the flare of dismay that wanted to cross her face.  She didn't think he would read all of that from her offhand comment, but it seemed that he was quicker than she thought.  It was time for the light hearted flirt to return.  You catch more flies with honey, after all.

"My lord Tai'Dashan, are you sure you weren't raised in Cairhien?"  A slightly impish smile curved her lips.  He raised his eyebrows in confusion, and she pushed on quickly.  "I never said that I lived through the Aiel War.  In fact, what I said was that 'Things LIKE the Aiel War' can harden a person to many things.  There has been hardship aplenty in Cairhien in recent years without even mentioning Laman's Pride and the tumult that followed."  He still looked suspicious, so she took it a step further, leaning across to rest her hand on his arm as they rode.  She could see a slight blush creep into his cheeks as she spoke.

"I appreciate your ability to look deeper than the surface, so I will say it plainly so that there is no confusion.  I was not hardened by the Aiel War, I wasn't even around to experience it!"

That's because I was locked safely away behind the shining walls the whole time it was going on!  How could I experience anything from in there?

She left her hand on his arm as they rode side by side.  She didn't say anything more on the topic, hoping that would be the end of it.  The sun was marching slowly toward the horizon, and they would be reaching New Braem soon.

OOC: heh sorry, seems I forgot about this one.  :D

IC:

"My lord Tai'Dashan, are you sure you weren't raised in Cairhien?" Tai blinked in confusion. Now what in the Light did that mean? The woman was grinning at him again. "I never said that I lived through the Aiel War.  In fact, what I said was that 'Things LIKE the Aiel War' can harden a person to many things.  There has been hardship aplenty in Cairhien in recent years without even mentioning Laman's Pride and the tumult that followed." That sounded almost like what she had said, only now he couldn't quite remember what exactly her words had been.

She led her mount closer to his and leaned over to place her arm on his. The unexpected contact made him blush. "I appreciate your ability to look deeper than the surface, so I will say it plainly so that there is no confusion.  I was not hardened by the Aiel War, I wasn't even around to experience it!"

She spoke of speaking plainly to avoid confusion yet her words left him feeling that she had left something unsaid. She changed back and forth from serious to light-hearted fast enough to make a man's head spin! Tai decided to give it a rest. New Braem would not be far off and they had not had a chance to eat before they had been accosted. in the grove. Silence stretched for a while with Gia eventually straightening again, removing her hand.

"Lady Gianna," Tai began. He did not want her to feel obligated. "Once we reach New Braem, I think I will stop for the night and rest before traveling on. If time permits and you so desire, I would find your company pleasing. No do not answer now," He hurried to add. "Simply wait and see what our journey brings, and how you feel upon our arrival." He shot her a winning grin and then focused on the road ahead. The snow and ice, driven to slush could break a horses leg if a rider were careless.

OOC: We can end it here if you like, or you can post one more. Whatever you would like to do  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

In the early hours before dawn, Gianna rose silently and slipped away from New Braem.  She felt bad abandoning Tai, but she couldn't very well take him to Tar Valon with her. 

She left a note on his saddle, where he would see it when he left today.  In it, she apologized for leaving without him, but that he could not follow her where she needed to go now.  She left him instructions for sending letters to her through her agent in Caemlyn, and she thanked him for his service.  And the last line, she almost left off, but decided to include it:

I have come to enjoy your company very much, and I feel that if I stayed in your company, I would soon quite forget what my quest is.  I pray that you will write me, and frequently.  When I can see you again, I will.

Yours,

Gianna

She galloped into the rising sun, making for the Shining Walls.