DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trees don't bite...or do they? (Attn: Melenis)

Taeadra

OOC:  All corny-ness is to be blamed on my training and my former Mentor's unrealistic fear of squirrels and trees ;) And furthermore has no bearing on her mental balance.....and that's my story ;)

IC: Bril spun on her heel, working through her forms for the third time that morning. It was the same as every  morning since her decision to add another weapon to her training. Once with a practice lathe in both hands, once with the right hand only, and lastly, the left hand only. Outside the Void, she was dimly aware of sweat beading on her forehead, then dripping into her face, but she ignored it.

Boar Rushes Down the Mountain to Tower of the Morning and finally The Courtier Taps His Fan and Bril let her arm fall to her side. She leaned forward, resting her arms on her knees while she caught her breath. The distinctive click-clack of lathes striking one another did little to drown out the sound of her breath rushing in her ears and Bril couldn't help but smile at herself. There was nothing like a demanding workout to start the day.

She stood and began to walk to a rack to leave her lathe there before sitting to reflect on her training thus far.  As she neared the rack, her eyes caught sight of a tree, no, not just a tree, the tree.  In the blink of an eye she was a trainee again hearing Yuval in her ear, “It mocks you, that tree.  You must attack!!!” And so she did, grinning and laughing as her lathe slapped against the marks she had left there close to ten years ago.

So lost was she in her attack on the tree, it wasn’t until she heard someone clearing their throat (or maybe laughing hysterically :) ) behind her that she realized she was no longer alone in her little corner of the Yard.

“I do be sorry,” she said, still laughing to herself, “I did no realize I was no alone anymore....”

Brililin Kedali

Tower Guard

When they mock, you must attack!

Bril would have turned to see a raised eyebrow at most, but Melenis hadn't approached her with anything special in mind. The woman had been going through her forms, and judging by them she believed her to be around the same level of skill as she was, though only a spar would be able to tell for sure. There was also a way of leaning more towards offense that tickled her memory about a path some of the people in the Yards followed that relied on being able to take a blow... Ban Kai or something?

She smiled, though mostly due to the mental image of her trying her luck on that path. Judging by her ability to take a blow she might as well just stab herself in battle and save her opponent the trouble: She'd stick with 'her' Me'Arearth anytime. She watched the woman apologise to her, the Illianer accent clear in her speech. In response however, she shook her head, feeling a bit uncomfortable with the apoloy as if she was a Warder that came to her to teach.

- "No need to apologise, i was just watching your forms. Though your choice of opponent is a bit unusual, care to try your hand at a more mobile target? We should be around equal in terms of skill if i've read you correctly."

Though she had her unseparable ashandarei on her back, she made no move to take it off of her back until her challenge was accepted. Even then, she wasn't the kind to leap on the offensive, so the initiative would be in Bril's hands on both counts.

Melenis

Want to spar?

"No need to apologise, i was just watching your forms. Though your choice of opponent is a bit unusual, care to try your hand at a more mobile target? We should be around equal in terms of skill if i've read you correctly."

Bril took in as much as she could of the woman across from her.  So, she do be wanting to spar... she thought to herself. Bril couldn't recall having seen the other woman in the yards before, not that that meant much. Many times when Bril was there, she was so intently focused on her training that she doubted she could recognize a mere portion of the company.

She'd been pushing herself hard all morning and while others may have declined a spar just then, she was known for taking chances to push herself even harder.  That didn't mean she didn't have limits, oh she did, and Bril knew them better than most knew theirs, it just never stopped her.

"A friendly spar do be sounding good this morning," Bril spoke as she placed her practice lathe back in the rack and gathered her Katanas and faced the other woman.

Holding both Katana's in one hand, she held the other out to the woman, "I no be sparring with anyone I no know their name.  My name do be Brililin, but you be calling me Bril." she said.

Bril put much weight into anothers handshake and as the other woman introduced herself, Melenis she had said her name was, Bril nodded slightly to herself.  She knew this would be an interesting spar as she stepped back and readied herself.....

Brililin Kedali

Tower Guard

Now having formally introduced herself, Melenis looked at her opponent's katanas for a second, considering the options. It seemed there were many in the Yards that used two weapons, and as a side effect she already had an idea of how the fight would be. Two weapons generally meant favoring offense over defense, which meant an advantage in range should work to her advantage. The ashandarei it was then. Readying the weapon, she glanced at Bril to see if the woman was ready.

After waiting for her to finish preparations, she attacked the Illianer woman with Cat Dances on the Wall. She didn't doubt she was agile enough to perform it correctly, and it would do a good job in 'feeling out' any potential weaknesses she might be able to use to her advantage. With a little luck, she might also find out the tactic Bril would use to get around the range disadvantage so she could counter it effectively.

Melenis

Feeling out her opponent

Bril gave a small smile as Melenis began her attack. She wasn't familiar with the other woman's style at all, having not seen her spar before, but that rarely slowed Bril. She moved into Lightning of Three Prongs, and then The Creeper Embraces the Oak. Bril was normally known for her headlong advances against an opponent, but today she felt like exercising a bit of caution. Likely it wouldn't last, but for the moment she was content to push Melenis only as hard as the other woman was pushing her.

It seemed that they circled each other for awhile, each striking out, but not commiting to much, yet. They were weighing each others forms, and style. Bril sometimes liked this part of a spar. Much could be told about your opponent if you could be patient enough to learn.

Bril's patience however, was not something she was known for holding long and soon she tired of the dance they were playing at. She knew the upsides and downsides of her style of fighting, almost as well as she knew her weapons. In a flash, Bril drove forward, thankful for her Ren'Shai training as the ability to take a beating made it handy for getting in close situations. Their blades met stroke for stroke, though Bril's tiredness was showing through as Melenis was able to get a nice nick on Bril's shoulder, only redoubling Bril's efforts...

Bril

Gung-Ho ;)

Despite the other woman taking the offensive, dictating the spar as she had only gotten a couple of counterattacks in, Melenis still felt fairly confident in her chances of winning against Bril. Lightning of Three Prongs was parried by holding her weapon horizontally above her head, it's sheer length able to block whichever of the three paths that gave the form its name would end up taking, and Creeper Embraces the Oak met with her Leaf Floating on the Breeze in a series of clashes of metal on metal before she managed to get enough distance between herself and Bril to launch an attack of her own.

Bril's katanas were dangerous in close combat for effectively enabling her to attack independantly with them. Thus, her chances of winning would depend on having her drop one of the weapons. Suddenly, she moved into Lizard in the Thornbush hoping the form, intended for fighting multiple opponents, wouldn't be expected. The thrust to the chest was dodged, but she managed to nick Bril in the shoulder with the following pivot. Though she hadn't intended on injuring her opponent, Bril showed no signs of stopping the spar so she went along as well.

The momentum lost, she jumped out of the way of a kneeled version of Parting the Silk which managed to clip her on the boot. Thankful of her natural agility, she decided to meet Bril's seemingly continuous attacks with her own, intending to find out which of the two would be forced on the defensive. Low Wind Rising to prevent Bril from following through her advance, and Striking the Spark from there on. She was getting tired, and gambling on her stamina was a risk, but Bril had started to slow down, even if slightly, meaning she was at least a little bit tired as well. Time to see who would win the spar...

Melenis

Going all-out as well now

• 3 weeks later...

OOC:  GAH! Sorry, thought I had posted to this! I'll let you decide who wins...really makes no matter to me  :)

IC: Bril found herself having to redouble her efforts as the other woman pushed the offensive. Bril's jaw set in determination to win, though she was beginning to doubt the reality of that. Do no be thinking that way! she chastized herself as she pushed forward ever so slightly, katana's moving as quickly as she could make them, one meeting the other woman's ashandarei while the other tried to find a hole in which to attack.

She had no idea how long they had been sparring, time seemed to float as if suspended when she fought. But judging from the bead of sweat she could feel on her brow it had been long enough that one or the other would likely fall...or perhaps not, this would not be the first spar in which both Bril and her opponent worked until they both nearly fell over from exhaustion.

A small smile broke out on Bril's face as she pressed in on Melenis yet a little more, "I do be thinking you be slightly more fun to spar than that tree." Always with the barbs, Bril was, sometimes they worked enough to shake her opponents confidence, sometimes they worked just the opposite. Bril was curious to see how Melenis would take them as she continued them....

Bril

OOC: Melenis (1) vs. Bril (2) - FIGHT! (1d2=1) (Random it is then ^^)

IC:

The woman was good, certainly near her level of skill, but it wouldn't have been much of a challenge if she wasn't. She noticed the determination on Bril's face that she knew would be in hers as well. Both of them were going on the offensive now, trying to force the opponent on the defensive in a series of attacks that drained stamina in a rapid pace. She was blocking with both blade and shaft of her ashandarei now, trying to follow it up with an attack of her own before Bril could flow into another form.

"I do be thinking you be slightly  more fun to spar than that tree."

Suddenly, time appeared to slow down, and she saw one of Bril's katanas head towards her chest in a piercing attack. Sidestepping, she moved into The Grapevine Twines, sending one of Bril's katanas flying. What was perhaps more important though was that her close range allowed her to trip up her opponent, unbalancing her for only a fraction of a second, but it was all she needed. Now effectively behind her opponent, she brought the counterweight down to tap her on the shoulder even as Bril was already turning around, ending the sparring match.

- "Perhaps, but a willow doesn't fight like an oak."

Still a bit shaken from the hectic fight, she hardly noticed herself making a pun on the tree Bril had been sparring against earlier until after it had left her mouth. She felt sweat bead all over her face, having burned all her stamina into one extended series of attacks, and it was an effort to keep standing. Instead, she opted to sit down on the ground to regain her stamina a bit faster

- "It was a good match though, could have gone either way until i managed to disarm you."

Melenis

Veni Vidi vici