DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Merana

szilard

Readers usually skim over her character, but a few of us think of her as a fascinating AS. Her chapters/presence are/is always entertaining, plus we get very interesting observations from her pov. (To paraphrase József Attila: a human amid AS.)

Is there anyone else amongst us who appreciate Merana?

finally,someone opened a thread about merana ambrey,she is one of my unsung heroes,

it's about time,tai'shar szilard.

robert jordan infested the wheel of time world with harridans,creator help me,there's just no

escaping from them,everywhere you turn,they are waiting for you.. with a bludgeon,merana was

a breath of fresh air,her character is realistic,well-balanced,fully developed and for once,

(robert jordan was probably seriously stoned when he created her),she acts like an aes

sedai(servant to all anyone?),i.e.she has backbone but knows her place and acts accordingly.

merana's response to rand severe disapproval about the agreement with the atha'an miere

is hilarious(i laugh my head off everytime i read it):"feel lucky that you have the ships you

want,rand al'thor.harine would have given you a handful! feel lucky she didn't want your

new boots and that ghastly throne of yours as well! oh,by the by,she formally acknowledged

you as the coramoor,may you get a bellyache from it!"

unfortunately,there's neither hide nor hair of merana after knife of dreams,she is probably

with dobraine.

finally,someone opened a thread about merana ambrey,she is one of my unsung heroes,

robert jordan infested the wheel of time world with harridans,creator help me,there's just no

escaping from them,everywhere you turn,they are waiting for you.. with a bludgeon,merana was

a breath of fresh air,her character is realistic,well-balanced,fully developed and for once,

(robert jordan was probably seriously stoned when he created her),she acts like an aes

sedai(servant to all anyone?),i.e.she has backbone but knows her place and acts accordingly.

merana's response to rand severe disapproval about the agreement with the atha'an miere

is hilarious(i laugh my head off everytime i read it):"feel lucky that you have the ships you

want,rand al'thor.harine would have given you a handful! feel lucky she didn't want your

new boots and that ghastly throne of yours as well! oh,by the by,she formally acknowledged

unfortunately,there's neither hide nor hair of merana after knife of dreams,she is probably

with dobraine.

I just love you! :biggrin:  You took the words right out of my mouth!

She's the epitome of (how to be a perfect) AS. That's why I used JA in my op - he said that about Thomas Mann: "a European among whites".

She's really encapsulates everything what I'd like to see from an AS. And when she's hitting rock bottom, she does not give up at all. Backbone, will, vulnerability, compassion, wit etcetc she has everything. I really try to gather my thoughts about her next time.

And thanks again for posting an excellent summary.

I think she comes across the same as most Aes Sedai. Capable, but not particularly exceptional. I agree with Jack though, her scene after she made the Bargain and Rand is upset, makes me laugh.

She was a skilled negotiator but after decades of practice, that is to be expected.

with dobraine.

Personally, I always liked Merana. And Daigian as well. Cadsuane seemed to have very capable Aes Sedai in her group. Merana was very well developed in the little we see of her.

Daigian, being the weakest, always seemed incredibly smart, and was willing to do what no other AS could... Submit. Not to mention she bonded Eben, my favorite ashaman besides Flinn. I was sad when she died.

PS. Been awhile since I have been here. Good to see dragonmount is still active. Good to be back

Archived