DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Halfway into The gathering storm...Spoilers

repairman1988

This might come across as harsh, but I had high hopes after slogging through Jordan's inconsistencies. 

So far, I'm loving the direction the series has taken under Sanderson...BUT

The only thing I don't get so far, is Shadar Haran. I just got to the scene where Semirhage was freed by him...Why is this guy not appearing in locations and assassinating people left and right? 

I get the whole 'too long from shayo gul" bit, but when you give this guy the ability to appear in the white tower and directly under the noses of the dragon reborn/wise ones/aes sedai/cadsuane in Arad Doman, it's just ridiculous that he isn't offing good guys left and right. Is there an explanation for this? (the same sort of goes for the gholam, why was this thing not just let loose in the white tower? It's immune to the power and could probably jokingly kill warders. Yet it's doing NOTHING. Like Shadar haran.) 

On a side note, I really prayed that Sanderson wouldn't do the whole abduction/inevitable rescue schtick. Yet here I am, Semirhage being captured and rescued. The same completely exhausted line of 'You have failed me, but here's round 10 to try again, you won't like it if you need another!". There is no danger when anyone important is going to be revived or freed. Rand won't hurt women and Shadar haran can rescue anyone. I really had to put the book down after that. Also, 3 people left to watch a forsaken. Nice one guys. No aiel or wise ones or rand noticed anything. 

I apologize again if this is harsh, I just had high expectations. What are your thoughts? Is there purpose to these inconsistencies? Am i missing something completely? Thanks guys!

Random thought- i can't help but wonder why no one's thought to give rand their terangreal that can block the power...The guy would literally never be in danger of stilling. Unless, they block channeling period? 

Shaidar Haran was still a fade and could still die.  One blast of fire, and no more Shaidar. His job was to be the DO's voice and punisher.  In the companion it says the DO could project a shadowy form of himself into it, but wasn't nearly as powerful as the DO.  But he was still a fade, able to travel shadows and such,  but it could still die like any fade.  Slayer is the assassin not Shadar. 

The ghoalm to my understanding was sort of operating on its own after Samm died.  Not sure any of the other forsaken even knew it was alive.  So to me it seemed as if it sort of went on it's own after Mat.  It might of been immune to the OP, but going up against the whole white tower it would of met its match.  Don't forget Mat died with his medallion on, its immune to flows directed at it, but you could still say make the floor explode under it or have the roof collapse on it, etc...An entire tower of aes sedai hurling things at it, even the Gholam would of lost.

Shaidar Haran was still a fade and could still die.  One blast of fire, and no more Shaidar. His job was to be the DO's voice and punisher.  In the companion it says the DO could project a shadowy form of himself into it, but wasn't nearly as powerful as the DO.  But he was still a fade, able to travel shadows and such,  but it could still die like any fade.  Slayer is the assassin not Shadar. 

The ghoalm to my understanding was sort of operating on its own after Samm died.  Not sure any of the other forsaken even knew it was alive.  So to me it seemed as if it sort of went on it's own after Mat.  It might of been immune to the OP, but going up against the whole white tower it would of met its match.  Don't forget Mat died with his medallion on, its immune to flows directed at it, but you could still say make the floor explode under it or have the roof collapse on it, etc...An entire tower of aes sedai hurling things at it, even the Gholam would of lost.

Good points! Thanks for your response. I'll have to keep reading to find out more about Slayer. The Simirhage part played out a bit better and more purposeful than i thought it would as well.

gholam; in some scene after Sammael's death at Ebou Dar, it tells about new orders.  those new orders I take came from Moridin; Moridin was at Ebou Dar for a while.

That scene I think was in Winter's Heart.  Mat's second fight with it.

Archived