DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Akward Hello (Attn: Bethelynne)

magdeleneinred

Shrugging against the unfamiliar novice white, Jahana was finally walking back to her room in the lower quarters of the Tower. How will I ever become an Aes Sedai, she wondered despairingly. She had gotten lost at least a dozen times in the scant three days since she had arrived here. Jahana finally recognized the novice quarters and sighed with relief. Looking foward to a quiet, if short night, she shuffled to her door.

A surprise was waiting for her inside her room. A girl with long dark hair sat staring at her white dress as if she could not believe what she saw. She looked up when Jahana entered, revealing dark eyes filled with... something. Jahana couldn't put a finger on the emotion she saw reflected in the new novice's eyes, but she felt a connection to how she felt herself.

"Umm, hello. I'm Jahana," she said rather akwardly. Flustered by her lack of tact, Jahana retreated to her bed and hoped the girl wouldn't think she was lack-witted.

~Jahana

Novice

The bust was too tight, the hips were too loose, the sleeves were too long; Bethelynne's very first Novice dress was heartbreakingly hideous. The cut and color and everything it signified was a bit more than Beth could handle. Light, what am I doing? She wasn't sure if she wanted to tear it and herself to shreds or if she wanted to run screaming through the halls and all the way back to Far Madding. One thing was certain, she wasn't expecting to be walked in on during such melodrama.

A silence of the most uncomfortable kind stretched out as Beth stood paralyzed by her own uncertainty and embarrassment. Two similarly lost and down-trodden eyes stared back at her from a pretty face that was equally shocked and uncertain. The newcomer--roommate?--was, the Light bless her, the first to speak. "Umm, hello. I'm Jahana," she said with a mouth full of cotton. Beth, very out of her element, said nothing for a moment, waiting for the Light knew what.

"Hi." That was it? Certainly she could do better. "I'm Beth. Nice to, uh, nice to meet you." She mimicked Jahana and retreated to her creaky bed, sitting cross-legged and looking at her hands in her lap. The silence dragged a bit longer before Beth swallowed the lump in her throat and she found her nerves. "Did you just finish the tour?" A nod. "So you arrived today?" Another nod. "Me too." A small smile. "I am a long way from home, Jahana. In more ways than one."

Bethelynne a'Raposa

Novice

Roomie

Mentee

From her perch on the bed, Jahana nodded woodenly to answer the questions of her new roommate, Beth.

"I am a long way from home, Jahana. In more ways than one." said Beth, with a small smile.

As am I, Jahana thought, remembering her mother casting her out of the Ananda manor. The following months were a blur of grief and movement. Until she had landed here. Jahana had been gifted with a new purpose. Her first challenge was to learn to speak without the fear which gripped her in conversation. Might as well start now.

"I, I come from Arad Do-Doman. Where are y-you from, Beth?" Jahana shook as she forced the words to leave her lips.

• 3 months later...