DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dedicated Training RP: Weapons Training

Andar

Dalinar

DM Member

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2005 08:12 pm Post subject: Dedicated Training RP: Weapons Training Reply with quote

OOC: Waited long enough for this class to start, let's get it on the road too.

Dedicated Training RP: Weapons Training

The sun was piercingly bright this morning, as it reflected off fresh snow that covered the Tower grounds and buildings. It seemed as if there were no shadows, almost, with light being cast into even the darkest corners of the Farm from the cotton white fluffy snowfall.

It was good weather, if a little cold, for a weapons class, and Dalinar set out from his chambers in the central building of the small town that was his home.

He carried his black coat with him today, though he knew he would soon likely be too warm to really need it, but for now it kept the chill away. He also carried his white-wood quarterstaff - hard but light, capped at either end by some Power-tempered substance that Ragnar had created for him, and bound in the middle with dark blue stained leather - and Tower's Honour. That last was unusual, something that he usually kept for ceremonial displays, but today, for this class, the blade that the Tower had sworn fealty to the Dragon on might be appropriate - even if he still didn't really know how to use it. He carried some other sundry items with him, though nothing of particular note.

He found his way to an empty training area, carefully rested Tower's Honour and his staff against a weapons rack, and folded his arms waiting for his students to arrive.

Dalinarius Traachanshield,

M'Hael.

Estel

DM Member

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2005 02:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If Isha could whistle, he would have whistled as he nearly skipped over to where the M’Hael was holding a weapons class. One thing the giant Dedicated loved most was weapons training and using his heavy broadsword. The blade had been passed down through generations of Talcontars and the extravagant- yet gruesomely carved- hilt spoke of wealth that Isha had never actually experienced.

The youngest Talcontar now kept the sword in perfect condition and practiced the few forms he knew everyday to improve his skills. Even though his most powerful weapon by far was not the sword, needed the red-hot reminder of his father’s death and the reason he now wore the black of the Black Tower to keep from forgetting.

M’Hael Dalinar stood waiting in the yard for him and the other Dedicated and Isha gave a crisp salute in greeting along with a grin which he hoped the M’Hael- who he hadn’t ever seen much- didn’t take it for the sneer that the long scar running down his face from ear to mouth tried to give.

Asha'man Isha Talcontar

Tallest, Ugliest Asha'man

Estel Sedai of the Blue Ajah

Promised to Orion, Bonded to Matthias

Lieutenant Carnhain Stromblade

Rowul's Nephew

ADL of the Band

Alianna Karalev, Former Thiefcatcher

The woman who lost everything

Death Incarnate

DM Member

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2005 01:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: Yay! officially dedicated. now i get to play with the big boys. Cool

IC:

Drenn woke earlier then usual that morning from troubled sleep. not due to nightmares or other frights but do to excitement. He had seen Isha last night and even the great scar running down his face could not make that smile look a sneer. Drenn shared his feelings towards sword training. He had accepted the power as part of him, even what it would eventually do to him, but it was somewhat difficult to shake off an entire lifes worth of anti-male channeler thoughts being ingrained into him. He was somewhat more comfortable with his sword, especially since his father had been in the military. Now he would get an oppertunity to expand on what he already knew with regards to melee weaponry.

After his ritual morning exercise and a quick breakfast Drenn headed over to where they were supposed to meet for their lesson. Enjoying the footprints he left in the soft snow Drenn looked around him. His mood dampened somewhat by the completely white snow covered, Black Tower. It caused his thoughts to dwell on the white tower and what the Aes Sedai would likely do to them if they ever discovered the location of their home. He was ripped away from his thoughts and almost lost the void, which he'd held to keep the cold at bay, when he saw the Massive shape of Isha moving throughout the yard. a mere few inches to his movements and he would have been skipping. Drenn couldn't help but laugh at the sight of the obviously overjoyed Shienaran.

Stopping before the M'Hael he saluted in the Andoran manner just after Isha and waited for whatever would come next. He watched Isha who seemed to baely be restraining from bouncing on his toes. Drenn had to admit he was just as excited as his fingered itched to hold the blade hanging on his back.

I wouldn't mind dying in a plane crash. It'd be a good way to go. I don't want to die in my sleep, or of old age, or OD... I want to feel what it's like. I want to taste it, hear it, smell it. Death is only going to happen to you once; I don't want to miss it. --- Jim Morrison

Death Incarnate

DM Member

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2005 09:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC:

*bump*

just kinda hoping to continue this as i'm sure Estel/Isha is aswell. Very Happy and now that hes a dedicated, Rion should be able to join this. that should be quite interesting.

I wouldn't mind dying in a plane crash. It'd be a good way to go. I don't want to die in my sleep, or of old age, or OD... I want to feel what it's like. I want to taste it, hear it, smell it. Death is only going to happen to you once; I don't want to miss it. --- Jim Morrison

TheWitchKing

DM Member

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005 02:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand sliped down the stairs of the dedicateds barracks with his coat hanging open to expose a unlaced shirt. He held his scabered falchion in one hand and a hunk of bread in the other. Opening the door, the light forced him to shield his eyes. Pausing for a moment to close the door and peer about to see who was out, he finnished inhailing the bread. Licking the crums of his lips, he strode out towards the meating place. Shivering, he made to lace up his shirt and close his coat, but in the momentary lax in attention, he sliped on a patch of ice covered up by the fresh snow. Cursing, he picked himself up and tried to shake off as much of the snow as he could. Pulling on Saidin, he was emidiatly blasted with the overpowering flow of bilge. Weaving a simple flow of air and fire, he melted a path to the were Isha, Drenn and Dali were standing.

Making his way with the path was much easier and he made it to were the rest were standing with out disgraission himself again.

Dedicated Brand Ishmar,

The Black Tower

Reanncar Mandro,

Siege Engineer, Band of the Red Hand

Elder Hammad,

Ogier Elder

Andar

DM Member

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2006 09:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

OOC: Dali asked me (some time ago I might add, bloody hotmail) to take over this class for him. So I'll continue it for you shall I. I'm not sure if those of you who have been promoted still need this class, so if you don't wish to continue it just say so. Of course, if you wish to do the class anyway please feel free.

IC:

The dispatch had only just arrived by pidgeon from one of Skechids sources, with his friend, the BT's spymaster away on some mission or another Andar had been recieving and processing the messages as they came in. This one was marked URGENT and after a quick glance at it's contents he knew that Dali had to see it straight away. The M'Hael of the Black Tower was currently in the midst of a weapons class, this message would probably draw him out of it so Andar grabbed his sword and practise blade from his quarters on the way to deliver the message.

He soon found his friend out in front of a small group of students in a cleared area of the training ground. Some soldiers had probably cleared the snow as some form of penance, which was good. Weapons work really did require a clear area. Crossing the ground quickly he waited until Dali stopped talking and then he interrupted, stepping up next to the other man as he did.

"Excuse me M'Hael, gentlemen. I have something here you really need to see Dali. He handed the letter over the the leader of the tower and his friend read it quickly.

"I have to deal with this Andar, can you continue the class for me?" Dali asked quietly. Smiling at his friend Andar nodded and held his blade up.

"I figured as much, where are they up to?" Dalinar gave him a quick rundown of the class and then turned to the students.

"I'm sorry gentlemen, I have some Urgent matters to attend to. Asha'man Andar will be continuing this class. Till later then." With that he gathered his things and quickly sped of through the snowy grounds of the farm to his office.

Doffing his black coat, Andar place his sword to one side and moved to the front of the class. "Ok men, I'm sorry for that interruption. First off will be light sparring to warm up. Pair up please, practise blades only. We don't want any blood if we can avoid it. Not yet anyway!" This last was said with an evil grin as the students began to pair up and face off for some sparring.

OOC: Ok, pair up and do some light sparring for a post or two. If there aren't enough people to go around I will spar with someone.

Andar

Asha'man

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Dalinar

DM Member

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2006 08:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalinar quickly scanned the script on the page as he unfolded the small bit or parchment carefully. Carrier pigeons were useful, he supposed, but he was skeptical about their reliability.

He smiled gratefully to Andar, gave him a quick salute, gathered up his belongings and quickly trekked off back towards his office.

He hoped there was a pigeon ready for flight quickly, so he could return to continue with the class without too much delay.

Dali.

TheWitchKing

DM Member

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2006 12:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

ooc: Yay, back to slaying again

IC:

Brand shifted side to side and smilled, he worked the blade better then any thing else and he was jumping to get into sparring. Looking quickly around he tried to spot Drenn, his normal partner, but in his search for his friend he bumbed into another dedicated. The man spun around and Brand growned, the man hated him and at every chance he could get, the dedicated always tried to get back.

Smilling, Brand made to move around him, but the man halted him with a practise blade. "Come now Brand, chickening out of a fight?" Brow furrowing Brand nodded and went to get his training sword. A heavy wooden scimmitar was his favorite weapon. Turning back, a space was being cleared for the training and the rest of the dedicateds starting to break up.

Addopting a hight stance, with his scimmitar above his head resting on his opposit arm, he relaxed and swayed slowly. Komar stode in front of him, sword in front of him at waist level. Brands stance left him compleatly undefended, but that what he wanted. Komar lunging forward at Brand's open spot brought him sweeping to his side and his scimmitar came flashing down and smacked the man head with the flat of his blade.

Wheeling around Komar cluched his head and let out a slow moan. Chucking Brand slide back into his stance.

Dedicated Brand Ishmar,

The Black Tower

Reanncar Mandro,

Elder Hammad,

Ogier Elder

Estel

DM Member

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2006 05:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

ooc: damnit...I keep forgetting about thes threads...I'm here...I'll give Drenn a nudge too...btw...Andar...we only learn the basic and intermediate Forms, right? not the advanced?

ic:

Isha grinned at Drenn. He waited for Drenn to move as he held Lion on the Hill, waiting for Drenn to make the first move. When Drenn made no move, Isha began with the Kingfisher Take the Silverback before moving into Arc of the Moon.

"Come on Drenn! Let's kick this up a notch!" Isha said, half-laughing as the Courtier Taps his Fan came crashng down hoping to force its way to Drenn's head despite the man's arm trying to hold it back.

Asha'man Isha Talcontar

Tallest, Ugliest Asha'man

Estel Sedai of the Blue Ajah

Promised to Orion, Bonded to Matthias

Lieutenant Carnhain Stromblade

Rowul's Nephew

ADL of the Band

Alianna Karalev, Former Thiefcatcher

The woman who lost everything

Dalinar

DM Member

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006 08:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: Andar can correct me if I'm wrong, but he tends to run the lessons in a way which is, perhaps... a little less structured than the sword forms might suggest.

We try to do it this way because otherwise potentially a player could learn the same forms a few times over in the Tower, in the Warders, in the Band, in the CotL, etc.

Using forms is fine, but I'd encourage you to be descriptive about how your character is fighting as well. I like descriptions of movement, personally, because my eyes gloss over the forms because I'm not well versed in them and can't visualise them as well as I can when I get a physical description of what is going on.

In summary, I wouldn't stress too much about which forms you're allowed in this class, as Andar probably won't either Wink

Dali/Ben.

Andar

DM Member

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2006 12:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

OOC: Yeah, what Dali said. Writing a post with forms is fine, I don't do it though basically because it makes writing and reading the post kinda boring IMHO. If thats how you feel comfortable doing it though thats ok with me. Very Happy

Keep sparring for a bit. I'm feeling seriously uninspired right now (probably due to my hangover) I'll move the lesson along a little over the next day or so.

Andar

Asha'man

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Death Incarnate

DM Member

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2006 01:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: sorry. one of the many other things i've fallen behind on since my computer failed me. but its fixed now! so i'm back. Unfortunatly, I work 4-10 most nights of the week and go to school full time so i'm gonna be much more infrequent then usual.

IC:

Drenn and Isha circled one another slowly. Feet moving purposefully through a dance, designed to lead men to their deaths or the deaths of others. None would die today but Drenn didn't want to be left with large lumps and bruises either. Isha had taught him most of what he currently knew about the sword and it was hardly all of what the larger man knew. Drenn wasn't sure how to engage his opponent as they were far from evenly matched, so he decided to simply continue with the footwork. Suddenly Ishas blade lept towards him in violent and deadly arcs which Drenn barely reflected as he lept back. He was faster then Isha, but he didn't have the strength to match him. He was closer to it then most others but he was still off enough to lose an edge.

"Come on Drenn! Let's kick this up a notch!" Without waiting Isha lunged again. This time coming from above. Drenn could see it coming and brought his sword up to bear though it mattered little. Isha's sword struck his with enough force to nearly bring Drenn to his knees. Now in a half crouch from the blow Drenn fought back with enough force to push Isha's blade away and begin an assault of his own. He didn't know enough about the forms to make them practical in this situation so he merealy stuck with instinct and whatever came naturally.

He began with a downward, diagonal slash across his chest and came back with a crossing slash at his gut. Both attacks were diflected but the second one seemed to have been closer. He bounced back again with a simple thrust to Isha's stomach and when it was deflected he took the momentum to swing around and bring a full forced slash to his other side. Without pause he continued with an upper cut which he flipped about at it's apex to bring down as Isha had done to him mere moments ago.

TheWitchKing

DM Member

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2006 08:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

ooc: Hey how is this class doing, looks like it has died out a bit, Andar, you want to pick it back up?

Dedicated Brand Ishmar,

The Black Tower

Reanncar Mandro,

Elder Hammad,

Ogier Elder

Andar

DM Member

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2006 10:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

The dedicated sparred amongst themselves for some time, while Andar watched all their varied tecniques. Trying to pick out their flaws so that he could correct them all individually. After a good 20 minutes he had seen enough and he called his students to a halt.

"Ok gentlemen! That is enough for now. Take a seat and I will spar with all of you individually."

They moved as a group over against a wall and sat down leaning up against it. Andar took up his own practice blade and ran through some quick stretches and brief forms to warm up.

He finished his warmup and turned back to the students.

"OK, who's first? Brand, I think you can have the first turn. Front and center dedicated, lets see what you've got." He taunted with a broad grin as Brand got up and moved to the middle of the training area across from him.

"When you're ready."

OOC: I know, I'm bad and a crappy teacher. Sorry all, this is waaaaayyyyyyy overdue. Brand, I think you need this class for ashy so you can go first. I think you're probably the only one still left in the class anyway. Drenn, Isha, If I'm wrong and you two still want to do the class just let me know.

[/b]

Andar

Asha'man

TheWitchKing

DM Member

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006 12:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooc: Well once this and the other dedicated classes are done, I just have advance Saidin left until I can get ashy...

IC: Brand smiled back at Andar and adopted a low stance. He was going to need more then speed against the Asha'man. "When you're ready." Brand nodded. "With pleasure Asha'man Andar." And no sooner had he finished speaking that he sprang forward, blade head strait for the heart. Andar seemed not to care as he brought his sword up and completely blocked Brand attack. Springing back and leveling his scimitar in front of him, Brand waited calmly for the attack.

ooc: gah shorty post, sorry, im just kinda out of inspiration when it comes to physical combat... BTW Brand's fighting style is a mix of Arabic and Samurai.

Dedicated Brand Ishmar,

The Black Tower

Reanncar Mandro,

Elder Hammad,

Ogier Elder

Death Incarnate

DM Member

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2006 12:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: I'm pretty sure this and the elemental manipulation are it for me and then i'm done. you'd have to check with Ben though to be sure. either way, both are nearly done so...

• 3 weeks later...

Brand's first attack was an easily blocked straight thrust. The Dedicated reacted well though and sprang back into a defensive stance, his curved blade leveled in front of him. They circled a few times, Andar sent in probing attacks to test his opponents tecnique and speed. Brand was sound but a little uninspired, He turned the basic attacks easily but a few weaknesses were exposed. He was telegraphing a few attacks and falling into some readable and thus predictable patterns. He had good speed though and a good understanding of his chosen weapon.

Grinning at his opponent Andar chuckled, "Are you ready Brand? I'm going to kill you now..".

Guest Dalinar

Mm, I hate to clutter up an RP with so much OOC but it's relevant to both of you I suppose.

I'm pretty sure I haven't run an advanced offence/defence in a long long long long time. You would both need to take that class still. I'll see what I can scrape together.

Cheers,

Dali/Ben.

OOC: OK my bad. It was the Adv. EM I was thinking about not the O&D stuff...

lets see... I did advanced element maniplulation with you Ben. Advanced weapons will be taken care of here and... ya that just leaves the advanced O&D to go.

BTW: WK just to let you know, Samurai isn't a style of combat it was merely a name given to a particular class of warriors in Japan. The fighting style they used was Ken-Jutsu which has now become the sport Kendo. I can't comment on Arabic fighting styles as I'm not familiar with them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ooc:but it is, lest finnish this off ok Drenn? Oh and thanks for the tip about japanese fighting, I knew there was a name flowting about somewere, but I'm not going to swich to ken-jutsu, but more of a korean style. And for arabic, its acutaly realy simple, high form, down angled cuts and once one good blow is landed, close in and use the curve as a bit of a saw to cut the chest.

IC: Brand wiped the sweat from his face. Andar was a realy good swordsman, outclassing Brand by far. "Are you ready Brand? I'm going to kill you now..". Grinning himself, Brand nodded and rased one eyebrow. "Realy Asha'man Andar, I though death was only good for those that happen to fight me." Changing his form, Brand raised his sword over his head, left arm extended and tip of the blade resting on his extended arm. His lower body was completly open.

Andar charged forward and hit Brand square in the chest with a powerfull hit. Brand's body screamed in pain, but he fought it off. Smirking, he lifted again his eyebrow. "Sheathing the Sword..." With a fluid movement, Brand brought his sword back then down the a blow aimed at Andar's shoulders.

ooc: You can pull off a block on me if you want, its your choise, I just though it might be interesting if we brought out that philosiphie...

• 1 month later...

Brand's choice was obvious, he was sacrificing himself in an attempt to kill his opponent at the same time. Andar saw what the other man had chosen, but still the opening was too good to miss. He thrust forward hard, hitting Brand square in the chest, with a crushing blow that had probably cracked ribs and perhaps even drawn blood.

The philosophy of sheathing the sword was grim and something that Andar did not have much time for. His way was to fight to live, although he guessed in an extreme enough circumstance he would take this choice as well. A sword lesson in his opinion though was not the right time or place and it angered him. Something that happened more and more often of late.

Brand's killing blow began and Andar reacted without thought. Releasing the blade, he stepped quickly forward, into a clinch with his "dead" opponent, letting Brand's arm strike him on the shoulder, as he took him down with a simple leg trip, the wooden blade falling from Brand's hand as he fell.

Andar stood back and recovered his weapon, then turned angrily away from his student. "If you make that choice in the future Brand, I suggest you don't make your final attack so obvious. Now go get cleaned up, this lesson is over. I hope you learned from it."

Andar gathered his things and turned to leave, his simmering anger starting to fade

OOC: Ok, we'll call this lesson finished finally. YAY! sorry about the wait. I actually thought everyone had dropped out. I kinda got surprised when I saw this post here. I know it's old, I guess I just missed it. My bad. I'll let Dali know that you finished it Brand. It probably doesn't matter now anyway but I'll tell him. Drenn our other lesson supercedes this one so I'll just wrap it up. Thanks guys.

Andar

Asha'man