DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mats Pre-Rhuidean Memories?

Sistone

His pre fox memories is the old blood coming out, i stil lthink he just a descendant of Aemon. 

At minimum, he is a direct blood descendant of Aemon.

The direct, specific memory of being Aemon along with complete fluency in the Old Tongue before ever stepping through either Doorway seems to go well beyond the scope of simply being just the Old Blood coming out IMO. 

Even Birgitte mentions it later in aCoS-21 when she tricks Mat into having a conversation in the Old Tongue.

Mat tries to say that it's just the Old Blood coming out. She laughs and says a few words, a phase or two maybe and usually not even understanding what they said or not quite is the Old Blood coming out. But to speak the Old Tongue fluently like Mat was is well beyond just the Old Blood coming out.

Sure, she was also talking about how Mat had various accents but the point is that he was fluent in the Old Tongue before he got anything from the Snakes and Foxes.

We know that the evil of Shadar Logoth has to do with Souls so we can reasonably assume that there was something going on with Mat's Soul while he was tainted by the Dagger.

I don't think it's far fetched at all to suggest that upon being healed of that taint, that a window was opened to a past life through his once damaged Soul.

I mean is it really that hard to believe?

Both Rand and Perrin have special Souls, why would the 3rd Ta'veren of them be any different?

It is "the old blood" of Manetheren. Some of the other Two Fields kids have that ability sometimes do, doesn't Egwene several times think old tongue is familiar / stirs something in her mind? Probably related to the same, although not so strong as Mat

Yeah, both Mat and Egwene have similar experiences early on where they both think they almost understand the Old Tongue.

Like I said though, that changes after Mat is healed of the Dagger's taint.

@finnssss,

what's so special about perrin's soul? :wink:

speaking of old tongue,lews therin first language was the old tongue,

yet,throughout the wheel of time journey,rand never uttered a word in

that language,even after his dragonmount epiphany when rand-lews therin

synergy was complete.

the night before the field of merrilor meeting,moridin told rand that lanfear's

new name is cyndane,rand's reaction was peculiar:"cyndane...rand said,

trying out the word.last chance?"

don't you find it odd?shouldn't rand be fluent in the old tongue as birgitte?

@finnssss,

what's so special about perrin's soul? :wink:

speaking of old tongue,lews therin first language was the old tongue,

yet,throughout the wheel of time journey,rand never uttered a word in

that language,even after his dragonmount epiphany when rand-lews therin

synergy was complete.

the night before the field of merrilor meeting,moridin told rand that lanfear's

new name is cyndane,rand's reaction was peculiar:"cyndane...rand said,

trying out the word.last chance?"

don't you find it odd?shouldn't rand be fluent in the old tongue as birgitte?

Perrin either is a human with a wolf soul or, like Slayer, also has 2 souls. Only instead of 2 human souls, he has the souls of a human and a wolf.

Slayer's TAR abilities seem to stem from having 2 souls so I tend to lean towards the same for Perrin.

As far as Rand and the Old Tongue...it never seemed to come up except for the scene you mentioned. That he is able to immediately translate Cyndane does tend to suggest that he does know the OT now. Possibly, Rand simply doesn't realise it just like Mat didn't when he went through the first Doorway in Tear.

It also could be because Rand's synergy was handled by Sanderson, not Jordan. 

His pre fox memories is the old blood coming out, i stil lthink he just a descendant of Aemon. 

The direct, specific memory of being Aemon along with complete fluency in the Old Tongue before ever stepping through either Doorway seems to go well beyond the scope of simply being just the Old Blood coming out IMO. 

Even Birgitte mentions it later in aCoS-21 when she tricks Mat into having a conversation in the Old Tongue.

Mat tries to say that it's just the Old Blood coming out. She laughs and says a few words, a phase or two maybe and usually not even understanding what they said or not quite is the Old Blood coming out. But to speak the Old Tongue fluently like Mat was is well beyond just the Old Blood coming out.

Sure, she was also talking about how Mat had various accents but the point is that he was fluent in the Old Tongue before he got anything from the Snakes and Foxes.

We know that the evil of Shadar Logoth has to do with Souls so we can reasonably assume that there was something going on with Mat's Soul while he was tainted by the Dagger.

I don't think it's far fetched at all to suggest that upon being healed of that taint, that a window was opened to a past life through his once damaged Soul.

Both Rand and Perrin have special Souls, why would the 3rd Ta'veren of them be any different?

We have nothing to go on that Perrin souls is special.  I mean we know of two others in Randland that have Perrin's ability.

RJ said souls reborn again and again for greatness are extremely rare.  So I think it was just Perrin, Egwene, and Mat's luck they were spun out this time for greatness. 

We have nothing to go on that Perrin souls is special.  I mean we know of two others in Randland that have Perrin's ability.

RJ said souls reborn again and again for greatness are extremely rare.  So I think it was just Perrin, Egwene, and Mat's luck they were spun out this time for greatness. 

Except we do.

Being a Wolfbrother requires a special Soul.

DICETOSSER

Is speaking to Wolves hereditary?
BRANDON SANDERSON
RJ's notes say it is a soul-bound ability which basically means every time Perrin Noam and Elyas are born they will have the ability to speak to wolves.
And...

Week 13 QuestionIf a wolfbrother is reborn in another Age, will he be a wolfbrother again? In other words, is being a wolfbrother a trait related to the soul? Can women be wolfbrothers?

Robert Jordan Answers: Women certainly can be wolfbrothers, though the term would be wolfsisters. A wolfbrother or wolfsister reborn in another age would only be a wolfbrother or wolfsister again if that were possible in that Age. The ability to speak with wolves doesn't exist in every Age. In the "current" Age, it is a fairly new thing, appearing not too long ago. There are tales of it, sometimes just vague stories of people who supposedly "can talk to animals," without necessarily mentioning wolves, but remember that Elyas's ability was taken, at least by some Aes Sedai, as a sign that he was linked to the Shadow.

Archived