DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Blue Ajah Harry Potter Week][SIGNUPS] HP Mafia 2016 - Gilderoy Lockhart and the Cult of Personality

Songstress

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, if anyone doesn't feel comfortable doing seer cover or don't think they can do it convincingly, don't do it so that mafia can't easily rule you out. If you're the REAL cop, same, we could probably figure it out if you leave good enough hints lol

We failed last year by not having this discussion and failing to do seer cover and then nobody knew who BFGs peeks were until post game...

Technically Chris figured them both out :dry:
doesn't count, Chris was mafia. And I played a terrible game, sorry =(

you were great, especially Day 1 <3

One if the many games when I should trust my early read on you and not tinfoil :dry:

Besides town cleared themselves by lynching mafia :)

Also, if anyone doesn't feel comfortable doing seer cover or don't think they can do it convincingly, don't do it so that mafia can't easily rule you out. If you're the REAL cop, same, we could probably figure it out if you leave good enough hints lol

We failed last year by not having this discussion and failing to do seer cover and then nobody knew who BFGs peeks were until post game...

One if the many games when I should trust my early read on you and not tinfoil :dry:

ONLY d1 >_> I defended mafia all game.

Dragon Reborn was basically a perfect run of this setup <3

Although Laine might not agree :(

And I think Calder broke Chris :(

=(

I'm in a mafia slump BFG. been mislynched too much lately

At least you're not randing mafia 3 in 4 or 3 in 5 games... :(

ONLY d1 >_> I defended mafia all game.

*hugs

Day1 most important!

@Luthine yes in a game like that, have to test differently, but when you know mafia absolutely has to get rid of the seer as soon as possible bc they're the most important pr, you frame your play to reflect that need of theirs and that's why seer cover

Gotcha :)

Thanks for explaining.

It's mainly used for seer-reliant games when there aren't a bunch of other power roles that can make a difference, so you generally wont see it in role-madness games, but yes in games where there's just mafia and a cop/seer. Sure you can really just seer cover in any game as vanilla and you should always in order to protect the PRs since vanillas are only useful for votes >_> 

There ARE people who are anti-seer cover and I'm sure they're around and will give their reasons or whatever why seer cover uncovers the seer instead of protecting them

Depends on Real seer strategy: some like to peek who could be town to stay hidden (since fake peeks are generally "alanna v" or "andrej v" instead of "I have peeked Luthine and they are mafia" since that can be easily checked through lynch and then you could lose two townies), some might go for their nulls. I generally like to peek in my nulls or for someone I know will be alive/useful later game and needs to be cop-cleared. 

Best way to verify a scum peek though is to see if mafia NKs the "seer" the next night, tbh. Would never lynch a cop who claimed someone is mafia. 

The words are English, but that's all I understood of the above post ... lol

Just uhhh please don't make me mafia?

Why not? You will probably be with me after all.

ive been mafia 3 years in a row. Two as Belatrix

looks at Tress Do NOT make me a Malfoy again!

please?

towns probably too much to ask for....

Promise!!!

Seer games are really simple :)

Setup is

1 seer/cop with a randomized N0 peek (i.e.they start the game knowing the identity of one other person who is town)

9VT

3 goons

Strategy wise the goons are hunting the cop and need to find them as soon as possible.

Because there's no doctor in this setup, the cop can't be protected and will be nightkilled as soon as they're identified.

So the idea is that all players leave a fake peek.

I.e. if I'm VT I can say Laine N0 or Laine v (v=villager) and this is my seer cover. If everyone does this the cop can do so to, but leaving their real peek.

Mafia will use this to cop hunt - if Laine was mafia then I've excluded myself as seer due to the incorrect peek and narrowed the pool of people that could be cop for the mafia, so increased the chance that mafia kill the cop :(

But. If I get night killed then it means my cover is correct, and Laine is town 99% of the time. This is SHC (seer hunt clear)

After that there are hundreds of variations on how to play, but the initial basis is straightforward.

Seer games are really simple :)

Setup is

1 seer/cop with a randomized N0 peek (i.e.they start the game knowing the identity of one other person who is town)

9VT

3 goons

Strategy wise the goons are hunting the cop and need to find them as soon as possible.

Because there's no doctor in this setup, the cop can't be protected and will be nightkilled as soon as they're identified.

So the idea is that all players leave a fake peek.

I.e. if I'm VT I can say Laine N0 or Laine v (v=villager) and this is my seer cover. If everyone does this the cop can do so to, but leaving their real peek.

Mafia will use this to cop hunt - if Laine was mafia then I've excluded myself as seer due to the incorrect peek and narrowed the pool of people that could be cop for the mafia, so increased the chance that mafia kill the cop :(

But. If I get night killed then it means my cover is correct, and Laine is town 99% of the time. This is SHC (seer hunt clear)

After that there are hundreds of variations on how to play, but the initial basis is straightforward.

It's difficult and not everyone can do it. I have a hard time reading people until D2. So even though I believe in the method, I tend not to unless I have a decent read. Problem comes in saying you peeked X,then X acts scummy. You then either have to stick with your cover read of X being town or choose to case them.

Of course choosing the latter means everyone knows you aren't cop and it could get you lynched.

It's confusing really and haRd unless you have at least a decent vibe that a player is town.

You have a 3 in 4 chance of being right just by picking names out of a hat. And you should NEVER be lynched for dropping seer cover <3

But I would say that if you're not comfortable doing it then don't :)

BFG and Laine summarized it pretty well.

Seer cover really only applies to this kind of set up because the only PR is the seer (cop for all intensive purposes) and the only way they can safely claim their views in thread is if people post peeks as well.

Generally it is good to wait a bit to actually develop some reads before you claim a peek. Before the game starts the real Seer will be told someone is town so your N0 peek should look somewhat random. Once you get into later phases it becomes a little harder because your fake peek needs to look believable. For instance, if you are providing cover and claim a peek D2 on a pretty obvious townie, it will probably be obviously fake. You have to think of who a seer would want to clear and peeking obvious townies isn't a good strategy.

You also have to consciously think of how to treat your peek, if it is fake. Think from the perspective that you KNOW that person is town and treat them accordingly. This can be done in various ways. Ignore them. Pretend like they aren't even on your mind because to you they should already be cleared. Defend them. Once the real seer dies or claims this can be explained later. Ask them pointed questions for their opinion, etc.

If you are the real seer, a good way to hide is to find someone who you believe is providing good cover and then treat them as if you think they are the seer. Also when it comes to clearing people, focus on the POE. Look for players who a) could be pushed as a mislynch later and b) aren't likely to get NK'd. Peeking someone who could be a target by scum is a wasted peek. The point is that you want as many living cleared players as possible going into later phases. This mechanically can lock the game.

Another important thing to remember is that in this set up it is advantageous for the scum to kill the seer as early as possible.

So, if D2 a VT was night killed, it's reasonable to believe that whoever they "peeked" is also town because that means the scum thought the player could really be the seer. this is sometimes abused by scum to clear one of their own, but also is a big risk because that means they intentionally killed someone they knew wasn't the seer in order to do so - which still leaves them open to having been viewed, etc.

Just thought I'd note... this is ONLY going to be a standard 13'er with a N0 peek if we get 13 players to sign up who are available to start Sunday 7/31.  :wink:

If we don't have 13 players without Elgee and Kat (who signed up only as subs for now) we will go with a 9 player setup, with backups available.

Archived