DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine & Cadsuane

StudentJoe

“The Last I saw her, she said the next time she met you, she’s spank your bottom till you couldn’t sit for a week” Merean in New Spring told Moiraine that Cadsuane has said that. Who thinks she will keep her work when Moiraine reappears in the last book. Cadsuane returned to the tower for a short time after the aiel war before going back into retierment and I doubt Moiraine returned to the tower until the death of the Amylin four or five years after the war ended so neither has met since.

Two women neither of which has ever bowed to another, save Moiraine when she new time grew short and need Rand to listen to her. It will be interesting to see them meet again after twenty years, and to see if Cadsuane will keep her promise.

I'm sure its been discussed before but i couldn't find it.

I doubt she will spank Moiraine in AmoL, but I do look forward to their meeting. Moiraine thought that Cadsuane might be Black Ajah in New Spring, and Cadsuane thought somewhere in the books (I think) that Moiraine had done a crappy job with Rand.

Will be very interesting to see that meeting. :)

Frankly, i dont think Cadsuane has the power to spank Moiraine. Don't get me wrong, i dont think anyone has the power to equal Cadsuane, and she is my favorite character. But Moiraine is no fool either.

Aside from which Cadsuane only goes against fools. Far more likely is Moiraine gaining her respect.

I certainly think Cadsuane remembers she said that and is capable of doing it. I would be surprised if she didn't at least mention it to her.

This was my thought too. I think it will be mentioned' date=' but nothing will happen. If anything, I don't think Rand would let Cadsuane spank her, if he was there. He misses Moiraine and will be happy to see her back.[/color']

Cadsuane is your favorite charectar?

Certainly.

I certainly think Cadsuane remembers she said that and is capable of doing it. I would be surprised if she didn't at least mention it to her.

Perhaps, but Cadsuane also gives respect where those people show themselves worthy of it. When she first met Moiraine she was young, and seemingly acting foolishly out of the arrogance of a young sister who thinks nothing can touch her. It wasn't true--Cadsuane is not omnipotent, she makes mistakes. But Moiraines manner now is worthy of respect. She shows that she thinks before she acts, and doesn't do a lot of the posturing that is such an epidemic amongst Aes Sedai.

Frankly, like Verin and Sorilea, i think that Moiraine will gain Cadsuane's respect fairly quickly. As will Egwene for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Cads will welcome Moraine as she will help teach Rand tears, I think. It should be a joyous reunion and should help soften Rand up a little to be able to remove the first name off his litany. He should be pretty shocked and happy for Thom as well when he finds out he and Moraine are married, LOL.

Cadsuane isn't Black Ajah. The Oath against lying leaves room for sarcasm and hyperbole.

All we have here is a third hand statement from someone known to be Black Ajah about a potentially threatened punishment. But we see the Aes Sedai overstate potential punishments all the time. A great example is when they are prodding Nynaeve in LoC ch. 30. She is pseudo-threatened with, in this order:

Scrubbing pots for the rest of her life

Working in the kitchens all day

Being switched every day

Having her hide peeled off in stripes

Being nailed into a barrel and being fed only stale mush through a bunghole in the end.

Of course, reading on, the Aes Sedai meant none of those things literally. And this is hardly the only time we see it. Cadsuane herself threatens to smack Rand's bottom several times and never does it.

I don't anticipate any serious confrontation between Moiraine and Cadsuane. They'll both have much more important things on their mind. But Cadsuane will not be compelled to spank her because of the First Oath, and her failure to do so is not evidence that she is Black Ajah.

RJ has said the oaths allow for sarcasm. What they're prevented from doing is saying something with the intent to convey false information. Also Cadsuane is speaking of what she intends to do in the future. If it turns out that she doesn't do what she promises that doesn't mean she didn't fully intend to carry out the threat when she spoke it.

actually, in KoD, during Rand's visit to the Stone of Tear, Cadsuane finally channels and smacks his bottom.

just thought i'd mention it

Alas, I stand corrected. But the jist of my post is still valid. The First Oath allows for hyperbole as well as sarcasm, and it does allow one to change her mind as Beckon quite rightly pointed out too.

Archived