DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Introduction

E James Todd

Hello all.  I'm quite new to the forum scene, so please bear with me if I conduct any faux pas – even though I read the excellent "Read this first" post (thank you very much for clarifying on the shorthand!).

My first go-through of the Wheel of Time series concluded a year ago almost to the day, and it captivated me from every aspect.  I need not praise it here, for none of us would be here were it not so well-produced and well-written, but I will say that of particular interest to me was how well the world itself was crafted.  Even with the unfortunate passing of Robert Jordan, I have found several theoretical questions – many of them no more than quirky "what if" scenarios – that could be answered in great detail simply by looking at what Jordan left us.  It blew my mind that a world could be this meticulously planned.  The year following has been filled on my part with on-and-off re-reads of the series, tracking down extra stories that weren't in the primary progression ("New Spring," River of Souls), and learning as much of the extra lore as possible to continuously understand and appreciate the magnitude of what was accomplished.

I have since begun work on a convoluted reference tool that seeks to accurately map Aes Sedai social interrelations within the White Tower (a tool currently being uploaded in chunks to a Google spreadsheet), and have committed the cardinal sin of nerdkind by dabbling in fan fiction.  I only recently discovered Dragonmount, and was so excited by the find that I broke the keyboard extension for my desk.  (Never mind that it was already partially broken and the desk itself is comprised of decade-old particle board; clearly it was excitement that was the final blow.)  I look forward to digging into the annals of this forum and interacting with its members as time permits, and selfishly hope that somebody might take an interest in my little tool so that I can streamline its content and share it with others.

Jason: Thank you very much for creating this website.  You have given me a new pursuit for my free time.

-EJT

Welcome!!!  You spoke for me when you said "It blew my mind that a world could be this meticulously planned." I'm still astonished at the detail of the various cultures/nations/groups. You have come to the right place.

We have a book discussion forum, social groups that are based on the Wheel of Time, and role playing, where you can create your own character within the Wheel of Time world.

Please stop by the social groups. You can join as many as you wish. Just a heads up that you won't be able to see all of the group's topics/forums until you are a member. Please ask any questions you might have.

Good to have you here! And don't worry about the faux pas - I thought it was a bright idea to crouch naked on the Tower steps when I first got here. Luckily some lovely Blue Sedai gave me a novice dress to wear. I think on was Daruya, who's now my Keeper.

Thank you so very much! Any tips on where the best place to discuss the pure theory will be within the forum? The rest of what I've seen is intriguing – indeed, I'll have to tread very carefully around the roleplay areas – but I would really like to bring some more minds in on the rabbit hole I fell into, and maybe leave it to a point where I can crawl out and share it. Perhaps one of the social groups in particular?

Yeah I'd go with the White Tower too *grins*

But seriously ... there are the Discussion Groups for purely theoretical discussions on The Books. You'll find those here: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/forum/8-general-wheel-of-time-discussion/

Where the Social Groups are concerned, it would depend on your personality and interests. My advice would be to visit them all and see what interests you. You can join as many as you want, in the end. And don't be afraid to ask questions!

Archived