DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A First Time Reader's Impression of The Wheel of Time

my comment about clergy, that is the Protestant part of Christianity.  the other parts (Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy), do have priests; and I take also bishops/nuns/monks.

about Rand's destination, the first chapters of this book give hints on both the "where" and the "why".

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been fun reading your impressions of the characters as they develop. As time goes on I'll be interested to see how your opinion of Matt may or may not change. By the time I was done reading the series, I couldn't wait for chapters involving him or Perrin. Best of Luck as you continue your journey!

• 3 weeks later...

Currently at 57% of Dragon Reborn

In which  . . .

Perrin tries to do a good deed, but it blows up in his face . . .

Perrin attracts the attention of a unwanted follower . . .

And Min's visions are unfolding . . .

Wow, Perrin has not had a good time and this was a pretty fun bit to read.  I applauded him for going out and freeing the Aielman and almost burst out laughing when Gual the Aielman, instead of sneaking out of town, decided to call attention to themselves and dragged Perrin into killing more White Cloaks.  And Perrin was already on the White Cloak's radar.  

Love how Lan was beside himself with anger with Perrin and would have loved to be a fly  on the wall when he had to tell Moraine they had to get out of dodge without a good night's sleep because of what I would assume Moiraine would believe to be Perrin's unnecessary need to be a good samaritan.

But I feel most sorry for Loial because he was so looking forward to sleeping in his Ogier bed.  I see the following conversation playing out in my head.

Loial: So, little buddy, you care to tell me why I'm on a cold ass ship in the middle of the night instead of in my warm Ogier bed which i hadn't had to enjoy since I left home.  You do realize that two little beds pushed together gives me a cramp and my back aches from sleeping on the hard ground.

Perrin:  Words cannot express how sorry I am . . .

Loial: Just - just tell me why, man.  Just why

Moiraine:  Because he's a Wheeldamned fool is what he is.  

Lan:  Oh look, there's a lame bird, do you want to stop and mend its wing?  I'm sure the mob with pitch forks and White Cloaks will take a break . . .

I also love how Perrin was tempted to throw his unwanted follower over board and I couldn't help but crack a smile when she announced she was going after the Horn.  I kept seeing Perrin lifting her over his head and tossing her overboard, "It's in Tar Valon, go swim for it!"

And when she said her name meant Falcon, I could hear him say, "Go fly for it!"

But then she is likely the Falcon from Min's vision.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading this thread for the first time. Got to say I'm loving your views as a first time reader it's making me very nostalgic. I think I was reading Dragon Reborn in 1999.

Got to say some of your comments made me laugh (not telling you which ones or even why...)

• 1 year later...
Guest Trane

Really enjoyed reading your posts on your thoughts of the series. Know it's been a while but hope you'll continue doing them again!