DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Top Design!

Yveva

I know, I'm way late, sue me.

I was surprised, I actually think I like this show. There are some rough-around-the-edges moments, and clearly the team that was not eliminated was kept on for the drama-factor (the Bravo reality shows seem to cut whoever is boring first).

Here's how it works. 12 designers selected, most from LA. They are given workspace in the Pacific Design Center and put in teams. They're shown five objects from a mystery client and told that they have two days to design a room for their mystery client, the room should be a sanctuary for rest and relaxation... the objects are quirky, and so are *some* of the rooms.

Each team also gets a carpenter and seamstress to help them, $1200 for paint and "$50,000" for furnature and other decorations. Here's the deal for those of you, like me, who didn't know, the PDC is a bigass showroom with all sorts fo furniture, lighting, even a biggole pepper which is bought by one team.

Mystery Client: Alexis Arquette, who, IMHO was a good pick as a mystery client.

Winning design: The one with the swing and sandbox to draw zen designs in (or, if I had it, for my cat to go berserk in... she loves to play in her litter box when there's new litter in).

Losing design: The boring one.

Overall take on the show? Worth a watch, I am interested to see what sorts of challenges they come up with next. Fortunately, because it's on Bravo, it will be repeated over, and over, and over again. (esp good as it will conflict with Lost's new schedule).

last night the designers only had $5000 to spend, instead of $50,000 (whining by designers ensues). They are told they are each given a fact sheet about a mystery client and told that they will purchase paint and furniture, and afterwards they will meet their client. Since the room they will build is a bedroom they also must design and build the bed. Surprise, surprise, the clients happen to be ten year olds and the designers must then scramble to change their designs in to something kid-friendly.

I totally agree with who won, the guy who made the room in to a pirate ship. It was kickass, if I was a pirate-lovin' kid I would have been SO down with that. I also totally agree with who lost. The guy was "the Mayor of excuses village," as Jonathan Adler commented. Overall many of the ideas were very creative... I'm not sure which one I would have picked for myself. I liked the one with a cat climbing pole and walkway around the top of the room... but I have a feeling our cat would just use it for the purposes of evil.

I'm gonna keep posting on this thread even if no one cares! :)

Yesterday's challenge was building a cabana. The designers were divided in to three groups of three and each given a beach location: Tahiti, Miami and St. Tropez. The designers had a day to get everything together and then take it back down, the next day they had to assemble it at the beach.

Tahiti was dissed for not having any roof at all, and I agree. Miami got knocked for horribly coloured paint, again I agree, and the structure for St. Tropez was supercool, but the rest sank. Goyle saved his team. (We like Goyle, even though he loves biig floor peppers a little too much).

In the end she who was responsible for the horrible paint went home. No one is particularly surprised. Next week they get to meet their clients before creating whatever it is they must create, there's a voiceover about being horrified.

I have to continually agree with the judges. The only time I didn't was the first episode where they kept the dramarific team, though they sent one of those home last week. *shrugs*

The show is amusing, but I think I'd rather see more design, the creative process and putting it together, than the drama. But then, even HGTV's "Who wants to be a Design Star?" wasn't that far from Bravo's in the drama department. It is, however, much better than watching the 50 billionth episode of Trading Spaces or Design on a Dime. ;)

I like that they can have craaaaaaazy budgets unlike a lot of the other home makeover shows I've seen. Also, in general, early on in Bravo reality shows it's about drama, but when they get down to a smaller group of people you can see more of the design process.

Ok, I'ma keep talking to myself :)

Last night's challenge, well, I missed the first 20 minutes or so 'cause I was on my way home from watching Lost at Emp's. The challenge (as far as I understand) was to get garage sale items and update them to create a living/working studio apartment space for their client. So the rooms included sitting areas/workspace and a sleeping area. Personally I thought Goyle's design was really good, btu that making the bed woulda been horrible (it was sunken in to a platform... looked cool, but not entirely practical. I don't agree with the winner they chose. I hate that the designers make these beds up on boxes (waist high!) and then don't utilize the space underneath for storage. WTF! everyone loves storage!

Guest Cadsuane

I saw the last half of one of these episodes, and I think if I had cable I'd watch it more often! Unfortunately, I only get 5 local channels, even with rabbit ears. :roll:

Yveva, if you post, I'll read, but not having watched the episode, I can't really contribute. ^_^

no problem :) lalalalaaaaa.

PS though Bravo is really good about including episode content on their website, www.bravotv.com. They have blogs, pictures, episode summaries, additional interview footage, etc. Just fyi :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yveva

I'm ressurecting this thread to bring you a link from the fug girls: Top Fug. I do this because it's about Top Design and I was thinking pretty much exactly the same thoughts about both the show and the judges :)

Archived