DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When did Mat actually die? ***SPOILER***

ashandarei_mat

In AMoL once Olver sounds the Horn of Valere Mat rides up to the Heroes of the Horn and speaks to Hawkwing.

Eventually the conversation goes:

Hend: "Besides, if the other side had summoned us, you'd be dead by now."

Mat: "I did die. Apparently that tree claimed me."

Hawkwing: "Not the tree, Gambler. Another moment, one that you cannot remember. It is fitting, as Lews Therin saved your life both times."

Amaresu: "Remember him! I have seen you murmur that you fear his madness but all the while you forget that every breath you breathe, every step you take, comes at his forbearance. Your life is a gift from the Dragon Reborn, Gambler. Twice over!"

What event are they referring to? When have Rand/Lews Therin saved Mat twice?

The one of the two times Rand saved Mat from the dead was obviously when he was hanging from the tree in Rhuidean but when was the other time?

When Mat had the knife from Shadar Logoth, Rand helped him get to Tar Valon but he never died there and the Aes Sedai were the ones who ultimately saved him, so Hawkwing could not have been referring to this.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinion on this.

If you're reading aMoL I'm guessing you're not bothered about tFoH spoilers... Rahvin kills Asmodean, Aviendha, Mat and others with lightning strikes when they first jump into Caemlyn. Rams later balefires the hell out of him, reversing the last actions Rahvin did, essentially resurrecting Mat. This also appears to have cut his connection to the Horn. The hanging didn't kill Mat, Rand saved and resuscitated him in a normal fashion.

If you're reading aMoL I'm guessing you're not bothered about tFoH spoilers... Rahvin kills Asmodean, Aviendha, Mat and others with lightning strikes when they first jump into Caemlyn. Rams later balefires the hell out of him, reversing the last actions Rahvin did, essentially resurrecting Mat. This also appears to have cut his connection to the Horn. The hanging didn't kill Mat, Rand saved and resuscitated him in a normal fashion.

Of course! Forgot about the Rahvin situation! :)

However, he must have died on the hanging and the brought to life by Rand, as the Heroes mentioned two deaths Rand had saved him from.

Had he died on the tree the connection with the horn should of been severed.  At the tree he must not of been dead dead, just getting really close.  Twice over means Rand saved his butt twice, Mat would of died at the tree and Mat would of died to the lightning without Rand. 

Had he died on the tree the connection with the horn should of been severed.  At the tree he must not of been dead dead, just getting really close.  Twice over means Rand saved his butt twice, Mat would of died at the tree and Mat would of died to the lightning without Rand. 

Makes sense as you say it. Especially after reading over that passage again. Hawkwing does indeed correct Mat on the fact that hi did not die on the tree, but in another time.

Maaaan, these books are good!!

I forgot in which book it was in. Mat was staying with a dark friend Aiel. He fought her I think and then was bitten by one of the hounds that when they bite you, you die. Rand used bale fire and it was enough to cause everything to go back enough so that he was not bitten.

I forgot in which book it was in. Mat was staying with a dark friend Aiel. He fought her I think and then was bitten by one of the hounds that when they bite you, you die. Rand used bale fire and it was enough to cause everything to go back enough so that he was not bitten.

True, however Mat never died on that occasion. He barely noticed getting the saliva on him.

"AMARESU:YOUR LIFE IS A GIFT FROM THE DRAGON REBORN,GAMBLER.TWICE OVER!"

not twice but three times.

king hawkwing and amaresu were talking about two different subjects all together,if your question 

is how many times mat did die? the answer is only once,during the assault on caemlyn.

if your question is how many times rand saved mat's life?the answer is three times.

rand was the one who searched and destroyed the second trio of darkhounds who assaulted

mat's place at rhuidean(the fires of heaven chapter 6),he also was the only reason for the

prompt arrival of moiraine,lan and several maidens to the scene.

sure,it was moiraine who healed mat's arm,but there is no question in my mind that rand swift

actions saved mat's life.

Archived