DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

High trees catch more... fire! (Suraya)

Lannie

It was a dusty evening in late summer. The sun was still above the horizon by a hair and painted the whole world (or at least the empty fields before Sterre) a deep russet hue. She was relaxing against a tree, watching the sun set while quietly enjoying a beer on her own. Sterre figured that she'd deserved this one. Tonight had been the first night that their performance had gone flawless. The audience had gone wild and they had made an amount of money that was even greater than on their first night, when they'd still been a novelty around those parts.

Every step she'd set, every jump, every twirl - even the part where she had 'fought' to rob Suraya of her fiery torches - it had all gone perfectly and it had showed. It gave Sterre a thrill to go through a perfect performance as much as the adoring crowds did. She even had cute guys coming up to her trying to woo her into their beds. I have fanboys! she reflected and surpressed a giggle. Instead, she just took a swig of beer and closed her eyes to feel the last remaining sunrays on her face. Life was good at the moment.

The people loved them, but the thrill of the performance was the best thing ever. Even Suraya had been satisfied tonight, and that was never an easy thing to achieve.

She remembered the feeling of the thrill from where she'd felt it before: it was the same as pulling a perfect con and walking away with silver and valuables without any hitch. Walking away from Tanchico she had quietly grieved that she would never feel it again, but now in the menagerie of Howel Fitch she had found it again.

And despite the occasional irritations with Suraya, the way Howel Fitch was making lewd comments on her looks, and the silent treatment and seeting frustration that they were served from the acrobats... despite all that, Sterre thought that she could happily stay here for a while. All of the discomforts and the remarks were worth the feeling of pulling that perfect show. Every step was right, every movement was a dance that she knew how to perform, every moment of it a crystal clear second of perfection. To execute such a dance, that was worth the world to Sterre. And it made the rest so much more bearable.

Suraya of course, was already working on how to improve upon it and had decided that Sterre should learn to firebreathe and juggle as well. While she didn't really look forward to getting that close to those torches and burning herself up regularly, Sterre had agreed to do so. Not tonight, though. Tonight was for contentment. After the performance she'd washed her hair and dressed comfortably for a night of quiet celebration.

So while Suraya was elsewhere doing whatever it was that she did when she was being creative, Sterre was having a grand time on her own. Time passed unnoticedly. The leaves of the tree she was sitting against were rustling with the slight evening breeze, the sun had sunk underneath the horizons while stars were starting to twinkle above her, and Sterre was all mellow with her beer.

Maybe it was because she was so accustomed to the scent of burning wood and whatever it was that Suraya used to keep her torches burning, that she completely missed the fire at first. It took a long time for her to realize it in her mellow and half-asleep state of being, like how a sound from the waking world can be incorporated in your dream before you're rudely awakened.

"Fire?" Sterre murmured, and scrambled up. And that was when she made out the glow of a fire in the camp, indeed...

Aim higher. That had been Suraya’s motto ever since she started performing. There was no such thing as staying ahead without effort, she had learnt that much back in Bandar Eban, under the kind tutelage of her old mentor, and the harsher tutelage of her aunts. Aim higher, get ahead and stay ahead, that was how she worked. When a performance was perfected, you searched for elements that made it even better, or you changed your performance entirely. She had tried to explain the necessity of that to Sterre, but as expected the happy go lucky girl hadn’t felt like working hard, not right after they had performed tonight. Suraya had shrugged, and wandered of on her own, already pondering on new elements for their performance.

She picked up the long staff her old mentor had left her, and used it to chop down the weeds surrounding the encampment, as though they were enemies. There was no real vigour behind her swipes though. Her mind was working on new stories. Perhaps she could get Sterre to tell a tale before the performance? She dismissed the thought. The other woman hadn’t learnt to control her voice properly yet. Maybe eventually… but what to do? Maybe she could get her to do something with those knives she carried around all the time. Knives were almost as impressive as fire. Maybe they should get themselves an innocent looking companion as well. Sterre could then play the part of the fierce bandit, and Suraya could play the part of the rescuing… demon? She shook her head at the thought. The idea had potential, but she’d have to work on it a lot.

So not a fire breathing demon and a bandit. It was almost as though a little light went on above Suraya’s head as she thought of someone spectacularly brilliant. “Hah!†she laughed, swiping at another weed. “Can’t keep Suraya Sharizade Oceantide down for lo…†A loud bang startled her from her thoughts. As she looked back at the camp she saw that the main tent was burning, as well as one of the supply wagons. “Blood and Ash…†she cried out, clasping her hands in front of her mouth as soon as she realised she had spoken out loud. Not that anyone was in hearing distance, but… better safe than sorry, or so her aunt had always said.

With great leaping strides she made her way back to the camp, cursing to herself the entire way. Oh, she knew exactly how this was going to look. She was the only one who performed with fire, and she and Fitch had just had a row about their payment. He’d been quite adamant about the services he wanted from her and Sterre if they were to receive a higher pay. Even as Fitch and the acrobats and the other hands rushed out of their wagons to put out the fire, Suraya ran to her own wagon, quite intent on leaving, and leaving swiftly. With some luck she’d be halfway to Caemlyn before Fitch even thought to accuse her of the fire. She just hoped Sterre was there to help her pack, and that the other woman was willing to leave with her, but if she wasn’t, well… tough luck.

And yet, despite her frantic desire to leave, and leave now, the sight of Fitch’s wagon door standing open was too much for her to resist. “Might as well take the money we earned.†She mused, sneaking towards it.

It had not rained in weeks and the ground was dry. The tall grass in which their camp had been stationed were as dry as possible. Sterre, who knew how dangerously prone to bushfires this part of the country was, had been very careful not to let any glass litter about. Bushfires were very, very easily made when the summer had been as dry as it had been this year.

Sterre sprinted into camp and found the main tent burning as cheerily as Suraya's torches. Like torchwood, she thought distantly, and thought of the blazing argument that she'd overheard between Suraya and Fitch when she was washing her hair. After tonight's thrilling performance, Suraya had gone to demand more of the profit that the menagerie was making. After all, they were the main attraction and thus they deserved more. Sterre had completely agreed with that line of thinking and offered to go with her, but Suraya had thought she'd be more forceful and was in a better position to make demands since she'd been here longer.

She had made demands, indeed... and Fitch had rejected them all. Bastard, Sterre had thought, and assumed that they'd get back to the discussion later. Surely they could convince him to come around later, and otherwise they'd just threaten to leave his show and start up their own. It was easy enough, Sterre thought.

But to see the fire... there was a lot of confusion in camp. They were trying to save the animals and Fitch was screaming to get water to put out the fire, that Suraya was to blame for this and that he'd get her for this (accompanied by some very colourful curses), he'd make her pay...

Sterre didn't stand around to listen. Whether Suraya had put the place on fire or not, she didn't really care. All she knew was that the menagerie here was bankrupt without it's main tent and Suraya, and that she was not planning to stay around any longer. As far as she knew, they could even think her as guilty as Suraya because of their affiliation.

And she had seen where Fitch kept part of his secret stash. He buried it, always, at a tree that was on the western outskirts of camp. Usually the biggest one; and if there were more, he would carve a little mark into it so he wouldn't forget about it.

Sterre, who was a very accomplished thief, thought that this was just a laughable course of action to take. Did he really think that splitting his stash and hiding it in exactly the same spot every time was going to keep him safe. He must have thought that she was stupid, or something. Or that the world was as stupid as he was.

So she took her chances and dug up the package that Howel Fitch had thought safe from thieves, and stole it away while the man himself was busy screaming obscenities about Suraya's ancestors and possible descendants. Sterre rolled her eyes as she kicked the dusty dirt back in place and took a look at the package. It felt heavy, at least. She tucked it under her shirt and blended back in the shadows. All eyes would be on the fire anyway. With the bright light the shadows seemed only darker and she could slip away unnoticed.

She ran back to Suraya's wagon to either warn the woman or to get her stuff, but the other woman was as quick on her feet as Sterre had been and the wagon was already moving, with Suraya leading the reins of her horse. She looked like storm.

Sterre hopped onto the wagon next to Suraya. "Hi," she said cheerfully. Let me guess, we're leaving?"

"You are SO perceptive," Suraya said with a sarcastic drawl in her normally so clear voice. She was nearly growling. Her eyes were narrowed and she did not even look at Sterre.

"Perhaps it was time to go," Sterre noted. She leaned back against the cart and made herself comfortable while Suraya ushered their horse to hurry out of here. Behind them, the fire was roaring and somebody was screaming: "Dear Light, my WAGON!"

Sterre didnt look back. She just grinned slightly and looked at the empty road and the darkblue night sky, that was by now filled with stars and constellations. Strangely enough, she hardly felt upset by this new turn of events. She was only... curious. "So tell me Suraya, DID you light the place on fire?"

Fitch’s wagon was cluttered and dirty, much like Suraya had expected, but that didn’t mean she had trouble finding what she was looking for. Avoiding dirty sheets and dirty clothes, she peeked under the small cot Howel called a bed, and grinned. So predictable. Her grin widened as she felt the weight of the bag she pulled from under the bed. The profits of the past three days were in there. She opened the bag, peering inside for a moment. Silver and gold shone back to her. “Take that, you pervert!†she half shouted, turning to look at the door instantly, worried she might have given herself away. There were shouts from all over the camp now, but it didn’t sound like anyone was getting closer. “Time to split.†She muttered at her new best friend, the bag full of coin.

For some odd reason no one had thought to look if she was at her wagon yet. Or maybe they had, and found her gone at that time. Either way suited her just fine. She could hear Fitch roaring at the acrobats and other people, but from the sound of it he wasn’t getting any closer. “Thank the Light for small favours.†She said, grinning at her horse as she attached the mare to the wagon carefully. Fortunately she always made sure she was ready to travel. Before she had been left to fend for herself the old Gleeman had told her all about the life on the road, and how sometimes friendly patrons turned unfriendly when the subject of payment was broached. That always meant that a certain haste was required when departing. Suraya was always ready to depart.

Now usually she would take time to see everything was fastened properly, but something told her Fitch wouldn’t be pre-occupied with the fire forever. Sooner or later he was going to come looking for her again, eager to blame her. She didn’t even think less of him for it. It made sense, really. They had argued, he had tossed her out of the tent and laughed at her, and the logical step in a man’s mind would be that she had to be responsible for torching the place. She snorted at that. “Idiot. I wouldn’t torch the place with all my stuff still here. He must think I’m stupid.†She shrugged. It didn’t really matter anymore. She had what she deserved, and she was leaving. Right now. If only she could find Sterre.

She would have called out to the other woman, if not for the unwanted attention that would draw to herself. “Come on girl…†she muttered, spurring her horse slightly to get it to the edge of the camp. Surely she would come… Suraya still had all her things. She almost breathed a sigh of relief when Sterre hopped onto the wagon next to her. Almost, because she was too preoccupied with spurring the mare into action. “Go! Take us to safety, my precious!†she said, her voice a little raw from fright. For a while they travelled in silence, Suraya trying to get a grip on the event and Sterre… well, who knew what Sterre thought.

When they were far enough from the camp, Sterre turned to her and grinned. "So tell me Suraya, DID you light the place on fire?" Suraya’s eyes widened for a moment. “Of course not! I’m not stupid enough to light a fire when the grass is dryer than my aunts. Not with my wagon still in reach of it… It must’ve been one of those acrobats. Probably Rufus. He would be stupid enough to ruin his own income. He doesn’t have a chance on making a living with an actual legitimate menagerie.†She shook her head, a strange feeling of mirth bubbling up inside of her. She laughed suddenly. “Boy, but he sure did get what he deserved, eh? I was so worried he’d come look for me the instant the first spark hit the tent. Fool man.†Her eyes twinkled as she thought of the money she had stored in the back. “Oh well, at least we didn’t leave empty handed.â€

"Of course not!" Suraya protested. Her eyes flashed angrily in Sterre's direction for a moment before she looked back at the road again. "I’m not stupid enough to light a fire when the grass is dryer than my aunts. Not with my wagon still in reach of it… It must’ve been one of those acrobats. Probably Rufus. He would be stupid enough to ruin his own income. He doesn’t have a chance on making a living with an actual legitimate menagerie."

Probably true, Sterre agreed silently. A good thing they'd gotten out of there, then. A very good thing. What idiot would indeed set the place alight in the middle of a very dry summer? She hoped it had been Rufus who'd been crying about his wagon being on fire.

Suraya suddenly laughed. "Boy, but he sure did get what he deserved, eh? I was so worried he’d come look for me the instant the first spark hit the tent. Fool man." She chuckled again and shot a mischievous glance at Sterre. "Oh well, at least we didn’t leave empty handed."

Sterre's hand went to her tunic, where she had hidden the package she'd dug up in a reflex. There's no way Suraya could know, right? Nobody saw me and she had been readying her wagon to flee. I never told her about my profession in Tanchico. There is no way she can know. Sterre didn't complete the motion. Instead, she asked warily: "What do you mean?"

Still grinning, Suraya handed the reigns to Sterre. “Hold these for a moment.†She rolled her eyes at the nervous look Sterre shot her way. “Don’t worry. She’s meek as a lamb, she won’t do anything unexpected.†Suraya glanced at the mare, as if she wanted to imprint that message in the animal’s brain. ‘Don’t do anything stupid.’ She thought. Then she slipped off the wagon, walking around it and opening the door. Moments later she reappeared at Sterre’s side, the grin on her face big enough to show most of her pearly white teeth. “Look what I have!†she said, holding the bag she had taken from Fitch’s wagon in front of the other girl.

She opened it to show the load of silver and gold coins that filled the bag to the brim. “That son of a goat was going to keep all of that from us. I figured it was only fair that it went to the two stars of his show.†Her eyes twinkled with glee. Fitch really deserved getting robbed by them. After all those weeks having him stare at them, and after all the badly chosen remarks about the shape they were in… Suraya shuddered a bit. “Light, I’m glad we’re gone from there. I wouldn’t have liked being there when the fire is dealt with…†she glanced backwards, half expecting to see Fitch appear.

“I’m sure he’ll expect us to go to Bandar Eban, or even Illian.†She sighed mournfully at that thought. “It’s a pity though. There’s loads of money to be made. I’ve heard rumours that they’re starting up the Hunt for the Horn again. Just imagine that, thousands of brave young lads, just waiting for us to pick them clean.†She shook herself slightly. “Ah well… maybe later. Caemlyn is as good a place as any for now. And with this…†she shook the bag slightly, letting the coins clink together “I doubt we have to worry about a place to stay during the winter either.â€

Suraya returned with a sack of silver that obviously came from Fitch' wagon. She was grinning and looking as satisfied as Sterre had ever seen her partner. “That son of a goat was going to keep all of that from us. I figured it was only fair that it went to the two stars of his show.â€

Fair enough! Sterre had to concentrate on reining the horse, otherwise she would have already burst into laughter.

“Light, I’m glad we’re gone from there. I wouldn’t have liked being there when the fire is dealt with…†I’m sure he’ll expect us to go to Bandar Eban, or even Illian.†Suraya sighed. “It’s a pity though. There’s loads of money to be made. I’ve heard rumours that they’re starting up the Hunt for the Horn again. Just imagine that, thousands of brave young lads, just waiting for us to pick them clean. Ah well… maybe later. Caemlyn is as good a place as any for now. And with this… I doubt we have to worry about a place to stay during the winter either.â€

It was then that Sterre stopped biting back her laughter and laughed freely. "Oh Light Suraya... This is just too funny." The other girl gave her an inquisitive look, as if she did not quite know what to make of Sterre's reaction. Sterre just giggled and handed the reins of the wagon's mare back to Suraya. "Here, I'll show you." She reached under her tunic and displayed the package she had dug up. Opening it quickly, they could make out the assorted jewellery glinting in the moonlight on Sterre's lap. "Seems like great minds think alike, Suraya. Howel Fitch has been robbed twice over tonight."

Their laughter rang through the darkness of the deserted road.