DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand Al Thor/The Dark One

Nehsray

Rand, lews Therrin Telamon, Ishamael?

the land is one with the dragon, the dragon is one with the land. I believe they are a three part soul, the dark one was created when lews therrin was corrupted, the forsaken bound, and shaoul ghoul created. Ishamael is his (lews therrin) madness manifest which caused bealzamum to search out his other ,better part, of his soul(Rand). When shadar logath  was destroyed and the source cleansed the last battle truly started between his true selves. 

I think this is a really thought-provoking theory. Building on this idea of Rand and Ishamael being the same being, it helps to ponder some really difficult questions like, maybe Rand is able to return to Moridin's body after The Last Battle because the body is really just his other half anyway, or, another example, maybe he's able to light his pipe mysteriously at the end of the series because he's actually existing in the reality he manifested when he imprisoned the Dark One (his evil half) away from the pattern, his pattern. It makes me wonder if the series can be framed as an introspection into what it's like for a god to manifest their own destiny in a circular fashion, and we are witnessing both the beginning and end of this cycle. Dunno. Really cool idea though, Nehsray! 

3 hours ago, VooDooNut said:

It makes me wonder if the series can be framed as an introspection into what it's like for a god to manifest their own destiny in a circular fashion, and we are witnessing both the beginning and end of this cycle. Dunno. Really cool idea though, Nehsray! 

The end of the series reads a bit like lucid dreaming on the part of Rand.

6 hours ago, EmreY said:

The end of the series reads a bit like lucid dreaming on the part of Rand.

Definitely, EmreY. Are you a lucid dreamer? (I practiced a lot when I was a kid, and had numerous successful experiences, but it's been a difficult skill for me to maintain.) Rand's behavior with the pipe definitely reads like a lucid dream though. He wills the pipe to be lit...so it is. And, from what I've read in the forums, it's a popular theory that Robert Jordan based the concept of Tel'aran'rhiod on the experience of lucid dreaming. Good connection!

Just thought of this. The tinkers song. Rand could sing to the trees make them grow like ogeir. Perhaps that was the so called dark ones power but no one accessed it, in this the fourth age, since the age of legends, because saidin was tainted, allowing Ishamael (perhaps a past life of Rand) to make lews therrin kill his family.  That left saidin tainted and the “song” lost. After Rand choked min Rand used the dark ones power to break the ter angreal he went to dragon mount and blinded the dark one or something he didn’t hide anyway after. So after that he again found the song the tinkers were searching for.  

16 hours ago, VooDooNut said:

Definitely, EmreY. Are you a lucid dreamer? ... And, from what I've read in the forums, it's a popular theory that Robert Jordan based the concept of Tel'aran'rhiod on the experience of lucid dreaming. Good connection!

Very rarely, and usually only when my dreams become comical - and I soon wake up laughing. ? Of course, I agree re: Tel'thingummy.

And while we're on the subject, there's of course more:

“He that was wounded has woken from the dream,” Aviendha said evenly. 

On 12/13/2021 at 4:27 AM, EmreY said:

Very rarely, and usually only when my dreams become comical - and I soon wake up laughing. ? Of course, I agree re: Tel'thingummy.

And while we're on the subject, there's of course more:

“He that was wounded has woken from the dream,” Aviendha said evenly. 

Ah, fascinating! It makes me wonder....technically Rand was the wounded one, Moridin simply inherited the wounds. So is Aviendha referencing Rand with this line? Honestly, I'll have to finish the series again before I feel confident enough to expand on this idea but it's definitely interesting.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, Nehsray said:

Just thought of this. The tinkers song. Rand could sing to the trees make them grow like ogeir. Perhaps that was the so called dark ones power but no one accessed it, in this the fourth age, since the age of legends, because saidin was tainted, allowing Ishamael (perhaps a past life of Rand) to make lews therrin kill his family.  That left saidin tainted and the “song” lost. After Rand choked min Rand used the dark ones power to break the ter angreal he went to dragon mount and blinded the dark one or something he didn’t hide anyway after. So after that he again found the song the tinkers were searching for.  

RJ and BS said the song the Tinkers are looking for doesn't actually exist.  It was just a Legend they held that if they found the "song" they thought had been lost during the breaking.  That finding the "song" would return things to the conditions of the Age of Legends.