DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are they merging Alanna and Myrelle's characters (book + TV Episode 5 spoilers)

Elgee

5 hours ago, SableSage said:

I haven't watched ep. 5, but from ep.4 I've had this feeling, since she's very familiar with Moiraine. Gosh, I like neither of them in the book, so if they merge Myrelle/Alanna in the show...

I hope for this really. I just can't agree with what Myrelle did in the book to Lan. Is that legitimate way to help someone who grieves? And Myrelle could feel what he feels through the bond, right? I'd rather see him break apart in front of Nynaeve. Besides, with how Lan/Moiraine bond being set up, I'm not sure a lot of people would agree with Myrelle bringing Lan to her bed. 

I don't think you're meant to agree with Myrelle's actions in the book; I don't see why you'd be meant to agree with it if it was replicated on screen..? Stories (whether books or TV) aren't just about portraying things we think of as ok, they're also about challenging our perceptions of characters we think of as 'good' by having them do questionable or even downright wrong things.

I remember loads of discussion back when the scene in the book cane out debating back and forth about the morality of Myrelle's actions. Was it completely wrong? Was it justifiable if Lan would have died otherwise..? Did she compel him through the bond (an aspect of the bond the show hasn't touched on yet), or just take advantage of his mental state? Was her motivation purely about Lan or was it about herself as well? 

I don't think the show should shy away from difficult material. They just have to think about how they portray it.