DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Yellow Ajah Humor Event: The Effects OF Humor

Ryrin

902be51040ea464f6b15d6036754e01c.jpg

More than just brightening up your day, sharing a good laugh can actually improve your health. The sound of laughter draws people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body. Laughter can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, strengthen your immune system, and diminish pain. As children, we used to laugh hundreds of times a day, but as adults life tends to be more serious and laughter more infrequent. By seeking out more opportunities for humor and laughter, though, you can improve your emotional health, strengthen your relationships, find greater happiness—and even add years to your life.

What you can do

1. Share funny moments—even if they are embarrassing—with friends
  2. Host a game night for friends
  3. When you hear laughter, move towards it
  4. Seek out playful people who laugh easily
  5. Learn to laugh at yourself.

How do you integrate humor into your life?

minions_laughing.jpg

I miss the comedy club where I used to live.

Like the saying "if I didn't laugh, I'd cry."  

I tend not to like "slap stick" kinds of humor but enjoy the racey kind in comedy clubs. Pair that with some drinks and appetizers and I'm good.

These are a few more facts about laughter:

"Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.

Nothing diffuses anger and conflict faster than a shared laugh. Looking at the funny side can put problems into perspective and enable you to move on from confrontations without holding onto bitterness or resentment."

I really tend to the latter. My job is basically solving problems and getting people what they need. I once had a 7 year old on hospice. I loved her. It's been years but when I think of her now it's with a laugh or a smile 99% of the time. She was so funny. I think that's how she would prefer to be remembered. Hope this wasn't too much of a downer, as this is the humor thread.

What forms of humor do you prefer? What makes you laugh?

C3E601CC-E79C-4F43-BCF0-F52E94FAE6EE.jpg

1. LAUGH-AT-LIFE HUMOR

2. BONDING-IN-THE-MOMENT HUMOR

3. SLAPSTICK COMEDY

4. SARCASM: BITTER MUCH?

5. SELF-DEPRECATING HUMOR

6. DRY/DEADPAN HUMOR

7. HIGHBROW/ WITTY HUMOR

8. JOKES AT OTHERS’ EXPENSE

9. “BATHROOM” HUMOR

10. QUIRKY CULTURAL REFERENCES

I have a very dry, sarcastic sense of humour.  And being Canadian, we are very good at self-deprecating humour. :)

As for what makes me laugh?  As in out loud laugh?  No idea - I haven't had a genuine out loud laugh in... at least 15 years.  A smile or "LMAO" is about as far as I go ;)  

I still appreciate humour, I love being able to banter with people as sarcastic as I.. I love seeing funny videos (usually involving dogs), they usually make me smile.

Thanks for sharing!

Stress relief from laughter

A good sense of humor can't cure all ailments, but data is mounting about the positive things laughter can do.

Short-term benefits

A good laugh has great short-term effects. When you start to laugh, it doesn't just lighten your load mentally, it actually induces physical changes in your body. Laughter can:

• Stimulate many organs. Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
  • Activate and relieve your stress response. A rollicking laugh fires up and then cools down your stress response, and it can increase your heart rate and blood pressure. The result? A good, relaxed feeling.
  • Soothe tension. Laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which can help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.

Long-term effects

Laughter isn't just a quick pick-me-up, though. It's also good for you over the long term. Laughter may:

• Improve your immune system. Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity. In contrast, positive thoughts can actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more-serious illnesses.
  • Relieve pain. Laughter may ease pain by causing the body to produce its own natural painkillers.
  • Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can also make it easier to cope with difficult situations. It also helps you connect with other people.
  • Improve your mood. Many people experience depression, sometimes due to chronic illnesses. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and may make you feel happier.

I have to admit, at my stage of life, I spend the majority of my free time attempting to amuse myself. I love funny videos, lots of dog ones.

C3E601CC-E79C-4F43-BCF0-F52E94FAE6EE.jpg

1. LAUGH-AT-LIFE HUMOR

2. BONDING-IN-THE-MOMENT HUMOR

3. SLAPSTICK COMEDY

4. SARCASM: BITTER MUCH?

5. SELF-DEPRECATING HUMOR

6. DRY/DEADPAN HUMOR

7. HIGHBROW/ WITTY HUMOR

8. JOKES AT OTHERS’ EXPENSE

9. “BATHROOM” HUMOR

10. QUIRKY CULTURAL REFERENCES

I like all of them, except for Slapstick comedy. I've never really found that amusing.

Also Jokes at others' expense, though that depends - if the other person is "included" in the joke, and game for it, then it's fine (like we used to make jokes about my brother-in-law's amputated leg - he found it hilarious and it made him feel less like a "cripple")

Bathroom humour is also a bit of a tight-rope walk.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived