DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sarah Nakamura's Response to Ep 8 Backlash

TheMountain

9 minutes ago, Deviations said:

I made a similar choice after a company I worked for was acquired by another (Johnson & Johnson).  I was a part of the executive team of the smaller organization and J&J gave me a 'stay' contract with an additional two years pay along with my salary.  I pushed back on their desire to move 300+ positions from full time to part time.  I pushed hard enough that they showed me the door.

Just my take, but I think she's greatly enjoyed the boost to her twitter account.  I like Brandon more and more as I see his interviews and on-line interaction.  Down to earth and in it for the story & art.  Everything I see of her has me liking her less and less.  She seems like she's after her 15 minutes.  This may be unfair but I can only judge by the material she's put out there.

Social media encourages vanity by design, so I'm not surprised anyone who uses it falls into those trappings. It also encourages verbal abuse. It's a horrific combination.

Sarah is not unique in branding herself on such platforms.

Aside from that, I'm glad to hear you tried to stick up for your coworkers. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

1 hour ago, Jaysen Gore said:

To this point, and one that has been raised previously, I agree that it was naive for Sarah to think she wasn't going to get this kind of blowback. Because the reality is this kind of entitled feedback - personal, visceral, violent and way past criticism - from fans is now common in every artform, genre and property. WoT has been moderately bad, LOTR was worse, but Star Wars was way, way, way worse - like hire bodyguards and shrinks worse.  It happens to musicians all the time, as well.

Yeah, you're absolutely right.  I remember the backlash Rian Johnson got for TLJ.  I just didn't realize that it had gotten so bad for WoT, to the point where people were telling the showrunners to kill themselves.  That's just rotten.

I wasn't happy with the way the show ultimately turned out, and I have a lot of problems with the direction Rafe went.  But I'm not so entitled that I'm going to tell the dude to drink bleach or anything.  That just seems completely nuts.