DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Special Effects: A thought

Yveva

Guest Yveva

Partially inspired by the discussion about Superman. What do you all think about the use of special effects in movies? Particularly biggole CGI budgets? All of a sudden it occurs to me that at one point big huge special effects were enough to bring people to the theater (Look at that Balrog!). And I am sure, in the wayback days special effects innovations brought people running in as well. But do you think special effects have hit a plateau?

I admit, I watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" last week and seeing the behind the scenes stuff about how the special effects were done in an old-school way was more impressive to me than various flying and explosions.

Guest Majsju

If you ask me, I think Wallace & Gromit are way cooler than any CGI, no matter how flashy. Long live the clay figures! Oh, and hand puppets :D

Guest Emperor

I think CGI is ruining movies and what the general audience expects from a movie. If the special effects are not top notch, then the audience downs the movie, even if all aspects of the movie are great. This movie season, most of the movies that have come out have relied on action or great special effects to float their movie or trick the audience into liking their movie because their acting is mediocre or plot is weak. I have been waiting all year for the movie that just blows me away and have been disappointed at each turn. POTC2, SR, and X3 were all very pretty movies to watch, but they did not blow me away. To be honest, I did not expect them too.

Lady in the Water today. I hope M Night continues to impress me with his unique directing style and non cookie cutter hollywood blockbuster.

Guest Yveva

ooh! I forgot that's coming out now... I like him, 'cause he films nearish where I live. And because even if his movies aren't "perfect" they do tell good stories.

Archived