DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To wield or not to wield...?

Maurelle

Kynwric,

Messers are 'legally' knives, even though there are two handed war knives (kriegsmesser, which is what WoTers are using, :p) that are basically single edged (often w a false edge) swords.

The thing is, messers and falchions (sometimes to two terms are interchangeable, falchions tend to be french and more sword-like, messers are german and more knife-like) are constructed more like knives in cross section and hilt set up (looks more like a wooden knife handle), and they tended to be blade heavy, unlike the double edged swords of the time which were more hilt heavy, and were more challenging to produce (a knifesmit can make a long knife, onl a swordsmith can handle a sword)

Also, cities back then had weapon laws comparable to Tear or Far Madding: not everyone could carry swords around. So lower/middle class of the time, mainly tye artisan class in the towns, got around that by saying when they were 'pulled over'

"Umm, no officer, this is a knife, see the hilt? >_> i need it to umm, butcher meat, yeah that's where i was off to"

I don't know how well that worked but it was worth a try :p

So, there are more reasons than blade length for what to call a sharp metal object.

And maurelle, they didn't generally dual wield short swords/long knives of the same length. More awkward with none of te benefits of using a complimentary weapon like a dagger or sheild. Though do check double dao forms in chinese sword systems, and wakisashi/katana pairing for inspiration. People did it, but it wasn't common (at least not in europe, others might know more about asian styles); much harder to learn wothout getting yourself maimed or killed. And i think there is double rapier somewhere lol but that kind of thing is rare.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/82911-grappling-with-the-knife-atn-tywin/?p=2953845

Thread up, and take your time :)

I'm thinking of having a little game of assassin to try to train Tywin in the mindset of a knife attacker, that is sneak up, ambush, and wail on someone. You know, the way it's done on the streets/in prison. Say, following Visar around town and try to sneak up and get a hit, using any dirty trick he can think of to get close enough.

Then he's gotta defend himself from Visar chasing/stalking him (he'll get a city pass for training and coins for a few nights on the town), might make this more fun than just drills, and throw in some stealth and city survival training :)

Let me know what you think of that idea, and we can take the thread wherever you'd like to take it :)